Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

[quote name='sunghost']Can anyone confirm if you can still get the 1000 free DSiware points for the american DSi XL? Someone on gamefaqs said they didn't get any free points after logging into the shop and setting up their account/linking it with nintendo club :(.[/QUOTE]

that offer ended

[quote name='62t']that offer ended[/QUOTE]

Hm ok.. so the NA offer ended, but the UK offer is still going on till march 31st? That sucks.. wouldn't it be better to have bought a UK DSi XL? The only sacrifice I can think of is losing the ability to purchase NA games from the DSiware shop.

Hmm, i'm still on the fence of whether I should get one. My DS lite still works, but the hinge is cracked and whenever the top screen isn't in this perfect postion, the screen is just white. And I really like the bigger screen, but the price is a bit high right now. Decisions, decisions.

Just got my XL, and not only is the screen size great, but the viewing angles are a lot better now too. It's also much easier to use the stylus accurately on the larger screen.

The only thing I notice is that on a pure white screen, the top screen is slightly pink/white while the bottom is pure white. Can't really tell while gaming though, so it's not much of an issue.

I'm very happy with this purchase. Much better than my DSLite for sure.

[quote name='UncleBob']
0328000121.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is that the Panasonic Q specific GBA Player there on the left? Damn...

Think I've got everything in that pic except for that and the Super GameBoy 2 lol.

got mine this morning and i love it. the screens are amazing. good size, adjustable brightness and good looking. games look awesome on it. got warioware diy and pokemon heartgold and am having a blast.

Gaah, really on the fence about this as well. I have a black DSi that still works absolutely perfectly, but the XL is tempting. I love the bigger screens, but hate how much bigger the entire thing is. Being a woman, it's easy to carry it in my purse, but I'd hate to have to pull something out that's as big as an old cellphone. Maybe I'll wait for a better deal to come up.

I picked up my preordered DSi XL today, and the top screen has a very noticeable piece of dust stuck in the top screen.. so I'm going to try exchange it later. Hopefully gamestop won't give me any problems when I try to explain it, kinda defeats the purpose of preordering it though.

The big new screen is nice and the volume is finally loud enough that I dont need headphones but im still split on this. My hands are kind of cramping playing with it and there is no place to insert the big new stylus which is kind of annoying.

[quote name='sunghost']I picked up my preordered DSi XL today, and the top screen has a very noticeable piece of dust stuck in the top screen.. so I'm going to try exchange it later. Hopefully gamestop won't give me any problems when I try to explain it, kinda defeats the purpose of preordering it though.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine at Walmart for this very reason. I started to go to gamestop or was going to order on Amazon and then thought of Walmart. They tend to take any item back no questions asked 90% of the time where as gamestop argues, fights and bitches up a storm.

Not sure if this has been answered, but is the finish more like the DSi, or the Lite? I have a DSi, and I hate the finish because it's getting dirty really easy.

[quote name='Astinus Majere']Not sure if this has been answered, but is the finish more like the DSi, or the Lite? I have a DSi, and I hate the finish because it's getting dirty really easy.[/QUOTE]

It has a gloss finish at the top, matte finish at the bottom.

[quote name='drbutchevil']My touch screen has a thickish line down the right side of it. Anyone else have this? Think its something worth returning for?[/QUOTE]

That definitely does NOT sound normal, can you take a pic of it so I can see what you're talking about? I suggest exchanging it, I've never experienced anything like that with any ds I've owned.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I bought mine at Walmart for this very reason. I started to go to gamestop or was going to order on Amazon and then thought of Walmart. They tend to take any item back no questions asked 90% of the time where as gamestop argues, fights and bitches up a storm.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I would do the same, but I traded my DSi toward the XL (to get the $30 bonus) which is why I bought it at gamestop, otherwise I would've gone to walmart or best buy. BTW I just noticed that I have a stuck pixel on black backgrounds in my top screen, that should be much easier to explain to them than the dust.

[quote name='sunghost']That definitely does NOT sound normal, can you take a pic of it so I can see what you're talking about? I suggest exchanging it, I've never experienced anything like that with any ds I've owned.[/QUOTE]

Spoiler due to size
linew.jpg

[quote name='drbutchevil']Spoiler due to size
linew.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is the DSi XL turned on in that pic, and is the line on the screen itself, or on the screen cover? If it's on the screen cover it might come off with a microfiber cloth.. if not then yeah there's nothing you can do about it. Exchange it, that's a pretty serious defect imo.

[quote name='sunghost']Is the DSi XL turned on in that pic, and is the line on the screen itself, or on the screen cover? If it's on the screen cover it might come off with a microfiber cloth.. if not then yeah there's nothing you can do about it. Exchange it, that's a pretty serious defect imo.[/QUOTE]

No it is not on, yes, it looks to be on the screen itself.

^^^ I really hope Gamestop Bankrupts I really never seen they do anything much better than the rest of stores.

And, you almost always can sell more on your own on Craigslist/Amazon than GS!

[quote name='drbutchevil']No it is not on, yes, it looks to be on the screen itself.[/QUOTE]

That's weird.. I wonder if it's scratched, or if it the screen is warped somehow. I guess all that matters is if it's noticeable during gameplay, and how much you're bothered by it. I used to have a TV that had a line burnt into the top of the screen (possibly due to overheating), it blocked a huge chunk of the image which was completely unbearable to me, but when I gave it to my sister she didn't notice it lol.

[quote name='Nogib']Is that the Panasonic Q specific GBA Player there on the left? Damn...

Think I've got everything in that pic except for that and the Super GameBoy 2 lol.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it sure is. Paid a pretty penny for it (and the Q to go with it), but I honestly got a really good deal... well, my wife disagrees and doesn't understand why I needed a fourth Game Cube just because it's Japanese and glows blue. ;)

[quote name='sunghost']That's weird.. I wonder if it's scratched, or if it the screen is warped somehow. I guess all that matters is if it's noticeable during gameplay, and how much you're bothered by it. I used to have a TV that had a line burnt into the top of the screen (possibly due to overheating), it blocked a huge chunk of the image which was completely unbearable to me, but when I gave it to my sister she didn't notice it lol.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't look like a scratch, warp maybe, but it isn't visible while in use, and isn't visible unless under light, which is why I am wondering if I should exchange it, or if they'd even let it due to it possibly not being visible in the store heh.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Doesn't look like a scratch, warp maybe, but it isn't visible while in use, and isn't visible unless under light, which is why I am wondering if I should exchange it, or if they'd even let it due to it possibly not being visible in the store heh.[/QUOTE]

Which store did you buy it from? If you got it from target, best buy, or walmart they should let you exchange it even if they can't find anything wrong with it themselves.

[quote name='sunghost']Which store did you buy it from? If you got it from target, best buy, or walmart they should let you exchange it even if they can't find anything wrong with it themselves.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop, unfortunately.

I decided to pick up my pre-order for the bronze unit. Sold an extra 360 when Gamestop had the bonus, so I got $120 for that. Then I was able to sell my DSi for $130 on craigslist. Pretty happy all in all!

[quote name='drbutchevil']Gamestop, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Same here.. it says on the receipt that you can exchange it for the same item within 30 days, so if they give me any problems I'll just quote the receipt.

Even that might not matter. I once had to return a gift I bought someone because she had already ordered it from somewhere (DDR for Xbox). I returned it three days after buying it. They initially refused. It was in November and the clerk claimed the district manager had put a freeze on ALL returns due to christmas. I was like "it says right here on the receipt that I have 14 days". It took about 10 minutes of me standing there holding up traffic before he gave in. It was fucking ridiculous.

Ugh I kind of want a XL but I don't want to go through the trouble of applying a screen protector. That's why i never got a DSi: The Screen Protector on my Lite is on so perfectly.

Exchanged my DSi XL today and it has a piece of dust stuck on the left side of the screen this time.. but no stuck/dead pixels. It's not that noticeable so I'm undecided if I should just live with it.

[quote name='maximumzero']Ugh I kind of want a XL but I don't want to go through the trouble of applying a screen protector. That's why i never got a DSi: The Screen Protector on my Lite is on so perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Just go to Walmart and buy Vinyle. You can get a crap ton of the stuff for like $1.00 or $2.00 and have enough to make a dozen or more screen protectors. Just apply it to the DS and if you dont like it take it off and try a new one.

I don't care what anyone says, the DSi XL is a HUGE upgrade over the DS and DS Lite. The colors are more vibrant, the screens are amazing and allow the eyes to adjust better, and the size/weight ratio isn't that bad.

I got the bronze color as well and I love it. I really, really love it. It's a modern color on the DS and makes it look like any adult could own it without getting noticed in public. It looks like a PDA more than a gaming system and that's awesome.

I have played SoulSilver for an hour now and I don't see ANY pixelation or distortion at all. Actually, SoulSilver has never looked better. I can't wait to try it out on other games tomorrow.

All in all, I am very, very, very happy that I purchased the DSI XL. I've never really played my DS because I thought the screens were too small. With the larger screens and upgrades (to me anyways) like the web browser and DSi Shop, the decision was a no brainer. Great job Nintendo!

I've been playing Justice for All on my XL at home and on the i while on the go. It's great being able to halfway lay down and place the XL on the bed and still be able to read everything on scree. The XL gets a big thumbs up from me for allowing me to maximize on my laziness :cool:

[quote name='Pck21']I don't care what anyone says, the DSi XL is a HUGE upgrade over the DS and DS Lite. The colors are more vibrant, the screens are amazing and allow the eyes to adjust better, and the size/weight ratio isn't that bad.

I got the bronze color as well and I love it. I really, really love it. It's a modern color on the DS and makes it look like any adult could own it without getting noticed in public. It looks like a PDA more than a gaming system and that's awesome.

I have played SoulSilver for an hour now and I don't see ANY pixelation or distortion at all. Actually, SoulSilver has never looked better. I can't wait to try it out on other games tomorrow.

All in all, I am very, very, very happy that I purchased the DSI XL. I've never really played my DS because I thought the screens were too small. With the larger screens and upgrades (to me anyways) like the web browser and DSi Shop, the decision was a no brainer. Great job Nintendo![/QUOTE]

I can see the pixelation, but its not constant, I notice it during certain screens but not the majority of them.

Mine just arrive at work today and I got the whole department gathering around admiring it.

I got the Bronze and this thing is really cool. It looks much better than I expected. The screen is really impressive... it is big. The XL feel really good in my hands. I will have to give it some time, but it does feel that it will stay comfortable even during long period of playtime and the screen will reduce eye strain.

I have dslite and dsi and wasn't sure if I really want the XL now or wait, but I think I made the right choice. Sure, $190 is a lot, but it is only $20 more than the dsi and I can also use that for ultra mobile/"ds in the pocket" gaming. For other time when I will be carry my laptop backpack or on a business trip (and I will be on one tomorrow...), this is perfect.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Mine just arrive at work today and I got the whole department gathering around admiring it.

I got the Bronze and this thing is really cool. It looks much better than I expected. The screen is really impressive... it is big. The XL feel really good in my hands. I will have to give it some time, but it does feel that it will stay comfortable even during long period of playtime and the screen will reduce eye strain.

I have dslite and dsi and wasn't sure if I really want the XL now or wait, but I think I made the right choice. Sure, $190 is a lot, but it is only $20 more than the dsi and I can also use that for ultra mobile/"ds in the pocket" gaming. For other time when I will be carry my laptop backpack or on a business trip (and I will be on one tomorrow...), this is perfect.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. I have been playing with my XL everyday and I know I made the right decision. I think it will now become one of my morning routines: I need my phone, wallet, keys, and now my DSi XL as part of my everyday items. It really is a great little gadget for me.

I don't know about anyone else, but the bigger stylus is a HUGE plus. The little stylus is nice for traveling with, but the big one is more comfortable and gives a better gaming experience IMO.

I've also played other games and actually looked for pixelation and still couldn't find anything. I guess my eyes aren't as good but the games look a lot better on the XL than on my original launch DS. This has been one of my best purchases this year.

I traded in my black dsi for a bronze xl and dont regret it at all. The bigger screens and better battery life(an extra 1-2 hours over the dsi) are worth it. Dont regret it at all. Even though the screens are noticeably larger and an improvement, the size of the unit isnt so big as to prohibit portability. As long as your pockets are not skin tight designers it will fit fine. Go for it you will love it. I used the trade in promo at gamestop to get mine, a good deal, along with some game trades.

I just got mine today as well. I bought a DS Lite last year and ended up giving it to my kids because the screens were too small, so this is perfect for me. I just hope they get more in the way of e-books on it so I can justify the purchase to other adults :)

So I went to visit my family in Michigan today and must say im very impressed with the DSI XL after getting to compare it to my little brothers DS Lite. It had been months since I owned a DS Lite so my memory was way off on the screen size and brightness quality. After being able to compare the two side by side the Xl is def a lot bigger and a fair amount brighter/better looking.

I guess it's no big deal that there is no GBA slot on this thing since it would probably be very uncomfortable. I would assume that dpad based games are a bitch to play on this.

[quote name='Zing']I guess it's no big deal that there is no GBA slot on this thing since it would probably be very uncomfortable. I would assume that dpad based games are a bitch to play on this.[/QUOTE]
No different than ther ds. Works great actually.

I'd entirely written the XL off... until all the favorable impressions from gamers started rolling in. I already have a DSi, but I'm sitting on plenty of Gamestop store credit and could take advantage of their trade-in promo... decisions, decisions...

As someone who has done the sad progression from DS to DSLite to DSi... the XL was a worthy purchase. I'm not someone who really needs a huge amount of portability from it, so that may be a factor. As long as it fits in my briefcase, that's enough for me. The screen size increase is worth it, as well as the speakers. The weight and feel are pretty good, as well.

I wasn't amazingly sold on it even the day I opened it, but after using it for a few hours, it progressively grew on me to the point that I have basically abandoned my DSi completely. I do think the unit is a bit overpriced, but I don't regret the purchase one bit, and that's as someone who was *really* on the fence about the XL (even more so when the 3DS announcement was made).

If you're debating... honestly, just go for it. Unless the number one thing you value is portability, you can't go wrong.

The lack of GBA port really makes it a tough sell for me. I'm a guy that likes to play classics that I never played before, and I probably play GBA games on my DSi more often than DS games.

[quote name='SirMikael']The lack of GBA port really makes it a tough sell for me. I'm a guy that likes to play classics that I never played before, and I probably play GBA games on my DSi more often than DS games.[/QUOTE]

The DSi has a gba slot?

im really bad with keeping DSes. Im thinking of getting a dsi xl, but Im just worried Im gonna sell it a couple of months down the road like I did with my dsi. I have some amazon credit to use and with Picross 3D coming out, its pretty hard to resist. Im also unloading a bunch of ps3 games, so I have some money to spare

If I could transfer my dsiware over to an XL, I'd probably buy one right now. My brother just bought one and brought it over yesterday. I was impressed by it, I didn't expect the screens to look that much bigger than the DSi's.

bread's done
Back