Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Does the 5 dollars off work for a new copy of Force Unleashed? :O[/QUOTE]

Yes, 9.99 after 5.00 off.

Picked up Lego Batman, Infinite Undiscovery & Mercs 2 all for $5 each. Thx for the deal OP and all who have contributed. More trade fodder for the GS $20 bonus trade deal! :lol:

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']While driving by HWV today, I noticed a sign on the window that said:

ALL NEW GAMES $19.99 AND UNDER

Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop.

So yeah, I guess my question is, can anyone confirm? is it actually "ALL new games", meaning brand new, 60 dollar ones? ;) or just some? x_O[/QUOTE]

I saw the same signs at my local HWVs too. I stopped by a couple to ask, and although the initial respond was that, yeah, it's valid for all new games, as soon as I try to grab the $60 games (Batman, Ghostbusters), the store associates always tell me, oh, those games are excluded.

How convenient...

[quote name='estofan']I saw the same signs at my local HWVs too. I stopped by a couple to ask, and although the initial respond was that, yeah, it's valid for all new games, as soon as I try to grab the $60 games (Batman, Ghostbusters), the store associates always tell me, oh, those games are excluded.

How convenient...[/QUOTE]

There are better deals for those games than $5 off.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']It's a discount GameZone, they only carry games with an MSRP of $20 or less.[/QUOTE]

ahh, alright. thanks for the info / saving me time guys.

[quote name='shoe478']There are better deals for those games than $5 off.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to get $5 off those, but there are posted signs that said "ALL NEW GAMES $19.99 AND UNDER" and I was hoping against hope that Batman and Ghostbusters are counted...

[quote name='anthfett06']Is anyone else seeing the Lego Batman's and Mercs 2 labeled as $18.99 but ringing up at $9.99?[/QUOTE]

Yep,
Infinite Undiscovery was stickered $19.99, got it for $9.99 and an additional $5.00 off. $5.42 w/ tax out the door.

Just picked up Lego Batman and The Force Unleashed for 15$ total! Lego Batman rang up as 10 dollars (5 bucks after discount), and TFU as 15$ (10 bucks). Thanks a bunch OP.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Does the 5 dollars off work for a new copy of Force Unleashed? :O[/QUOTE]

Yes it does.

[quote name='cereal_killerxx']Are any of the lego games or infinite undiscovery even worth 5 bucks?[/QUOTE]

Well its not Facebreaker or something.... so for $5 you cant go wrong..

As far as the games listed for $5 I recommend the Lego games to people now because they are quirky fun especially if your a fan of the Indy movies.. And Infinite is a decent Game if you put your time in.

Store employee was very helpful and offered to scan any games for me.

Picked up LAIR ($5) and SW: FU ($9.99).

They had a decent selection of new, older 360 games too.

OP, there are two Hollywood Videos in my town they both have game crazys and they have both run every of these deals. I've been to two in the next city over, they both have game crazys and have both run deals in the past. You need to change your claim to say they might be running these deals even if they have a game crazy.

I hate my HWV, they are convinced that the $5 off is only of the pictured games on the flyer. and yes, Lego Batman is well worth $5.

[quote name='Agentredd']OP, there are two Hollywood Videos in my town they both have game crazys and they have both run every of these deals. I've been to two in the next city over, they both have game crazys and have both run deals in the past. You need to change your claim to say they might be running these deals even if they have a game crazy.[/QUOTE]

Will edit the OP. It is extremely YMMV though, because every deal I've ever seen is not done at a GC-HWV combo store.

Today I bought mercenaries 2, Lego batman, and force unleashed on wii for 15 and added a 5 dollar as is good condition copy of prime 3 on wii. Traded the 4 set to gamestop, got enough straight for MUA 2.

I have a rule when it comes to these deals, I'll take one of each in the beginning but if weeks go by and no one else buys anything then I'll double dip...

I already tried the $5 deal at one of my HWV stores and they said it was only if you bought something else or some sort of bullshit that would've made the promo NOT worth it AT ALL. But I AM tempted to try the $20 for 4 games thing, since I would just use it towards the promo @ GS towards something else there.

[quote name='tattoojeep']got MGS4 for 9.99 (14.99) -5.[/QUOTE]

One store I checked had it for 19.99 (24.99 - 5). Guess the prices aren't uniform between stores.

Wow, I was at a store Thurs night that had several $10 games sitting right smack in the middle of the checkout counter. You couldn't miss them (which I did at first when I went to look in the game case ;)). But they had SW: FU in the case and when I went up to ask them to get that I saw the others. They had 2 Infinite Undiscovery, 2 Lair, Samba, and a Lego Indy I think. If they had Lego Batman I'm sure it sold long ago being in such a prominent area.

They had the "save $5 on select titles" display way over on the back section of the games and they seemed confused at first when I asked them about the promo. But then she found the bar code attached to the register and I got the discount no problem (though it had to be separate transactoins for each game since it only seems to work on one at a time). I got the feeling, though, that they were trying to sell these without telling people about the deal.

OP is missing vital information - when does this end? I've asked a couple of HWV clerks and they have no idea.

I went to the HWV in Riverview, FL today and got Lair, Mercs 2, Infinite Undiscovery all for $5 after coup and Star Wars TFU for $10 after coup. They had multiple games all for under $19.99 before coup. The kid working their had to ring up each one individually in order to get the coup to work, it wouldnt work all in one transaction.

He also said that they are converting to a store that will only sell cheaper new games from now on, nothing over $19.99.

[quote name='wrencrest']I

He also said that they are converting to a store that will only sell cheaper new games from now on, nothing over $19.99.[/QUOTE]

Yep, my local HWV did the same thing. They shipped off all games over $19.99 and all their systems and accessories. They are going to be a "Budget Gamezone" from now on. The case looks pathetic now with (mostly) crappy old games and big empty spaces.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']so wait.. all the 19.99 games are buy 4 for 20 bucks?[/QUOTE]

No. It's $5 off new games. Some games are $10 so it comes to $5 per game after discount. If the game is $19.99 then you only get $5 off.

[quote name='J7.']It should end on October 12th.[/QUOTE]

I looked into it, and I can't find anything suggesting that, but I will put it in the OP as a rumor.

too bad its been, what, 3 weeks later. and they basically dont restock anyyything along the lines of the certain games you can get for 5 bucks after the original 9.99 price. i got inf. undiscovery from this deal basically the day this deal started, and they didnt even have lego batman, indiana, or whatever the other was. and since that first day i have yet to see any of those games restocked.

and the usedddd wall...omg, they have like 10 used 360 games. the only "deal" would be 9.99 shadowrun (only cuz thats the same price of gS) and maybe nba 07 or something. but they faillll at 360 games to sum this whole thing up, and thats mainly what i want is 360 games.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I looked into it, and I can't find anything suggesting that, but I will put it in the OP as a rumor.[/QUOTE]
http://www.hollywoodvideo.com/specials/5offer/

[quote name='doooork']too bad its been, what, 3 weeks later. and they basically dont restock anyyything along the lines of the certain games you can get for 5 bucks after the original 9.99 price. i got inf. undiscovery from this deal basically the day this deal started, and they didnt even have lego batman, indiana, or whatever the other was. and since that first day i have yet to see any of those games restocked.

and the usedddd wall...omg, they have like 10 used 360 games. the only "deal" would be 9.99 shadowrun (only cuz thats the same price of gS) and maybe nba 07 or something. but they faillll at 360 games to sum this whole thing up, and thats mainly what i want is 360 games.[/QUOTE]
Those games at the $9.99 pricepoint are not going to be restocked, they're priced that low because they're trying to get rid of them.

My HWV got rid of all of their games. Then they got a shipment in from a mysterious supplier. Looks like it came from many closing Game Crazy stores. They still had the stickers on and everything.

Since I enjoy seeing reactions around here, I tried to buy a game priced at $4.99. I told them to scan the coupon, and it rang up as free. They called in the manager, and he told me that they couldn't sell me a game for nothing. I'm sure they didn't expect anybody to think about it, and now they know. Because knowing is most of the battle.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Haha![/QUOTE]
People get so used to CAG sometimes that it seems like more info would not exist elsewhere. ;)

[quote name='J7.']People get so used to CAG sometimes that it seems like more info would not exist elsewhere. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL, I know. Of course, everyone still makes mistakes...even the old-timers here. Leaving out where an item is from, price, shipping, etc. We are all so noobish sometimes.:roll::bouncy:

[quote name='Interfeci']Because knowing is most of the battle.[/QUOTE]
No bro, it goes "knowing is half the battle" GI JOE!

God I'm old.

[quote name='wrencrest']No bro, it goes "knowing is half the battle" GI JOE!

God I'm old.[/QUOTE]

Psh. I know how it goes. You're not the only old person here.

But for us CAGs, it's way more than half.

I officially hate my local HWV stores. I found several of the games that qualify for the $5 off select new games deal, only to be told that 'we're only doing the trade 3 games get $5 off' deal.

Unfortunately, the local stores are limited to their intranet only, so they couldn't go to the HWV site and see the damn promo and again they wouldn't check their book of promos to see if there was/is a barcode for another $5 off promo.

I'm getting annoyed with this shit really fast. Then again, I shouldn't be so aggravated by this, since I've made bundles from their sales before and most of the games I want I only really want for flipping to GS or whatever anyway.

But I'm gonna call the store back that I hit today to see if their manager can clarify this. I already spoke with the manager at the one other HWV by me and they weren't helpful in the least.

[quote name='estofan']I saw the same signs at my local HWVs too. I stopped by a couple to ask, and although the initial respond was that, yeah, it's valid for all new games, as soon as I try to grab the $60 games (Batman, Ghostbusters), the store associates always tell me, oh, those games are excluded.

How convenient...[/QUOTE]
From when I tried, I was told that those were pre-orders that were never picked up, and got put into the game case, and that's why they don't count.

Finally got a chance to hit a HWV last night. Neither employee knew anything about the $5 off, so I had to find the barcode on their sheet and guide them through it. Got Lair and Infinite Undiscovery. Tried to get Lego Batman (360), but it rang up as $19.99 before discount, so I passed.

ok...here's the deal with the $5 off any new game... On the intranet...back on sept 15th there was a memo with all of the different deals listed on HWV webpage however the $5 off any new game was this tiny paragraph at the bottom of the page linked with a bunch of other deals. I think A LOT of hwv mgrs/employees either didn't see this tiny paragraph about the deal (there is no other memos about it at all), so that is why everyone is getting a lot of hwv employees that have no clue about the deal or even how it exactly works. Even a couple employees I work with didn't know about it because they had not dealt with anyone buying any games...we have crap at our store right now. Plus the barcode is on a page with a bunch of other barcodes...so I can totally understand why ppl are having trouble with this deal. what do you do? I dunno... come to my store ;) j/k ... suggest printing the memo from the website and telling the employees that when you "talked to corp" they said there was a memo about the sale around sept 15. ...maybe you'll get better luck unless there a store that doesn't really care.

sale officially ends oct. 12.

There wasn't much at my store that would've worked for the sale though, except one lone copy of Force Unleashed for the Wii(down to $9.99 now) and a copy of Lair.

[quote name='tattoojeep']got MGS4 for 9.99 (14.99) -5.[/QUOTE]

Found a store with 1 copy of MGS4 with a tag that said 59.99. I was elated!....rang up at 24.99..DANG! I may still get it though.

They continue to be unable to find anything about the deal at my local HWV. However, they also continue to just mark stuff down $5 for me ;). It's too bad they sent so much stuff away though.

[quote name='Nick996']look in your hot book for thursday nice sale for ps2, xbox, and gamecube owners..[/QUOTE]

Don't tease...is it all PS2/Xbox/GC games are $4.99?

I got an email today that said the $5 deal expires in 5 days, 10/13. Not sure if anyone else had noted that.

bread's done
Back