OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

For the CIF technique, what's more effective:

a) One or few large bill ($10, $20)

b) Lots of small bills ($1s, $5s)

Like say for a lot you want to haggle them down to $20, should you hold out a $20 bill or 4 $5 bills?

Another rained out weekend for us. We didn't even prepare a list of sales with directions, because they were predicting heavy T-Storms all weekend. It's not raining right now, but the ground is wet.

We'll try to drive around a bit, but we're not expecting much.

Good luck to all you fair weather CAGs.

EDIT: Back already. 2 sales. Nothing but rain.

The Rich Area Suck

but around my hood i found

Today
I got
1 johnny cash record
1 old yatzee game circa 1978
1 scarabble circa 1953

Now on to the games

Lethal Enforcer with box gun game no Book
Roadrash Box and book
starflight Complete
Sonic spinball Complete
Batletech complete
Revltion x with aerosmith Complete
Rock and roll racing box and book
mortal kobat 2 box and book
mortal kobat guide
Crue ball cart only
Negil Racing box and game

all for $4

Garage sale finds today

Lady Sia (GBA, cart only) - $3.00
Perfect Dark (cart only) N64 - 25 cents
Lego Star Wars PS2 Non-GH (complete) - $4.00
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PSX, complete) - $1.00
Gauntlet Legends (PSX, complete) - $1.50

GC
Mario Kart DD w/bonus disc
Mario Party 4
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Resident Evil
All complete except RE which is missing the manual - $15 for the set of 4 games, so $3.75 each.

Tenchu Wrath of Heaven PS2 w/ Brady guide (complete)
Army Men: Air Attack (disc+manual)
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen Collector's Edition (complete)
Driver 2 (complete)
Star Trek: The Klingon Way (book)
Star Trek: The Klingon Dictionary (book)
Serial Killers: The Insatiable Passion (book)
$5.00 for everything above from one sale.

A bunch of complete music cds (Limp Bizkit, 3 Doors Down, Goo Goo Dolls, The Who, etc.) - 1.00 each

All in all, not a bad day. Everything was fairly close to home, so we probably used less than $10 in gas this week.

Oh, I also saw some crazy prices. Some lady had an Xbox package that said $300 firm. It was the system, a couple games, and the hookups. This lady was smoking crack. She also had an Atari 2600 in the box for $35.00...also pretty crazy. I'm not sure where people come up with some of these prices.

I passed on a Dreamcast and 2 controllers for $5 (probably could have gotten it for $2-3). It didn't have hookups or games...plus I already own 2.

My wife got her deals as well. Lame decorations for the house and various girl crap I don't remember. One thing of note is a Sunbeam bread maker, new-in-the-box for $1.00. It was towards the end of the garage sale day (around 1 pm) and the guy said we could have anything at his sale for $1. He said they got it as a wedding gift and never opened it. I looked it up online and the model retails for around $50. He actually had a few video games as well, but they were sports/racing titles so I passed even at $1.

[quote name='smaaug']Didn't find jack on Saturday, only saw a couple of extremely scratched PS1 games that definitely would not work. Gave up at 1230 and stopped for lunch and then at 140 I passed one of the rare yard sales that last late and found the following...

Sega CD Complete in BOX 25$
Sega 32X and Base System (Street of Rage 2 edition) complete in box 10$
Sega CD Lethal Enforcers I w/gun complete in Box 2$
Sega CD Lethal Enforcers II Complete 2$
Sega CD Ground Zero Texas missing Disc 1 1$
Final Fight CD Complete 2$
Box of Random Stuff 5$ included
1 NES Controller
4 6-button Genesis Controller
1 Genesis with all hookups
1 SNES with all Hookups
TMNT Hyperstone Heist Genesis Cart Only
Power Rangers Genesis Cart Only
Some extra Genesis and NES Cables

TOTAL 47$

Not bad for that late in the day.[/quote]

Did you talk them down at all? That late in the day I would have offered at least half of what everything was marked. Maybe $25 for the lot instead of $47. Probably would have started with $20 and maybe went to $25.

So today was my first time really going out Garage/Yard salein' as a CAG. Sure, I 'd gone before with my parents or with friends, but never with any real purpose or agenda.

There was a big neighborhood garage sale a few blocks away from where I lived. After about 2 hours I had pretty much hit every sale (maybe about 20 or 30) without any luck. Saw a beat up copy of Cloan Wars/Tetris Worlds for Xbox for $15, two used GBA systems (the first model) for $35 each... some people think there stuff is made of gold, I guess.

I heard of another neighborhood garage sale not to far from where I live, so I decided to check that one out as well. The first hour wasn't very eventful. Some kids selling 64 games for $7 a pop (I find you can't haggel with kids like you can adults). Only thing I managed to pick up was an origianal copy of Return of the Jedi (VHS, 1983) for $.50.

Then I ran across another sale as I was walking to my car. I was just gonna walk past it, because all I could see was furniture and junk, but then the word "Atari" caught my eye from one of the signs. I managed to pick up:

Atari 2600 system w/ hookups and 2 joysticks
Air Sea Battle
Cosmic Ark
Zaxxon
Space Shuttle
Barnstorming
Grand Prix
Air Raiders
International Soccer
Tron: Deadly Discs
Up 'n Down
Defender
Space Ivaders
Pac-Man
Sky Diver
Strawberry Shortcake: Musical Match-ups
Combat
Donkey Kong
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Was asking $5 for all, ended up paying $3.

She said the system works, haven't tested it out yet. Looks pretty dusty, but the price was right, and im sure it'll clean up nice. Looks like its in pretty good conditon otherwise.

I also got a cup of lemonade. Tried to CIF for a nickel, but she refused to go lower than a dime. Cleaver girl.

All in all, was pretty happy with my first CAG garage sale outing. I'll have to do this some more, heh.

i had luck today makes up fr last weekend
snes 5 complete
snes 5 complete
n64 5 complete

some random games not bad day
trading in all the systyems for 65 at ryno games

I hit the thrifts today.

Found a Atari 5200 in box (No Joysticks or game though) for $30. Tried to bragian them down to $10 but they wouldnt take anything less. Considering the box is HUGE (Its like 4 360 boxes big).

Also saw they put The OC Season 2 on DVD out on the floor. Of course the discs were already stolen. It amazes me how GoodWill will lock up pure crap (PC games that sell for $2.99) but will put a DVD boxset out on the floor.

Picked up:

Silent Hill 3, disc only, slight scratches

Paid: $5

Stickered-To-Hell Non-GH, Pretty Scratched Up God of War

Paid: $5

4 Disney Knowledge Year Books

Paid: $1

The Dwindling Party by Edward, Gorey (Goes for a fair amount on eBay)

Paid: $1

Three HUGE bags of foam peanuts

Paid: $0.50

Also picked up a few other books, about 14 romance paperbacks, $1.00 for all (That comes to like seven cents a book, I couldn't resist!) and an OK condition no DJ HB copy of The Grapes of Wrath, 1940 (11th printing, I believe?) edition for $1.

All in all, not a bad haul.

[quote name='AndrewgeddoN']
I also got a cup of lemonade. Tried to CIF for a nickel, but she refused to go lower than a dime. Cleaver girl.[/quote]

Is it me, or is trying to give a little girl half of her 10c asking price AT HER LEMONADE STAND beyond the "haggling" line and into "Ebineezer Scrooge" territory?

i didnt find any games related stuff but i did get some cool action figures

dont know if it is a good deal or not

sealed voltron action figure $10

66f69171.jpg

Tamiya Japanese Battleship Yamato Huge Model Kit unopened

6f96c644.jpg

i got this one also but i dont know the name of this action figure, does anyone else know?
IM000227.jpg

got the whole thing for ten dollars because my dad had just bought stuff and he got the battleship for free

Is this a good deal? & does anyone know how much they are worth?

[quote name='Monga']Is it me, or is trying to give a little girl half of her 10c asking price AT HER LEMONADE STAND beyond the "haggling" line and into "Ebineezer Scrooge" territory?[/QUOTE]

My sarcasm detector went off when reading that post. At least I hope it did.

Just so we're clear: I did not actually try and haggle a little girl with a lemonade stand out of $.05. I paid the full dime, no ifs, ands, or buts.

...although, she DID advertise it as "Ice Cold." I would have called it "chilled" at best.;)

[quote name='AndrewgeddoN']Just so we're clear: I did not actually try and haggle a little girl with a lemonade stand out of $.05. I paid the full dime, no ifs, ands, or buts.

...although, she DID advertise it as "Ice Cold." I would have called it "chilled" at best.;)[/quote]

Haha, I didn't realize you were kidding. Sorry.

However, you also did not mention the flagrant false advertising. I would have sued.

[quote name='gizmogc']I hit the thrifts today.

Found a Atari 5200 in box (No Joysticks or game though) for $30. Tried to bragian them down to $10 but they wouldnt take anything less. Considering the box is HUGE (Its like 4 360 boxes big).

Also saw they put The OC Season 2 on DVD out on the floor. Of course the discs were already stolen. It amazes me how GoodWill will lock up pure crap (PC games that sell for $2.99) but will put a DVD boxset out on the floor.[/quote]

Maybe the box was out on the floor and the discs were in the case or somewhere else?

I found a Final Fantasy VII (complete, non-Greatest Hits) at a thrift store for $2.00. They put games in with their CD's, so you have to really look for them. I also found a sealed Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six there for $2.00 also, once.

Along with FF7, I also got The Simpsons Sing the Blues (CD) in pretty nice shape.

[quote name='gizmogc']Also saw they put The OC Season 2 on DVD out on the floor. Of course the discs were already stolen. It amazes me how GoodWill will lock up pure crap (PC games that sell for $2.99) but will put a DVD boxset out on the floor.[/quote]Are you sure they didn't put the discs at the register? I just noticed yesterday that my Goodwill puts out cases but keeps all the discs behind the counter.

At Goodwill

Zero Tolerance Gen (i belive this is the first console FPS)

and for the Atari Epyx winter games

all for $2

[quote name='boyboy1080']do you know how much it would be worth? tried looking on ebay but couldnt find that action figure[/quote]
No clue. I couldn't find much on the show itself, let alone merchandise. I think it only aired in Japan back in the late 80's. Still a neat find though!

I went to Goodwill yesterday and there was only a Dreamcast with two controllers and no hookups for $40 and Virtua Tennis. There was no way I was going to buy a DC for that much.

[quote name='RedComet']I went to Goodwill yesterday and there was only a Dreamcast with two controllers and no hookups for $40 and Virtua Tennis. There was no way I was going to buy a DC for that much.[/quote]

some time good will pisses me of they wanted for an n64 with now power brick
and an snes 1 with no av cables for $15 and $20 respectivly

when i told the lady the price was horrible she began to yell hassel hassel security hassel

I just walk out in amazment

Stopped in a Goodwill last Friday. Was thrilled to find that they sell all of their NES games for $14 each. That MLBPA Baseball was awfully tempting.

This was directly after I had gotten a bunch of games from the Circuit City $8.96 sale so it made it all the more ridiculous when I knew that I had a big bag of games in my car that equated to the price of about 5 NES sports games.

2 sales for an entire weekend. Ugh, I feel so unsatisfied. It's been a rainy Spring/early Summer.

[quote name='megaseadramon']Yeah, most of us know about it , and many other people know about and thats why it sucks because all of the good stuff goes for ebay prices.[/quote]
This has been my experience as well.

[quote name='shipwreck']This was directly after I had gotten a bunch of games from the Circuit City $8.96 sale so it made it all the more ridiculous when I knew that I had a big bag of games in my car that equated to the price of about 5 NES sports games.[/quote]
:lol: I do that kind of comparing all the time.

Pawn shop finds:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance $8.99
Mega Man Legends 2 (disc only) $0.99

These are from the same pawn shop that I got 2 copies of Zelda Collector's Edition for $4.99 ea a few weeks ago... I think I have a new favorite store.

My latest and greatest:

The left one was the one I snagged from a garage sale a few weeks ago...the right one was today...much

I made a post on the craigslist saying i want your unwanted games

so far ive gottin 3 replies

one reply was for an snes and a gen with games in mint condtion and told him $20 he called me crazy

then i got a reply from MOHAMAD ISLAM and he want to sell me a gen no wires a saturn no wires 50 gen games 5 psx 6 xbox and 3 gba games for $100

now the newest that i got was from a guy saying he has a complete mint atari 2600 and 18 games

i just sent him a reply saying send me pics

we will see how it goes

[quote name='evilmax17']Here comes the humor. I predict a $50 asking price.[/quote]

he hasent givin me a price yet

i thinking about replying and saying how bout 10

[quote name='PINKO']he hasent givin me a price yet

i thinking about replying and saying how bout 10[/quote]

He'll refuse it, "But I can get $70 on Ebay!"

My friends and I are all leaving for camp Monday, so we plan on spending Sunday going to yardsales. Can someone give some tips for locating them, and some general tips for a newbie?

Alot of yard sales are on Friday/Saturday. Most collectors are there first thing saturday morning so you can kiss the good stuff good bye. I would bring $20-40 in small bills. Also bring a few bucks of change for the really cheap stuff.

Got back from a Garage Sale and got the following for $1 each

Courier Crisis

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes

Fighting Force

Contra: Legacy Of War

Cubix: Racin Robot's

WWF War Zone

Dead of Alive

Street Fighter Collection

The best part is all these came's are in their original cases and instuction's included

Got a nice PC game score from Craigslist.

Listing was for Full SPectrum Warrior for $5 and some other games for $1 each.

After I contacted him he offered $10 for all of them and I said yes, he did not give me a full list but mentioned Call of Duty 2 and I figured that alone made it a nice deal.

In the end I gave gim $15 becuase of the sheer amount of games I got.

Mainly wargames and half of them are junk but there are some really nice games.

Rise of Nations (For sale/trade)
Rise of Nations : Thrones and Patriots
Command and Conquer Generals : Zero Hour (For sale/trade)
ChessMaster 9000
Call of Duty 2
Gangland
Rome : Total War
Swat 4
Full Spectrum Warrior : Ten Hammers
SimCity 4
Blitzkrieg : Burning Horizon
Act of War : Direct Action
Napoleanic Wars : Cossacks 2
Heritage of Kings : The Settlers
Delta Force Black Hawk Down
Delta Force Black Hawk Down : Team Sabre
History Channel Civil War The Game
History Channel The Alamo Fight for Independace
Korea Forgotten Conflict
Earth 2150
Marine Sharpshooter Jungle Warfare 2
Riot Police
Caterpillar Contruction Tycoon
No Surrender : Battle of the Bugle
Joint Operations : Typhoon Rising
World War 2 Sniper : Call to Victory
Elite Warriors : Veitnam

[quote name='camelking6969']i found about `15 sms complete games at goodwill here, i passed at 10 a pop, can you offer them less for all of them[/QUOTE]

The last time I tried to haggle at Goodwill they were ready to kick me out. Fun times, heh.

bread's done
Back