Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am behind again, so I am posting the last 2 weekends together.

It's time for the percolator!

$1. I like the package design plus you can usually sell one of these for $10-$15 at a store.

45dae5f2.jpg
effbef23.jpg

Book/cassette sets including Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby (discontinued by Disney) $1 total.

ff7527b5.jpg

Vintage chair / stool $1

I actually already have one of these that I am redoing (yellow cushion /same pattern), so now I will have a set of 2. They will look nice when they are finished. I wish I could find the same pattern that is on the chairs, but I digress.

de49b1ac.jpg

Star Wars Droids VHS and Handheld Electronic Soccer game $1 total.

I already have the soccer game with the manual, but I think this one is in better shape.

44e77563.jpg

He-man guy , Child's toy Iron (Wolverine brand - vintage), and 1960s book from Rome $1 total.

47012e2c.jpg

Paid $1 for total this stuff. Monoploly for the metal game pieces, the CDs for resale, and the Interplay 10 year anthology seemed interesting. I was hoping that was the NASCAR game that is worth money, but I was wrong.

d45f6af9.jpg
8acfbe1d.jpg

Nothing of amazing high dollar value, but I feel in the interest of full disclosure I should show what I bought and why I bought it.

[quote name='schultzed']I'm a Wisconsin guy. Near Milwaukee but not close to you. I'll PM you with my top-secret location :)

Keep plugging away, you'll find some stuff if you're determined.[/QUOTE]

I think there's more competition than you'd expect. Some sharks in these waters too!

[quote name='schultzed']As I went to pay ($1 each for SSB and AC) I spot a little pile of games . . . "what about those?" "A woman's coming back for them." But one of the seller's thinks this is BS. "Would you sell me this one for a buck?" (Sonic--the only good game) . . . a little hesitation but then "sure." Probably my second biggest dick move at a rummage sale in the past year.[/QUOTE]
If she had already paid for the items it's a dick move.
If not: too bad, so sad.

[quote name='aptanor']Pre-2000 models can play burned games without any modification whatsoever, so I'd hold on to that one if you want to play stuff you don't think you'll find any time soon. 2000 models added a lockout.

Also geez 50 bucks for a 360 and a kinect D:[/QUOTE]

Anyone else ever think that Microsoft convinced Sega to include WindowsCE because they knew the system would be hacked so bad it would run them into the ground, paving the way for the Xbox ?

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']be sure to check if one is the NES-001, the first DS they made. could be worth $13,000 plus guys.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha :applause:

[quote name='Obiwan456']$150 credit from Game Stop[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what was the breakdown (roughly) from GS? I never go in there but this is interesting.

I'm guessing they still buy PS2 games . . . but not anything earlier.

What did they give you for the PS2/GC games? . . . how much for the DS games?

Um, just a sec, let me go find my post from another thread where I did that. Okay, got it. These are base prices, but I got $20 from the 3/10, then the rest had the 25% with Rage pre-order and then the standard PUR 10% on everything.

Also, they buy PS2 and GameCube, but not Xbox. And I needed cash so I just pulled out the disk only ones and the few that were worth a bit at GS and then took the rest to a local store to get cash.

:ps2:

PS2 System Fat - 20
PS2 Dualshock Sony - 3.25
Grand Thet Auto:San Andreas - 8
Kingdom Hearts - 8
Red Dead Revolver - 5
Firefighter F.D. 18 - 2.50
Midnight Club Street Racing - .80
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - .50
SOCOM 2 - .20
Gran Turismo 3 - .20

I had a black label GTA SA I was trying to trade in along with the GH one, but the guy old me he couldn't take it because it was AO version. Anyone else have problems trading this in?

:ds:

Mario Kart - 17
New Super Mario Bros. - 15
Animal Crossing:Wild World - 10
Harvest Mood DS Cute - 7
Nintendogs Dalmation - 7
Pokemon Ranger - 4
Robots - 2.50
Spectrobes - .50

:360:

360 Controller Wired Other - 5

:psp:

PSP Carry Case Hard - 1.50

Total after bonuses was 152.60

[quote name='Obiwan456']These are base prices[/QUOTE]

I hate GS and avoid even going in but you did pretty well.

So the PS2 stuff you sold to GS was not pictured--esp. the PS2 system. Even before bonus, they gave you good value on the DS games. They are such dopes to give equal value to games lacking cases and instructions and they are assholes for selling disc only games at the same price as complete ones.

Post 1

TMNT April O Neil on card and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (70s) $3 total.

5aae0fd9.jpg

Bionicle comics, MOTU War Whale SEALED , and House of Miniatures items (NEW) $5 total

6babed53.jpg
e91b724f.jpg

Less common Board Games $9 total (2 spoiler tags)

5341c51f.jpg
006aa415.jpg
033adc47.jpg

6b46c8d7.jpg
14d4a8f2.jpg

Hey! I remember playing Shark Attack and Don't Get Rattled. Those were like my two favorites growing up.

@schultzed Actually the games were pictured, they were just jumbled in with everything else, but the system was not, no.

And I love the value of Mario games. You know for all those DS games I only spent $11 total at a few sales? And because of what I do, I love that they give the same value, and I know how to work it so much that it is now rare for me to ever get disk only.

And that's the thing, sometimes GS base prices do suck, but if you know how to work their system like I have, you can do pretty well.

[quote name='allyourblood']This is CAG. It's what we do here.[/QUOTE]

LOL

And I used to work it well at EBGames . . . anyone remember the morning updates? They would refresh their online inventory at 4AM PST and suddenly cool old-school titles would pop up with free shipping via code. (like SNES, N64, and PS1 titles) They would also have cool online clearances where you could pick up a pretty good game for $5 or $10.

I'd get credit instore (by dumping new clearance games) that was at least 50% of my cost. So, $10 out would be $20 in credit.

But I have a long and deep hatred of Funcoland, I mean Gameslop. I don't think I will deal with them even if I can come out ahead.

lol, I know. And that's just it, people know how to get a bit from Game Stop, yet it seems like everyone still complains about them. I guess if I was able to use online stuff like Amazon GS might seem like a bit more of a rip-off, but still...

[quote name='schultzed']
But I have a long and deep hatred of Funcoland, I mean Gameslop. I don't think I will deal with them even if I can come out ahead.[/QUOTE]

This. I just could not imagine my hard work yard sailing going to benefit the Dark Side. In almost every instance, I will do better selling my finds online or even just clearing them out at my own neighborhood yard sale (games that gamestop gives you 20 cents for, you can still get get $2 or $3 for at a yard sale). Not going to list all the reasons they fail, but suffice it to say that GameStop is not a very popular outlet for long-time yard sailers.

I will admit, once I'm old enough to set up to sell online myself (if I'm still garage sailing then) I will probably find myself getting more. But for being 16, unable to sell online, I feel like I'm doing pretty well for myself.

You all know where I stand on Gamestop. ;)

Although I do give them some business when I buy new CEs that are clearanced out (Like Fallout NV). There is a thin line between principle and stupidity. I'm sure that last line was a butchered famous quote, but for now I would like to believe I came up with it (and that it makes sense). :mrgreen:

[quote name='slowdive21']Ok, I am behind again, so I am posting the last 2 weekends together.

Paid $1 for total this stuff. Monoploly for the metal game pieces, the CDs for resale, and the Interplay 10 year anthology seemed interesting. I was hoping that was the NASCAR game that is worth money, but I was wrong.

d45f6af9.jpg

Nothing of amazing high dollar value, but I feel in the interest of full disclosure I should show what I bought and why I bought it.[/QUOTE]

What year is it.....61?....I can't remember.... Check instructions and the board.

Okay, your opinions. If I tried to sell an original 360 with no hard drive and one control, how much could I get on here?

Or how about a Wii with two controllers, two nunchucks, two wheels, one first one third party, a zapper and a nyko perfect shot. One of the Wiimotes has a few scratches.

Post in the trading forum and see if you get offers. Most people wouldnd't buy from you unless you offer to ship first though (due to zero feedback.) Also, at this comment: "(if I'm still garage sailing then)" once you start going to garage sales, you can't stop. It's like a bug. :p

Yeah, but right now I'm going with my dad. Once I'm on my own with a job and having to pay for gas, I wonder if I will. And the point is if I post on the trading forum, then I'd feel like I'm trying to sell on here, which I just want to get an idea of how much someone would pay on here. I don't know. I know I can get $160 for both at GS once they do another extra $25 thing.

And wait...ship first? The only way I'd ever do that is if the buyer is some long time member who everyone trusts.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Yeah, but right now I'm going with my dad. Once I'm on my own with a job and having to pay for gas, I wonder if I will. And the point is if I post on the trading forum, then I'd feel like I'm trying to sell on here, which I just want to get an idea of how much someone would pay on here. I don't know. I know I can get $160 for both at GS once they do another extra $25 thing.

And wait...ship first? The only way I'd ever do that is if the buyer is some long time member who everyone trusts.[/QUOTE]

You're not gonna get $160 for an Xbox 360 with no hard drive and one controller anywhere.

And shipping first is actually a part of CAGs trading rules. You have zero feedback so people have no way of telling whether or not you're a scammer. It may seem like a low blow to you, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

[quote name='Obiwan456']And wait...ship first? The only way I'd ever do that is if the buyer is some long time member who everyone trusts.[/QUOTE]

And wait...pay first? The only way I'd ever do that is if the seller is some long time member with at least some positive feedback from trades.

I mean 160 for the xbox and the wii at GS

I guess I'm too used too eBay (my parents sold on there for years), and ship first just sounds so, risky. I mean, I understand I have no rep and if it's part of the rules I guess it's just...I can't exactly afford to be scammed when I don't have a job yet (and not from lack of trying) and I know take both systems into GS I'm guaranteed a certain amount, which will cover my pre-orders.

And this is why I never tried dipping my toes into trading before.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I mean 160 for the xbox and the wii at GS

I guess I'm too used too eBay (my parents sold on there for years), and ship first just sounds so, risky. I mean, I understand I have no rep and if it's part of the rules I guess it's just...I can't exactly afford to be scammed when I don't have a job yet (and not from lack of trying) and I know take both systems into GS I'm guaranteed a certain amount, which will cover my pre-orders.

And this is why I never tried dipping my toes into trading before.[/QUOTE]

That's why there's a feedback system. Obviously, if you're selling to someone with lower feedback, then you have every right to be cautious. However, if you're selling to someone with say 50+ trades, then I'd say you shouldn't worry at all. Especially if they have 100% feedback.

People are just like you. They don't wanna be scammed.

FYI, you'd only get about $95 for your Wii and 360 at Gamestop. Unless you have a bunch of accessories and/or games you didn't mention.

Actually, ship first only really applies to trades. When you purchase, it's usually pay first. BUT with that said, you probably will have a hard time finding a buyer with no feedback.

[quote name='Tsel']However, if you're selling to someone with say 50+ trades, then I'd say you shouldn't worry at all. Especially if they have 100% feedback.[/QUOTE]

Unless you're someone with user name that includes those dots in the night sky, and those things you wear to cover your face.

Well here's the breakdown. Xbox 360 - 60, Wii - 35, extra Wiimote - 5, extra nunchuck - 5, 2 wheels - 1, 2 zappers - 4 + what I've been waiting for, the inevitable extra $25 bonus they do so often.

I guess, you know, if my first trades were with established members I would feel better about shipping first, but it still makes my stomach tie up in knots thinking about it.

And @elessar...uh, what?

[quote name='Obiwan456']Yeah, but right now I'm going with my dad. Once I'm on my own with a job and having to pay for gas, I wonder if I will. And the point is if I post on the trading forum, then I'd feel like I'm trying to sell on here, which I just want to get an idea of how much someone would pay on here. I don't know. I know I can get $160 for both at GS once they do another extra $25 thing.

And wait...ship first? The only way I'd ever do that is if the buyer is some long time member who everyone trusts.[/QUOTE]

There is no reason whatsoever that you would have to ship first, ever, period. Paypal protects buyers, so as long as I send payment, and you don't send games, I will blow you up on here and get my refund via Paypal. I used to sell extra games and stuff via Ebay, but this community here is just so much better, and I'd rather my games go to gamers and not resellers. But, if you are wondering how much someone would pay, I would say check the name of the site, it won't bold that well for you.

[quote name='elessar123']Unless you're someone with user name that includes those dots in the night sky, and those things you wear to cover your face.[/QUOTE]

Ah, a certain mask of the stars, perhaps?

And that completely slipped my mind. I'd have to set up a paypal account too, and 'm pretty sure that's something I can't do until I'm 18.

Okay, well, I guess maybe any trading I do here will be actual trading, like trading codes or something.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Gamestop trade-in breakdown[/QUOTE]

You did okay here, though if it were me I would've held back the Firefighter F.D. 18 (especially if complete) for online sale. Got to watch for those PS2 and Gamecube rarities since GS doesn't give the best value on those.

[quote name='Obiwan456']And that completely slipped my mind. I'd have to set up a paypal account too, and 'm pretty sure that's something I can't do until I'm 18.

Okay, well, I guess maybe any trading I do here will be actual trading, like trading codes or something.[/QUOTE]

When first starting out on CAG I built up my feedback with small purchases; though if you can't get paypal I'd say stick to trades of lesser value. Another possibility might be trading a game for a giftcard; you can even trade games in exchange for somebody else buying stuff from Amazon or Gamestop and having it shipped to you. It's tricky, but do-able.

That occurred to me. It would be do-able, I guess, especially trading a game for a giftcard. Are there many people that would do that though? And I still doubt I would get more on here for the sytems than I would at GS. Like someone said, it is Cheap A Gamer.

And the firefighter one, It was disk only, and I had no idea.

You might be better off trading the systems in if the value isn't too far below what you'd clear after all the online costs involved. As in Amazon price - 15% - $10 in shipping or more if the system is heavy. Plus there's the effort in finding a buyer and the chance of getting ripped off. Generally Gamestop isn't going to come back at you and complain about condition issues...for instance if the xbox bricks up in three months you'd rather sell locally to a store that can refurbish rather than to an individual online buyer who's going to want your hide :D

That's what I figure too. But, I have a few games I might trade here, maybe, like my boxed Paper Mario (with a stupid garage sale stick I'm too scared to try to take off, darn you masking tape on cheap cardboard), or FF7 black label.

[quote name='Obiwan456']That's what I figure too. But, I have a few games I might trade here, maybe, like my boxed Paper Mario (with a stupid garage sale stick I'm too scared to try to take off, darn you masking tape on cheap cardboard), or FF7 black label.[/QUOTE]

Try some Goo-Gone on the sticker. Wet/soak the sticker in Goo Gone, and then start peeling it off very gently with your fingernail. This will help it do the least amount of damage to the box.

To be honest, I don't think games like FF7 or FF8 have too great of a value anymore. The market's saturated with them nowadays and you can get a complete copy for about $5. The only value would be if it's black label AND sealed.

I'd take that boxed Paper Mario off your hands for the right price :p
FF7 is still worth a good bit, by the way.
Also, you *technically* have to be 18 to have a Paypal account, but nobody will ever actually check. I've had one since I was ~16, and just didn't attach a bank account to it, so they were none the wiser. I just used the money that was in there. This also helped me control my spending and the amount of stuff I accumulated a bit, as I had to say "Ok, I need X amount of money for this, so I need to sell this this and that before I can buy it."

No but seriously CML for Paper Mario.

Value on those final fantasies is purely about demand at this point. There is a demand for these titles and prices stay high because of that. Many PS1 titles that are much, much more rare sell for much less than FF7/8.

They're available on PSN too if people just want to play those games.

They sold ~4 million each in their time

They were re-printed many times over.

How do you use paypal without a bank account? I mean, wouldn't tit hen be impossible to get the money out of paypal if I needed it for something else?

Hey, are money orders an option for payment on here?

[quote name='Obiwan456']How do you use paypal without a bank account? I mean, wouldn't tit hen be impossible to get the money out of paypal if I needed it for something else?

Hey, are money orders an option for payment on here?[/QUOTE]

I believe you can have Paypal send you a check, but it takes a week or two.

Finally went out on the weekend after a few month hiatus. Haitians are out in masses. It's way too hot here. Found some jag games cheap will post a pic soon.

Any of you buy gold and silver at sales?

[quote name='Obiwan456']How do you use paypal without a bank account? I mean, wouldn't tit hen be impossible to get the money out of paypal if I needed it for something else?

Hey, are money orders an option for payment on here?[/QUOTE]

No use a credit card. None of this"but I'm not old enough". Use a temp card you could get at walgreens.

Just make a paypal account and don't add it to a bank account. It will be unconfirmed and you will only be able to use funds that people send to the account from eBay selling or from here for example. Like others said above. No check or cc needed. I had one too when I was >18.

I guess that would work. From what I can tell, I wouldn't be able to get the money out to put in savings (unless my parents finally open one up again and I can send it to them to have them put in a bank account), but If I get that job at the local game store when they're hiring again, that'll cover that, and I guess paypal could be used to take advantage of amazon deals, and oooooh, I just realized I set that up I can finally buy Dave Days' physical CD.

[quote name='aptanor']
Also, you *technically* have to be 18 to have a Paypal account, but nobody will ever actually check. [/QUOTE]

You also aren't supposed to be able to sell on eBay unless you're 18, but I started selling on there when I was 12 in '99. They never check age.

I had a poor media-buying Thurs. overall but actually picked up a few videogame items . . . nothing major.

I almost crapped myself when I saw these in a box . . .

Until I realized that there were no carts or systems. I quizzed but alas no games :whistle2:( The woman wanted .10 per box and I was just going to get the Pokemon ones but then just offered $1 for all. Crystal Version is messed up but otherwise they are all minty and each one contains the instructions . . .

This was marked $10 . . . supposed to be "brand new"

And while it was never used, it was removed from the package and is missing packing material. Anyway, it is complete and I got it for $5.

The other pickups . . . from 4 different sales:

The SNES games were in a .10 bin . . . so I flipped them a quarter for the pair.
The GB Colors look rough and are missing battery covers but do work . . . $3 for the pair.
RE Veronica is mint complete and was $2.
The sale with the GBA boxes also had Battlefield and Left 4 Dead marked $20 and $10 but I got them for $10 and $5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back