Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mizzou75']so wait, is the deal going on now until 11/12 or does it start on 11/12?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='super_dawn']
...oh so I totally could not find our market guide today. i dunno what people do with things sometimes. erg. ;) but I looked at last weeks and it seems the current sale is still B1G1 on all xbox/ps2/cube games until 11/12 and then the 3 for $15 starts.
.[/QUOTE].

[quote name='database']Will the $4.99 sale started on Thanksgiving or black friday? I remember last year their ad was for Thanksgiving.

Of course this is assuming I have a HWV left by then; I;m down to 4.[/QUOTE]

Last year the $3.99 sale was going on well before Thanksgiving I think their ad just finally publicized the sale beyond this forum. I think this sale will start on the Friday after thanksgiving, but you would have to get super_dawn to clear that up for you.

And my hollywood videos are dropping like flies as well.

It was rather sad when I walked into my HWV and noticed that I could buy the rentals like some of you have mentioned. I quickly realized that the store is likely to close because most of their video game stock was cleared out. They only had a few random new releases of games. All the rentals can be converted to sales now.

I wonder if there are any rare/valuable games that could be converted to a sale for a good value. I also wonder what happened to most of their stock of video games.

[quote name='super_dawn']Buy Any Three (3) Games Priced $14.99 or Less = $19.99!

This deal is pretty much exactly the same as the "Buy Any Four (4) Games Priced $9.99 or Less = $20.00" deal, except that you buy any three games priced $14.99 or less (at the same time) and you will get all three for a total of $19.99!

What is this? I've never heard of this deal...are these new or used games? and are you sure on the price? You have 3-4 deals on the OP...you probably should put when these end/begin and remove ones that are old.

btw those wall posters hannah and jonas are not rumored anymore..we have tons at my store still for only .50 cents.
[/QUOTE]

Doh. Sorry, put that deal up too early. That one doesn't start until 11/12/09.

[quote name='J7.']I'm pretty sure you pay only $15, not $20, for any 3 games that cost $14.99 or less.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was a mistake on my part. The deal (correct deal :lol:) will be up when it goes live..

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but my HV had all new games $19.99 or less, nothing really good, but maybe good for someone that has a store that hasn't been gutted. My store is in La Habra CA YMMV

[quote name='fshaia']Don't know if this has been posted yet, but my HV had all new games $19.99 or less, nothing really good, but maybe good for someone that has a store that hasn't been gutted. My store is in La Habra CA YMMV[/QUOTE]

Some HVs have been converted to only carry value games at $19.99 or less. They don't have games that would normally be more than $20, so you aren't going to find new releases or any higher value games there.

I will definitely check when it gets closer as to the exact date the black friday $3.99 sale begins...but i'm pretty positive so far that it will start right on black friday.

I remember working at a store a few years back that started the whole "purchasing rentals off the shelf" deal...we then closed maybe a month or two later.

I remember working at a store a few years back that started the whole "purchasing rentals off the shelf" deal...we then closed maybe a month or two later.[/QUOTE]

HWV has never had a great, loyal base of customers. Most everyone liked Blockbuster more, but I never did. BBV had terrible, mostly stupid employees and now their games are $10 for 5 days I think.:booty:

Hey, for those who work at HWV (and I guess GameCrazy?)

What games are now $30 used or less and weren't during the last sale? I'd like to pick up some games during that $5 sale on BF.

The one in Falls Church closed today. They've still got all their stuff in there, but it's closed. I found out when I popped over there while my girlfriend was working on a paper in the Panera nearby.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']HWV has never had a great, loyal base of customers. Most everyone liked Blockbuster more, but I never did. BBV had terrible, mostly stupid employees and now their games are $10 for 5 days I think.:booty:[/QUOTE]

I entirely disagree about the loyalty base. Five years I have worked for HWV and I still have regulars that have followed me from closing store to closing store because our service was better than other competitors or even a rental box. In the beginning, (and still now somewhat)..we have always concentrated on knowing our customers names in order to make them feel "like a star" which is hwv's entire premise. I think that has helped form such a loyal base of fans.

[quote name='RedGamer']Hey, for those who work at HWV (and I guess GameCrazy?)

What games are now $30 used or less and weren't during the last sale? I'd like to pick up some games during that $5 sale on BF.[/QUOTE]

I will definitely try to get a list as we get closer to bf...that is if I'm still at hwv.

*sigh* I thought I'd be nice and post all of the deals currently right now...

11.12.09 to 12.09.09 Used Game Deal
3 for $15 for any game priced $14.99 or less
Coupon Code +CGC3FOR15 (Note: You do not need this code...this is just the code the employees should have behind the counter to scan for the deal.)

There will be a $4.99 Black Friday Deal for any Used Game priced $29.99 or less. I know people ask what games are around this price point so I made a small list of what "decent" games qualify for this sale. Now this list may differ from store to store.

Used Games Under $29.99

:360:
Army of Two
Assassin's Creed
Beautiful Katamari
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfar
Dead Rising
Destroy all Humans
Fable II
Far Cry II
Ghostbusters
GTA 4
L4D
Overlord
Oblivion
Prince of Persia (its $12.99 if you don't want to wait.)
Saints Row 2
Silent Hill
Street Fighter 4
Wanted

:ps3:
Assassin's Creed
BioShock
Blitz the League II
Burnout Paradise
Destroy all Humans
Far Cry II
Ghostbusters
GTA 4

:wii:
Alice in Wonderland
Animal Crossing w/o wii speak
Big League Sports
Boom Blox I & II
Conduit
De Blob
Family Feud
Food Network
Ghostbusters
Indiana Jones (priced $12.99)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Mini Ninjas
Monkey King (Already $4.99)
Overlord
Press Your Luck
Price is Right I & II
Punch Out
Super Smash Bros Brawl

Here is the current Used "Previously Viewed" DVD sale:

11.09.09 to TBD Used Movies
Buy 2, Get 2 ($14.99 or less) +CB2G2ALL
$4.99 ($12.99 or less) +CPD499PV
$3.99 ($9.99 or less) +CPD399PV

As quoted from the hwv market guide, "Stores participating in a Used DVD test will not participate in these new offers." In other words, not all stores may have this deal going on.

Alright...thanks guys! Enjoy....if there is a Hollywood Video still around you. :D

Thanks for the update superdawn!

Sadly, the closest stand-alone HWVs closed unexpectedly and any that are left aren't near where I'd be on Black Friday.

Saint's Row 2 for the PS3 and Gears Of War 2 for the 360 also qualified for the sale last time, Dawn. Although, I believe that GOW 2 was a temp price drop and that's how it qualified.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Saint's Row 2 for the PS3 and Gears Of War 2 for the 360 also qualified for the sale last time, Dawn. Although, I believe that GOW 2 was a temp price drop and that's how it qualified.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...they probably are on there. I did a quick skim through the computer and only wrote games that were used priced around $24.99 or $29.99...so if they were priced lower than that in the computer I didn't write them down cause I figured people know about those.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Saint's Row 2 for the PS3 and Gears Of War 2 for the 360 also qualified for the sale last time, Dawn. Although, I believe that GOW 2 was a temp price drop and that's how it qualified.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what the deal was. I got Halo Wars last time for the sale price. I saw that it was 34.99 yesterday.

[quote name='Toss']I was wondering what the deal was. I got Halo Wars last time for the sale price. I saw that it was 34.99 yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Halo Wars was priced $34.99 in our computer.

[quote name='manthing']Thanks for the update superdawn!

Sadly, the closest stand-alone HWVs closed unexpectedly and any that are left aren't near where I'd be on Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

Same here, which is majorly depressing. I drove by one day and it was just completely empty. I was looking forward to the 4.99 sale too. :bomb:

Alright guys, I updated the OP with the Superdawn deals she posted as well as a few other things. Sorry for the delay, been a little busy lately and haven't been around here at all much.

super_dawn - I've got a HWV 1/4 mile from my house but I really didn't want to get up early on BF. Do they have regular hours that day? It is in the same parking lot as a Fred Meyer which like most other big-box stores is a mess on BF. But hopefully people will ignore little ol' HWV that morning, if they are even open at 6 when the FM deals start. But I would assume HWV wouldn't bother being open that early, right? That may be my only destination that day ;). Well, and perhaps BBV if they have the B1G1 sale then. But unlike during the last $4.99 used game sale I actually have a lot of GC/HWV credit now so I can go nuts.

[quote name='Toss']I was wondering what the deal was. I got Halo Wars last time for the sale price. I saw that it was 34.99 yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I think Halo Wars and Gears Of War 2 both had temporary price drops during the last $5 sale which made them eligible.

As quoted from the hwv market guide, "Stores participating in a Used DVD test will not participate in these new offers." In other words, not all stores may have this deal going on.

[/QUOTE]
Thanks super_dawn! Does that quote apply to only the video deals or the game deals too?

[quote name='io']super_dawn - I've got a HWV 1/4 mile from my house but I really didn't want to get up early on BF. Do they have regular hours that day? It is in the same parking lot as a Fred Meyer which like most other big-box stores is a mess on BF. But hopefully people will ignore little ol' HWV that morning, if they are even open at 6 when the FM deals start. But I would assume HWV wouldn't bother being open that early, right? That may be my only destination that day ;). Well, and perhaps BBV if they have the B1G1 sale then. But unlike during the last $4.99 used game sale I actually have a lot of GC/HWV credit now so I can go nuts.[/QUOTE]

I believe HWV should be open for somewhat of a while on Black Friday. Just don't sleep in to 9:00 PM at night!:lol:

[quote name='denshaotoko']does heavenly sword qualify this time around?[/QUOTE]

I'll try to remember and check to see.

[quote name='io']super_dawn - I've got a HWV 1/4 mile from my house but I really didn't want to get up early on BF. Do they have regular hours that day? It is in the same parking lot as a Fred Meyer which like most other big-box stores is a mess on BF. But hopefully people will ignore little ol' HWV that morning, if they are even open at 6 when the FM deals start. But I would assume HWV wouldn't bother being open that early, right? That may be my only destination that day ;). Well, and perhaps BBV if they have the B1G1 sale then. But unlike during the last $4.99 used game sale I actually have a lot of GC/HWV credit now so I can go nuts.[/QUOTE]

I try not to work on BF since I myself will be out that early AM...but if I remember correctly I believe our store may have only opened an hour early if that! ...I'd bet on normal hours but try calling the week before to just check when they open that Friday.

[quote name='J7.']Thanks super_dawn! Does that quote apply to only the video deals or the game deals too?[/QUOTE]

That quote was underneath the deal for Used DVD movies...but I'd say it goes for games as well. Some stores may have a different sale going on or "testing" a different sale.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Alright guys, I updated the OP with the Superdawn deals she posted as well as a few other things. Sorry for the delay, been a little busy lately and haven't been around here at all much.[/QUOTE]

I noticed no pre-order deals...I wanted to say...the pre-order deals have been pretty much non existent in our market guide. Nothing good and the list has been very short...I'm not sure if this is just us because our store is a discounted game store or hwv is just suckin'. I'm thinkin' the second one. ;)

[quote name='denshaotoko']does heavenly sword qualify this time around?[/QUOTE]

My local HWV has one marked at 29.99. It looks like it was marked down to that price because it had more than one price sticker on the case.

[quote name='super_dawn']I noticed no pre-order deals...I wanted to say...the pre-order deals have been pretty much non existent in our market guide. Nothing good and the list has been very short...I'm not sure if this is just us because our store is a discounted game store or hwv is just suckin'. I'm thinkin' the second one. ;)[/QUOTE]

That is a NICE list of 4.99 games, but what are the odds those games will be in store? Are they converting rentals to sale? If so that means they will only have 1-3 copies max. Games like MP Trilogy are hard to get used, even at gamestop. I have only seen one used copy of it ever.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I believe HWV should be open for somewhat of a while on Black Friday. Just don't sleep in to 9:00 PM at night!:lol:[/QUOTE]

Um, I wasn't worried about when they close - I was worried they would be open too early and get the overflow shoppers from Fred Meyer cleaning out all the cheap used games at 6 or 7 am ;). If they don't open till 9 or 10 am then I'm golden - will be my only trip of the day probably.

Hey Dawn, not sure if you know anything about this, but I might as well ask.

Do you think it'd be possible to ask the manager over at my HWV to ask for a shipment of used games, or is this only for designated stores?

Wow 5 bucks for L4D, SF and Gears 2? count me in... now it's all about scoping out my store before the sale starts... no one ever goes in there... should be able to make off with the goods pretty easily... yes... muahhahaahaha...

[quote name='J7.']Does anyone know what Stores participating in a Used DVD test means?[/QUOTE]

Some stores (like the one I'm at) may sometimes do different sales than the nationwide ones. So..not all stores may participate in the deal because they are "testing" out a different sale.

[quote name='eugaet']Indiana Jones [Wii], is that Staff of Kings or LEGO?[/QUOTE]

That is Staff of Kings...but the Lego one is also less than $29.99.

[quote name='*Deathblade2']That is a NICE list of 4.99 games, but what are the odds those games will be in store? Are they converting rentals to sale? If so that means they will only have 1-3 copies max. Games like MP Trilogy are hard to get used, even at gamestop. I have only seen one used copy of it ever.[/QUOTE]

Yes...if you can find them. Most stores were very picked over from the last sale. However.... this is my area, but we had 3 stores close around the Tampa area and my mgr went to these closing stores to retrieve lots of good product for our store. So some stores may actually have gotten some good stuff since then. And I know that our store has had some good trades come in (ie. Halo Wars was traded in at my store...and dammit, I hope it drops below $29.99 for the sale! ;) ) YMMV on any stores converting rentals to used for the sale. We have not had a game drop since March at our location. Pretty rare to have any mgr let you buy the rental unless they have a ton of copies.

[quote name='Interfeci']Hey Dawn, not sure if you know anything about this, but I might as well ask.

Do you think it'd be possible to ask the manager over at my HWV to ask for a shipment of used games, or is this only for designated stores?[/QUOTE]

Its up to corporate on where to send used shipments of games...I'm keeping an eye out for any memos about this because the last sale we did get one big box of used games (all crap tho!) Although...if its still around, you can comb the old hwv sale thread because someone mentioned something about ordering used games and having them shipped for the sale. I don't know anything about it but maybe someone who has done this can explain. Although I think it would be more difficult to do since this is only a BF sale and not a monthly deal.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']should be able to make off with the goods pretty easily... yes... muahhahaahaha...[/QUOTE]

Made me laugh. :lol:

[quote name='super_dawn']Although I think it would be more difficult to do since this is only a BF sale and not a monthly deal.[/QUOTE]

Noooooooooo. Shit. I was really hoping this was going to be a multi week grabfest again where I could storm through the two local HWV stores for weeks and just pick up tons of good trade fodder.

But it's ONLY for Black Friday? :bomb: That sucks, if it's true.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Noooooooooo. Shit. I was really hoping this was going to be a multi week grabfest again where I could storm through the two local HWV stores for weeks and just pick up tons of good trade fodder.

But it's ONLY for Black Friday? :bomb: That sucks, if it's true.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to double check the exact dates of the sale, hopefully it will be in this weeks market guide...but the mguide two weeks ago only mentioned black friday weekend.

Thanks Dawn. I was expecting another epic $5 sale like last year. I bought SO MANY games from that sale(like the 8 copies of Gears Of War 2 that dropped to $29.99 the last week of the sale:lol:)and made so much cheap credit from that deal combined with the $4 last gen sale HWV had.:drool:

I easily had enough credit between Blockbuster and Gamestop to buy multiple systems.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Thanks Dawn. I was expecting another epic $5 sale like last year. I bought SO MANY games from that sale(like the 8 copies of Gears Of War 2 that dropped to $29.99 the last week of the sale:lol:)and made so much cheap credit from that deal combined with the $4 last gen sale HWV had.:drool:

I easily had enough credit between Blockbuster and Gamestop to buy multiple systems.[/QUOTE]

Nice! I did that with copies of FarCry2 and a couple other ones. Yea, I wish we had more stuff at our store but I'm gonna try my best to get some good stuff for trade-ins...I need to get a few games as christmas gifts...no way i'm paying full price. ;)

I had at least 2 extra copies of Saint's Row 2 for PS3, which dropped during that last week just like GOW 2 did, but I ended up trading them into Toys R Us and Gamestop respectively since I already had a complete/mint copy I got in trade for a copy of MGS4 about a year ago.

Unfortunately, after the last sale like this I think the two stores are going to either be cleaned out very early or just not have much to begin with.

Hell. They didn't even have any copies of Red Faction: Guerrilla for the $19.99 new/$17.99 used temporary sale that Scorch reported on for GC(and HWV stores with Gamezones), so I'm not at all hopeful for this upcoming BF sale.

Don't expect too much from the HWV BF sale. It will be epic (got to pick up L4D and Gears 2 for $5.00 each) but you do have to remember that HWV doesn't stock a ton of games.

Also, in case nobody answered most (98%) of the games being sold for $5.00 on BF will be converted rentals. Meaning, may have some disc scratches, other marks etc. and the packaging will be HWV rental packaging (i.e. no retail cases)

bread's done
Back