Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 360 just died for the 1st time. Got the 3 red lights. Luckily I checked the back and it was manufactured Dec 12, 2005, so it looks like MS will replace it for free. Of course the hot line just closed 10 min ago so I have to call them tomorrow.

Does MS still ship coffins?

The lady told me to just ship it to them and when I asked if they were going to ship me a box she said that's not our policy anymore. I'm not under warranty just manufactured in '05.

I had to call MS since its been over a week and I hadn't heard anything to find out that they sent me my refurb on December 12 so hopefully it will be here today in time for the weekend...

dang I am getting pretty scared about all these broken 360's

I recently purchased one off Overstock with a 2 year protection plan but Im not sure where they send it to get fixed and if they will return the same system.

How can I take extra care to prevent red lights from happening?

Mine broke the day GoW came out here in Canada, November 15th, I think. I had a launch 360. I got the free coffin maybe a week later and sent it in the next day. I just got my refurb back this past Monday, a bit more than 3 weeks later, and the DVD tray won't open and the power light blinks green rapidly as if the tray is open. So it's busted. I called back right away and the guy says they can't send me another coffin because my 360 was manufactured in 2006, so I explain that this is the piece of crap they just sent me to replace my launch console. So he puts me on hold and gets back and says they will send me another coffin. I already have the coffin the refurb came back in, but they can't just email me a prepaid label or anything.

By yesterday, no coffin, so I call back to get a tracking number, which I got for the first coffin, and they say the system says they're waiting for me to send it in. What a bunch of fucktards. And I don't think it was a mistake, because I've read a few posts about people being told the same thing and then not getting sent anything. So now, apparently, I should get the coffin in 2 business days. We'll see.

Why do they keep punting these defective units around? Aren't they losing money on all the shipping?

just received a referb console, they also told me they were gonna send me a coffin, after a week with nothing I called and was told I was supposed to ship it to them. It took about four calls before they sent my coffin. Three times I called and they were doing "routine maintaince".

Well, my refurb showed up last night and it seems to work. I need to call and buy a warranty on this one though. I think the fall update effed up my original because when I got the refurb up and running and downloaded all the updates the menu system was radically different than when I sent it in. I did the fall update on my old console and it seemed to be working fine but now I can tell that whatever I thought I downloaded didn't take.

I got my 360 replacement yesterday. Works great, but i havent taken it on Live yet. Im highly cautious of doing the fall update. It screwed up my last 360 with all the freezing, i really dont want to have to bring this one back in after two days.

My refurb (arrived on Friday) has already decided to not recognize any USB devices. It was working fine yesterday. I love my 360 when it is working but I just can't believe what a piece of shit it is. I want to scream.

When one of my 360's died (red and white checker board) I documented everything that happened, took some pictures and sent them in taped to my Xbox with a note expressing my need for a new unit rather then a refurbished one. I got back a new unit in 1 week.

My console came back to me on Friday. So far so good, been playing it for a couple of hours. Had some trouble setting up Live again, but after a half hour it started to connect. Will call tomorrow to extend my warranty.

[quote name='crazyj']About what percentage of 360's go bad? Is it mostly the launch ones?[/QUOTE]MS says 2-3%, but it seems higher. A newer one might have a slightly less chance of going bad, but there have been many reports around forums that even new ones will break down in just a few days.

I got a replacement 360 back yesterday. I had trouble getting the controllers to work with it first, along with getting it to recognize the HDD. After a few tries, I got both working. Well, I'm happy that my replacement is newer (4/1/06), compared to (11/15/05). I'm also glad to get a Samsung DVD drive, instead of that loud Hitachi. The Samsung drive isn't quiet, but sounds better than the Hitachi. So far, the 360 works, but I haven't tested out the USB ports.

I feel like I'm going to be joining the broken 360 group very soon.

My problems started yesterday with Hitman. At any point in the game, the system would make a beep and freeze, or just freeze. I was getting the four red lights for A/V trouble at first, but that wasn't it. Then it started freezing and giving me the three red lights of death. Now all I see is either the game freezing or those fucking red lights. Sometimes I can play for a while, but it's just a matter of time before it stops me in my tracks once again.

It's just out of warranty too, so I'm fucked. Survived about four months or so. Microsoft is shit.

How can I get everything off of my hardrive and how can I erase the info on the harddrive before I take it back to the store?

[quote name='ryosnk']How can I get everything off of my hardrive and how can I erase the info on the harddrive before I take it back to the store?[/quote]
If you're doing a warranty exchange with a place like GameCrazy or EB, they'll let you open the new system and switch out the hard drives.

To format it, you should be able to go to options (on the far right blade), find hard drive and hit format.

[quote name='Scorch']If you're doing a warranty exchange with a place like GameCrazy or EB, they'll let you open the new system and switch out the hard drives.

To format it, you should be able to go to options (on the far right blade), find hard drive and hit format.[/QUOTE]

I got the warranty at best buy and they wont let me switch it because he said that the hard drive must match the model number. So by doing the format it will erase all the data (saves, xbox live info, personal info) on the hard drive?

Thanks.

I am on my 3rd, I would guess 30% are defects but this is just a guess. All of my friends have broken at least once, and alot of them arent even launch units like mine was, really wierd. I should probably keep it better ventilated but its a console so I never really thought about it until my new entertainment system that it barley fits in.

My second console has just died. I had a launch console that died back in June and my replacement just died. It seems like I can't get one that last longer then 6-7 months.

Hi, i was able to exchange my hard drive when I got the new system from best buy. But do I need to do a new xbox live account (I only had silver) or would it be on the system?

Also, is the microsoft warranty better then the ones in b&m stores, like would it cover for two years even though you send it to them to fix it and do you have to pay for shipping to them?

Thanks.

Update to my situation.

Turns out it still works, I guess.. although it takes a lot of messing with. After it's been off for a while and I start it up with any game, said game will freeze atleast 4 or 5 times in a row (or screen goes black/green/some other weird color pattern). Once I've restarted several times (quite a headache) it'll work without flaw for as long as I'm willing to play; I can switch games and they'll still work too. It seems that now it only freezes during the first minutes it's in play.. red lights haven't appeared again either.

So it's more or less, broken but playable.. or something. Atleast it might have a couple more weeks left in it, so I can enjoy it over the winter break and until I'm actually able to send it in for repair.

Dang, I just bought a 360 and haven't even had a chance to hook it up yet (I'll get to it tomorrow night. Can't wait), but all these reports are making me worried. Let's look at the facts:

-They only come with a 90 day warranty
-It's a whopping $30 a year after that
-It seems like it's a HUGE percentage of 360s have broken down.
-Even with a warranty you still have to pay for shipping (is this confirmed or YMMV)?
-It seems to take them several weeks to replace your broken 360
-They've been to blame for the bricking of many 360s due to the fall update (and reportedly faulty GoW copies) and they won't even clean up their own mess and replace what they've broken.
-Evidently, their customer service is terrible.

Is there any bright side to all this? Has anyone had really good experiences with Microsoft, and perhaps we only hear about it when they screw up? Because as is I'm feeling a bit of anxiety about my purchase and worried that I didn't make the right choice.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Dang, I just bought a 360 and haven't even had a chance to hook it up yet (I'll get to it tomorrow night. Can't wait), but all these reports are making me worried. Let's look at the facts:

-They only come with a 90 day warranty
-It's a whopping $30 a year after that
-It seems like it's a HUGE percentage of 360s have broken down.
-Even with a warranty you still have to pay for shipping (is this confirmed or YMMV)?
-It seems to take them several weeks to replace your broken 360
-They've been to blame for the bricking of many 360s due to the fall update (and reportedly faulty GoW copies) and they won't even clean up their own mess and replace what they've broken.
-Evidently, their customer service is terrible.

Is there any bright side to all this? Has anyone had really good experiences with Microsoft, and perhaps we only hear about it when they screw up? Because as is I'm feeling a bit of anxiety about my purchase and worried that I didn't make the right choice.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had any first hand experience with Microsoft besides begging them to repair my last-gen Xbox for free, but the customer service isn't too bad. Just be sure you have the warranty and you'll be fine.

It's always been a one week turn around for me from the time the coffin is at my door to when I get another console back. I was actually quite pleased with customer service. What would be even better was if they did a service in line with Apple wherein they take your credit card info, send you a replacement product first and have you send back the faulty product. That'd be nice.

Dead Rising is the only game that I get frequent (When I say frequent I mean it) Disc Read Errors. ther than that Oblivion, GoW, Saints Row, and Splinter Cell Double Agent have had 2-3 or less.

I'm worried my 360 might die someday, and I'm also mad I can't play Dead Rising.

I got a question for the people whos Xbox 360 has broke.

How long/much did you play it?

Kinda if you played it for 12 hours straight, its your fault if it broke.

Well, I'm officially saying my August 360 is as dead as a nail.

Played NFS Carbon last night with no problems, started it up today to play Vegas with a friend and it would do nothing but freeze or go black after a few minutes in. Tried three other games, same thing.. the red lights came along to play as well; no getting around it this time, period. Called it in and they say they're sending me a prepaid box. It's a sad day..

I have a few questions to anyone who has gotten service before. How quick is the turn-around time? If I get the box this week and send it off, should I have it back the week after? Do they typically try to repair YOUR console first or do they just immediately send you back a refurbished unit?

I've also heard that if you get a different system, Marketplace content like games, etc won't work on the new system. How do you recover stuff like that?

Thanks.

Mine had been working flawlessly for a year. I went on Live to DL the free update for Oblivion and DL-ed the 360 update as well.

Since then it's frozen and given me the red lights twice. The first time it happened I called customer support and after a couple re-boots it started woring again. It gave me the red lights again this morning and I've been unable to get it working at all. It's looking dead now. Luckily when I called they told me I was still under warranty (I'm thinking MS extened them all to one year because of issues like this).

Urgh, bad timing. I'm off of work most of the next two weeks and was looking forward to some game time. Hopefully I can send it back and get it fixed ASAP.

[quote name='AlienLX']Well, I'm officially saying my August 360 is as dead as a nail.

Played NFS Carbon last night with no problems, started it up today to play Vegas with a friend and it would do nothing but freeze or go black after a few minutes in. Tried three other games, same thing.. the red lights came along to play as well; no getting around it this time, period. Called it in and they say they're sending me a prepaid box. It's a sad day..

I have a few questions to anyone who has gotten service before. How quick is the turn-around time? If I get the box this week and send it off, should I have it back the week after? Do they typically try to repair YOUR console first or do they just immediately send you back a refurbished unit?

I've also heard that if you get a different system, Marketplace content like games, etc won't work on the new system. How do you recover stuff like that?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I think Marketplace content is tied to your account and you can re-download it all again.

Here's my predicament. My system decided to get the 3 red lights about 3 weeks ago. Since my warranty was expired I decided to try and fix things myself from all the information on various forums. As it turns out, none of the fixes worked. I then read an article that says that the 360 warranties have been extended to a year, after my system has already been taken apart. I did call MS today and they will be sending me a box to send my system in since it is now under warranty. When they recieve my system they will see that the seal has been broken but does anyone know what they will do at that point? Will they refuse to fix it and send it back? If they would have extended the warranty about 3 weeks ago, this would not be a problem.

I'm getting quite a few disc read errors lately. Both on THP8 and Viva Pinata. I think my system may be dying. Should I call MS now or just wait until it dies completely?

If it's happening with multiple games you should definitely call soon.

I think chances are high it'll only get worse over time, so best to go ahead and get it taken care of.

[quote name='AlienLX']If it's happening with multiple games you should definitely call soon.

I think chances are high it'll only get worse over time, so best to go ahead and get it taken care of.[/quote]

I haven't gotten any red lights yet though. Are those normal with freeze ups like this?

How long does it typically take for the pre-paid box to arrive? The CSR on the phone said they were going to overnight it but due to the holiday, it may get delayed by a day (I called in Friday evening, so I figured it would be Wednesday/Thursday).

But some have said it was three day shipping. I've tried emailing Microsoft's CSR but no word.

My 360 froze a couple of times while I was playing Gears of War. I didn't think anything of it at the time since there weren't any error codes and restarting it worked fixed it. I got the E74 error a couple of times, but messing with the video cables fixed it every time. Today while I was playing Geometry Wars it froze about 4 times.

I got it as a Christmas gift (actually the week before), so I'm hoping that I can return it to Target and get a replacement. My wife got the Microsoft extended warranty well. If I take my system back to Target and get a replacement will I need to change my extended warranty through MS? I'd really rather just get it replaced instead of sending it in.

For anyone who has gotten a replacement unit back from MS; are these things generally reliable at all? Did the second unit actually survive and not just give you more trouble?

Maybe I've read too many horror stories, but should I even expect to get back one that works normally and doesn't crap out with a few days use? I hate the thought of more fun days waiting for the UPS truck.

What if I get ring of death but I got it to work yesterday for a few hours and now it's busted again. Is it time to send it in? I'm still hoping it'll work - gonna try again in a few hours. Only had it for two months. I feel like crying...

EDIT: Is MS actually repairing the actual one you have back to you or sending you a newly manufactured one? I do not want a refurbed console unless it is the actual one I am sending in. It is important because this console was bought by my girlfriend for me. It's not everyday that someone is willing to drop $400 on a gift for someone else, especially something trivial like video games.

Mine is on its way back.

It was scheduled to arrive yesterday at the center, but the UPS site kept claiming it was "Out for Delivery" during the day. Not uncommon, I know. However, I started to get nervous around 6:30 PM when it was still "Out of Delivery". Then, at 8:43 PM, the status changed to "Delivered." I checked the time and it states it was delivered at 11:12 AM. So I spent two hours wondering if the package was damaged or lost (My track record with UPS is pretty dreadful) when it was delivered much earlier in the day. I guess the driver failed to log it in.

What can brown do for you.

[quote name='2pac']I got a question for the people whos Xbox 360 has broke.

How long/much did you play it?

Kinda if you played it for 12 hours straight, its your fault if it broke.[/quote]

Most of us wanna get our fix if we drop down $400. We buy a console to play it. What do you want us to do - take it to the park? You know what I can't stand? People who buy these nice Fast and Furious wannabe racing cars, buy all these equipment for it, and only drive it on the weekends for about 10 miles.

Add me to the list to bricked 360s

RIP 11-21-05 (they rang it up early) - 01-03-07

Judging from the horror stories I read thusfar, it might be worth picking up another core...then just trading in whatever crap Microsoft decides to send at my local Gamestop. The thing would only need to last about 30 minutes.

Oh yeah...I purchased the one year extended warranty at GS. Of course, they won't take it back (about 5 weeks late). If MS wants to send a defective refurb (and make me wait 6 weeks), it's going right back to the source.

BTW: Has ANYONE gotten a NEW system?

I sent in one unit back in july. which was a launch unit and it played "Halo 2" 24 hours a day from launch till death. I had two other units so it wasnt a big deal but they sent me a brand new unit. You might have problems keeping that same unit.

I just dropped my 360 off with UPS yesterday.. now the wait begins. I'm really hoping the one they send me back isn't a piece of junk. It would be awesome to actually get a new one or atleast a refurb that works exactly how it should. I took great care of mine as well and it would really piss me off to get one in poor condition.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt since this is my first time, but if the one they send me dies quickly, I might just take that other route. Send it back and buy a core, then get rid of the next useless unit they return to me to get some of my money back. Maybe it won't come to that, but I'd rather not go through with all this hellish waiting more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back