Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
when you sign up for ambassador program/register the nintendo account, is it transferable from console to console like xbox live? say i get another 3ds in the future?

or is it like the wii and you'd have to get nintendo to do it.

Drove 45 minutes to my nearest, lol, Walmart and got a "Cosmo" Black 3DS for the reduced price. Picked up Zelda Oot 3D along with it. Set it up, I'm part of the Ambassadors program now. Thanks again CAG!

[quote name='frpilot']when you sign up for ambassador program/register the nintendo account, is it transferable from console to console like xbox live? say i get another 3ds in the future?

or is it like the wii and you'd have to get nintendo to do it.[/QUOTE]

There is a 3DS to 3DS transfer option, but Nintendo hasn't released a system update to enable it yet.

[quote name='Chadt74']Quick question for those of you who price matched at BB, do you go to customer service or deal with someone in electronics?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I picked up a 3DS, walked over to the Electronics guy (they checkouts in that department in my Best Buys), showed him my printout and he matched it without even calling.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']I just called 4 target store and they ALL said they're still 249. -_-

They said they even scanned it and it still rang up 249[/QUOTE]

It would help us and you if you let us know where you are/called.

Short version:
Bought 2 3DS's on Sunday at Best Buy and they price matched Walmart for me yesterday at the service counter.

Long version:
My kids (boys, ages 4 and 6) sold their DSI XLs, some of their toys and the Kinect over the last month to pay for 3DSs for when Pokemon Rumble Blast comes out in Oct (the first one is their favorite game ever). They had accumulated a little over $400 and we were going to go on Friday to get the 3DSs.

Saturday I called best buy and asked if they would price adjust on friday. They said yes. Sunday I went to the service counter and asked and they also said yes. So I took the boys over to get the 3DSs (as a surprise) and my 6 year old was ecstatic. He picked the blue one and hugged it like it was a stuffed animal. My 4 year old decided he did not want a 3DS and instead wanted some pretzels. So it must have looked ridiculous for me to be saying "Do you want a 3DS or do you want mini pretzels?". Anyway I got the second 3DS anyway because I knew the second I walked out of the store he would be crying that he didn't get one. He didn't get the pretzels either. So obviously I look like I have uber spoiled kids that don't care about the value of a 3DS but whatever, he's only 4. So anyway we pay full retail and I went back last night and the price adjusted it for me. The lady called walmart and she had no idea the price drop was so much. She said "169?!" and then when she hung up said "Wow, what a drop". So all the refund went through and we are good to go. Best Buy Customer support called me today to tell me that they would pricematch anyone (I originally sent them an email on Friday to ask) but they said "oh we see in the system here you already bought it and had it price adjusted yesterday". A little surprised they harvested my info like that but oh well.

[quote name='watcher0']It would help us and you if you let us know where you are/called.[/QUOTE]
I'm from Cali. I called early. I guess the price has to be manually adjusted like walmart or something? I just found it hard to believe all stores claimed it was 249.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']Short version:
Bought 2 3DS's on Sunday at Best Buy and they price matched Walmart for me yesterday at the service counter.

Long version:
My kids (boys, ages 4 and 6) sold their DSI XLs, some of their toys and the Kinect over the last month to pay for 3DSs for when Pokemon Rumble Blast comes out in Oct (the first one is their favorite game ever). They had accumulated a little over $400 and we were going to go on Friday to get the 3DSs.

Saturday I called best buy and asked if they would price adjust on friday. They said yes. Sunday I went to the service counter and asked and they also said yes. So I took the boys over to get the 3DSs (as a surprise) and my 6 year old was ecstatic. He picked the blue one and hugged it like it was a stuffed animal. My 4 year old decided he did not want a 3DS and instead wanted some pretzels. So it must have looked ridiculous for me to be saying "Do you want a 3DS or do you want mini pretzels?". Anyway I got the second 3DS anyway because I knew the second I walked out of the store he would be crying that he didn't get one. He didn't get the pretzels either. So obviously I look like I have uber spoiled kids that don't care about the value of a 3DS but whatever, he's only 4. So anyway we pay full retail and I went back last night and the price adjusted it for me. The lady called walmart and she had no idea the price drop was so much. She said "169?!" and then when she hung up said "Wow, what a drop". So all the refund went through and we are good to go. Best Buy Customer support called me today to tell me that they would pricematch anyone (I originally sent them an email on Friday to ask) but they said "oh we see in the system here you already bought it and had it price adjusted yesterday". A little surprised they harvested my info like that but oh well.[/QUOTE]

You could have bought two bags of Pretzel as an extra surprise for each one!

[quote name='watcher0']Seeing a Wii bundle for $134 made me realize that it's not yet time for me to buy a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are right!

And it only took 5 years to drop from $250 to $134!

[quote name='raque']Confirmed price at Target in Milwaukee area at $169.99.[/QUOTE]

Me too, just price matched the one I bought last week and got the price adjustment at Bestbuy after the dude called Target. Snapped a pic, too lazy to upload it though.

[quote name='Fernando Rocker']You could have bought two bags of Pretzel as an extra surprise for each one![/QUOTE]

Or just price matched Walmart's pretzels.

I have it from a trusted source that Wal-Mart will be dropping the pretzels before other retailers.

On topic though, I'm really happy with my purchase. I'm not all that jazzed about 3D in general, but it looks pretty darn good on the 3DS. The AR games are a cool little twist.

I am going to get one in about an hour. Are there any recommendations for cases/protectors that do not add much bulk to it. I am one of those people that does not like a single scratch on my consoles.

[quote name='eliter1']I am going to get one in about an hour. Are there any recommendations for cases/protectors that do not add much bulk to it. I am one of those people that does not like a single scratch on my consoles.[/QUOTE]

Ive tried a few and it appears that the box it comes in is the best protection.

[quote name='eliter1']I am going to get one in about an hour. Are there any recommendations for cases/protectors that do not add much bulk to it. I am one of those people that does not like a single scratch on my consoles.[/QUOTE]

this shit is going on youtube

Called my Target and the lady said the sticker price says the new price, so I put one on hold to get today.

Picked up Aqua Blue and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for $202.16 (with friend's discount). Assuming GBA will be 5 bucks a pop and the NES games are probably 2 bucks, i'll be saving $70 bucks (prob be different but a given estimate) on top of that i saved $20 dollars extra thanks to a friend who works at walmart as part time.

Thank you CAG!

[quote name='meatwad3000']it's a deal at Target right now, unfortuantely when I was at best-buy I couldn't PM because the closest target to me is in Portland, Maine which is over an hour away from Auburn x_x. If you can jump on that deal I recommend it Ghost Recon from what I hear is an awesome game.[/QUOTE]

Ghost Recon is awesome. I don't even really like turn based strategy games, but this one is well done. Not super complicated, good different classes, varied missions, good use of 3D. Multiplayer is pass-the-DS, though. Definitely worth $17.

Picked a 3DS up at walmart for $169.00 no problem. That, and got OoT in the mail for free same day from some survey points I had saved up. Not bad for $180. Thanks for the heads up cheapy!

Yesterday, Wal Mart hadn't updated the prices and the cashier thought I was confused and wanted a DSi, so I left and was gonna go back today. However, when I heard Target dropped the price as well, I went there and while it was ticketed at $249, I asked the guy workin in the Electronics section to price check it and it was $169, wooo!

Price matched at BB the video game section guy tried to tell be the store had to be within 10 miles and when I said the website said 25 he called me a liar... I have a big problem with people calling me a liar and I think the guy noticed because he told me to double check at CS. The CS chick was nice and was on hold with Target for like 10 min. Didn't get any games since rarely pay retail price for anything.

[quote name='eliter1']Price matched at BB the video game section guy tried to tell be the store had to be within 10 miles and when I said the website said 25 he called me a liar... I have a big problem with people calling me a liar and I think the guy noticed because he told me to double check at CS. The CS chick was nice and was on hold with Target for like 10 min. Didn't get any games since rarely pay retail price for anything.[/QUOTE]
you should have PM'd the $17 ghost recon from target

I'm using one of HORI's silicone covers and love it. it doesn't add too much bulk to the system and it prevents it from getting all fingerprinty tm.

amazon.com carries the black version, but HORI also makes a clear "white" version as well
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-...LQA8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313012002&sr=8-4

"fingerprinty" is a copyright "moon on a stick, inc". use without the implied written consent will incur the wrath of a large moon with a scary face descending upon your city, town or village within a 72 hr period

What do you guys think about the Hori 3DS protector case (the hard plastic version)? How about those generic 3DS crystal hardshell?

[quote name='Lkr721993']you should have PM'd the $17 ghost recon from target[/QUOTE]

I didn't know about that until after I had left the store but I don't think I would have liked to play Ghost Recon on my 3DS when I have never played the console versions.

[quote name='eau']What do you guys think about the Hori 3DS protector case (the hard plastic version)? How about those generic 3DS crystal hardshell?[/QUOTE]

Depends. My little brother had a crystal hardshell but if something gets in there it can scratch the surface. It might be ok for older people who keep dirt away but I wouldn't use one since I saw that.

[quote name='eliter1']I didn't know about that until after I had left the store but I don't think I would have liked to play Ghost Recon on my 3DS when I have never played the console versions..[/QUOTE]

The 3DS Ghost Recon is absolutely nothing like the console ones by the way.

[quote name='Jon7']The 3DS Ghost Recon is absolutely nothing like the console ones by the way.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that is the case but I don't want to get an impression of a game and then get a completely different thing on the console. I am going to do some research on it and maybe I'll go back and pick it up.

I picked up the Nyko PowerPak today. It makes holding it easier if you have big hands. The back cover is soft instead of the slippery plastic Nintendo back cover.

[quote name='sixspeednissan']I picked up the Nyko PowerPak today. It makes holding it easier if you have big hands. The back cover is soft instead of the slippery plastic Nintendo back cover.[/QUOTE]

Been thinking of getting the powerpak.

Does it make the system noticeably heavier? Does it work with the stock charger or do you need to buy a new charger?

Despite not considering this a "deal":

- You're not "getting" any actual games, but rather a DRMed service / lease.
- Still a relatively high MSRP.
- Launch model of a Nintendo handheld.
- Still region-locked.

I'm interested in any early adopter club put out by Nintendo (Nintendo Fun Club, anyone?) and wondering what else I get as an ambassador.

I picked up the last black 3DS from Target.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']How long should the update take? It's taking forever on this hotel's Wi-Fi and it keeps erroring out.[/QUOTE]
the firmware update should only take a few minutes (3-5)

you might want to search out a restaurant that offers unsecured internet access vs. the hotel connection. I've always found them dodgy at best

[quote name='j.m.ratkos']the firmware update should only take a few minutes (3-5)

you might want to search out a restaurant that offers unsecured internet access vs. the hotel connection. I've always found them dodgy at best[/QUOTE]

I actually finally got it to go through, wooo!

[quote name='pandanese90']anyone got any good games for dl on the store??? i cant wait for any mario game on the ambassador program[/QUOTE]

Well a lot of you are late on Excitebike (free for early adopters) but it was cool to see what a Nintendo Classic in 3D would look like.

[quote name='rbarba4']Been thinking of getting the powerpak.

Does it make the system noticeably heavier? Does it work with the stock charger or do you need to buy a new charger?[/QUOTE]

It makes the 3DS noticeably heavier but gives a better grip on the system especially for people with larger hands. Well worth the extra heft.

It does work with the stock charger but not the charge base. Nyko sells a base along with the Power Pak for several bucks more though.

[quote name='reddjoey']There is a 3DS to 3DS transfer option, but Nintendo hasn't released a system update to enable it yet.[/QUOTE]

Wait...we WILL be able transfer the downloaded games over to the eventual 3DS lite?! I thought it was tied to the system for some reason.

~$185 total (including tax) for a handheld? An Xbox 360 or Wii can be found for around the same price. $120 is the sweet spot for me. To those who picked it up already, enjoy it! I'm too cheap to pull the trigger right now. :p

[quote name='darrenaero']Wait...we WILL be able transfer the downloaded games over to the eventual 3DS lite?! I thought it was tied to the system for some reason.[/QUOTE]

They're tied to the system in the sense that you can't re-download the games on another 3DS. They better have a way to transfer games to another 3DS model or they're basically insuring that few people update.

[quote name='pandanese90']anyone got any good games for dl on the store??? i cant wait for any mario game on the ambassador program[/QUOTE]

I really like Mario's picross, Qix, and Legend of Zelda Link's awakening.

I'm sure someone already posted this but I checked today and Target had the 3DS also listed and displayed with a $169.99 price tag, jumped on it since I had a gift card for $50 from them, I didn't pick up any games, going to Ebay to see what games are available there, also will pick up a case and screen protector since I heard that the bottom screen scratches the top screen when shut closed, thanks Cheapy for the early info on this deal, would have waited for Black Friday for a deal but I want to get thee free games, hopefully some good ones, one last thing doesn anyone know if i can watch youtube on the 3ds?

bread's done
Back