NYC: Virgin Megastore Deathwatch

gimpeyjoe

CAGiversary!
Times Square location is departing first, then the Union Square area a few months after that.

Games at Times Square are currently 20% off (PSP and PS3 10% for some reason), books and cds are 25%. Rock Band 2 SE is going for $117 right now. I'll keep things updated as I find out their timetable.

[quote name='Rave Child']I didn't see either there, otherwise I would have picked them up for myself. You could always get them at Amazon for B2G1.[/quote]

Ah, bummer. Still want to stop in a dig through what's left. Thanks!

Wow...that place is totally picked over. The only thing I snagged yesterday was a Rock Band USB hub for $12. Couldn't even find any music I wanted.

[quote name='bmachine']Wow...that place is totally picked over. The only thing I snagged yesterday was a Rock Band USB hub for $12. Couldn't even find any music I wanted.[/quote]

Yeah, I went on Friday and on Monday and the difference was pretty huge. There really isn't much else I want left there, unless it's something that survives to like 70% off. Luckily I picked up pretty much everything I wanted, except Etrian Odyssey II. Hopefully the Union Square store will have some good things on clearance, too.

I should've went back last week. Went today and the games selection I saw from several weeks ago was reduced crap. There were dozens of CE Fallout 3 for PS3 everywhere. I saw only one copy of Fable II LE. The only other game worth mentioning is AW Days of Ruin for the DS (about 6 copies).

its closed and gone now. today was the last day. 60% off video games (mostly) in the end. tons of fallout 3 CE (PS3), Fracture (ps3) and Rockband game only

If anyone could stop by the Union Square location before 3:30 and let me know if it's started over there yet that would be awesome. I don't know if they're giving it a grace period before they start that up again.

He wasn't lying, it started up. Don't seem to have Madworld or Overkill, but they look like they still have some good games available.

I was a Manager at the Times Square location.
Anything that was in bulk left over that we did not sell...Fallout 3, Too human, Gears of War, TONS of crap DS games...etc
These were all shipped down to Union Square. As of right now they are probaly all in the back room.
All Video games that they had already are out on the floor...there is no back stock...just the stuff that did not sell at Times Square.
The same liquidation guys that did my store are dong this one...so it'll be at least 2-3 weeks before this stuff hit 40% or more off.
They usually up the percentage each Thursday...at least that's what they did with us.

BTW...keep in mind...they have not ordered any "New Releases" in over a month.
I think the last real new release they received was Halo Wars and Resident Evil 4

The games are currently at 10% off at the Union Square store so I think that any NYC CAGs should just wait a bit. Street Fighter IV and GTA:CW catch my interest, but again, the more you wait, the bigger the discounts get. Would a game like GTA:CW have more copies in the back or is it pretty much what you see is what you get?

Like I said...EVERYTHING that Union Square has is out except for what was sent down from Times Square...and I know for a fact we had no more GTA.
Just alot of fallout, fable, star wars unleashed, crap DS, Crap PS2.

Will they have the same Rock Band 2: SE deal as the times square location? I missed out on that liquidation sale.

Chinatown wars is on sale at bestbuy for $20 tomorrow supposedly so check that out instead of waiting for virgin records.

This is so depressing... So many important big name stores are going out or "got next" for the chopping block. This is one of my favorite stores... I actually BOUGHT CDs here too. *pouts* This is such a shame. I am still mourning CBGB's even, so. This will take a while to get over as well.

No deal can rope me in... Unless they start selling PS3's or something for dirt cheap. (Less than $150, that's all it's worth to me.)

[quote name='rodieremix']Any discounts in Orlando yet?[/QUOTE]

I was just in there on Friday. 10% off all games, atm.

I just want to say, there literally must have been 200 copies of too human for the 360 lol.

Seriously, there's entire bookshelves filled with it.

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']I just want to say, there literally must have been 200 copies of too human for the 360 lol.

Seriously, there's entire bookshelves filled with it.[/quote]

Wow. I'd buy it if it were $10. I missed it on the Best Buy sale. That's all I think it's worth. :)

I went yesterday I found nothing interesting but there were a lot of Guitar Hero bundles, Rock Band games and they were selling a Fallout 3 statue on the lower floor.

[quote name='Ninshadow']I went yesterday I found nothing interesting but there were a lot of Guitar Hero bundles, Rock Band games and they were selling a Fallout 3 statue on the lower floor.[/QUOTE]

The life sized one? Damn I wonder how much lol...

%20 off all games when I was there last night (Friday) - nothing that really tempted me, but they have a lot of copies of some "6-month-ago" games like Spiderman Web of Shadows, Fear 2, etc. I'll prolly go back when it hits %30 and see what's left. Its weird to compare this closeout to CC, since these are legitimate deals and don't seem to really be selling, while CC was a total scam and was a madhouse.

[quote name='Sarre']%20 off all games when I was there last night (Friday) - nothing that really tempted me, but they have a lot of copies of some "6-month-ago" games like Spiderman Web of Shadows, Fear 2, etc. I'll prolly go back when it hits %30 and see what's left. Its weird to compare this closeout to CC, since these are legitimate deals and don't seem to really be selling, while CC was a total scam and was a madhouse.[/QUOTE]

So its regular retail price - 20% right now and not CC Regular Price - 20% lol?

[quote name='nativetongue88']this makes me sad....all the music stores are closed or closing.[/QUOTE]

Don't be sad guys! This is capitalism at its finest. Things change, life changes. They could no keep up. These guys need to COMPETE. "Sad"?:cry: Seriously, its a freaking store. Its not a living, breathing person who has passed! YEESHHHH!

[quote name='TomoyoN']The life sized one? Damn I wonder how much lol...[/QUOTE]

Yeah the life size one. There was a note on the statue that said "Make an offer" I would pay $300 max.

I'm surprised the deals aren't higher if they'll be closing in less than two weeks. I guess the percentages will really start to ramp up in the last week. Hopefully there will be some good deals to be had, like at the Times Square store.

I checked out the Union Square location last Friday (I work in Union Square and finally got around to heading there). For an additional 10% markdown on everything (games, DVDs, CDs) I would buy a lot of stuff, but currently it's not really worth it compared to Amazon.

I just stopped by the store. Games are still just 20% off, but I thought it would be worth mentioning that they have Too Human, C&C Kane's Revenge and Fractured all marked at $19.99. Presumably you get 20% off of that, which isn't great (~$16), but might be worth checking out if they drop prices again over the weekend.

Games as of today, May 21st at 2:20PM are now at 30%, in m opinion still not worth it though.

There is a shitload of stock left as they were still piling the shelves with more stuff they were bringing out in boxes. When/if it hits 50%, then we're talking.

Game guides are 50%.

[quote name='SithFran']When is the last day for this again?[/QUOTE]

There's no exact date but sometime in Late May/Early June.

Based on the amount of stock they have left.. I'd have to say Early June is probably more likely.

[quote name='cmart05']There's no exact date but sometime in Late May/Early June.

Based on the amount of stock they have left.. I'd have to say Early June is probably more likely.[/QUOTE]

the guy had told me end of may, which would make sense if they have a lease on their place. but i could be wrong. i'll have to go check it out soon/this weekend.

[quote name='Arakias']the guy had told me end of may, which would make sense if they have a lease on their place. but i could be wrong. i'll have to go check it out soon/this weekend.[/QUOTE]

well then we should expect 50% very soon if not this weekend. If it's this weekend though it will blow for me as I'm only in the city for work. =/

bread's done
Back