Odin Sphere - Geeze The Animation is Amazing!

Jesus, what a love/hate relationship I have with this game. It's obviously pretty as all get out, but who the fuck makes a 2-D brawler where you're penalized for attacking too much?

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Ok, I fiannly got some time to play this and fater an hour it froze. Has anyone else has freezing problems while playing this on a PS3?[/QUOTE]

Actually, yeah (but on a PS2). It was a little over an hour in and froze after I had defeated the first boss and died at the same time. I haven't tried it since (but will probably play it again shortly).

Does anyone think the loading that the reviewers complained about is actually the delay between when you start the stage and when the enemies show up? It gets annoying sometimes. It's like they just saved some of the loading until after you could walk around on the screen with nothing to do.

[quote name='pete5883']Does anyone think the loading that the reviewers complained about is actually the delay between when you start the stage and when the enemies show up? It gets annoying sometimes. It's like they just saved some of the loading until after you could walk around on the screen with nothing to do.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's loading the enemies at that time, but nothing to do? It's the perfect opportunity to down some potions, plant seeds, find mandragoras, etc...

[quote name='fatbeer']The 5th boss is easy as well. You might fall down if you get hit by a attack.It is very easy avoid, just use invisible spell to climb to top. [/QUOTE]
Bless you, sir. This should stop me from destroying this game in a fit of rage.

[quote name='pete5883']Bless you, sir. This should stop me from destroying this game in a fit of rage.[/quote]
The only character I had trouble with on the 5th boss was Mercedies. Since she flies instead of double jumps, you just barely make it to the next level. Some times she passes through the floor and sinks down a level. It was really annoying.

Just beat it. I was using Gwendolyn, whom I haven't touched since I first used her, so I was getting beaten badly. Cracked open her book, and a couple chapters and Elixirs later, it was no problem.

Late to the show - just finished the first book...clocked in at 8 hours, level 30/28.

Wow. So...4 more books and then some? Daaaaaaaaaaamn. ;)

This game is right up my alley, and one of the very few games I've ever played that actually impresses me each time I play.

Wow, the Queen of the Underworld boss is almost unplayable. How could you guys stand this? It's been slowing down to about two frames per second, with almost a minute to load the stage...this may be my stopping point.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just went balls-out with the double-attack power spell and kicked her ass. Slowdown, be damned. :lol:

[quote name='defiance_17']Wow, the Queen of the Underworld boss is almost unplayable. How could you guys stand this? It's been slowing down to about two frames per second, with almost a minute to load the stage...this may be my stopping point.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just went balls-out with the double-attack power spell and kicked her ass. Slowdown, be damned. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's an age thing, but I didn't have a problem with it. Reminded me of my days playing NES and SNES games.

Painkillers and Napalms...Unlimited Pow if you have it.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Maybe it's an age thing, but I didn't have a problem with it. Reminded me of my days playing NES and SNES games.

Painkillers and Napalms...Unlimited Pow if you have it.[/QUOTE]
I grew up with all that shit, too; doesn't mean I like it. I simply don't have patience for it now. Thankfully, it's not that frequent in this game--there's what, one more battle with horrible slowdown? I think I can live with that.

I've never even used painkillers, and I think I used Napalm twice during that whole book. The first time I used the Overload spell was during the last battle...I have to stop making the game harder than it needs to be. :lol:

I'm really digging it, though. I'll probably fire up the next book later tonight.

[quote name='defiance_17']I grew up with all that shit, too; doesn't mean I like it. I simply don't have patience for it now. Thankfully, it's not that frequent in this game--there's what, one more battle with horrible slowdown? I think I can live with that.

I've never even used painkillers, and I think I used Napalm twice during that whole book. The first time I used the Overload spell was during the last battle...I have to stop making the game harder than it needs to be. :lol:

I'm really digging it, though. I'll probably fire up the next book later tonight.[/QUOTE]
How can you NOT use Painkillers and Napalms? ;)

The way the game is set up, I've learned, is that if you manage your inventory and use items as you get them, even if it's throwing stems or bones into Materials, you'll always have more than enough of anything you need. If you use it, there will always be more. I've never been in a situation where I thought, "Shit, I shouldn't have used that Painkiller."

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']How can you NOT use Painkillers and Napalms? ;)

The way the game is set up, I've learned, is that if you manage your inventory and use items as you get them, even if it's throwing stems or bones into Materials, you'll always have more than enough of anything you need. If you use it, there will always be more. I've never been in a situation where I thought, "Shit, I shouldn't have used that Painkiller."[/QUOTE]

I guess I just relied way too heavily on foodstuffs, rather than potions and such. Then I'd end up with nothing but a hunk of cheese and 148 HP in a 5-star stage, but I'd be too stubborn to start the level over. My girlfriend was in the other room while I was playing yesterday, and she was getting a little sick of me screaming, "Motherfucker!" and throwing things around like a basket case.
I've got a better feel for alchemy and inventory management now, so I'm hoping the rest goes a little smoother. Plus, the girlfriend won't be around for another week or so, so I can really let the temper show.

[quote name='defiance_17']I guess I just relied way too heavily on foodstuffs, rather than potions and such. Then I'd end up with nothing but a hunk of cheese and 148 HP in a 5-star stage, but I'd be too stubborn to start the level over. My girlfriend was in the other room while I was playing yesterday, and she was getting a little sick of me screaming, "Motherfucker!" and throwing things around like a basket case.
I've got a better feel for alchemy and inventory management now, so I'm hoping the rest goes a little smoother. Plus, the girlfriend won't be around for another week or so, so I can really let the temper show.[/QUOTE]
At one point, and I don't think it's too late in the first book, you learn Healing Tonic. You get 200HP per swig, 3 swigs per bottle. No EXP though. I usually use my Tonics for healing, and Foodstuffs for leveling.

When I started the 2nd book, it almost felt too easy once I had a feel for the alchemy and inventory.

Wait until you learn Unlimited POW...you'll be addicted to the alchemy. Boss stage? Pfft. Painkiller, Unlimited POW, Napalm...if severely hurt, Healing Tonic. Rinse, repeat.

Good fun, good fun.

Just finished book two. I figured since I had a head start and knew a lot of alchemy recipes and had a handle on the gameplay, that I would finish the second book a lot quicker. I ended up with a final time only three minutes shorter than when I finished book one and only slightly higher levels (32P/31HP). Heh.

[quote name='willardhaven']Well to be fair, the animation is choppy, despite the difficulty of the technique.

However this is the exact style of game I've been wanting to see... 2d action on PS2.[/quote]

:drool: :drool: :drool: That is not completely true. The animation is quite smooth to me. Unless there's lots of icons or images on the screen.:drool: :drool: :drool:

[quote name='adamones']Man I can't believe there's not a thread for this game. I just picked it up, it's amazing. Is anyone else playing?

Yes it is an amazing game and unique seeing only Atlus and NIS seem to thing 2D games are a thing of the past and no one likes them anymore.

To me I prefer well done sprite animated graphics over 3D any day.....

I played it like drugs when it first came out and got almost done with the first characters story but have not went back yet.. lol to much backlog..

There was a huge thread but I guess it dropped off the first page. The game is awesome, and the graphics are gorgeous. If you like 2D, you will have an orgasm with this game.

I still need to pickup Grim Grimoire, I heard it has a simlar graphic style.

[quote name='Puffa469']There was a huge thread but I guess it dropped off the first page. The game is awesome, and the graphics are gorgeous. If you like 2D, you will have an orgasm with this game.

I still need to pickup Grim Grimoire, I heard it has a simlar graphic style.[/quote]

Yeah it has a similar style simply because Vanillaware also made this title the only thing is that it is a 2D side scroll RTS game like Command and Conquer...

Man besides the few recent RPG games and the upcomming ones im going to suffer wallet wise....

[quote name='Ecofreak']Great game - just beware of the S.l.ow. d.o.w.n. Some individuals don't mind, but for others it's a game breaker.[/quote]

All they need to do is call the 'slowdown', 'bulletime' and its no longer a glitch, its a feature!

I just recently picked it up as well. i played about an hour or so in. I liked it and was gorgeous but odd a the same time. After playing it im actually suprised it got the ratings it did, usually these kind of rpgs' dont fare well to reviewers. its to bad my rpg backlog like like 55+ games.

[quote name='Masterkyo']I really likes this game. I hope Atlus Bring Princess Crown to US :)[/quote] I read somewhere that the source code for Princess Crown was lost, making translation very hard. But there is a full translation online (And Princess Crown is avalible on the PSP, which is region-free.).

[quote name='Ecofreak']Great game - just beware of the S.l.ow. d.o.w.n. Some individuals don't mind, but for others it's a game breaker.[/QUOTE]

I'm on chapter 6 and I've only had one or two spots where it slowed down for literally one or two seconds (after doing that swooping attack on a crowd on enemies.)

i'm still waiting to see the bad slowdown others talk about...

[quote name='Apossum']I'm on chapter 6 and I've only had one or two spots where it slowed down for literally one or two seconds (after doing that swooping attack on a crowd on enemies.)

i'm still waiting to see the bad slowdown others talk about...[/quote]

Err, I guess you mean you've still only used Gwendolyn? Yea, just wait until you fight
Odette, Queen of the Underworld at the end up the final chapter for Gwen (well, you fight her with the other characters as well)
...that's the fight everyone complains about. And really, other than that one particular boss bout, none of the slowdown is really a bother.

Honestly though, I just beat the game with all five characters and did the Armageddon final book...and my biggest complaint with the game is the combat. And not just the fact that Gwendolyn and Velvet are absolute shit either (Oswald & Mercedes FTW). I hate how once you start a combo there is no way to break it - I guess 3D games like GoW and Ninja Gaiden kinda always made me feel like I was in more control. I also dislike certain boss fights that are just overly lame and overly cheap. I mean...some bosses can poison, flame, freeze, dizzy, and frog you all in one battle - honestly, tell me how I was supposed to prep for that? Wait until the final fight with Leventhan (not the laughably easy baby form, mind you) at the end of the Armageddon book...if that lightning crap doesn't piss you off to high hell, then you're a much better man that I.

I'm currently playing this (got it at launch, but then I also got Disgaea 2 and that took most of my time) and I'm on Mercede's part. The animation is great and I love the fact that they included the original Japanese soundtrack. What I don't like is that it's rather repetitive, loading is a biatch (especially going to the cafe/restaurant). It's also freaking tough as nails. The slowdown when you fight Odette is obnoxious as well but the rest of it shines.

[quote name='defiance_17']I grew up with all that shit, too; doesn't mean I like it. I simply don't have patience for it now. [/quote]Exactly. Even when we weren't spoiled by todays processors, it would always be irksome to be in the midst of a battle and the game not being able to keep up. (odd sentence...)

[quote name='Strell']There be one here, sir. Right off the port bow! Arrr![/quote]He's so hawt when he talks like that. *pushes Strell over port bow for absolutely no reason*

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']:drool: :drool: :drool: That is not completely true. The animation is quite smooth to me. Unless there's lots of icons or images on the screen.:drool: :drool: :drool:[/quote]In which case, the animation isn't smooth. :roll:

[quote name='Puffa469']All they need to do is call the 'slowdown', 'bulletime' and its no longer a glitch, its a feature![/quote]Don't get smart, Puffa.
tongue.gif

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I just got this game from Gamefly and it's pretty fun.

Obviously the animations have been talked about enough, but it's a fairly challenging game. I had to bump down the difficulty to easy and I'm still getting my balls rocked. Seems like it could get old in terms of repitition after a while of doing the same thing over and over again, but we'll see.

I've been playing this game off and on since it came out, and I just picked it up again and was doing great until I got to the Chapter 6 boss for Oswald.
The Wizard in Titania with the 2 big ghosts.
Does anyone have any tips? I've tried:
Not moving, attacking the big things first, attacking the
wizard
first, and I have 4 napalms. No matter what I do, I keep dying.:bomb:

it's been a while since i played this game but for the wizard i think if you can hit back the swords at him it stuns him and you can beat up on him for a bit, otherwise you hit him then he dissapears. i would recommend taking out the death gods first then focusing on him. you may just need to grind for a bit and get some food at the cafe/restaurant to beef up your hp if that seems to be an issue.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I've been playing this game off and on since it came out, and I just picked it up again and was doing great until I got to the Chapter 6 boss for Oswald.
The Wizard in Titania with the 2 big ghosts.
Does anyone have any tips? I've tried:
Not moving, attacking the big things first, attacking the
wizard
first, and I have 4 napalms. No matter what I do, I keep dying.:bomb:[/QUOTE]

For that guy, take out the ghosts first. They shouldn't be too tough. Concentrate on one at a time.

For the wizard guy, you should be able to easily stop anything he throws at you (you can hit the swords/fireballs with any attacks)- just make sure to get out of the way if he tries to poison or turn you into a frog (if you see a green cloud near your feet, RUN).

To do any damage to the wizard, you have to hit the swords back at him. The easiest way to do it is stay close enough to him so that he appears in the screen. When he does any attack other than the swords, get away and wait until you're in the clear and go back near him again. As soon as you see four spinning swords in from of him, hit the swords with a regular attack and hope one of them hits him. This'll stun him and that's when you hit him with everything you got.

This works the same with any of his sword attacks but it's easier to hit him with a sword when they're in front of him.

This is how you beat pretty much any of the wizard bosses.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I've been playing this game off and on since it came out, and I just picked it up again and was doing great until I got to the Chapter 6 boss for Oswald.[/QUOTE]

If you're having trouble here, you're going to be tearing your hair out when
you have to fight Beldor and Belial at the same time. With Velvet, no less.

The mentioned strategy is the way to go, but if you have any Unlimited Powers you should be able to pop off Oswald's demon morph and make relative mincemeat out of the Revenants even more quickly than you would otherwise. If all else fails you can always go farm up more items.

bread's done
Back