Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's should either be all or none, stuff like this at WalMart shouldn't be YMMV... And stores that are open 24/7 should have dropped it at midnight, shouldn't they have? And I do hope that all of you who are asking are also having them SCAN the 3DS's... I'm pissed because I had a 3DS for $212 and thought it was an awesome deal but sold it due to no games and needed to put the money elsewhere...wish I could scam the free games somehow for later.

[quote name='darthcollegeguy']Just got one in New Albany, IN. At first scan it didn't show the drop, but 10 minutes later out did. The manager did see the drop, but it didn't seem like he did something special. He didn't know it was supposed to drop today[/QUOTE]

I'm heading to the Lebanon, IN one in an hour or so. If they don't have 'em there, there is another one on the way to work lol

Checked two here in NE Philly, one at 7:30am and one closer to 8:00am. Both of them rang up at $250, they didn't seem to know about the price drop and told me it was "online only for the 12th". I'll check later on my lunch, give them a call prior to driving down.

[quote name='JKSonic']It's should either be all or none, stuff like this at WalMart shouldn't be YMMV... And stores that are open 24/7 should have dropped it at midnight, shouldn't they have? And I do hope that all of you who are asking are also having them SCAN the 3DS's... I'm pissed because I had a 3DS for $212 and thought it was an awesome deal but sold it due to no games and needed to put the money elsewhere...wish I could scam the free games somehow for later.[/QUOTE]

It will be *all* stores - once the Department Managers work the price changes. There's a multitude of reasons why the price change isn't "automatic" and must be worked by the department manager.

Keep in mind, this wasn't something Walmart advertised as starting today. It was something that was leaked onto the internet.

Just got mine! I called 3 times b4 and they said no, but when i go there i asked them to get um, gonna play some zelda and splinter cell!

[quote name='JKSonic']It's should either be all or none, stuff like this at WalMart shouldn't be YMMV... And stores that are open 24/7 should have dropped it at midnight, shouldn't they have? And I do hope that all of you who are asking are also having them SCAN the 3DS's... I'm pissed because I had a 3DS for $212 and thought it was an awesome deal but sold it due to no games and needed to put the money elsewhere...wish I could scam the free games somehow for later.[/QUOTE]

You can have all the free games for later, you just have to play them on your PC. They're all free to download all over the internet.

Can a Walmart price even be YMMV ? I wonder if the people that have already tried have just gone too early, then again I never shop in Walmart.

Just picked up 3 of them at Walmart in West Haven, CT. Rang up $169 each but online still $249. Pretty much done Xmas shopping for kids now to log each in for free games. Thanx everyone for tip.

[quote name='UncleBob']It will be *all* stores - once the Department Managers work the price changes. There's a multitude of reasons why the price change isn't "automatic" and must be worked by the department manager.

Keep in mind, this wasn't something Walmart advertised as starting today. It was something that was leaked onto the internet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah basically it's either a mistake or it's Walmart trying to scam Nintendo by getting a jump on the price drop and tons of sales...free advertising. Either way I can't see it going well. You'd think Nintendo would be pretty pissed off about this (and anybody else breaking the date).

[quote name='atc250es']Anyone know a good spot for free wifi, I tried connecting my 3ds at mcdonalds but you have to accept the terms of use with the Internet browser and when I try to get on the browser it says that's it's not available without a system update but I can't connect to update it![/QUOTE]

If you have a Dunkin Donuts by you, try that. Failing that, your local library should have a wifi signal. You need to find a totally open wifi signal, one without browser authentication (obviously :p).

[quote name='Lkr721993']is OoT recommended even for someone who doesn't particularly enjoy Zelda games?[/QUOTE]

Probably not, but it depends what type of Zelda games you don't like...

Cleveland (brooklyn) ohio walmart didnt have the prices in effect but had the paperwork at the register. Girl had to get a manager to do an over ride . She said "sell them all today, its ineffect and we the only ones at this price" . then she yelled at someone for not having it priced right. either way great deal and there are 3 of each color left there.

[quote name='Supreme0ne']hey that's where i just was![/QUOTE]
[quote name='pandanese90']You two should of made out[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Cheapie McGee']Everyone's so damn serious this morning...you really made me laugh with this one![/QUOTE]

LOL np XD!
Might pick up one today

It seems ALL Rhode Island stores have made the switch to the $169.96 price while the Massachusetts stores that I called have not.It's probably a YMMV thing.

I just stopped at a store on the westside of Houston. Lady scanned it with a hand scanner but it still came up as $249. I've found a few on craigslist for like $150 with a game. I think I"m going to go that route. Is there any reason I shouldn't (like I won't be able to register my own account and therefore get the free games)?

[quote name='sbaker44']I just stopped at a store on the westside of Houston. Lady scanned it with a hand scanner but it still came up as $249. I've found a few on craigslist for like $150 with a game. I think I"m going to go that route. Is there any reason I shouldn't (like I won't be able to register my own account and therefore get the free games)?[/QUOTE]

Was this the Dunvale location?

Just picked one up for the new price in Hermitage, PA. They had 2 black and 3 blue left. Thank you soooooo very much Cheapy!

Just picked one up in Plano, TX (Spring Creek @ US 75). The price was listed as $249, but when I talked to a manager, he saw that the price drop was in his morning to-do list, so he went ahead and updated it to $169 for me.

[quote name='NukaCola']Called up mine but she told me it came up as 249 with a scan. Should I go over anyway?[/QUOTE]

yeah its not an automatic update, so i would go in and just be nice about it. maybe mention that people were reporting that a manager had too do it, when a manager comes he will want to sell a $170 item most likely. the regular people you talk too on the phone wont care as much

[quote name='Gadget Man 007']Was this the Dunvale location?[/QUOTE]

Nope, farther West on Kirkwood. Let me know if you have any success at Dunvale.

Still $249 in Chicago. Picked one up though and will pm later today. (if they ever get around to adjusting the price)

Got one in D'iberville, MS! Just got back. (I'm in CST). They had 4 of the blue ones and I think 2 of the black ones even though the website showed limited stock. It was marked $249.99 but I told her that I heard there was a price drop today and she got out her price gun and checked it and sure enough came up as $169.99. I believe I actually got lucky and she was the manager. She already had the price gun in her hand. Plus they just got out of a meeting because I heard them announce for managers to come to receiving on the PA.

Thank you Cheapy and everyone posting on this post!!!

EDIT:
One more thing, note this on Nintendo's website:
"Are the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Games Eligible for Club Nintendo Coins?
Answer:

Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors who link their Nintendo 3DS systems to their Club Nintendo account prior to downloading their games will be eligible to earn Coins for the 20 free games."

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...menu=about&submenu=ctr-gi-amb-program-what-is

(click on that question on the left)

ok I live in tulsa ok went in about 15 mins ago they have a good quantity in stock. went to register and it rang up 249.99 i told him that the price drop was supposed to happen and he asked another lady that had a talzon gun to check for the markdown and she said she had it in the gun she pressed a few buttons a new ticket printed out one for blue and black told him to void current transaction and ring again and then success!!!! woohoo i am now the proud owner of a aqua 3ds....good lyuck to the rest of you guys happy hunting!

I'll be heading out to my local (Strongsville, Ohio) walmart in a bit to see if I can pick one up. Its good to see that other Ohioans have gotten the deal.

[quote name='sithspawn']hey posting from my shitty phone. Deal is good. Just picked up two for 169.99 each. Will post photo proof when I get to work.

FYI I'm in MI on EDT[/QUOTE]

Here is a pic of the receipt: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7704&pictureid=24290

They had a bunch of black and blue ones. I picked up two black. The guy there said that price changes like this usually happen in the early mornings - not at midnight as many of us had suspected. I picked them up around 8am EDT with no issues. They didn't have to get a manager to do anything special. He rang them up and I walked out. For those on the west coast I'd head in around 7am - the deal is real.

Oh yeah - let me throw out a thanks to CheapyD!

Success in San Antonio, TX!!! Stopped in at 410 and Military on my way to work just to be safe. They were still tagged $249. so I asked the lady if she could do a price check, she knew about the drop but informed me it hasn't gone through the system yet. I politely asked her to check again and Bingo! there it was. There were only 3 blacks and 3 blues left so I'm glad I didn't wait until lunch. Thanks for the heads-up Cheapy!!!

)-(

[quote name='JKSonic']Yeah basically it's either a mistake or it's Walmart trying to scam Nintendo by getting a jump on the price drop and tons of sales...free advertising. Either way I can't see it going well. You'd think Nintendo would be pretty pissed off about this (and anybody else breaking the date).[/QUOTE]

Walmart is the 10,000 lb gorilla. In retail, they can do and demand just about anything they want.

Heads up, just called my Massillon, Ohio Walmart and the lady told me they have the system for $170. She told me they had plenty of them.

[quote name='Nintendonly']It seems ALL Rhode Island stores have made the switch to the $169.96 price while the Massachusetts stores that I called have not.It's probably a YMMV thing.[/QUOTE]

And which Walmart's specifically in Rhode Island? The Coventry Super Walmart doesn't have the price drop.

Picked up a black system for $169 at the Georgetown, KY store with no hassle. Even had a conversation about how poorly they were selling at $250 during checkout. Thanks, CheapyD!

Oh, and to the guy who was looking for somewhere to update the firmware, try Wendy's, if you have one near you. I drove around town and didn't have any luck anywhere else. Hahahaha

[quote name='zenne96']I'm taking that it was just a rumor[/QUOTE]

People like you need to be banned. Read the thread.

bread's done
Back