Official Best Buy YMMV Thread. Post all BB YMMV Clearances here.

bg2001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Post All Best Buy YMMV Deals Here.

[quote name='SDC']I work in a Best Buy, perhaps I can help.

Clearances at Best Buy are on a store-by-store basis. What doesn't sell in that particular store may eventually be put on clearance, but it is pretty YMMV. It isn't at all a chain-wide thing like Target.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
Through my friend who is the night manager for the Customer Service department at Best Buy:
The policy we're looking at refers to if you want to price match something BEST BUY offers with a free gift card. Example, on Product X Best Buy charges MSRP of $39.99 but offers a free $5 gift card. Store Y offers Product X for $10 off MSRP, $29.99, but no gift card.

To decide if the item is eligible for a price match you ADD the amount of Best Buy's gift card ($5) to Store Y's sale price ($29.99) for a combined total of $34.99. This is less than the price you would pay at Best Buy for the item and gift card ($39.99) so it is eligible for a price match. You would get $10 off to match Store Y's $29.99, but no $5 gift card.

He did say it is likely you can get someone who doesn't understand English/Best Buy's Policies and get the Price Match, but that it is not what Best Buy intended with the policy. For background info he's been with the company around 4 years now, and a manager for 3 of them.

It blows my mind that someone would have the gonads to price match a gift card.
i think we are stretching what "price matching" really means.
I wish I was at the CS desk when someone tried that.

[quote name='dg7md']From the sounds of it, it would appear that BB would also need to be including an instant gift card for a purchase, which in this case is not being offered.[/quote]

Ah, after reading it again, I think you are right that it's only intended for cases where both BB and the other vendor are already offering an item plus gift card type sale to beign with.

I'm just hoping that they do what they did when Super Mario Galaxy came out... TRU was doing the same thing where they gave out a $20 (or was it $25) gift card, and BB sent an email out to all their stores saying to honor the price match and give a $20 BB GC w/ purchase.

In the past I've seen Best Buy match these sort of deals by offering an equivalent gift card, but I've never seen them deduct the actual gift card amount from the price.

[quote name='knightbeauchamp']get over it.. i didn't see this until now. there is nothing wrong with repeated info as long as the info is GOOD and not some crappy thing. That's why so many people are talking in this thread jeesh...[/quote]

But it's not even Best Buys deal. It's TRU deal and people are just trying to price match it. I agree if BB always took the card amount off the final purchase but IDK. I agree that this doesn't need to be here but what ever.

OP, you are an idiot. My BB twice in the past charges me $60 for the game and then gives me a $20 gift card specifically price matching TRU ads. I have asked for the price adjusted to $40, but both times have been shot down. This is not on sale at BB for $40. Thread title is misleading and needs to be changed.

I went a threw down a pre-order at my Best Buy tonight hoping that will help with the price match on Friday. I live a block away from BBY so I didn't exactly go out of my way. Hopefully they will since they did with Killzone 2 for me.

If you guys need, i can confirm deals to specific BB or nationwide. It would take me at the very least 1 day to confirm it but I can check the system.

yeah nice score, at my BB (Gurnee, IL) they have the Rock Band SE (PS2) at $74.99. Still good for people who only want to replace some of their PS3/PS2 instruments without shelling out the cash on the newer (and better) Rock Band 2 peripherals

[quote name='mitch079']Nice idea but someone needs to maintain a post with all the deals listed like the clearance threads, otherwise, it would just be a mess.[/quote]

[quote name='dave07']I agree completely. If OP can update the first post every so often it would work out great.[/quote]

BB and WM clearances are extremely YMMV so keeping a list wouldn't work. The Target, Sears, K-Mart and the now defunct CC clearance threads have a list because all clearance is nation-wide. In Target's case, it is only YMMV in the time that it takes for the price to drop (which also applies to Sears and K-Mart).

That's why keeping a BB or WM clearance thread going is hard. People are afraid that their deals will never be seen so they make a new thread instead of posting in the appropriate one.

This will likely be YMMV as some BB managers will do this on their own responsibility to generate sales. BB did match the $25 GC promotion with Super Mario Galaxy when it launched back in 2007, and they had an official memo and SKU # to go with it for the stores.

For this, as it's only for two days, I can't see them managing to do this in a company-wide price match, though it might work out as a YMMV deal on a case-by-case basis. They might give you the game for $40, they might give you the game + $20 GC for $60, or they might do nothing. It's worth a try, if you have the time to spend on it, though I wouldn't imagine you should expect success with it. You certainly shouldn't make a stink over it if it doesn't work. Since the game + GC at TRU is the same price as the game at BB, this is where BB sometimes has some YMMV interpretations of the policy.

[quote name='gordojones88']OP, you are an idiot. My BB twice in the past charges me $60 for the game and then gives me a $20 gift card specifically price matching TRU ads. I have asked for the price adjusted to $40, but both times have been shot down. This is not on sale at BB for $40. Thread title is misleading and needs to be changed.[/quote]

Maybe he changed the title or something, but why are you flaming the OP when he's actually posting a good deal? Quit being an asshole. He linked us to the page that shows BB SHOULD (according to their policy) deduct the amount of the gift card off the sale price. That's much more than most other people would do. I'll definitely be trying this at two different BB's this friday. I just have to find myself a TRU Ad. I know there's one around my house somewhere.

You'll either get a $20 bestbuy gift card or you'll get the game for $40. It all depends on how the cashier interprets it. I have seen it happen in both cases on multiple occasions. For people flaming the OP, this exactly same situation applied when I got Mario Galaxy at launch from BB. Their was even a thread made about it for Mario Galaxy back in 07 if you want to go find it.

This isn't really that YMMV, if the cashier doesn't understand it, they just call over the manager and they make it happen.

I tried this out...my Best Buy refused to give me the money off, but said I could get the gift card. I suppose a 20 dollar gift card is better at Best Buy then Toys R Us, right? What's YMMV mean? I've been trying to figure it out all day. lol

[quote name='Rascal_Sensei']I tried this out...my Best Buy refused to give me the money off, but said I could get the gift card. I suppose a 20 dollar gift card is better at Best Buy then Toys R Us, right? What's YMMV mean? I've been trying to figure it out all day. lol[/quote]It puzzles me how these managers can refuse to follow their own storewide policies? I'm semi-prepared to take a print-out of their price match policy. If they don't want to honor the policy, they need to change it. If they want us to be loyal customers, why shouldn't we hold them accountable to their own policies?
I certainly wouldn't cause a scene but why would it be inappropiate to slightly push the issue?

Thanks OP for the post. I have gone to BB and tried to pricematch a movie and they shot me down. According to this policy, I should have got it. I saw them squirm and slither about the policy last time and took them at their word. If you don't want to do it, then DON'T put it in YOUR POLICY. Thats bait and switch: "Come on down, we'll match it all, even gift card. Oh you came? Sorry, we don't do that. What pray tell would give you THAT idea??" So, I will go armed with this policy.

It's only their policy to match a promotion like this if they are also offering a gift card with a purchase, or if RE5 is at a lower actual price. Say if BB offered a 5 dollar GC with a purchase, they would adjust it to 20 as per the ad. They aren't advertising a bonus GC with purchase so they aren't going to match since it isn't a direct sale on the game itself, rather an incentive to get you to purchase at TRU.

That being said it's worth a shot if you're feeling like dealing with long explanations and looking like a smartass to a manager, since a BB GC is clearly much better than a TRU one. Nobody should expect this to work and it isn't in their policy to match this promotion as they aren't also offering a GC for the game and both stores are having the game at the same price. You could easily manage to get lucky or get a nice manager to adjust this but nothing is granted under their policy for this situation.

So I just got back from the Canoga Park, CA BB and they have 2 clearance bins, one is $10 and up, and the other is $15 and up. Most of the games are shovelware, but I managed to pick up Shadow of the Colossus for $15. So yeah, YMMV.

[quote name='disillusion386']So I just got back from the Canoga Park, CA BB and they have 2 clearance bins, one is $10 and up, and the other is $15 and up. Most of the games are shovelware, but I managed to pick up Shadow of the Colossus for $15. So yeah, YMMV.[/QUOTE]

These aren't YMMV or clearance. Just about every store now has $9.99 and $14.99 front aisle games that are being put in bins for some reason. I went to four different SoCal Best Buys this weekend and every single one had these bins and basically the same titles.

[quote name='dg7md']It's only their policy to match a promotion like this if they are also offering a gift card with a purchase, or if RE5 is at a lower actual price. Say if BB offered a 5 dollar GC with a purchase, they would adjust it to 20 as per the ad. They aren't advertising a bonus GC with purchase so they aren't going to match since it isn't a direct sale on the game itself, rather an incentive to get you to purchase at TRU.

That being said it's worth a shot if you're feeling like dealing with long explanations and looking like a smartass to a manager, since a BB GC is clearly much better than a TRU one. Nobody should expect this to work and it isn't in their policy to match this promotion as they aren't also offering a GC for the game and both stores are having the game at the same price. You could easily manage to get lucky or get a nice manager to adjust this but nothing is granted under their policy for this situation.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I really wish people would actually read the policy they are trying to argue about rather than just taking the OP's word for it that they are entitled to the game at $40. This policy really doesn't help the consumer, it simply protects Best Buy if they are selling a game for MSRP but including a gift card and another retailer is selling the game for less than MSRP but not including a gift card. The policy allows Best Buy to say, "unless the other retailer is selling for less than $40, we won't match it since with our gift card, you are essentially getting the game for $40 already". In cases where another retailer is giving a gift card and Best Buy is not, they are not required to price match since their price is already the same. Whether or not they choose to give you a matching gift card is entirely at their discretion and is not part of the policy the OP is citing.

Price match is to match the price, not to match the deal. If TRU does its Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal again, you can't price match that. You're not saving $20 when you buy RE5 at TRU - you're still spending $60. You're just getting a complimentary gift card. You still have to put down the cash for the game.

The KOP, PA Best Buy had a small $9.99 clearance game section.

I ended up getting:

Bleach: Dark Souls (DS) - $9.99 (one left)
GRID (DS) - $9.99 (one left)

I passed on:

TNA Impact (Wii) - $9.99
Spiderwick Chronicles (360) - $9.99
Singstar ABBA (PS2) - $9.99
Rock Blast (DS) - $9.99

There were a bunch of other titles I passed on as well (mostly DS shovelware).

[quote name='Josef']The KOP, PA Best Buy had a small $9.99 clearance game section.[/quote]

Is it still just the one inner end cap?

Downingtown, PA has nothing.

Have you checked the one on Kirkwood Highway in DE lately?

[quote name='V Gundam']Is it still just the one inner end cap?

Downingtown, PA has nothing.

Have you checked the one on Kirkwood Highway in DE lately?[/QUOTE]

Yep, just the one inner end cap.

Kirkwood had nothing as of last week.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but at the Best Buy in Knoxville, TN, they are apparently having some trouble moving Collector's Edition boxed sets. I picked up a PS3 Soul Calibur IV Collector's Edition for just ten bucks (No 360 ones, though. :cry:) They had 360 and PS3 GTA IV Collector's Edition sets for around $40 and a 360 Fallout 3 Collector's Edition for around $40. I saw some Call of Duty: Modern Warfares there, too, but didn't check the price.

I've seen it, just not at the $10 mark. It hits $25-$30 first, then takes another plunge or two to get there.

Why don't you buy a bunch of them and sell the here for say... 20 shipped? I would certainly take one at that price B-).

[quote name='jughead']Why don't you buy a bunch of them and sell the here for say... 20 shipped? I would certainly take one at that price B-).[/QUOTE]

I would certainly buy one for $20

I saw plenty of copies today when I went to BB, but didn't bother check the price though. The game is pretty lame I must say.

bread's done
Back