--Official Must Buy Genesis Games Of All Time--updated 9.5.05--

Whoa whoa whoa....

You have GOT to have Contra Hard Corps on this list.

contrahc_screen2.jpg
Contra%20Hard%20Corps%20TS.png

[quote name='smalien1']Are the Phantasy Star games turn based?[/quote]

I only played Phantasy Star II, and that game has a turn-based battle system...:robot:

*update V* I left this sit for over 2 months & now we're up to 119 games! Thanks for posting the games but if you disagree and prove your point as to why it shouldn't be on there & I'll take it off. That way if a game really dosen't deserve to be on the list it can be kicked off. That will take care of all those games that people disagree with and it may spark up this board a little more.

Anyone remember a little unknown game called "Commander Chaos" (I think that's the name, but it might have been General Chaos.)

It was a kind of action/ strategy game that was pretty original for its time.There was a blue team and a red team of about four maybe six soldiers each that went at it on a pretty good variety of maps.

Damn, I wish I could remember more. the multiplayer was hella fun. Anyone have a clue about it?

Nevermind, I'm a dumbass, its already on the list. Great game.

[quote name='road3283']Anyone remember a little unknown game called "Commander Chaos" (I think that's the name, but it might have been General Chaos.)

It was a kind of action/ strategy game that was pretty original for its time.There was a blue team and a red team of about four maybe six soldiers each that went at it on a pretty good variety of maps.

Damn, I wish I could remember more. the multiplayer was hella fun. Anyone have a clue about it?

Nevermind, I'm a dumbass, its already on the list. Great game.[/quote]

Yep, that was General Chaos...
http://www.playerschoicegames.com/generalchaos.html

I loved "Mercs", thought it was a really cool shooter.

I think it was originally an arcade game. there were three different characters with upgradeable weapons. The co-op was a lot of fun.

Altered Beast is still a good looking game. Nothing special but the sprites are nice, big, and clean. The only thing bad about it is that it's way too easy now compared to when I was 9 or 10 yrs. old. Still have fond memories playing the genesis and some bad ones - like after playing revenge of shinobi I made my dad buy shadow dancer for $50 or $60 bucks @ Good Guys! And it was a horrible "sequel."

ONe that I don't see listed is Sunset Riders. I found taht game back in the day to be super addictive and was very fun even though the SNES version IMO is slightly better.

I was a huge Nintendo guy, but I somehow managed to have bought two Genesises back in the day. I loved the sports titles primarily, not the Sports Talk ones though. Phantasy Star and Kid Chameleon ate my life away.

I'm playing Quackshot now. I've had it sitting around for a couple of months and decided to give it a try. To my suprise it is a really fun game with great gameplay and decent graphics even though I can't stand Donald Duck.

Shining in the Darkness I loved. It took me like 5 years of searching to finally find it - I think I got it for like $6 used at an EB games in the end. Sold it with the rest of my Genesis stuff when I went away to college, though.

Two games that I don't see on the list that deserve to be are Calibur 50 and Rocket Knight Adventures.

All three James Pond games should also be added.

*update VI* I've let this sit for five months and finally an update has come along...talk about what was good, what was missed, and what shouldn't be on here.

You put the game as Calibur 5 when I'm pretty sure that the title of it was Calibur 50. Also what happened, why no James Pond love on there?

*update VII* This was last updated in LATE JANUARY. I've added more games that were mentioned. It has been a long time since this list has been seen, but it should be a resource to a few people, so check it out!

Must haves:

Dune: The Battle for Arrakis....While people were playing Command and Conquer (and I still had a 286), Dune was awesome.
M.U.S.H.A: One of the most underrated, spectacular shooters of all time.
Target: Earth: Ridiculously hard, great story, gameplay never boring.
Phantasy Star II: For some reason, I played IV and dont remember it, and dont have it anymore, but I remember II distinctly, and would love to play it again.
Kid Chameleon: Great side scroller, powerups, and many levels.
Toe Jam and Earl: Classic, especially if you have a brother. I was always fat Earl.
Decapattack: Another classic sidescroller, cool enemies, and main character.
NHL 95: Best of the NHL's...and has the NYR Stanley Cup team.
Thunder Force II, III and Lightining Force: One of the best collection of Shooters of all time.
Ghouls and Ghosts: First release, amazing, groundbreaking, and by far, the best G+G's released..
The Revenge of Shinobi: Simply great, especially when you beat the shit out of batman, spiderman and rambo.
Golden Axe: Genesis does what Nintendont. Arcade classic, dwarf cant be stopped.
Streets of Rage 1 and 2: Never played 3, but throughly enjoyed the first 2.
Shining Force Series: A underrated RPG, with a tactics style sequel thats fun to play.
Shadowrun: If your a diehard, this game will suit your needs, as opposed to the SNES one, although I enjoyed that one too.
Sonic series: No need to explain.

Im sure theres more, but I cant think of them......

WAIT, I remembered more...

Evander Holyfield Boxing: The best boxing game of our generation, outside of Mike Tyson's Punchout. Although there was a Greatest boxing game for Genesis with the likes of Ali, Frazier etc that was cool too...
General Chaos: Never played a game like it, and havent since.
Road Rash 2: Great game that never made it to SNES.
The Immortal: Although this game was released for several computer systems and NES, the Genesis version had great graphics, and I liked the storyline. fuck off if you dont like it.
Starflight: I was too young to play this game I think, but I watched my bro play it...
Last Battle: Mediocre beatem up, but with big sprites that was an first release in '88 that blew me away.....
James Pond I: Never played the sequels and didnt even know they existed but this title was damn fun.
Quackshot: Disney game in the Ducktales Elk with nice graphics.
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse: Awesome graphics, music and game play. Dont confuse with the shitty Fantasia, although they did release another MM, that was just as good as this one.
Gaires: Cool shooter
Wonderboy III: Great update on the Adventure started on the Master System.
Eswat: Similar to Last Battle, just played it recently and it has nothing on Revenge of Shinobi.

And a few more:

Alien Storm: Similar to Golden Axe, too easy, but damn fun.
Ghostbusters: By far and away, the best Ghostbuster game ever released.
Strider: First 8megs, great game.
Mystic Defender: First release, cool side scroller, and fuck ed up enemies.

hell i have atleast 50 of those games, and thats just been going to yard sales, i would say mutant league football and hockey, wish they would update

I's suggesting this one mainly because I have been looking for it like crazy since I remember it being awesome. I would like someone else's opinion on it however if they remember it.

Saint Sword.

[quote name='IkilledLassic']Must haves:

M.U.S.H.A: One of the most underrated, spectacular shooters of all time.

[/QUOTE]

This definitely needs to be on the list.

some to add:

-ecco:tides of time (equally as beautiful as the first I think)
-bubsy (why does everyone hate this game?)
-splatterhouse 2 (havent played 3, is it as good?)
and..

-JAMES POND 3!

Pirates! Gold
One of my favorites, it's very open-ended and has better graphics and music than most of the other versions of Pirates! and Pirates! Gold.

General Chaos is an awesome game, although it brings back bad memories. When I first discovered GameStop years and years go, I traded in my mint copy of General Chaos and my Sega Genesis. :(

Oh and mint copies of Mutant League Football and Hockey.

bread's done
Back