Official Hollywood Video Deals Thread - Updated Throughout The Week!

Thekrakrabbit

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hello and welcome to the official Hollywood Video Deals Thread, brought to you by Thekrakrabbit and Cheap Ass Gamers around the world!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is to be used to learn about and post about all deals that can be found at Hollywood Video stores around the nation. Feel free to post any deals you may have found, some details and your location and when I see it I will edit this post ASAP to let evetyone know about the money-saver. Please make sure that any deals you post about have your location included to help out fellow CAGs.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to be a CAG, and lets all save some cash!

Happy Hunting! :bomb:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Deal(s):

*PLEASE NOTE*
These deals will not work in Hollywood Video stores that have a "Gamecrazy" or "Movie Gallery" in them most of the time. 99% of the time, only standalone Hollywood Video stores or those with a "Gamezone" will run the deals. YMMV. Most of the time, Hollywood Video stores either alone, or with a "Gamezone". NOT Gamecrazy or Movie Gallery.

DVD Deals:

All Movies $12.99 or Less Are Discounted To $4.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
All Movies $9.99 or Less Are Discounted To $3.99 (Needs coupon code up front)
Buy Any Two (2) Movies, Get Two (2) Free (Priced $14.99 or less) (Needs coupon code up front)
Pre-Order Bonuses:

:360::360::360::360::360:

None!

Multiplatform:

None!

Xbox Live 12+1 Month Gold Cards - $39.99:

{Serious YMMV though, as not every Hollywood Video carries these Xbox Live cards, and not every store will have the same amount of stock. Not every store will have many, if they have any.}

New Copies of Madden NFL 10 - $39.99:

{Again, serious, serious, serious YMMV deal as this is not an official Hollywood Video deal and the odds of you scoring such a great steal are slim to none. Nevertheless, a solid deal if you can find it.}

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ackbar7']i don't know how any cag could be happy to see a business go under that was just selling fable, halo wars, saints row 2, and many quality titles for $5 just a couple of months ago. Their sales were some of the best and i am going to be sad when hwv is no more. To say nothing of the employees who were always nice to me, and some of whom are cags and keep us informed of these deals.[/quote]

this.

[quote name='ackbar7']I don't know how any CAG could be happy to see a business go under that was just selling Fable, Halo Wars, Saints Row 2, and many quality titles for $5 just a couple of months ago. Their sales were some of the best and I am going to be sad when HWV is no more. To say nothing of the employees who were always nice to me, and some of whom are CAGs and keep us informed of these deals.[/QUOTE]

While I admit that I get along with SOME of the employees, the fact that this past $5 off sale saw stores picking and choosing to run it or not made me wonder HOW this chain is still in business.

If a store is only selling cheap games, they're running the sale, but if they're selling normal priced new games they're exempt from running it.

I missed out on snagging about 5-6 titles due to a couple of reasons, one being mentioned above, the other being that the store that was SUPPOSED to be running it only decided to FINALLY run it after I complained to corporate as to why they're not running it.

With such gross mismanagement and such oblivious employees, where it's sad that we know more than they do, it's no wonder they're floundering and struggling to stay afloat.

If they do go under, I will feel sorry for the CAG's who work for them since they'll be out of a job, but I'm sure they will go on to much better things than working for a fucked up company like Hollywood Video.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Solid business? Did I not get the memo saying they were a solid business? HWV deserves to go under. Their stores are awful, generally have awful employees, and not to mention their layouts are terrible as well.

I am glad to see HWV go under. They are the epitome of a terrible business.[/QUOTE]

Come on, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Whether or not you like the employees or sales, it is a company with a lot of jobs and people who will be losing them.

Personally, and I think I have backing behind this, HWV runs some very good deals from time to time. You can easily get a couple really good deals a year, and most aren't even as YMMV as other deals. They run national sales that everyone likes.

Earlier this week, I went to a HWV in hope of getting lucky and finding a copy of Ghostbusters. I was greeted by a glass case with maybe 40 games total. The glass case had 3 sections on each side but the 2 middle sections were covered up with signage. I was kind of embarrassed for even thinking that there was a miniscule chance of finding GB in stock.

[quote name='bvharris']I went to go get myself a taco a few weeks ago and the Taco Bell which had been there the day before was gone, vanished like it had never been there. Damned recession. :D[/QUOTE]

Taco Bell leads to recession one way or the other...

[quote name='ackbar7']I don't know how any CAG could be happy to see a business go under that was just selling Fable, Halo Wars, Saints Row 2, and many quality titles for $5 just a couple of months ago. Their sales were some of the best and I am going to be sad when HWV is no more. To say nothing of the employees who were always nice to me, and some of whom are CAGs and keep us informed of these deals.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't so much a great deal for everyone. There aren't any standalone HWVs, where that sale was, in Chicago.

I am still sad that economy got the best them though.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']The death begins....[/QUOTE]

Might be premature, some info direct from Hollywood Video

As I recall, the last big deal was only for the types of stores that seem to be staying open. My HWV experience has been fantastic. The store managers keep the barcodes at the checkout desk--I have to ask every time but at least the hourly employees know where to look.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']While I admit that I get along with SOME of the employees, the fact that this past $5 off sale saw stores picking and choosing to run it or not made me wonder HOW this chain is still in business.

If a store is only selling cheap games, they're running the sale, but if they're selling normal priced new games they're exempt from running it.

I missed out on snagging about 5-6 titles due to a couple of reasons, one being mentioned above, the other being that the store that was SUPPOSED to be running it only decided to FINALLY run it after I complained to corporate as to why they're not running it.

With such gross mismanagement and such oblivious employees, where it's sad that we know more than they do, it's no wonder they're floundering and struggling to stay afloat.

If they do go under, I will feel sorry for the CAG's who work for them since they'll be out of a job, but I'm sure they will go on to much better things than working for a fucked up company like Hollywood Video.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, to further the proof of this a year ago there was 8 Hollywood Videos within a 30 mile radius, today there is TWO LEFT! I do agree with the OP that due to this we will miss out on deals but to be honest the deal were far and between!

Starting 11/12 the used games promo becomes 3 for $15 ($14.99 or less). On black Friday the $4.99 on used games ($29.99 or less) returns! Sorry if it has been posted already. Browsing from iPhone and didn't want to forget to post this.

[quote name='tardoman']Starting 11/12 the used games promo becomes 3 for $15 ($14.99 or less). On black Friday the $4.99 on used games ($29.99 or less) returns! Sorry if it has been posted already. Browsing from iPhone and didn't want to forget to post this.[/QUOTE]

Hell Yeah! where'd you get this info?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Come on, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Whether or not you like the employees or sales, it is a company with a lot of jobs and people who will be losing them.

Personally, and I think I have backing behind this, HWV runs some very good deals from time to time. You can easily get a couple really good deals a year, and most aren't even as YMMV as other deals. They run national sales that everyone likes.[/QUOTE]

If by national sales, you mean ones that my local HWV employees act like don't exist, then yeah they do but just not around here 80% of the time.

Thanks for the info on the upcoming revival of the $4.99 used game sale, Tardoman. It's just a shame that I have a feeling that HWV won't make it to Black Friday.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Come on, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Whether or not you like the employees or sales, it is a company with a lot of jobs and people who will be losing them.

Personally, and I think I have backing behind this, HWV runs some very good deals from time to time. You can easily get a couple really good deals a year, and most aren't even as YMMV as other deals. They run national sales that everyone likes.[/QUOTE]

I tried to give 3 different ones my business but after dealing with morons for employees as well as managers that were just as clueless, I decided no more. I can't really stand blockbuster either but I went back to them because HWV is absolutely pitiful. And I am not talking about just 1 as I said that was 3 different ones.

One by my house just went and disappeared one day out of thin air. Luckily I had returned all my movies and shit because I know a sketch ass company like them would have found a way to charge me up the ass. The only good thing I can say about HWV was when my sister lost the 2nd disc to my 6th season of South Park I went and rented it and went back saying I had lost it. The girl behind the counter only charged me $5 + tax for it.

I feel totally different aobut gamecrazy though. The 3 that I frequented, of which 2 are closing sadly, were filled with knowledgable employees as well as very good managers. They went out of their way to check on things for me all the time.

[quote name='bananafish900']Might be premature, some info direct from

As I recall, the last big deal was only for the types of stores that seem to be staying open. My HWV experience has been fantastic. The store managers keep the barcodes at the checkout desk--I have to ask every time but at least the hourly employees know where to look.[/QUOTE]

To counter that link above, noticed this on the news last nite. Seems a HWV in town suddenly closed. Employees showed up to work to find out they were locked out with no notice.

Seems HWV hasn't paid the rent and the store is locked. So it can't open nor can they retrieve property from it.

Local news video at kdbc.com front page. Sorry I can't post links since I'm new.

[quote name='Mktoast']To counter that link above, noticed this on the news last nite. Seems a HWV in town suddenly closed. Employees showed up to work to find out they were locked out with no notice.

Seems HWV hasn't paid the rent and the store is locked. So it can't open nor can they retrieve property from it.

Local news video at kdbc.com front page. Sorry I can't post links since I'm new.[/QUOTE]

I can see the employees just breaking in and stealing the stuff soon.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I can see the employees just breaking in and stealing the stuff soon.[/QUOTE]
The only thing I would want to steal from them is their disc buffer. Those things are awesome

Its very sad. We were locked out for two weeks from our store because the rent was not paid. The landlord came and changed the locks. Odd that hwv paid rent and we're back open. Don't think it will last. I did want to say that when I first started working for hwv in 2004 I thought this company was very good and I really enjoyed working for them. I remember being soo very busy back then but of course...we still had half the shelves being vhs and dvd's were a new thing. now its all just a mess.....

yea...if we close I am so taking the disc buffer. ;) I snagged our shrink wrapper from the last store i worked at that closed.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']What would you need a shrink wrapper for? To sell on eBay? :lol:[/QUOTE]

He like the NIB feel. Touched for the very first time and all that.

Hm another 4.99 sale? Hope some new stuff drops to the lucky 29.99 price point by then :) has anything new (and good) dropped since the last sale?

...ever open something and want to take it back? ;) I've done that for a few cheap dvd's that I decided I didn't like. Or when I've bought some used dvd's for gifts...my boyfriend likes new not used...good way to fool him and I know hwv PV dvds are practically never rented so perfect condition. ...plus its fun entertainment...haha I've shrink wrapped my bf's keys before.

...i work tonight so i'm gonna check the market guide too. if the 4.99 sale is coming up again I better put aside some stuff. ;)

[quote name='bananafish900']He like the NIB feel. Touched for the very first time and all that.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing like cracking open a new game and taking a whiff. I would NEVER do that with ANY games from Gamestop unless they were new and not 'newsed'(aka gutted and sold as new).

yea. i confirm it as well. ... 3 for $15 on $14.99 or less used games until 11/12 and then black friday will have the $4.99 ($29.99 and under) sale as well. don't know if my store will be around by then though.

I got B2G1 @ HWV today, and they also had 360 versions of Prototype & Ghostbusters for $17.99 each. Worth the trip to one of the stores, but not hardly worth the trip to any of the other locations as I've discovered many stores closed last week locally and another store refused to do the B2G1 because they are losing too much money. It's reasons like that why I only exploit their deals and don't shop there regularly.

[quote name='super_dawn']yea. i confirm it as well. ... 3 for $15 on $14.99 or less used games until 11/12 and then black friday will have the $4.99 ($29.99 and under) sale as well. don't know if my store will be around by then though.[/QUOTE]

Awesome news. Thank you again for the info, super_dawn. ^^ Were you ever able to find a copy of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS? I almost certainly will be working on Thanksgiving Thursday night, but at the very least, I will be able to head over to HWV sometime after work on Black Friday and hopefully pick up a few games.

[quote name='super_dawn']yea. i confirm it as well. ... 3 for $15 on $14.99 or less used games until 11/12 and then black friday will have the $4.99 ($29.99 and under) sale as well. don't know if my store will be around by then though.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I can't wait for black Friday deal! thanks! :D

[quote name='tardoman']Starting 11/12 the used games promo becomes 3 for $15 ($14.99 or less).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='super_dawn']yea. i confirm it as well. ... 3 for $15 on $14.99 or less used games until 11/12... [/QUOTE]

Looking for a little help, does this promo start or end on 11/12?

Thanks to all those who keep track of these HWV sales and post the info.

:)

[quote name='fei33']Awesome news. Thank you again for the info, super_dawn. ^^ Were you ever able to find a copy of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS? I almost certainly will be working on Thanksgiving Thursday night, but at the very least, I will be able to head over to HWV sometime after work on Black Friday and hopefully pick up a few games.[/QUOTE]

sadly no. I checked about 4 different walmarts. i saw that online it said the one way over my citrus park mall had a copy in stock but i'm never over in that direction and who knows how reliable that info is.

[quote name='Terg']Do the games in the rental section count as used games that you can buy? >.>[/QUOTE]

you cannot purchase games in the rental section...hwv makes more money renting them out over and over then a one-time purchase.

So HWV doesn't have a 'rent it for one night and then pay the normal used price on TOP of that' keep it type of program, Dawn?

Then I guess I'm glad Blockbuster is still around, since they do. :razz:

[quote name='super_dawn']
you cannot purchase games in the rental section...hwv makes more money renting them out over and over then a one-time purchase.[/QUOTE]

I did have one store tell me that they were converting from a rental location to more of a "through sales" HWV, and they offered to sell me rentals -- whatever I wanted games or movies. They said the policy was starting today, so it sounds like some of the stores might be doing it, but I suspect it's going to be done to stores that are about to close or maybe turn into stand-alone GameCrazy's.

My local store had no idea of this deal. Do they need to call tech support or is there somewhere I can refer them to look this up?

Well, I do not think there is an official page on the subject, but you should just tell them to look it up. They should know what deals are on-going.

[quote name='converse']I did have one store tell me that they were converting from a rental location to more of a "through sales" HWV, and they offered to sell me rentals -- whatever I wanted games or movies. They said the policy was starting today, so it sounds like some of the stores might be doing it, but I suspect it's going to be done to stores that are about to close or maybe turn into stand-alone GameCrazy's.[/QUOTE]

That store must have been told they were being converted to an Outlet Store or somethin'. Yesterday my store was told they were being converted to an outlet store, but today we were told this was our last night to be open. They also expect us to pack everything up and ship it out within 3 days.

Weak sauce... I was really lookin' forward to pickin' up some games on the black friday sale. :cry:

Sucks to have essentially 8 hours notice that you no longer have a job.. Fortunately for me this was a side job (I was in it for the free rentals mostly). For three of my friends this was their full-time job..

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So HWV doesn't have a 'rent it for one night and then pay the normal used price on TOP of that' keep it type of program, Dawn?

Then I guess I'm glad Blockbuster is still around, since they do. :razz:[/QUOTE]

I didn't know they did that. and that is why they are still hangin on. ;)

[quote name='converse']I did have one store tell me that they were converting from a rental location to more of a "through sales" HWV, and they offered to sell me rentals -- whatever I wanted games or movies. They said the policy was starting today, so it sounds like some of the stores might be doing it, but I suspect it's going to be done to stores that are about to close or maybe turn into stand-alone GameCrazy's.[/QUOTE]

definitely a closing store! I've been thru 2 closing stores and I'm sure a third one soon...sounds like they are on the way out.

[quote name='tardoman']That store must have been told they were being converted to an Outlet Store or somethin'. Yesterday my store was told they were being converted to an outlet store, but today we were told this was our last night to be open. They also expect us to pack everything up and ship it out within 3 days.

Weak sauce... I was really lookin' forward to pickin' up some games on the black friday sale. :cry:

Sucks to have essentially 8 hours notice that you no longer have a job.. Fortunately for me this was a side job (I was in it for the free rentals mostly). For three of my friends this was their full-time job..[/QUOTE]

SAME here. edge of my seat wondering when our last day will be. ...I feel bad for the few employees I really like who only work there and no where else. ...sucks sucks sucks.

oh and i'll dbl check the 3 for $15 deal...maybe it said it starts 11/12 instead of ends...it was a monday so I was a bit busy running around that night.

So the more I look at this thread the more likely it seems that by black friday there will be no more HWV around. I'll be sad when that happens. Hope your store stays open Dawn.

[quote name='super_dawn']
oh and i'll dbl check the 3 for $15 deal...maybe it said it starts 11/12 instead of ends...it was a monday so I was a bit busy running around that night.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Much appreciated.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Movie Gallery ones should be ok Skuttie.[/QUOTE]

no...there not okay either. I heard first about several movie galleries closing in the florida panhandle before stores around me closed. they shipped a couple boxes of stuff to us. i thought maybe there whole system would be to close hwv's first but it seems to be a crap shoot.

...oh so I totally could not find our market guide today. i dunno what people do with things sometimes. erg. ;) but I looked at last weeks and it seems the current sale is still B1G1 on all xbox/ps2/cube games until 11/12 and then the 3 for $15 starts.

...i don't even know if i care anymore if our store stays open. its been such a headache! i'm about done. i made only $40 from 10am to 5pm...ridiculous.

The current deal could be a good bargain if stores have titles like Rogue Galaxy, God of War I and II, Final Fantasy X and XII, MGS3: Subsistence... all of which were at my local store during the $5 deal.

[quote name='super_dawn']sometimes. erg. ;) but I looked at last weeks and it seems the current sale is still B1G1 on all xbox/ps2/cube games until 11/12 and then the 3 for $15 starts.[/QUOTE]

Finally got an associate to take the time and find out what promos are running and they confirmed the B1G1 on old gen stuff.

Will the $4.99 sale started on Thanksgiving or black friday? I remember last year their ad was for Thanksgiving.

Of course this is assuming I have a HWV left by then; I;m down to 4.

I'm not worried about our movie gallery really, it's the only movie store around here worth going to. Most of the xbox games were in bad shape, seemed water damaged so don't go "OMG YOU TRADED THAT?!" please.

anyway

10/17/09

:xbox:
Splinter Cell- Double Agent $2.00
Splinter Cell- Pandora Tomorrow $1.00
Silent Hill 2 $1.60
Rainbow Six 3 $1.00
Manhunt $1.00
Splinter Cell- Chaos Theory $1.00
Tony Hawk American Wasteland $1.00
50 Cent- Bullet Proof $1.00
The Suffering $0.90
Fight Night Round 3 $2.00

:dvd:
Analyze This (WS/FF) $2.60
Chronicles of Narnia- Prince Caspian (WS) $3.00
Jackal $1.20
Left Behind 2-Tribulation $2.60

10/10/09

Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disn/WS) $1.20
World War II Battlefront $1.20
Lone Ranger (1949/TV) volume 2 $2.60
Bonanza- Six Shooter col. v.3 $2.60
Garfield the Movie (WS/FF) $2.00
Junglebook 2 disc disney edition $2.00
Night at the Museum $2.60
Garfield, a Cat and his nerd $2.60

10/03/09

Ring Two $0.90

9/17/09
:xbox:

Cabela Outdoor Adventure 2006 $1.75
Call of Duty 2 Big Red One $1.00
Rainbow Six 3 $1.00
Scarface $1.00
Halo 2 $1.00

9/30/09

Scarface $1.20
300 $2.60
Carnival of Souls $0.80

9/14/09

Night of the Living Dead $1.20
Little Shop of Horrors $0.40
Final Fantasy Spirits Within (2 disc SE) $1.20
Digimon the Movie $0.80
Starship Troopers (1997/ws) $1.20
Cry Wolf (2005/Unrated/WS) $1.20
Cinderalla III $3.00
Carlitos Way $1.20
Aeon Flux $2.0
Live Free or Die Hard $2.60
Chronicles of Riddick $2.00
Pitch Black $3.00
Billy Madison $1.20
Chronicles of Riddick Dark Athena $1.60
Descent $2.00
Two Brothers $2.00

9/16/09

The Comancheros $1.20
Clint Eastwood Collection $8.00
Star Wars Episode 2 $1.20
Star Wars Episode 3 $3.00
Aqua Teen Hunger Force vol.3 $2.00

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Updated the OP a bit.[/QUOTE]

Buy Any Three (3) Games Priced $14.99 or Less = $19.99!

This deal is pretty much exactly the same as the "Buy Any Four (4) Games Priced $9.99 or Less = $20.00" deal, except that you buy any three games priced $14.99 or less (at the same time) and you will get all three for a total of $19.99!

What is this? I've never heard of this deal...are these new or used games? and are you sure on the price? You have 3-4 deals on the OP...you probably should put when these end/begin and remove ones that are old.

btw those wall posters hannah and jonas are not rumored anymore..we have tons at my store still for only .50 cents.

I wondered into my local HWV on Saturday and saw that they were running a B1G1 free deal with used last gen games. Didn't pick any of those up, but I may go back this week. I did pick up Infinite Undiscovery for $9.99. They also had a new copy of Wild Arms 4 for $9.99 and a new copy of Steel Battalion for $4.99. Is Wild Arms 4 worth $9.99? And can I flip that Steel Battalion on ebay for some profit? Isn't it worthless without the controller and XBL?

EDIT: The Steel Battalion game is actually the second one and not the original one.

so wait, is the deal going on now until 11/12 or does it start on 11/12?

bread's done
Back