Of Tea Party folks and Racial Slurs...

I'll take that as a "no".

So, is there anything wrong with calling someone who thinks they're better than everyone else "uppity"? Does this become a no-no if the individual is black?

[quote name='UncleBob']I'll take that as a "no".[/QUOTE]

Well, you should take that as a no. Otherwise you'd break your streak of being perpetually incorrect.

Stop searching for analogues. Eyes on the prize. Focus on the task at hand. Finish stocking the Dr Thunder before moving onto Mountain Lightning. One thing at a fucking time.

You're the one who brought the "gay" into this thread. If you don't want me to make an analogy to it, then you shouldn't either.

If calling someone who is homosexual "gay" is bad, then someone needs to get on the horn to GLADD and let them know.

And if someone is offended because they're called "uppity", maybe they should just try being less uppity. Regardless of what their skin color is.

That was in relation to JJ's point on etymology. You're no longer talking with reference to that tangent.

So, seriously, shut the fuck up. You have no idea how to discuss issues.

[quote name='mykevermin']So, seriously, shut the fuck up. You have no idea how to discuss issues.[/QUOTE]

I should take the Myke approach to discussing issues.

Shut the **** up, everyone.

I kinda wish Sasha Baron Cohen hadn't done a Borat movie yet. Just think of the roving goldmines he could have tapped in today's modern world.

Seinfeld_s7e19.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin'] It's okay, though, because pimps aren't stereotypically black in my mind. So it's not racist for anyone.[/QUOTE]

This is old news, remember O'Keefe dressing up as a 'pimp'? He got that idea from blaxploitation films and shit. It's like Mitt Romney trying to relate to black people via 'Who let the dogs out hoo hoo hoo'

[quote name='IRHari']This is old news, remember O'Keefe dressing up as a 'pimp'? He got that idea from blaxploitation films and shit. It's like Mitt Romney trying to relate to black people via 'Who let the dogs out hoo hoo hoo'[/QUOTE]

I was being sarcastic, taking the piss of those who think because *they* don't seem to think of a term as racist at all or by denying its racist origin, that it could be racist.

Also, I see via my link to the paladino post/emails that they're one way to shut bob the fuck up: stay on topic. how could I not have discovered that sooner?

[quote name='mykevermin']I was being sarcastic, taking the piss of those who think because *they* don't seem to think of a term as racist at all or by denying its racist origin, that it could be racist.[/QUOTE]

Again, I refer you to my earlier post where uppity is traced back over a hundred years before any kind of racial context. The word has a racial history, but does not have a racial origin.

And post all of the examples of racism you want - I notice you never once touched the initial topic of democrats calling republicans things like 'oreo', 'traitor', and 'Uncle Tom'.

[quote name='mykevermin']where's your proof of the above?[/QUOTE]

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2...itors-and-uncle-toms-by-progressive-liberals/

I guess this confirms it. Anyone who disagrees with the tea party movement is racist!

Johnson and other black conservatives say they were drawn to the tea party movement because of what they consider its commonsense fiscal values of controlled spending, less taxes and smaller government. The fact that they’re black — or that most tea partyers are white — should have nothing to do with it, they say.

This guy says it exactly right.

[quote name='IRHari']http://wnymedia.net/paladino/
[/QUOTE]

Sorry. Anyone can make fake e-mail pics. And there's no video of him actually being the one sending the e-mails. For all we know, an aid was using his account or his account was hacked by some teenager who later went on to use the Walmart intercom.

(Note, I don't really believe any of that...)

[quote name='UncleBob']Sorry. Anyone can make fake e-mail pics. And there's no video of him actually being the one sending the e-mails. For all we know, an aid was using his account or his account was hacked by some teenager who later went on to use the Walmart intercom.

(Note, I don't really believe any of that...)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, because I remember you gave ACORN the benefit of the doubt, right?

Oddly enough, I think it's very, very likely this guy forwarded these e-mails. Just like it's very likely that Republican and Tea Party members of color have been called "oreos" and such.

Oh, goody, the "postphotographic era" rationalization.

Plausible deniability is only defeated by your personal first-hand account of him sending the emails.

Got it.

Everybody else: do you now understand why I told him to shut the fuck up?

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, goody, the "postphotographic era" rationalization.

Plausible deniability is only defeated by your personal first-hand account of him sending the emails.

Got it.

Everybody else: do you now understand why I told him to shut the fuck up?[/QUOTE]

I'll say no so others don't have to feel dumb.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, goody, the "postphotographic era" rationalization.

Got it.

Everybody else: do you now understand why I told him to shut the fuck up?[/QUOTE]

Myke, you are one of a kind. And for that, I'm thankful.

You got proof and you don't acknowledge it.

Make our lives easier. Tell us what criteria you believe, other than incidents that conform to your ideology.

Sorry for the late addition but uppity was a word that whites used for blacks that tried too hard to come up in society. For example,

Rufus (black man) bought a piece of land and is planning on farming it.

Matthew (white man) is gossipping about Rufus at the local saloon and comments that he can't stand all the uppity Negroes that are coming around buying land these days.

The Jeffersons made fun of it with their theme song. "We're moving on up. To the east side. Finally got our piece of the pie."

Blacks are guilty of using it also. House slaves were uppity. The guy that works for the white guy? Uppity.

Those people who call others uppity would generally be called haters these days.

[quote name='mykevermin']You got proof and you don't acknowledge it.[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn't?

[quote name='UncleBob']Sorry. Anyone can make fake e-mail pics. And there's no video of him actually being the one sending the e-mails. For all we know, an aid was using his account or his account was hacked by some teenager who later went on to use the Walmart intercom.

(Note, I don't really believe any of that...)[/QUOTE]

I made a whole post about it and everything.

So, what criteria do you need to prove that any liberal leaning person has made a racial slur toward a Republican/Tea Party member?

[quote name='depascal22']Sorry for the late addition but uppity was a word that whites used for blacks that tried too hard to come up in society. For example,[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt any of that - but I just don't see how that makes it "racial" - since the word has a historical context of being used for *anyone* who acted beyond their perceived class.

Again, just because some slave owners likely said "Skinny naggers" a lot, it doesn't make "skinny" a racial slur...

[quote name='depascal22']It wasn't used for anyone. It was just used by anyone to describe upwardly mobile negroes.[/QUOTE]

So, for the hundred + years that it was recorded to be used before there was recorded use of the word as a racial slur, it was being used as a racial slur? How, exactly, does that work?

I don't see where you're getting that it was used for a hundred years before it was recorded as a racial slur.

Blacks could be upwardly mobile on the plantation also. Everything was about getting that house job. House slaves were called uppity by blacks and whites because house slaves "acted" white.

[quote name='depascal22']I don't see where you're getting that it was used for a hundred years before it was recorded as a racial slur.[/QUOTE]

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Uppity

uppity
1880, from up + -ity; originally used by blacks of other blacks felt to be too self-assertive (first recorded use is in "Uncle Remus"). The parallel British variant uppish (1678) originally meant "lavish;" the sense of "conceited, arrogant" being first recorded 1734.

So a common English word was never used by anyone in America until 1875? Do you really think that's possible? You don't think anyone used it to describe a slave even once?

[quote name='depascal22']So a common English word was never used by anyone in America until 1875? Do you really think that's possible? You don't think anyone used it to describe a slave even once?[/QUOTE]

I'll say yes.

Also, I won't accept any proof otherwise.

There, I've the thread something like 20 posts.

Any word has to be considered within its context. If I say to a group of kids, "you are an uppity bunch" do you honestly think I was thinking to myself "they sure are just like black house slaves"? Probably not, I probably consider them lively. You cannot take any word out of the context of a quote, and dig up some history in which it was used as a negative, it is misleading and dishonest, which is why liberals use it so much. What is more damaging to an opponent? debating the issue? or planting the seeds of racism in your opponents constituents?

LOL

I don't know, I believe that when any group in america makes asses of themselves they hurt their cause. This is why I don't understand the hysteria over the tea party. Let them hang themselves.

[quote name='Knoell']Not sure what you mean by that....[/QUOTE]

At some point in time, the government will say, "fuck it. We own you."

Deploying troops stateside is unnecessary and illegal. Of course, nothing will happen as long as the "elections" go smoothly.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']At some point in time, the government will say, "fuck it. We own you."

Deploying troops stateside is unnecessary and illegal. Of course, nothing will happen as long as the "elections" go smoothly.[/QUOTE]

translation: As long as it looks like the dems will maintain the majority.

bread's done
Back