Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

[quote name='doodofdoods']If I could transfer my dsiware over to an XL, I'd probably buy one right now. My brother just bought one and brought it over yesterday. I was impressed by it, I didn't expect the screens to look that much bigger than the DSi's.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. I have more than 10 DSiWare applications. No way I'm losing that.

Anyone have any recommendations for DSi XL "armor"-type cases? I have a silicone skin kind of case on my DS Lite and would like something either like that or one of the metal "armor" skins that fits over the DSi XL.

I traveled with my DSi XL this past week and was concerned about dropping it or getting it scratched up. I'd like to get a case for it to prevent that from happening.

Visited a GameStop yesterday that had a model unit of a DSi XL under a case, right beside a DS Lite. Both games were running the same cartridge, apparently, as it showed videos of many different games/applications: Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, FlipNote, Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Although the cartridges were running only seconds apart, you could easily see the differences between the DS Lite and DSiXL. Personally, I had thought I'd love the XL, but I found myself unimpressed. Perhaps because I already have a DSi, but I'm definitely not getting the XL. My money is set on the 3DS, a system that actually will do something different.

Should I pass on the XL until it gets cheaper or just pass it by altogether?

I have a DS Lite and I don't really like the small screen, would a DSi be a better improvement or should I spend 20 dollars more for even bigger screens?

I may just wait for the Nintendo 3DS as well though.

Droenixjpn, if you're going to get a DSi model GET THE XL! It's incredible...jaw droppingly beautiful screens :) Or wait till E3 and see how the 3DS looks, but definitely don't get a standard DSi at this point.

[quote name='shrike4242']Anyone have any recommendations for DSi XL "armor"-type cases? I have a silicone skin kind of case on my DS Lite and would like something either like that or one of the metal "armor" skins that fits over the DSi XL.

I traveled with my DSi XL this past week and was concerned about dropping it or getting it scratched up. I'd like to get a case for it to prevent that from happening.[/QUOTE]

Currently I've been putting it in the white bag it comes in but I've also been looking for an armour-type case and screen protector. eBay has some cheap ones with free shipping but I'm always wary of those.

Has anyone experienced buyer's remorse since getting the DSi XL?

I have been going back and forth in my mind about getting one since a few days before launch, and I'm still trying to talk myself through the decision.

I've had an XL since launch and I don't regret it. The screens are pretty nuts. I've said it before but it is the first handheld I've ever played that makes the PSP seem unimpressive in comparison. Switching from ~1 hour of playing the XL to playing PSP is jarring. The price is a bit extreme considering the age of the DS' base technology (same could be said for the still $170 PSP 3000) but as a definitive, final DS, I think it was worth it. That and I got in on a trade in deal with my old DS Lite so it didn't hurt too much.

3DS screen size is ???? when compared to the DSi XL?

That's what is holding me back... if the 3DS is still the same large screen then why buy now?

I don't have a DSi/DSiware acocunt so I'm not making the jump till then.

[quote name='SirMikael']Has anyone experienced buyer's remorse since getting the DSi XL?

I have been going back and forth in my mind about getting one since a few days before launch, and I'm still trying to talk myself through the decision.[/QUOTE]

I bought the XL 2 weeks ago to replace my Lite that has a broken hinge.
Last week, I tried to use my Lite since my XL was charging, and couldn't use it for more than a minute.
XL > all previous generations
The large screen makes a huge difference.
I don't regret buying it at all.
Although I paid ~$97 using Reward Certificates/Gift Cards at Best Buy.

[quote name='xycury']3DS screen size is ???? when compared to the DSi XL?

That's what is holding me back... if the 3DS is still the same large screen then why buy now?

I don't have a DSi/DSiware acocunt so I'm not making the jump till then.[/QUOTE]

Technology is always advancing and new stuff is always coming out. Info about the 3DS is very limited. Maybe it'll get terrible reviews. Maybe it won't be backwards-compatible with the DS. Maybe it'll be astronomically priced.

I wouldn't expect the 3DS to have screens as large as the XL. While I love my XL to death, it's not quite the 'portable' that Nintendo would want leading the market. As in, I put my XL in my briefcase, so it's fine, but there's no way I'd keep it in my pocket. To me, the original DSi hit the mark in terms of portability/screens, which is where I think Nintendo should be aiming.

Honestly, I'd expect it to hit somewhere between the Lite and DSi in terms of size and screens. That's really just conjecture on my part, though.

[quote name='SirMikael']Thanks for the opinions, guys.

I'm keeping my current DS either way, because I always go back and play GBA games.[/QUOTE]

It isnt a bad option.
Personally, I plan on keeping my NES GBASP and picking up a backlit GBA SP the next time I swing into a Gamestop to take care of any GBA or GB needs.

[quote name='foltzie']It isnt a bad option.
Personally, I plan on keeping my NES GBASP and picking up a backlit GBA SP the next time I swing into a Gamestop to take care of any GBA or GB needs.[/QUOTE]

There are non-back lit SPs?

:whistle2:k

[quote name='BackInBlack']There are non-back lit SPs?

:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]
Yes, they were sold to blind kids along a few baseball cards, a sack of marbles and Petey.

Just thought I'd throw my experiences into the mix.
I upgraded from my DS phat, which had a cracked hinge, to an XL last week. What a huge difference! I had been playing Infinite Space on my wife's pink DS Lite for the last couple of weeks. When Gamestop added their $25 trade-in bonus for old systems, I couldn't resist. I traded the broken phat and we kept my wife's DS Lite strictly for the GBA port. If you're coming from an original DS or a Lite, the difference in UI is almost worth it alone, IMHO. I personally toyed with getting the Bowser DSi bundle but after some research found the XL's battery life was supposed to be better than the DSi's.
No regrets here from buying the XL but again I was mainly using a phat, so the upgrade was huge for me. Plus $48 TIV (after bonus, minus refurb fee) for a broken DS is great. I wouldn't get that on CL if I had sold it for parts.

EDIT: 2 main gripes of mine that were fixed with the DSi/XL"
- You can return to the DSi Main Menu without turning the system off
- Can connect to a WPA2-enabled wi-fi network. (If only the PSP could do this...:roll:)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vader582']
EDIT: 2 main gripes of mine that were fixed with the DSi/XL"
- You can return to the DSi Main Menu without turning the system off
- Can connect to a WPA2-enabled wi-fi network. (If only the PSP could do this...:roll:)[/QUOTE]

Those were added in the original DSi, however, the WPA is only available for games that support WPA2, which for DS carts, is almost none.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Sweet 3DS at E3 this year! Can't wait until the Nintendo Conference. :D

Hopefully they keep the DSIXL size screens.[/QUOTE]

We already know that they aren't.

img1417e.jpg

img1418r.jpg

img1419v.jpg

img1420y.jpg

So I broke down and bought a DSi XL last Saturday on a complete whim...

Just looked at it thoroughly tonight...barely over a week old and there's about a dozen little hairline scratches on the bottom screen.

Ugh, I can never decide with screen protectors....either I deal with a slightly degraded screen quality with the possibility of bubbles and the pain in the ass-ness of applying it...or I live with the scratches. (I went through 2 brands of PSP screen protectors before giving up.)

I'll just have to learn to get over my OCD about screen scratches somehow. I'm stuck with 'em at this point.

I'm honestly not trying to be 'that guy', but what exactly have you been doing with it? I picked up an XL a day or two after launch, have played it (touch screen heavy games, too... Layton, Mario VS. DK, Docomodake, Zelda) nearly every day, and have nary a scratch on mine.

In fact, I've had way less of a problem with either DSi scratching than I ever had with my OG and Lite DS.

Honestly... my best advice is to just let it go. If you're already worked up about the scratches, it's not like the protector will make those ones go away. Just my take on it.

BTW, nice grab on the case... easily the best way to carry the XL, hands-down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='007']I'm honestly not trying to be 'that guy', but what exactly have you been doing with it? I picked up an XL a day or two after launch, have played it (touch screen heavy games, too... Layton, Mario VS. DK, Docomodake, Zelda) nearly every day, and have nary a scratch on mine.

In fact, I've had way less of a problem with either DSi scratching than I ever had with my OG and Lite DS.

Honestly... my best advice is to just let it go. If you're already worked up about the scratches, it's not like the protector will make those ones go away. Just my take on it.

BTW, nice grab on the case... easily the best way to carry the XL, hands-down.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, they're the kind of light scratches where you have to hold the system under a light and angle it so the light is reflecting off of the screen to really see them. When the system is actually on you don't notice 'em...well not without looking for 'em anyway. They're not major, I guess.

[quote name='Strell']I wonder if maximumzero walks around asking people if they took his stapler.[/QUOTE]

Occasionally I consider buying a red stapler for the hell of it.

Well we have around 3 or so weeks until E3. Anyone know the date for Nintendo's conference? I might need to record it, since I might be at school that day.

I just grabbed one from Amazon. I wanted bigger screens (don't care about it being DSi or not - who the hell uses the camera on it?). The 3D DS sounds like a big yawn...but if it's cool and has good games, I'll grab one and keep the XL for 'normal' DS games.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']What case is that?[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77074

Best case for DSi XL, hands down. I've seen them pretty much everywhere now (but not WalMart, weirdly).

[quote name='GizmoGC']I just grabbed one from Amazon. I wanted bigger screens (don't care about it being DSi or not - who the hell uses the camera on it?). The 3D DS sounds like a big yawn...but if it's cool and has good games, I'll grab one and keep the XL for 'normal' DS games.[/QUOTE]

This. It's why I bought one. I'll likely buy the 3DS, but the bigger screens of the XL are worth it to me on this for games I already have. Such is the benefit of too much disposable income. It's why I still have my Lite, for the GBA slot. I was on the fence with the XL, but I don't regret it all.

[quote name='foltzie']Dear Nintendo, my E3 wish is for a license transfer tool. I would buy at least one DSi XL if I could port data and games.[/QUOTE]

Second. I doubt it'll ever happen though. I have some friends that would buy a black Wii too if they'd just get this done.

[quote name='theflicker']Second. I doubt it'll ever happen though. I have some friends that would buy a black Wii too if they'd just get this done.[/QUOTE]

I cannot imagine Nintendo as a company is so dense as to continue to convince themselves that the average customer is willing to accept that software downloads are tied to hardware instead of a user. All three major competitors (Sony, MSFT, and Apple) allow it and I expect Nintendo will, eventually.

Since Nintendo can seemingly to a license transfer with both serial numbers I expect the hold up is putting together a tool that is user accessible from a Wii, DSi or the internet.

None of this is helped by the seeming fact that Nintendo randomly decided to bolt save files down to single systems.

[quote name='GizmoGC'](who the hell uses the camera on it?)[/QUOTE]

When I showed the XL to my girlfriend for the first time this weekend we had alot of fun playing with the different lenses...and Photo Dojo. Holy shit Photo Dojo is hilarious.

[quote name='foltzie']I cannot imagine Nintendo as a company is so dense as to continue to convince themselves that the average customer is willing to accept that software downloads are tied to hardware instead of a user. All three major competitors (Sony, MSFT, and Apple) allow it and I expect Nintendo will, eventually.[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting to play my VC games on my DS. Seriously, its obvious the DS can emulate NES/SNES etc, so make it happen already Nintendo! It's why I have not bought a VC game in years from them.

You cant necessarily expect that price drop in Japan to translate to a price drop in the US:
1) The US price and the Japanese price arent all that different
2) This is the first price drop the Japanese have ever had. The price has been going UP all these years with each new model.

[quote name='SirMikael']I'd like to know when the US can expect the new colors and more importantly - the price drop.[/QUOTE]
Logical answer: Never.

I can't imagine Nintendo wants the XL to turn out just like the micro did. It will sit at it's current price point until the very end of it's life and then clearance out. I wonder how long it will be until the DSi's get clearanced out across the way. I want a red one dearly.

bread's done
Back