Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so has the 'big Xbox/PS2/GC sale kicked off as of yet? If not, then I have very little reason to go to HWV, even though corporate FINALLY got back to me regarding the $5 off game sale(the one not requiring rentals)and said my one local store will now allow them.

How nice of them, only two fuckin' days prior to the end of the deal. What a joke. There's probably nothing left by now.

Xbox/PS2/GC sale has not started yet.

IATCG: Sorry to hear about the problems. Corp. can be very frustrating to deal with with any company, let alone one that is so hit and miss with the way they run things store-to-store. I would agree that everything is gone by now.

Today I got ghostbusters 14.99 + tax. 19.99-5.00. They also had RE5 for $24.99 before discount. Traded in God of War II ps2 for $7.00!

I'm gonna have to keep checking back, hollywood near me has Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and Star Wars KotOR :) would love to get both on the cheap.

OK....I just got back from my two local HWV stores. The first one I hit was the one that got emailed about the deal and out of the four games I wanted(Lego Batman for PS3, Infinite Undiscovery for 360, Mercenaries 2 for 360 and Force Unleashed for Wii)they had ONE game(Force Unleashed for Wii).

Needless to say, I didn't want to hassle them(since there was a crowd)for ONE game from the cases, so I left.

Then, I tried the other one, where I was told that they are 'a discount store and NOT doing that $5 off promo'(even though they have a sign touting $5 deals on games and movies in the frickin' window).

So, after a bit of back and forth(and me telling them no wonder HWV is going down the drain when they pick and choose promos per store), I left that store with nothing.

What a pain in the ass HWV has become.

[quote name='Toss']Today I got ghostbusters 14.99 + tax. 19.99-5.00. They also had RE5 for $24.99 before discount. Traded in God of War II ps2 for $7.00![/QUOTE]Which system is that ghostbusters?

Also, what is the "big sale" on ps2/xbox/GC? Have some posts been deleted and that's why I don't get the hubbub?

[quote name='jdawgg76']Which system is that ghostbusters?

Also, what is the "big sale" on ps2/xbox/GC? Have some posts been deleted and that's why I don't get the hubbub?[/QUOTE]

i got a 360 version but i assume it would be the same for ps3. the big sale is buy one get one free.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']OK....I just got back from my two local HWV stores. The first one I hit was the one that got emailed about the deal and out of the four games I wanted(Lego Batman for PS3, Infinite Undiscovery for 360, Mercenaries 2 for 360 and Force Unleashed for Wii)they had ONE game(Force Unleashed for Wii).

Needless to say, I didn't want to hassle them(since there was a crowd)for ONE game from the cases, so I left.

Then, I tried the other one, where I was told that they are 'a discount store and NOT doing that $5 off promo'(even though they have a sign touting $5 deals on games and movies in the frickin' window).

So, after a bit of back and forth(and me telling them no wonder HWV is going down the drain when they pick and choose promos per store), I left that store with nothing.

What a pain in the ass HWV has become.[/QUOTE]

No no no, they've always been a pain in the ass!! No wonder the gamecrazys are closing down and i heard one of the 7 HWV in my area just closed down over night, i expect to see more very soon for these very reasons!

B1G1 on last gen is weak. Don't waste your money. Maybe if they don't sell we will see another $3.99 sale.

[quote name='J7.']B2G1 on last gen is weak. Don't waste your money. Maybe if they don't sell we will see another $3.99 sale.[/QUOTE]

Read it again, it's Buy ONE, get ONE.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

What a pain in the ass HWV has become.[/QUOTE]

The sign on the window for $5 games is not for the sale at all...its supposed to be aimed toward the power play rental deal. I'm not sure why that store isn't doing the deal tho...mine is a discount store too and the barcode rings up just fine, but of course its the same at my store too...crap for games. Pretty mad that we don't have that ghostbusters anymore...would have snatched that up.

[quote name='shoe478']Read it again, it's Buy ONE, get ONE.[/QUOTE]
I made a typo. I meant that it is weak for B1G1. It is nowhere near as good as a $3.99 sale. Nothing is worth flipping with B1G1.

I think a lot of last gen games are between 4.99 to 9.99, so it is a chance to get 50% off. Not sure what's in stores, but there may be a couple of decent flips, only problem is there aren't any decent TIV deals for last-gens right now.

I never found a last gen game worth flipping in the last $3.99 sale that had a sticker price lower than ~$10-$15. If you can even find a flip by buying 2 $10 stickered games for $5 each or 2 $15 for $7.50 or 2 $20 for $10, etc the profit margin is going to be extremely slim.

[quote name='J7.']I made a typo. I meant that it is weak for B1G1. It is nowhere near as good as a $3.99 sale. Nothing is worth flipping with B1G1.[/QUOTE]

Every sale doesn't have to be a opportunity to flip games. Doesn't anyone buy games to to own anymore?

[quote name='jonathanp']Every sale doesn't have to be a opportunity to flip games. Doesn't anyone buy games to to own anymore?[/QUOTE]

:) I do! :applause:

I buy games to own at times, if they're cheap enough, but CAG has definitely spoiled me and made me unwilling to pay over $5($10 at most) for most games. The only exclusions to that list might be the GTA series and any GOOD GTA clones.

Otherwise, I'll wait till every BOGO/clearance/sale to try and buy other games I might want.

[quote name='jonathanp']Every sale doesn't have to be a opportunity to flip games. Doesn't anyone buy games to to own anymore?[/QUOTE]
True, but would you rather pay $10 for 2 $10 games, $20 for 2 $20 games, etc, or $3.99 for any single one of them? It's as simple as not supporting the weaker sales that companies do when they're known for much better sales.

Had a little trouble getting the $5 off even though I had no problem at this store before. They have so many "$5" deals that they get confused. In any case, in the end it worked.

So late Sunday evening I got Ghostbusters PS3 for $14.99, SW Force Unleashed Wii for $4.99, and another Infinite Undiscovery for $4.99. This was the store that had the cheap games sitting on the checkout counter and this IU has been there for well over a week since I bought the other one they had. If no one is willing to buy it when it's out in plain sight with a correct ($9.99) price tag, then I'm not leaving it any longer ;).

Thanks a ton to the CAGs who posted about SW Force Unleashed for Wii being $9.99 and Ghostbusters being $19.99. I would have never known as they had them tagged $19.99 and $39.99 respectively. I really should have just gotten the rest (they had more of both) since the $5 sale is ending and I want to liquidate my Gamecrazy credit ASAP. Oh well...

[quote name='io']Had a little trouble getting the $5 off even though I had no problem at this store before. They have so many "$5" deals that they get confused. In any case, in the end it worked.

So late Sunday evening I got Ghostbusters PS3 for $14.99, SW Force Unleashed Wii for $4.99, and another Infinite Undiscovery for $4.99. This was the store that had the cheap games sitting on the checkout counter and this IU has been there for well over a week since I bought the other one they had. If no one is willing to buy it when it's out in plain sight with a correct ($9.99) price tag, then I'm not leaving it any longer ;).

Thanks a ton to the CAGs who posted about SW Force Unleashed for Wii being $9.99 and Ghostbusters being $19.99. I would have never known as they had them tagged $19.99 and $39.99 respectively. I really should have just gotten the rest (they had more of both) since the $5 sale is ending and I want to liquidate my Gamecrazy credit ASAP. Oh well...[/QUOTE]

If I wasn't really tight on cash right now and I wanted to give Ghostbusters another chance(just sold my copy this weekend to a local shop for $25), I'd go and buy one from the local HWV that was running the $5 off promo(after having to be contacted by corporate about it:roll:).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If I wasn't really tight on cash right now and I wanted to give Ghostbusters another chance(just sold my copy this weekend to a local shop for $25), I'd go and buy one from the local HWV that was running the $5 off promo(after having to be contacted by corporate about it:roll:).[/QUOTE]

By the way, my son completed the game with no problems on the PS3. Maybe they fixed all those issues you mentioned with a patch (it did patch when we started it up)? (This was the copy I bought from Amazon during the Slimer Edition DotD - the one I got at HWV Sunday is probably going to Gazelle)

Well, I believe the copy I had had a "Gamestop Exclusive" something or other on the cover of it. I got it from another CAG for my Tales Of Vesperia guide last month sometime, but that issue kept happening, so I got fed up with it.

I know I downloaded a patch when I first started it up, but it was to fix the multiplayer facet and not the single player.

Maybe it's that you have the Slimer edition and the GS edition got gimped somehow. I have no other explanation as to how one copy will have the issue and another one won't. But many others in the Ghostbusters thread said they had the same problem.

I'm not sure if it was part of the $19.99 and under games, but I saw the box for one of the Halo 3 ummmm "Helmet" versions the other day at one of my local two HWV stores.

It was clearly marked $19.99.

So for those who missed out on getting it from Toys R'Us for $20, here's your chance to get it.

I went to a HWV and they had plenty of PS3 games in the case including the Lego games, Lair, etc. They were all marked 18.99 but of course multiple employees there would NOT give me the deal.

I left empty handed.

[quote name='Dahk']I went to a HWV and they had plenty of PS3 games in the case including the Lego games, Lair, etc. They were all marked 18.99 but of course multiple employees there wouldve give me the deal.

I left empty handed.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you. Most of the employees
(cept for that one chick that let me get an account without having to give them my debit/credit card info and also lemme trade 2 copies of Gears Of War 2 that I just bought during the $5 game sale)
at my local HWV stores are a bunch of lazy fucktards who are shocked when I know more about their sales than they do.:roll:

The one manager is kinda cool, but otherwise the rest of them are just there to get a paycheck and don't give two shits bout being up to date on their sales info.

[quote name='Dahk']I went to a HWV and they had plenty of PS3 games in the case including the Lego games, Lair, etc. They were all marked 18.99 but of course multiple employees there wouldve give me the deal.

I left empty handed.[/QUOTE]

They might be marked $18.99 or higher but they will ring up at the register for $9.99 for the PS3 games you mentioned... The $5 discount has expired though but you should be still able to get it at $10 each.

[quote name='estofan']They might be marked $18.99 or higher but they will ring up at the register for $9.99 for the PS3 games you mentioned... The $5 discount has expired though but you should be still able to get it at $10 each.[/QUOTE]

Actually, usually when a deal says it 'ends such and such date', that usually means it ends at closing time ON that date. So, the $5 off deal should still be good for the rest of the day today.:D

Now if I could just find out if Ski Doo for PS3 is still getting $15 or whatever it was getting cuz then I'll go grab 2 copies from Gamestop for $5 each and trade them to HWV before the end of the day today and grab a $30 game for $10.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Now if I could just find out if Ski Doo for PS3 is still getting $15 or whatever it was getting cuz then I'll go grab 2 copies from Gamestop for $5 each and trade them to HWV before the end of the day today and grab a $30 game for $10.[/QUOTE]

According to the iPhone app Ski-Doo for PS3 still gets $13.64/$15 at Gamecrazy (thus you should be able to get $13.64 at HWV unless they match the MVP boost).

Cool. Thanks IO. Now I just gotta hope the one girl who's decent at allowing doubles is working at the HWV that's doing the $5 off sale today.

Of course, that's assuming that the store is still allowing the $5 off promo today, so I can grab a few games to flip(if my buddies sister doesn't want Lego Indy: Original Adventures for the kids for Christmas).

The deal for $5.00 off all games at HWV is now over, and I hope you all got in on it. The big thing now is the B1G1 sale for all last-gen console games. Honestly, I don't like that deal too much because really only the PS2 games have value. Not many people play GC games on their Wii from what I know.

Happy hunting (and in case you couldn't figure it out, the OP has been updated).

the B1G1 is great if you actually want to play some old school stuff. I never owned an original xbox until just recently, picked up Jade Empire and Robotech for $5 and change.

Lots of catching up to do.

Jade Empire is a great game. There were a lot of solid games, but be warned that not all Xbox games are BC. The Sims: Bustin' Out, NFL Street, and a couple 007 games are not BC in addition to countless more.

Apparently yet another copy of Ski-Doo has appeared at a Gamestop near me, so i'll be getting that. I think it's too bad that my Hollywood Video only has abou 4 games for the PS3, and 10 games for the 360. All of them happen to be '08 sports or lower, so that's fantastic.

Also, io, how much does the 360 ski-doo get?

[quote name='Interfeci']
Also, io, how much does the 360 ski-doo get?[/QUOTE]

I said I'd help out with GC/HWV TIV when I got my iPhone. Got it, so here's your answer, 360 Ski-Doo: Snowmobile Challenge isn't listed on the GC app. PS3 still gets $13.64/$15 w/MVP.

[quote name='lukewin']I said I'd help out with GC/HWV TIV when I got my iPhone. Got it, so here's your answer, 360 Ski-Doo: Snowmobile Challenge isn't listed on the GC app. PS3 still gets $13.64/$15 w/MVP.[/QUOTE]

Drat. Thanks for the information, luke.

Damn, went into my local HWV Monday, walked past it again today and it is gone. "Indefinitely closed" is what it said on the door. There was no indication this was going to happen on Monday, it is just suddenly gone. I got a lot of great deals there, it will be missed.

[quote name='ackbar7']Damn, went into my local HWV Monday, walked past it again today and it is gone. "Indefinitely closed" is what it said on the door. There was no indication this was going to happen on Monday, it is just suddenly gone. I got a lot of great deals there, it will be missed.[/QUOTE]

They'[re closing a lot of stores...5 have closed just around me and my store is on the the edge of closing. No liquidation sales...

The death begins....

Terrible to see a solid business like HWV start to go out like that, but I am surprised they are even lasting this one. Remember when they were going to be bought out by Circuit City? That would have been an epic crash and burn.

[quote name='ackbar7']Damn, went into my local HWV Monday, walked past it again today and it is gone. "Indefinitely closed" is what it said on the door. There was no indication this was going to happen on Monday, it is just suddenly gone. I got a lot of great deals there, it will be missed.[/QUOTE]

I went to go get myself a taco a few weeks ago and the Taco Bell which had been there the day before was gone, vanished like it had never been there. Damned recession. :D

[quote name='bvharris']I went to go get myself a taco a few weeks ago and the Taco Bell which had been there the day before was gone, vanished like it had never been there. Damned recession. :D[/QUOTE]

It is really sad isn't it. Several stores in my town have closed and several more have "going out of business sale" signs up. Granted HWV, Circuit City and other businesses have certain flaws, but the harsh reality of people losing their jobs is really upsetting.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The death begins....

Terrible to see a solid business like HWV start to go out like that, but I am surprised they are even lasting this one. Remember when they were going to be bought out by Circuit City? That would have been an epic crash and burn.[/QUOTE]

Solid business? Did I not get the memo saying they were a solid business? HWV deserves to go under. Their stores are awful, generally have awful employees, and not to mention their layouts are terrible as well.

I am glad to see HWV go under. They are the epitome of a terrible business.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Solid business? Did I not get the memo saying they were a solid business? HWV deserves to go under. Their stores are awful, generally have awful employees, and not to mention their layouts are terrible as well.

I am glad to see HWV go under. They are the epitome of a terrible business.[/QUOTE]
I don't know how any CAG could be happy to see a business go under that was just selling Fable, Halo Wars, Saints Row 2, and many quality titles for $5 just a couple of months ago. Their sales were some of the best and I am going to be sad when HWV is no more. To say nothing of the employees who were always nice to me, and some of whom are CAGs and keep us informed of these deals.

bread's done
Back