Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out this week for Cleveland:
Cribbs, Massaquoi, Mitchell, Patterson, Hagg, Young, B. Jackson, Ward, Gocong, Steinbach, Fletcher and Octavien won't play vs. the Eagles.
Three starters on the defense are out along with a number of key players in the secondary and three on the offense (two WRs), which hurts the defense more since they have a tougher assignment with Vick and the Eagles for about three quarters. Having Watson, Hillis, and Hardesty on offense will help with the absence of Cribbs, Massaquoi, and Brandon Jackson.

This has been a nice pre-season so far for them since they will have three great tests for their progress in their new schemes. Green Bay provided a nice way to see how their grasp of the WCO/4-3 was after two weeks, which was successful. Detroit was a great test of that offensive line against the strong linemen that Detroit has along with the defense having to contain Stafford, which was extremely successful on offense and mostly successful on defense given the absences they had. Philly should test out Colt's ability to adapt to a great secondary very well and the defensive line needs to use their speed to put pressure on Vick to cause mistakes like Pittsburgh.

This was a very tough game to watch as the Dream Team defense did a great job in taking away Colt's options and making it very hard for him to get any kind of rhythm going. He reluctantly had to make short yardage passes to RBs, TEs, and an occasional WR near the line of scrimmage. He definitely still has a ways to go before he can even think of getting the best of that kind of secondary. The other big negative were the turnovers, two of which were on punts and the third in Colt's only pick of the pre-season, that gave the Eagles easy touchdowns on short drives in the same way that Cleveland did the same against Detroit last week. They cannot make those kinds of mistakes and expect to win consistently.

The good things I saw was that defensive line that abused the rookie-filled offensive line as Phil Taylor caused a number of issues for them to make Vick have to get out of the pocket, which is where he was a big problem for them. The other seven guys had trouble backing up the DL since they're not fast enough to catch him, so they needed to do a better job to contain Vick and get good tackles in whether he keeps the ball or not. Not having three key contributors in the secondary and two linebackers certainly played a part on the short drives. The roughing the passer call on D'Qwell Jackson was a bad call that seemed to throw the whole team off balance for the rest of the half. The running game seemed to do well as Peyton got some good runs in and played a big part in the passing game since he won't be covered by the DBs.

How does the sports media get back at Tim Tebow for being the #2 QB for Denver tonight? Chris Mortenson was on Cleveland Browns Daily to talk about the NFL at large and the Tebow topic came up, which he said his sources at Denver had no plans to trade/cut him since he's the only QB under contract for next season and was just paid nearly $7 million for his guaranteed draft money. I guess next week will be the final battle for the Media vs. Tebow war.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki'] I guess next week will be the final battle for the Media vs. Tebow war.[/QUOTE]

its more like the media vs the media war.

It's good to see Carlton Mitchell and Mohammed Massaquoi back at practice, but Eric Steinbach and Brandon Jackson potentially being out for the season is not great news.

Some more A&M rumblings:

A&M receives letter from Big 12 confirming mutual waivers of legal claims, taking next step toward possible SEC move

Texas A&M officials received a letter today from Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe, outlining withdrawal procedures according to the financial provisions of Big 12 bylaws and mutual waivers of legal claims.

The letter, received in response to A&M’s Thursday request for withdrawal procedures, should help expedite A&M’s apparent move to the Southeastern Conference.

In a statement released today, A&M president R. Bowen Loftin stressed that it is “not our intent to prolong our conference exploration for an extended period of time.” Sources at both A&M and the Big 12 have suggested that, because of the mutual waiver of legal claims in regard to a possible A&M move to the SEC, an announcement in regard to the school’s application for SEC membership could occur by the end of the week.

In Monday’s statement, Loftin said: “I certainly appreciate the discussion among the Big 12 presidents/chancellors (during Saturday’s teleconference) and the expression for their desire for Texas A&M to remain in the conference. We all agree that Texas A&M is an extremely valuable institution; thus, it is incumbent upon me, as the president of the university, to ensure that we are in a position to enhance our national visibility and future financial opportunity. While this is a complex and long-term decision, it is not our intent to prolong our conference exploration for an extended period of time.”

Vick got a 6 year, $100 million dollar deal with Philly. The money's not a surprise, but the length is interesting since he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Cedric Benson's going to jail for at most 20 days, but could have a shortened sentence while still missing a few weeks in the middle of Cincy's season.

i wasn't surprised when i saw vick sign with phiilly for that long or that much. its too bad we'll probably never see a minnesota/philly nfc championship game (well, while donovan and vick are there).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i wasn't surprised when i saw vick sign with phiilly for that long or that much. its too bad we'll probably never see a minnesota/philly nfc championship game (well, while donovan and vick are there).[/QUOTE]

I certainly feel like Philly has what it takes to make it to the championship game...

Oh wait...

/MN fan...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Vick got a 6 year, $100 million dollar deal with Philly. The money's not a surprise, but the length is interesting since he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

Cedric Benson's going to jail for at most 20 days, but could have a shortened sentence while still missing a few weeks in the middle of Cincy's season.[/QUOTE]

And it won't be long til Iggles fans start bitching about Vick and run him out of town.

It's cut down day, time to see if Chester Taylor is on his out of Chicago, or if the injuries to Barber and Bell mean he gets to keep up with his 2 yards-per-carry.

The Browns have cut 16 of the 26 they need to cut and DB Coye Francies is probably the only surprise of the group. I'm interested to see whether Armond Smith played his way into the #4 RB slot or if Quinn Porter will get that spot.

Chicago signed Brandon Meriweather. I'm interested to see how they'll use him and what this means for Chris Harris and Major Wright, also how quickly he can pick up the cover two scheme.

[quote name='gravel']Chicago signed Brandon Meriweather. I'm interested to see how they'll use him and what this means for Chris Harris and Major Wright, also how quickly he can pick up the cover two scheme.[/QUOTE]

Good signing, the Patriots were dumb to release him.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Good signing, the Patriots were dumb to release him.[/QUOTE]
Meriweather's dumb as rocks and would rather freelance than do his job within the system, we've known for about a year and a half that he'd be gone eventually. If he's in a system where he doesn't need to think too much, he'll be fine.

[quote name='dafoomie']Meriweather's dumb as rocks and would rather freelance than do his job within the system, we've known for about a year and a half that he'd be gone eventually. If he's in a system where he doesn't need to think too much, he'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

At least they could have traded him for a 3rd round pick.

[quote name='gbpackers94']At least they could have traded him for a 3rd round pick.[/QUOTE]
They've been trying to trade him since the day the lockout ended, if anyone even offered a 7th round pick he would've been gone.

That's the second player that got a two year deal this summer and is now out for half of it, with the other being Reggie Hodges. At least Richmond McGee looks like a solid replacement. Armond Smith had fumbling problems in his first two preseason games, though he clearly was focused on protecting the ball in the Bears game while still having success with his speed.

It seems like the NFL needs an MLB style disabled list system where you can have shorter terms options to free up roster space when injuries happen without having to kill a guy's entire season if he might be able to come back later in the season.

[quote name='dafoomie']They've been trying to trade him since the day the lockout ended, if anyone even offered a 7th round pick he would've been gone.[/QUOTE]

good riddance the dude was a moron

New on Peyton Manning:
"1070 The Fan in Indianapolis reports Sunday that Colts QB Peyton Manning needs another surgery on his injured neck. The report says he is out indefinitely, though the team would not officially comment on the matter. Manning has undergone two procedures in the last year-and-a-half, and the latest one caused him to miss the majority of the preseason practices along with all the games."

Also, Matt Cassel reportedly has a cracked rib.

[quote name='gravel']New on Peyton Manning:
"1070 The Fan in Indianapolis reports Sunday that Colts QB Peyton Manning needs another surgery on his injured neck. The report says he is out indefinitely, though the team would not officially comment on the matter. Manning has undergone two procedures in the last year-and-a-half, and the latest one caused him to miss the majority of the preseason practices along with all the games."

Also, Matt Cassel reportedly has a cracked rib.[/QUOTE]

Don't know what Haley was thinking, had Charles and Cassel both in in the 4th quarter of game #4?!

And Manning isn't getting another surgery right now.

Also, 49ers have two totally raw rookies as their backup QBs... yikes.

[quote name='DestroVega']Don't know what Haley was thinking, had Charles and Cassel both in in the 4th quarter of game #4?!

And Manning isn't getting another surgery right now.

Also, 49ers have two totally raw rookies as their backup QBs... yikes.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard more about Manning today, no practice and he's being re-evaluated. Either way, the news isn't good for the Colts.

David Garrard was cut by Jacksonville, which was surprising until I saw that he was due to get $8 million this season. He's a solid QB, but that seems like a bit much for just a solid placeholder until Gabbert's ready to take over.

I highly doubt the Patriots make bad personnel decisions, pro bowler or not, Meriweather obviously wasn't a good fit anymore. They'll even get rid of hall of famers midseason and see how well that turned out for them, see last year.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']David Garrard was cut by Jacksonville, which was surprising until I saw that he was due to get $8 million this season. He's a solid QB, but that seems like a bit much for just a solid placeholder until Gabbert's ready to take over.[/QUOTE]

I was surprised by the move. I figure he will get picked up somewhere fairly quick. Seattle maybe? Miami? Washington? Buffalo?

From what I read, if a team waits until after week one, the $8 million is nullified so they can offer what they want. Seattle or San Francisco have been mentioned as likely suitors.

Not completely surprised by Garrard's release. I figured that it would happen on Saturday if at all. Wish McCown had more practice in preseason games. Garrard's a great guy, but is very inconsistent.

[quote name='DestroVega']Pete Carroll has no interest as they are "Very set at QB"

LOL you have to be kidding me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's odd... I mean Garrard isn't an elite QB but he's better than Jackson and Whitehurst.

I wouldn't mind SF signing him. I mean let's face it, our QB situation is a mess. Alex Smith is Alex Smith, I don't think we're going to see anything new from him this year. Kaepernick is a work in progress, he's not ready to go full time. And Tolzien... yeah. Garrard can get signed, learn the offense while Smith gets another chance, and then take over when the 49ers after the 49ers BYE week when the schedule actually gets tough. 3-3 through the first 6 weeks, Garrard comes in, wins 5 or 6 of the last 10 games and boom, NFC West champs. And then we somehow trade up in the draft next year and get Luck, Garrard stays for another season while Luck adapts. And then in 2015 we win the Super Bowl which will be hosted in the 49ers new Santa Clara stadium. Yes... it's all coming together.

I'd rather the Niners stick with what they got then go for a dude who been playing so shitty that he got cut days before the start of the season in favor of the third stringer.

[quote name='DT778']I'd rather the Niners stick with what they got then go for a dude who been playing so shitty that he got cut days before the start of the season in favor of the third stringer.[/QUOTE]

Garrard hasn't been terrible, he's been mediocre. The move was a cost cutting move by Jax. Same thing they did with Leftwich, but they are a better team right now with Garrard than with McCown or Gabbert. Garrard has been better than Alex Smith or Tavaris Jackson, but with zero prep time for a new offense, it might not look it.

It's unfortunate for Jaguars fans because they have a good running game and possibly a good defense and that division might be up in the air this year. It's looking like Houston's to lose at this point.

I hate when players demand where they go in drafts, but yesterday listening to the radio the idea of Luck demanding to go to SF to reunite with Harbaugh was brought up.

While I'd love to get Luck, I'd also hate that cause I can't be a hypocrite.

^At this point, I doubt he plays... Manning is the biggest negative product of the lockout, they might have been able to do something earlier.

I didn't know that the season began tonight since I thought the NFL was gung-ho about beginning on 9/11 to celebrate/honor the 10th anniversary with a lot of rivalry games. I'm also surprised that Denver/Oakland is on West Coast MNF, which is a match-up of two teams that missed the playoffs last year and clearly are deserving of nationwide attention. Looking at the full set of games, nothing else really sticks out for a big west coast game to play in that slot.

I'm kind of disappointed that Auston English had a great pre-season with four sacks and is now relegated to the practice squad when the LB depth isn't that great right now with one of the starting LBs missing all of the preseason games.

Bears first five games will go a long way in deciding their fate. Atlanta, N.O, Green Bay, Panthers, and then the Lions on MNF. That's a rough way for us to start the season. I'd be happy if we go 3-2.

Never thought I'd see the day where I'm actually worried about playing the Lions although in all honesty they beat us week #1 last year but got screwed by the rulebook.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I was surprised by the move. I figure he will get picked up somewhere fairly quick. Seattle maybe? Miami? Washington? Buffalo?[/QUOTE]

How about the 49ers? The best QB on their team right now is their coach!

[quote name='Chitown021']Bears first five games will go a long way in deciding their fate. Atlanta, N.O, Green Bay, Panthers, and then the Lions on MNF. That's a rough way for us to start the season. I'd be happy if we go 3-2.

Never thought I'd see the day where I'm actually worried about playing the Lions although in all honesty they beat us week #1 last year but got screwed by the rulebook.[/QUOTE]

Chicago's schedule is rough, but at least everyone is picking against them. That's usually when they have their best seasons. I'm excited that they have Sunday Ticket on the PS3 now, I'll be able to see more Chicago games.

[quote name='gravel']Chicago's schedule is rough, but at least everyone is picking against them. That's usually when they have their best seasons. I'm excited that they have Sunday Ticket on the PS3 now, I'll be able to see more Chicago games.[/QUOTE]

We'll go as far as Quitler and that revamped O-Line take us. I'm disappointed to see Marion Barber is out for game #1. He looked like a beast in the preseason.

I've been meaning to call DirecTV and see if I can get them to work that if I threaten to go to ATT U-Verse. I've seen all of the ads where they give the ticket for free to new subscribers. At least we get the trial during week 1 so I'll be able to watch the Falcons-Bears this Sunday.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Gah! Stupid rain from Tropical stupid storm Lee is messing up my stupid DishTV so now I have to watch the game on a stupid stream. :([/QUOTE]

It's ok, you're not missing much... Blah blah blah, Aaron Rodgers, blah blah blah, Green Bay Packers. It's enough to turn your stomach... ;)

The only thing I like about Green Bay is Jordy Nelson. I got to see him play locally for Kansas State when he was in college. He was a stud on a very mediocre Wildcat team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back