NYC: Virgin Megastore Deathwatch

gimpeyjoe

CAGiversary!
Times Square location is departing first, then the Union Square area a few months after that.

Games at Times Square are currently 20% off (PSP and PS3 10% for some reason), books and cds are 25%. Rock Band 2 SE is going for $117 right now. I'll keep things updated as I find out their timetable.

I picked up some Rock Band wireless drums for $62, copies of Rockband 1 and 2 (which were marked down to $39.99 by hand, so they wound up being $27.99) and Fracture for about $15. They only had one more wireless drums for 360, but they had lots of them for Wii and PS3. I thought about picking up Web of Shadows, but %30 off full price would have been over $40, and I'm pretty sure I can get it for $30 on E-bay or prolly soon even in stores. Some good-ish deals to be had otherwise. And they still have LOTS of CDs and DVDs. My guess is that some games are mis-marked too, Virgin was always bad about updating. Lair was still marked at $59.99 but its gotta be lower that that in their system.

[quote name='Neoblaze181']30% off? Really? It went up? Because I think that's pretty good.[/QUOTE]

30% is still bad. Most games are overpriced despite a universal price-drop on them everywhere else biggest example is Fable II which you can find almost everywhere for $40 but at Virgin it's still $59.99 so after the 30% + tax it's still more than $40...

[quote name='Sarre']I picked up some Rock Band wireless drums for $62, copies of Rockband 1 and 2 (which were marked down to $39.99 by hand, so they wound up being $27.99) and Fracture for about $15. They only had one more wireless drums for 360, but they had lots of them for Wii and PS3. I thought about picking up Web of Shadows, but %30 off full price would have been over $40, and I'm pretty sure I can get it for $30 on E-bay or prolly soon even in stores. Some good-ish deals to be had otherwise. And they still have LOTS of CDs and DVDs. My guess is that some games are mis-marked too, Virgin was always bad about updating. Lair was still marked at $59.99 but its gotta be lower that that in their system.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they are mis-marked. Circuit City did the same thing when they went out of business. The prices are so high for a reason.

[quote name='cmart05']30% is still bad. Most games are overpriced despite a universal price-drop on them everywhere else biggest example is Fable II which you can find almost everywhere for $40 but at Virgin it's still $59.99 so after the 30% + tax it's still more than $40...

I don't think they are mis-marked. Circuit City did the same thing when they went out of business. The prices are so high for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We should all hold out until 40% or 50%. The best deals I have seen are only a savings of $5 compared to Amazon, etc. The exceptions are consoles, but hey, E3 is next week. Liquidators know exactly how to capture the majority of consumers, who swim to flashy lures.

40% CDs, DVDs, and games.

I picked up a bunch of shit. WWE Legends for like $35, Viva Pinata for $6, and F.E.A.R 2 for $35.

There's still a ton of Fable II and Gears of War 2 copies among other games.

so do you guys know if anyone bought that fallout 3 statue with the broken arm LOL I don't remember seeing it yesterday when I went.

It was downstairs yesterday at 4 p.m. next to a stack of Nightmare Before Xmas special edition DVD/busts. I wonder how much it's going for. Too bad my apt. is too small for it.

it's still at 40% at Union Square just went.

Shitty games for PSP and DS. 360 has Gears 2, Fable II, Fallout 3 CE, Halo Wars LE but that's about it.

I wonder if and/or when they will raise the % off. I noticed a 10 More Days sign that I didn't see last time I went but that could be there just to entice people to buy now...

So it’s finally at 50% today plus some games have an extra 10% off.. I picked up Too Human for $9, Halo Wars Limited Edition for $35, and HAWX for $30. It was like $81 total because of ridiculously high state tax.

I want to try to flip Halo Wars and HAWX because I have zero interest in playing either.
progress.gif

Heading into the city tonight for a show at the Bowery Ballroom...might have to pop into Virgin now that everything's at 50%.

i was in there today. everything is 50% off. games, dvds, cds, systems(saw ps2 for $75). not alot of games. well Gears 2. i didnt realize Too Human was $9. i might pick that up then. all i got was a CD. i wanted to get some dvds/blurays but even w/ the 50% it seemed like prices i could get anywhere else.

[quote name='jmillion']i was in there today. everything is 50% off. games, dvds, cds, systems(saw ps2 for $75). not alot of games. well Gears 2. i didnt realize Too Human was $9. i might pick that up then. all i got was a CD. i wanted to get some dvds/blurays but even w/ the 50% it seemed like prices i could get anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

lol

How'd Too Human ring up as $9? I checked out the place last night and just saw the 50% discount, plus an additional 10% for Too Human off the MSRP of $39.99. By my calculations, that's about $16. Not like there's any shortage of the game though, they still had shelves lined with them. I mainly checked out the 360 section, but they still had plenty of copies of Star Wars: Unleashed, End War, Hawx, Pro Soccer, a few copies of Saints Row 2 and two copies of Halo Wars Limited Edition by the register in the back (an additional 10% off). No sign of Gear of War 2 or Fable II.

[quote name='ShadowSage']How'd Too Human ring up as $9? I checked out the place last night and just saw the 50% discount, plus an additional 10% for Too Human off the MSRP of $39.99. By my calculations, that's about $16. Not like there's any shortage of the game though, they still had shelves lined with them. I mainly checked out the 360 section, but they still had plenty of copies of Star Wars: Unleashed, End War, Hawx, Pro Soccer, a few copies of Saints Row 2 and two copies of Halo Wars Limited Edition by the register in the back (an additional 10% off). No sign of Gear of War 2 or Fable II.[/QUOTE]

Shadow, Too Human is marked at $19.99 unless they marked up the prices on games which doesn't surprise me. I did notice some Too Human's marked at like $59.99 and even $39.99 but when I bought it yesterday the Promo Price was $10 plus 10% discount.

I picked up that, HAWX and Halo Wars LE. All the other games that are left are extremely overpriced and are not worth it after discount see: Saints Row 2.

and like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they bumped up the prices on the games.

[quote name='cmart05']Shadow, Too Human is marked at $19.99 unless they marked up the prices on games which doesn't surprise me. I did notice some Too Human's marked at like $59.99 and even $39.99 but when I bought it yesterday the Promo Price was $10 plus 10% discount.

I picked up that, HAWX and Halo Wars LE. All the other games that are left are extremely overpriced and are not worth it after discount see: Saints Row 2.

and like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if they bumped up the prices on the games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response - yeah, I saw Too Human marked as both $59.99 and $39.99, but it may just ring up at the register $19.99. Which makes me kinda wonder what else other games might ring up as. I'm pretty sure clearance sales work better if you don't have to guess the prices...

Aww,so there are no more copies of Fable 2 left? because that was the only game I would have bought. Should I even bother passing by?

Was there around closing time and there isn't much to come by in the "popular" games (I only pay attention to 360 Games). Tons of Pro Evo 09 ($50), Wall E ($30), and Too Human ($20)... As for the rest of the stuff there it depends what you are looking for. RACE Pro ($40) is relatively new and for $20 I think might be worth it to some. Disney Sing It! High School Musical ($30) requires a mic but is easy points for those achievement whores out there (I already have 1000 in it sadly lol) and same goes for Wall E ($30)... Theres some Rock Band 2 games out there for $60 - 50% = $30 which isn't the best price but its NEW so you can get the extra songs. Hmm what else can I remember...

Recap (All 360 and prices before discount)

BAJA 1000 - $40
BAJA Edge of Control - $40
End War - $60
FEAR 2 - $60
Golden Axe - $60
Halo Wars LE - $80 [2 Left and extra 10% off]
HAWX - $60
Madagascar 2 - $40
Monsters vs Aliens - $50
MotoGP 08 - $50
Pro Evo 09 - $50
RACE Pro - $40
Rock Band 2 - $60
Spiderman WOS - $50
Stormrise - $60
Too Human - $20 [Extra 10%]
Wall E - $30

Oh and on the way out the sign said 9 days left... So it looks like the 14/15th is the last day they will be open...

oh damn i didn't know too human was 9 dollars or i would have grabbed it, the union square store literally had two shelves of nothing but too human. i grabbed rock band 2 and it rang up as 20 bucks after promo even though it was marked 59.99

games are now 60% off nothing good left... there are like Limited Edition bundles of PC games like Conan and Alone of the Dark but I don't know if they're worth flipping... I'm stuck with Halo Wars LE which I can't sell at all. =/

[quote name='cmart05']games are now 60% off nothing good left... there are like Limited Edition bundles of PC games like Conan and Alone of the Dark but I don't know if they're worth flipping... I'm stuck with Halo Wars LE which I can't sell at all. =/[/QUOTE]

any too human left?

got 2 copies of too human for 16, one for me and one for a friend for co-op, nothing else really left. almost picked up dead head fred, but it's pretty slim pickings

hardly anything left... some decent DVDs which I picked up, a few CDs, picked up You're In The Movies for $12 (The camera retails for $39.99 alone), picked up Too Human for a friend for $6.

Picked up Too Human for $6, 1st Season of Dexter Bluray for $24, and Stranger than Fiction Bluray for something like $12. Not bad.

I really want 70% off to pick up some more.

Someone let me know when they hit 80+% on Video Games/Accessories [was 70% yesterday]. I want some CHEAP backup drum silencers ($20 MSRP) after I wear out the ones I already have...

Still 70% as of tonight - all PS3 and Wii games have been cleared out. Very few PSP games and about a shelf or two worth of DS and 360 games left. Picked up Too Human for $6 - still plenty of copies of it left, plus End War, Wall-E and that soccer game. Remaining 360 games I saw - Zoids Assault, sports games and You're in the Movies bundles behind the register in the back.

I'm hoping it's up to 80% on Friday when I get paid. Went last night and picked up a few CDs and a DVD for $30. Will probably grab a copy of FES 2009 once it hits 80%. They will never get rid of those too humans, lol.

bread's done
Back