Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RedvsBlue']They did, unfortunately they were mostly cuts because they were $14 million over the cap. Marion Barber and Roy Williams being perhaps the most surprising cuts but they also cut Leonard Davis, Marc Colombo, and Kris Brown.[/QUOTE]

Cutting Barber isn't exactly shocking. Everyone had to see it coming. Unfortunately, he's been becoming less and less productive as time goes by. He is a hard runner, and it seems like it took a toll on him.

looks like frank gore is going to report after all. thats good. the bad news is we still have alex smith as a QB and have no secondary. but hey, in the NFC west, we still have a chance.

Holy shit no Randy Moss huh? He has had a HOF career so he has nothing left to prove other than getting a ring. After a NFL player reaches 10 high quality years I have nothing but support if they want to hang them up.

wow, im shocked that moss is going to retire. i have to think he wanted to play with a contender but only got offers from non-competing teams. 34 for a receiver is not that old, he could play for another 3 years or so if he wanted.

I wonder if part of it had to do with him wanting to save the embarassment of not getting signed or only getting offers from bottom tier teams.

Maybe TO will retire too and they can have a reality show together.

If Moss hadn't started bitching about a new contract with New England last year he'd still be in top form I think. He had a good thing and messed it up, again.

As for the 49ers, players really can't hold out anymore other than miss a day or two to make it known they are unhappy, the fines are now $30,000 per day and there is a date you don't get a year of service, so you basically are going to make your contract situation worse if you do that.

I think the 49ers are going to feel out their roster this year and evaluate, even if it means going 2-14 and getting Luck (which they would love anyway). The only guys I really want them to sign are Olin Kreutz, and Malcolm Floyd, and whatever CB they can, the secondary is pathetic. right now their worst positions are the most important. Center, QB, CB... that's going to result in lots of lopsided affairs.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']looks like frank gore is going to report after all. thats good. the bad news is we still have alex smith as a QB and have no secondary. but hey, in the NFC west, we still have a chance.[/QUOTE]I think it goes:
AZ
Rams
Seahawks
Niners.

Arizona got the QB it needed. Rams are young but better than SEA and SF. Seattle got enough free agents to have a 6ish win season. And the Niners restart another 5 year plan, building the team through the draft and better coaching.

[quote name='DestroVega']If Moss hadn't started bitching about a new contract with New England last year he'd still be in top form I think. He had a good thing and messed it up, again.

As for the 49ers, players really can't hold out anymore other than miss a day or two to make it known they are unhappy, the fines are now $30,000 per day and there is a date you don't get a year of service, so you basically are going to make your contract situation worse if you do that.

I think the 49ers are going to feel out their roster this year and evaluate, even if it means going 2-14 and getting Luck (which they would love anyway). The only guys I really want them to sign are Olin Kreutz, and Malcolm Floyd, and whatever CB they can, the secondary is pathetic. right now their worst positions are the most important. Center, QB, CB... that's going to result in lots of lopsided affairs.[/QUOTE]It seems as if that's the plan.

I do want to say, if everything breaks right for the 49ers they could still win the division. Their schedule is tough though (again) and we've talked about all the holes they have and how they want to build the team.

Dashon Goldson venting on Twitter... a good player, don't understand the 9ers here. http://twitter.com/#!/thehawk38

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I think will happen:

- The Eagles will under-perform, since they'll go in as the favorites, and thus play down to everyone's level, making situations worse than they really should be.
- The Jets will start off very poor due to Training Camp being so short, but will likely finish 9-7, missing the Playoffs
- The Redskins will start off good due to Training Camp being so short, but will likely finish 7-9
- The Patriots will continue to be the Patriots
- I think the short offseason will help the Baltimore Defense because they'll have less wear on them by the end of the Season than usual

OMG: Lions, Raiders, Texans and Cowboys

LOL: Panthers, NFC West, Bills and 49ers

[quote name='KingBroly']Here's what I think will happen:

- The Eagles will under-perform, since they'll go in as the favorites, and thus play down to everyone's level, making situations worse than they really should be.
- The Jets will start off very poor due to Training Camp being so short, but will likely finish 9-7, missing the Playoffs
- The Redskins will start off good due to Training Camp being so short, but will likely finish 7-9
- I think the short offseason will help the Baltimore Defense because they'll have less wear on them by the end of the Season than usual

LOL: Panthers, NFC West, Bills and 49ers[/QUOTE]

Redskins 7-9? But....Rex Grossman.

[quote name='KingBroly']Here's what I think will happen:

LOL: Panthers, NFC West, Bills and 49ers[/QUOTE]
it all depends. first, no one ont he eagles beside VY think they're the "dream team." everyone know that it's the packers.
and yeah, we could under preform, if the expectation is perfection. or if it is even 13-3. and yeah, i'm sure if they don't win the super bowl, they will have "failed."

but my question is who the fuck said this? does anyone actually listen to the team? of course not. we know we have to earn it, no one is going to give it to us. i personally think it won't happen this year, but at least we have a chance.

it just bugs the shit out of me that just because we added depth means we know have to win a super bowl. it's not like nnamdi waited until the last second to sign, it's not like we said that we are gonna win not 5, not 6, but 7 rings. we aren't the fucking heat, and this isn't basketball.

The first blow for the Browns is Reggie Hodges' torn ACL that means he'll miss the season, so I hope the new punter, Richmond McGee, is at least decent since he's been in the league for five years yet hasn't played a game yet. He was on the practice squad when Shurmur and Heckert were with Philly, so it seems like they're raiding their former teams for players from the moves they've made lately. They traded for Rams guard John Greco to be the new RG, a trade for Philly DT Brodrick Bunkley was nearly done, and the newest signing was CB Dimitri Patterson from Philly, who may be the #3 CB that they need after Eric Wright left.

Lawrence Vickers signed with Houston, so they got a hell of a fullback that will help make their running game much better.

Eric Mangini just signed on to be an analyst with ESPN, though he hasn't really done much as a coach to really be able to offer much analysis.

[quote name='RELISCH']it all depends. first, no one ont he eagles beside VY think they're the "dream team." everyone know that it's the packers.
and yeah, we could under preform, if the expectation is perfection. or if it is even 13-3. and yeah, i'm sure if they don't win the super bowl, they will have "failed."

but my question is who the fuck said this? does anyone actually listen to the team? of course not. we know we have to earn it, no one is going to give it to us. i personally think it won't happen this year, but at least we have a chance.

it just bugs the shit out of me that just because we added depth means we know have to win a super bowl. it's not like nnamdi waited until the last second to sign, it's not like we said that we are gonna win not 5, not 6, but 7 rings. we aren't the fucking heat, and this isn't basketball.[/QUOTE]

It's an aura/hype thing. If ESPN is saying 'OMGEAGLESRDATEAM' the players will buy into it, and so they'll feel they don't have to get up and play every game because they'll be able to cruise by everyone, sorta like the Miami Heat last year. While the Heat did eventually get up and play all the way to the NBA Finals, they still lost and blamed everyone but themselves for their failure.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The first blow for the Browns is Reggie Hodges' torn ACL that means he'll miss the season, so I hope the new punter, Richmond McGee, is at least decent since he's been in the league for five years yet hasn't played a game yet. He was on the practice squad when Shurmur and Heckert were with Philly, so it seems like they're raiding their former teams for players from the moves they've made lately. They traded for Rams guard John Greco to be the new RG, a trade for Philly DT Brodrick Bunkley was nearly done, and the newest signing was CB Dimitri Patterson from Philly, who may be the #3 CB that they need after Eric Wright left.

Lawrence Vickers signed with Houston, so they got a hell of a fullback that will help make their running game much better.

Eric Mangini just signed on to be an analyst with ESPN, though he hasn't really done much as a coach to really be able to offer much analysis.[/QUOTE]

It's better than Matt Millen or whatever that hack of a lion General Manager calls himself.

I think my bolts have a chance as long as Sanders and Spikes stay healthy.

Lots of guys that talk about football like the Panthers moves, and the 49ers did put together some talent in the last few days and all the players so the defense and offense and how they are run now is like "not and day" and "english vs. spanish" they could overachieve if it all breaks right.

The Bills are horrid though.

[quote name='KingBroly']It's an aura/hype thing. If ESPN is saying 'OMGEAGLESRDATEAM' the players will buy into it, and so they'll feel they don't have to get up and play every game because they'll be able to cruise by everyone, sorta like the Miami Heat last year. While the Heat did eventually get up and play all the way to the NBA Finals, they still lost and blamed everyone but themselves for their failure.[/QUOTE]
exactly why i hate it. fuck vince young.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']It's better than Matt Millen or whatever that hack of a lion General Manager calls himself.

I think my bolts have a chance as long as Sanders and Spikes stay healthy.[/QUOTE]
At least he was a pretty good commentator/analyst on ESPN since that was what he did before joining Detroit. I can't recall Mangini ever really seeming like he had a good TV personality from his press conferences.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']how many teams wished they drafted mallet after yesterday?[/QUOTE]
He reminds me of Bledsoe, you just don't find guys like that in the 3rd round. Hoyer looked good too, but you can't get too excited in the preseason, especially against the Jags 2nd and 3rd string guys.

This was a great start for the Cleveland Browns with Colt McCoy leading the passing attack by being accurate and spreading the ball around to keep the defense off balance. The running game wasn't a big factor, though I'm not surprised since it seems like Shurmur wanted to test the weaker aspect of their offense more than the running game that doesn't need to be a focus right now.

Not liking the Browns' chances with the list of players that are not playing tonight:

#Browns not expected to play tonight: Massaquoi, C. Mitchell, U. Young, Hardesty, Hillis, Ward, Gocong, Steinbach, Fletcher, Watson, Fujita
I hope these guys aren't out for too long, as they can't afford to have key starters be out when the real games start.

I expect a number of mistakes for young teams, but 14 fucking penalties with just under five minutes to go in the second quarter is insane. Looking at the third scoring drive for Cleveland, there were seven penalties alone on that drive.

Both defenses are looking good at putting a lot of pressure on the opponent, but that seems to lead to lots of mistakes. Colt's doing really well with three TDs despite all of the pressure, and not having Eric Steinbach does him no favors either. He's getting a lot of help from the defense/special teams giving him a short field to work with.

[quote name='john clayton']it looks as though ryan williams might be done for the season. Everything in running game falls on beanie wells for the cards.[/quote]
Unfortunate, but good for my fantasy team (draft was during the game, I picked him when I saw the injury in the 9th round).

I guess Larry Fitzgerald is happy with Kevin Kolb as his QB, as he signed an eight year, $120 million deal with Arizona to make him the highest paid WR in the league.

Goodell's upholding the five game ban that Pryor would've faced if he stayed at Ohio State so that he can't do anything until Week 6 for whoever he signs with, which is weird even for Goodell.

[quote name='ph33r m3']RIP Tim Tebow's NFL career.

Toronto Argo's need a QB, Cleo Lemon is somehow worse than him.[/QUOTE]

He went 6/7 with no pics and had 2 rushes for 15 yds, so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.
Unles he got injured or something

EDIT: My mistake, carry on.

That was the first game. In the second preseason game he was dropped to third string and his stat line was 1/2 10 yards and 1 rush for 7.

[quote name='DT778']That was the first game. In the second preseason game he was dropped to third string and his state line was 1/2 10 yards and 1 rush for 7.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I just saw that. Stupid sportacular app. :whistle2:#

Whatever happened to Ackbar's picking thread with prizes for the winners? Hmmmm....

In any case, I cannot help but think the Lions are going to be a darkhorse this season. If they can keep their QB's protected AT ALL, I think they have a great shot at pulling off some decent wins and perhaps an even record this season. The team has been young for years now but are starting to mature and improve, its just that every year it seems like the Offensive Line is so garbage that all their QBs end up hurt or they are throwing endless interceptions due to pressure.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Whatever happened to Ackbar's picking thread with prizes for the winners? Hmmmm....
[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking about that today.... I know espn has something like that which would be a lot easier to follow, but who knows.

I was looking forward to Ackbar's thread because I am quite certain I would make it past week 5 this time and wanted some free goodies! :rofl: I can't even seem to find the thread at all in my subscriptions list...

Denver should trade Tebow at this point. I actually think he could win at the NFL level, now he's basically buried cause the guy who drafted him is no longer there.

Well Tebow entire career is a shame anyway. The problem started where he was drafted, he should have gone where he was suppose to...4th or 5th round. Bench for 3 or 4 years and then play.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well Tebow entire career is a shame anyway. The problem started where he was drafted, he should have gone where he was suppose to...4th or 5th round. Bench for 3 or 4 years and then play.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* yeah..

I don't mind that they took a chance on him. What I was shocked about was they blew a first round pick on him.

Freggin McD...

[quote name='DestroVega']Denver should trade Tebow at this point. I actually think he could win at the NFL level, now he's basically buried cause the guy who drafted him is no longer there.[/QUOTE]

He would have been McD's pet project, but that went to shit because of McD's terrible HCing.

I read a story on CBS Sports that suggested that Denver may just cut Tim Tebow and this long, drawn out story seems like a media creation rather than anything close to what's really happening. The only position where they have stability is at quarterback since Kyle Orton can run the offense in his sleep, so going from nearly pulling the trigger on the Orton/Miami trade to considering cutting Tebow seems like far too big of a swing. Why would they be even putting this kind of attention on the QBs when they have to turnaround the league's worst defense in a few weeks with a new scheme?

Orton was just announced as the opening day starter.

Looks like the Tebow era might just have to wait. (not that I really mind :p)

Jesus, it's tough being a Raider's fan with Al Davis as owner.

A third round pick next year to pick Terrell Pryor in the supplemental draft today? Seriously? :bomb:

[quote name='dmaul1114']Jesus, it's tough being a Raider's fan with Al Davis as owner.

A third round pick next year to pick Terrell Pryor in the supplemental draft today? Seriously? :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I love Al Davis. Really. I hope he lives another 1000 years. :D

The best signing of the pre-season for the Browns is giving Joe Thomas a seven year, $84 million extension to keep the best LT in the league in Cleveland.

[quote name='jello44']I love Al Davis. Really. I hope he lives another 1000 years. :D[/QUOTE]

Same. Although somehow his piece of shit team managed to sweep the Chargers last year so here's hoping lightning doesn't strike twice.

[quote name='Halo05']Same. Although somehow his piece of shit team managed to sweep the Chargers last year so here's hoping lightning doesn't strike twice.[/QUOTE]

They swept the Broncos too, but then again, who didn't beat them?

Yeah, the Raiders were 6-0 against AFC West teams, but 2-8 against everyone else last year.

One of very few teams to sweep their division and not make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back