Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='bvharris']You're an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Eh, call me an idiot if you'd like but Boston fans have supplanted New York fans as the cockiest and most annoying fans in professional sports.

What the hell is going on with the GB/Chicago game? The announcers are trying to figure out if they called a hold on either: a) a number that isn't being fielded or b) on a guy who was 10 yards away from any other player..

rotf @ flag thrown on the opposite side of the field where noone was for a hold everyone is still trying to figure out where it occurred gg refs

Nice win for the Raiders over the Jets 34-24.

Defense sucked again, but stepped up with a goal line stand late in the game.

Shame the D blew the big lead last week or they could be 3-0 for the first time in ages.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Nice win for the Raiders over the Jets 34-24.

Defense sucked again, but stepped up with a goal line stand late in the game.

Shame the D blew the big lead last week or they could be 3-0 for the first time in ages.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get to watch it, but seeing the highlights sure makes it seem like they played a hell of a game all-around. Patrick and Dungee were just saying the Raiders ran the ball well AND played D well, but maybe you had to watch the game to really say. I just hope they can carry the momentum into the Patriots game next week... :pray:

fuck you Vick! You are personally killing my fantasy team!

The Bears did about what I expected today: they couldn't run the ball so they were forced to throw. Then it was only a matter of time for Cutler to either get killed by the pass rush or throw a couple picks trying to force the ball. The game sort of reminded me of the Mizzou - OU game yesterday. Although the score never got out of hand it was almost like the Packers were toying with us. Just sort of hanging around making plays when they had to.

Obviously this team is not good enough to win anything this year. I think I would prefer to lose the rest of the season, get a good pick, and FIRE Lovie Smith and GM Jerry DeAngelo immediately!!!!

[quote name='keithp']I didn't get to watch it, but seeing the highlights sure makes it seem like they played a hell of a game all-around. Patrick and Dungee were just saying the Raiders ran the ball well AND played D well, but maybe you had to watch the game to really say. I just hope they can carry the momentum into the Patriots game next week... :pray:[/QUOTE]

Jets had 339 passing yards and 100 rushing yards, so the defense definitley wasn't great.

[quote name='Tronny']Congratulations are in order for Ms. Jim 'I don't have faith in my team to stop another team with less than two seconds left so we'll just eat two points and look like bitches' Harbaugh. Good showing.[/QUOTE]

Teams do this all the time.

And guys, stop with the Patriot excuses. The plain fact is their defense sucks. It's been bad all 3 games. That was a trap game, I bet my manager 10 bucks and told him he could keep the 8 1/2.

Big blow to the Titans with Britt. he's a red-zone beast.

[quote name='Chitown021']fuck you Vick! You are personally killing my fantasy team!
[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have drafted him. I have four teams and wouldn't go anywhere near Vick

There was some awful calls and officiating in the Bears/Packers game especially the run back at the end. No excuse though, Cutler played crappy and the receivers couldn't hold onto the damn ball. I don't want the Bears to lose but I hate Lovie Smith and rather see someone else at QB instead of someone who never learns.

[quote name='DestroVega']Teams do this all the time.

And guys, stop with the Patriot excuses. The plain fact is their defense sucks. It's been bad all 3 games. That was a trap game, I bet my manager 10 bucks and told him he could keep the 8 1/2.

Big blow to the Titans with Britt. he's a red-zone beast.

You shouldn't have drafted him. I have four teams and wouldn't go anywhere near Vick[/QUOTE]

I drafted him, but luckily I picked up Cam Newton on waivers after week 1 in addition to the backup I drafted, Ben Roethlisberger.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I drafted him, but luckily I picked up Cam Newton on waivers after week 1 in addition to the backup I drafted, Ben Roethlisberger.[/QUOTE]

I drafted Vick only because he lasted so long on our board. I also grabbed Cam Newton off waivers so I have a good backup as long as he continues to put up monster numbers (not so much this week but it looks like Cam was playing in some really wet conditions).

I thought I was going to steal Stafford in the later rounds but then one of the other teams nabbed him one pick before it came back to me.

[quote name='TooMuchCoolness']Bears couldn't afford to lose this game but they blew it. *sigh* season is already over...[/QUOTE]

You're right but that's pretty much what I was expecting coming into this game. I'm pulling for the Lions to win the division if we can't have it. Their fans have suffered for years so it's got to be nice for them to finally have some success.

If we don't have a chance to win this year I'd prefer to suck it out the rest of the way to get a good draft pick and then clean house (Lovie and DeAngelo have to go). Failure to address the O-line issue, letting Kreutz walk, and signing a bum like Roy Williams in the off season are inexcusable.

[quote name='perdition(troy']As a Packer fan I can't wait to see Lovie go. Seeing his face on the sidelines every bears game just gets annoying.[/QUOTE]

Hell, it's annoying seeing it as a Bears fan. There's just no intensity or emotion. Whether they win or lose he just sort of sits there. He should have been fired six years ago when his refusal to admit that the team was only winning because of their lockdown D and leaving Grossman in at QB cost us a Superbowl.

EDIT: Bears should see if they can't lure Bill Cowher out of retirement to coach them. Either that or give Singletary another shot. I think he's a good coach he just got stuck in a bad situation in SF (The cupboards were bare when he got there and on top of that had to deal with a slew of injuries)

[quote name='Chitown021']Hell, it's annoying seeing it as a Bears fan. There's just no intensity or emotion. Whether they win or lose he just sort of sits there. He should have been fired six years ago when his refusal to admit that the team was only winning because of their lockdown D and leaving Grossman in at QB cost us a Superbowl.

EDIT: Bears should see if they can't lure Bill Cowher out of retirement to coach them. Either that or give Singletary another shot. I think he's a good coach he just got stuck in a bad situation in SF (The cupboards were bare when he got there and on top of that had to deal with a slew of injuries)[/QUOTE]

Holy shit dude, you want no part of Siingletary. He has no clue what he is doing on the sidelines. If they had Harbaugh last year they win that division by 2 games at least.

Also, Cowher is all but locked in with the Giants as soon as Coughlin runs his course. He's 66 already, if they don't make the playoffs this year he is gone, if they do, he has two more years max. Cowher has waited this long, he'll keep waiting.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It's being reported that Vick's hand is bruised, not broken.[/QUOTE]

I saw that. I was checking my FF team and initially it said he would be out 3-4 weeks then Andy Reid reported that his hand was just bruised and he'd be day-to-day. Even if he is cleared to play do I risk starting him again or just roll with my backup, Cam Newton?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']It's being reported that Vick's hand is bruised, not broken.[/QUOTE]

I saw that this afternoon when I was scouting the waiver wire for potential pickups. This morning they were saying broken hand and he'd be out 3-4 weeks. Then I saw on ESPN Andy Reid say it was just a deep bruise and he's day-to-day.

[quote name='DestroVega']Holy shit dude, you want no part of Siingletary. He has no clue what he is doing on the sidelines. If they had Harbaugh last year they win that division by 2 games at least.

Also, Cowher is all but locked in with the Giants as soon as Coughlin runs his course. He's 66 already, if they don't make the playoffs this year he is gone, if they do, he has two more years max. Cowher has waited this long, he'll keep waiting.[/QUOTE]

All I know is we're way overdue for a change.

[quote name='Chitown021']

All I know is we're way overdue for a change.[/QUOTE]

I was talking with my gf and brother about how shocking it is that Smith is still the coach. It just doesn't make sense after the last several seasons.

Man, the 49ers game sounded awful, I'm glad I didn't have to watch it while I was on vacation. The 49ers are the worst 1st place team right now. I think we've lost our chance at Andrew Luck just because our division is so bad we actually have a shot of making the playoffs.

[quote name='Chitown021']I drafted Vick only because he lasted so long on our board. I also grabbed Cam Newton off waivers so I have a good backup as long as he continues to put up monster numbers (not so much this week but it looks like Cam was playing in some really wet conditions). [/QUOTE]
He wasn't playing like he had been before the monsoon hit Charlotte, stats-wise. Of course, the rain didn't help either.

this is one of the worst games ive watched this season but then again its to be expected since it does involve failboys and the deadskins neither team looks credible at all.

thank god that awful shit is purged from my tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I was talking with my gf and brother about how shocking it is that Smith is still the coach. It just doesn't make sense after the last several seasons.

Man, the 49ers game sounded awful, I'm glad I didn't have to watch it while I was on vacation. The 49ers are the worst 1st place team right now. I think we've lost our chance at Andrew Luck just because our division is so bad we actually have a shot of making the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

they aren't that bad. they have an O-line that needs time to develop and that's not good for offense.

They are a lockdown corner away from a top 5 defense. You aren't a horrible team with that type of D.

[quote name='Burning Karma']He wasn't playing like he had been before the monsoon hit Charlotte, stats-wise. Of course, the rain didn't help either.[/QUOTE]

I saw the highlights from the downpour so I figured that had a lot to do with his lower numbers this week. At least I hope that's the case.

[quote name='Chitown021']I saw the highlights from the downpour so I figured that had a lot to do with his lower numbers this week. At least I hope that's the case.[/QUOTE]

WR's dropped a TON of balls.

[quote name='DestroVega']they aren't that bad. they have an O-line that needs time to develop and that's not good for offense.

They are a lockdown corner away from a top 5 defense. You aren't a horrible team with that type of D.[/QUOTE]

Our defense is the only reason we have a shot. The 49ers are last in total offense, 28th in the pass, 30th in the run, and 30th in first downs. Frank Gore is averaging less than 3 yards a carry, Vernon Davis is our leading receiver with 179 yards... through 3 games. Remember that kid, Michael Crabtree? Well you shouldn't he's had 4 receptions for 28 yards this year (too be fair he has been injured). The point is, the defense can only do so much.

^ he also had a TD called out of bounds which he swears wasn't although I still haven't seen that play.

I'm not trying to make excuses. The D is very impressive except for the corners. (and Spencer just came back)

The offense is a new system which had no OTA training to implement. The O-Line is young, Gore is Old, and Smith isn't great. All equal up to a weak offense. It could, should, get better as the season goes along. The more troubling thing to me, I still see no light at the end of the QB tunnel. (maybe Jim can suit up for a big game?)

[quote name='DestroVega']The more troubling thing to me, I still see no light at the end of the QB tunnel. (maybe Jim can suit up for a big game?)[/QUOTE]

Yup. They have 3 options...

Hand it over to Kaepernick next season.

Sign a free agent (including Alex Smith... again). Next year, there's Orton (not a long term solution), Fitzpatrick and Brees (both of who will undoubtedly resign), and guys like Henne and Whitehurst. Not exactly the cream of the crop there.

Draft a QB and throw him to the wolves. Luck would be great, but everyone wants Luck and unless the 49ers have the #1 pick, they're not getting him. So that leaves, Moore? Cousins? I think Luck is probably the only guy who could be a first year starter (of course that could change).

[quote name='DT778']The running defense is great but this is a passing league and the Niners have no quarterback and no pass defense.[/QUOTE]

You have to temper that statement. They have a weak secondary, they have some of the best cover LB's in the league. Also, give me a team with a great pass defense.. Cause the Jets and the Eagles tri-fecta of corners looked really awesome Sunday.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Yup. They have 3 options...

Hand it over to Kaepernick next season.

Sign a free agent (including Alex Smith... again). Next year, there's Orton (not a long term solution), Fitzpatrick and Brees (both of who will undoubtedly resign), and guys like Henne and Whitehurst. Not exactly the cream of the crop there.

Draft a QB and throw him to the wolves. Luck would be great, but everyone wants Luck and unless the 49ers have the #1 pick, they're not getting him. So that leaves, Moore? Cousins? I think Luck is probably the only guy who could be a first year starter (of course that could change).[/QUOTE]

They'll make a run at Fitzpatrick due to the York's trying to get the O.K. for the new stadium in Santa Clara.

Don't count out them drafting Barkley, Harbaugh saw a lot of him at Stanford. Either way, dude's a genius and I don't question thou God.

[quote name='DestroVega']You have to temper that statement. They have a weak secondary, they have some of the best cover LB's in the league. Also, give me a team with a great pass defense.. Cause the Jets and the Eagles tri-fecta of corners looked really awesome Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Nmandi's so overrated it's not even funny.

Was it for him being on his knees after the TD? That is not allowed at all in the No Fun League because they think its some kind of religious celebration, just another way to steal some money from the players for no reason.

[quote name='bvharris']The defense definitely doesn't look fantastic on most days, but they were missing several key defenders today (Dowling, Chung, Haynesworth), and Brady also threw 4 picks. I'll give the D a mulligan here, this one was on Brady.[/QUOTE]

For me it was on the play calling. That third pick should have never happened. We were up 7 on their 20 with 10 minutes left and were running through their defense like a hot knife through butter. Should have never been passing the ball there

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Was it for him being on his knees after the TD? That is not allowed at all in the No Fun League because they think its some kind of religious celebration, just another way to steal some money from the players for no reason.[/QUOTE]
No, it was for the part where he stumbled and fell to the ground while trying to get up from an awkward position and Ben Watson grabbed him while he was on the ground. Being on his knees was just how he got up after making a diving catch, so there was nothing to complain about there.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That was definitely a horseshit call for unnecessary celebration.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No, it was for the part where he stumbled and fell to the ground while trying to get up from an awkward position and Ben Watson grabbed him while he was on the ground. Being on his knees was just how he got up after making a diving catch, so there was nothing to complain about there.[/QUOTE]

Agreed dude, that is fucking ridiculous. One of the most outrageous fines I've seen.

And then out of nowhere, random fan appears in the celebration! At 1:31.

That's just a ridiculous flag and fine. Dude fell down unintentionally.

I'm glad it's not me. I can understand the flag being called at the time, but a fine with some hindsight on the play doesn't make any sense at all.

I saw that the initial list of nominees for the 2012 Hall of Fame class has been released:
Quarterbacks
DREW BLEDSOE, Phil Simms

Running Backs
TIKI BARBER, Jerome Bettis, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, STEPHEN DAVIS, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Curtis Martin, Brian Mitchell (also KR/PR), Gerald Riggs, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

Wide Receivers
Tim Brown (also KR), Cris Carter, Gary Clark, Mark Clayton, Henry Ellard (also PR), KEYSHAWN JOHNSON, Andre Reed, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, ROD SMITH

Tight Ends
Ben Coates, Todd Christensen, Frank Wycheck

Offensive Linemen
Tony Boselli (T), Lomas Brown (T), Jim Covert (T), Dermontti Dawson (C), Joe Fields (C), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Jim Lachey (T), Willie Roaf (T), WILL SHIELDS (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Defensive Linemen
Dave Butz (DE/DT), Chris Doleman (DE/LB), Carl Hairston (DE/DT), Charles Haley (DE/LB), Ed “Too Tall” Jones (DE), Cortez Kennedy (DT), Joe Klecko (DE/DT/NT), Dexter Manley (DE), Charles Mann (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT)

Linebackers
Cornelius Bennett, Kevin Greene (also DE), Ken Harvey, Clay Matthews, Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills

Defensive Backs
Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Kenny Easley (S), Albert Lewis (CB), Donnie Shell (S), TROY VINCENT(CB), Everson Walls (CB), Aeneas Williams (CB/S), Darren Woodson (S)

Kickers/Punters
Gary Anderson (K), Nick Lowery (K), Reggie Roby (P), MIKE VANDERJAGT (K)

Special Teams
Steve Tasker (ST/WR)

Coaches
Bill Arnsparger, Bud Carson, Don Coryell, BILL COWHER, Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Chuck Mather, BILL PARCELLS, Buddy Parker, Dan Reeves, MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

Contributors
K.S. “Bud” Adams, Jr. (Owner), Bobby Beathard (Admin.), Gil Brandt (Admin.), Leo Carlin (Admin.), Jack Kent Cooke (Owner), Otho Davis (Trainer), Ed DeBartolo, Jr. (Owner), Ron Gibbs (Official), Jim Kensil (Admin.), Eddie Kotal (Admin.), Art McNally (Official), Art Modell (Owner), Steve Sabol (NFL Films), Paul Tagliabue (Commissioner), Burl Toler, Sr. (Official), Jim Tunney (Official), Ron Wolf (Admin.), George Young (Admin.)

Italics denotes finalists for the Class of 2011
CAPS denotes first-year eligibles
I'd personally love to see Clay Matthews, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Steve Atwater, and Karl Mecklenburg make it in at some point, though I don't see it happening soon with the guys that are waiting for their turn.

Good start for the Browns this week, though they were stopped short of FG range. I'm glad that the defense is also getting off to a good start. Joe Haden's quickly rising up the ranks of great CBs in the NFL with his play so far this season.

Andre Johnson just went down untouched while making a run after a catch. It didn't look good at all. This is Houston's year finally with the Colts being down, so hopefully it's not as bad as it looked.

Poor game for the linebackers, as they've been unable to cover the tight ends and a bad tackle by Usama Young made it two touchdowns for Tennessee. Luckily they've been able to minimize the mistakes to keep them at 14 points.

What was a manageable deficit is now getting out of hand as coverage on the last drive was blown and Joe Haden gets hurt running across the field to stop the TD. That leads to an easy TD pass for Hasselbeck since Sheldon Brown isn't that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back