Official NHL 11 CAG Team - CheapyD All Stars - Hockey Nights Tue @ 10e / Fri @ 8e

Status
Not open for further replies.
LostMagic_Coverart.jpg

[quote name='jza1218']That win against the 75th ranked team last night is definitely one of our highlights of the year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was about the only thing that went right last night (especially considering we came back from an 0-2 hole). Maybe it was just a "4th night in a row" thing, but we were flat all night, pretty much all the way around. I know I couldn't get anything going and felt like every loose puck was just out of my reach. Our passing was pretty bad. We turned the puck over more than usual. And toward the end, we started puck chasing a bit. Honestly, the best thing about nights like that is that we're all experienced enough to know how to change it next time. Just an off night. No big deal.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, that was about the only thing that went right last night (especially considering we came back from an 0-2 hole). Maybe it was just a "4th night in a row" thing, but we were flat all night, pretty much all the way around. I know I couldn't get anything going and felt like every loose puck was just out of my reach. Our passing was pretty bad. We turned the puck over more than usual. And toward the end, we started puck chasing a bit. Honestly, the best thing about nights like that is that we're all experienced enough to know how to change it next time. Just an off night. No big deal.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't with you guys earlier in the night, but I didn't think it was that bad, 2-1-1 in the last four games of the night. That last game was bad, it felt like our passes were just off a little or just out of reach, but it was also late by that point.

Gonna try to play MLB with Alan around 10, so I'll be on if anyone wants to play.

[quote name='jza1218']I wasn't with you guys earlier in the night, but I didn't think it was that bad, 2-1-1 in the last four games of the night. That last game was bad, it felt like our passes were just off a little or just out of reach, but it was also late by that point.

Gonna try to play MLB with Alan around 10, so I'll be on if anyone wants to play.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think we lost our first two games before you started playing. Maybe it was just me then. I know my point output was awful last night. I don't know if I was getting slight lag or what because it seemed like I was having mic problems too and nobody could hear me. Either that or you're all plotting to raise my banner next, haha.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, I think we lost our first two games before you started playing. Maybe it was just me then. I know my point output was awful last night. I don't know if I was getting slight lag or what because it seemed like I was having mic problems too and nobody could hear me. Either that or you're all plotting to raise my banner next, haha.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, something must have been wrong with your mic, or maybe the party. You rarely ever were audible, and Brandom seemed to cut in and out kinda bad.

[quote name='moojuice']Yeah, something must have been wrong with your mic, or maybe the party. You rarely ever were audible, and Brandom seemed to cut in and out kinda bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I blame Comcast, lol. I finally finished unpacking today so I've got my wired headset accessible again. I don't know if anybody wants to play again tonight, but I"ll be on in about 10-15 minutes.

8 days till the demo...independent puck physics & proper replay saving have me exited. Anybody gonna be on today?

Edit: can anyone tell me what this ea season pass is all about? Saw it on the dashboard, you get to download the full game 3 days early apparently. It comes with a bunch of other crap and it's 2000 msp but I'd get it just for the early access and so I could have nhl on my hard drive. Can I get the game through amazon and still do this or do i have to buy straight from ea? Anyone know about this nonsense?

Edit 2: Ok so I found this in the faq...

What are the benefits of the subscription?

Benefits include:

•Early Release of all participating titles 3-days before they go on sale at retailers. The Early Release version times out when the game goes on sale at retailers. You will need to purchase the game at retail to continue playing.
All of the achievements and progress earned during Early Release follow you to your retail version of the game, including Ultimate Team coin earned.

...So you can buy the game from anywhere but no booting from the hard drive since the downloaded version dies. Not exactly what I was hoping for but I'll still probably get it because of the early access and 20% discount to dlc, plus I'm a sucker. Hopefully you guys are too so we can get in there early and start hip checking each other. Here's a link to the promo video if your interested.

http://www.easports.com/seasonticket

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']the EA pass seems like a rip to me.[/QUOTE]

Yea it's another spineless money grab by ea. But I'm a sucker for head starts so I'll take it.

[quote name='Ltor']Yea it's another spineless money grab by ea. But I'm a sucker for head starts so I'll take it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but will it help you with your "move"?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yes, but will it help you with your "move"?[/QUOTE]

I will create a goal with my move before nhl 12 comes out.

Steve Yzerman, Borje Salming, Jeremy Roenick and Patrick Roy added to legends. Two spots left and I know for damn sure one of them is going to Mario.

[quote name='Matt Young']I knew I felt something! I did play a drop in game last night for the first time in months.[/QUOTE]

Are you planning on picking up NHL 12 then? We were just talking the other night wondering what players who stopped playing long ago would be back.

Also, get your computer fixed yet?

[quote name='jza1218']One of them better be Mark Messier or Brian Leetch or some bitches are gonna get cut.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking Messier would be a good choice. I'd actually really enjoy reuniting Gretzky and Messier. That would be a lot of fun.

Actually, now that I'm looking at the videos again, based on the silhouettes they show at the end, the two remaining players appear to be right handed (which rules out Messier). I think Lemieux being one is a lock (most likely the one on the left). But the guy on the right isn't wearing shoulder pads and his equipment just generally looks smaller/older. I'd almost guess somebody like Gordie Howe for that one. I don't know how far back they're going with these Legends though.

nhl12legends.jpg

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Actually, now that I'm looking at the videos again, based on the silhouettes they show at the end, the two remaining players appear to be right handed (which rules out Messier). I think Lemieux being one is a lock (most likely the one on the left). But the guy on the right isn't wearing shoulder pads and his equipment just generally looks smaller/older. I'd almost guess somebody like Gordie Howe for that one. I don't know how far back they're going with these Legends though.

nhl12legends.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Good call. Maybe Howe or Richard?

No, Sean Avery is the biggest Sham in hockey, yet he is still in the game. Can't imagine how Gordie Howe is a big sham when he helped the game grow to what it is today.

^true he did, I just don't care for Howe, if you watch footage from his playing days, the goalies let in incredibly terrible shots. I just see him as vastly overrated because of it. While I hold Gretzky and Lemieux in much higher standing.

He also didn't really revolutionize hockey by a position like Orr did, and he's kind of like Palmiero in baseball, he just played so damn long he amassed a ton of points.

I know it's hard to judge guys from era to era, but like I said, at least Orr totally changed the game on defense. Howe just played a lot, 32 seasons! in fact. Which is probably really his biggest achievement. He never scored 50 goals once, he had 100 points only 3 times.

Then you look at a guy like Gretzky who just demolished every stat category when he came onto the scene.

So you don't like him because the goalies of his year were mediocre?

His run for 32 seasons. Unprecedented in this day and age.

I guess you'd also say Bill Russell is an average player as well. Leading multiple teams to cups? Meh nothing right?

[quote name='DestroVega']^true he did, I just don't care for Howe, if you watch footage from his playing days, the goalies let in incredibly terrible shots. I just see him as vastly overrated because of it. While I hold Gretzky and Lemieux in much higher standing.

He also didn't really revolutionize hockey by a position like Orr did, and he's kind of like Palmiero in baseball, he just played so damn long he amassed a ton of points.

I know it's hard to judge guys from era to era, but like I said, at least Orr totally changed the game on defense. Howe just played a lot, 32 seasons! in fact. Which is probably really his biggest achievement. He never scored 50 goals once, he had 100 points only 3 times.

Then you look at a guy like Gretzky who just demolished every stat category when he came onto the scene.[/QUOTE]

But if you're going to make that argument, you could make the same one about Wilt Chamberlain dominating the NBA against far lesser (not to mention shorter) players. Or Ted Williams hitting .400 when pitchers threw 250 pitches in a game and guys used oven mitts to try to catch the ball. They're all products of their time, and none of them would do as well in today's game. But it doesn't change what they did for the sport.

Lemieux and Howe are the final two legends. Hopefully a few more are released as DLC down the line, especially if you can use them in HUT.

[quote name='jza1218']Lemieux and Howe are the final two legends. Hopefully a few more are released as DLC down the line, especially if you can use them in HUT.[/QUOTE]

Called it. :cool:

I didn't want to start a heated debate, haha, but it's just how I feel.

You guys are right though, era to era is almost impossible to compare.

I just always saw Howe as a compiler who stuck around a long time.

He also wasn't very gracious about his records being broken either.

Just my opinion, like I said. It's not the end all.

Nate, my computer is just old more than it is in need of repair, I think... but it works just as poorly either way. I do have NHL 12 pre-ordered.

Like to join the NHL12 league in September. I guess the majority have xbox 360s so I'll have to get that version? Any interest for a league on PS3?

[quote name='Zygote']Like to join the NHL12 league in September. I guess the majority have xbox 360s so I'll have to get that version? Any interest for a league on PS3?[/QUOTE]

I believe there is already a PS3 club, though I don't know how active they are.

Demo is now up fellas!

Edit: WOW, it is awesome. The jostling in front of the net is amazing for d-men. You can check goalies which the other teams goalie which the AI did to me. Also love that the stadiums arnt fully packed this year either. It's going to be hard to play NHL 11 now while playing this now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall I like it but there are a few things that bother me. I really hope that they just have the sliders set to show it off but the goalie bumping is already on my nerves. Had a play where I drove to the net and got bumped by the D and stumbled into the goalie and he went flying and I got called for interference as the puck went into the net so no goal. Had almost no momentum going into him and he looked like he had been hit by a semi going 100 mph.

One thing I love is that if you hold the pass button for more than a second it doesn't end up a rocket pass that is impossible to handle anymore. Also, D does seem to be better at dropping back too. Had a few where I had a step on the d-man and he got back and cut off the angle well.

So far it seems good but it was good at launch last year too. We'll see how it ends up once people start whining about not being able to score 12 goals a game.

I had one game where the glass broke Brandon and it was the lamest hit ever. I ws going up the boards and the D hip check me and I didn't even fall but my ass hit the bords and the glss broke. Play got called dead and fce off by the blue line. Also, for me at least, it washard to score. I scored twice on two slap shot goals from the point with Chara, but the goalie was heavily screened. No more insane deke scoring. I also love the 'push the puck' button for some reason. I'm going to keep playing till I get bored of it eventually. I also love the new lookin the pause screen and the Be A Pro is really cool this year.

Yeah I definitely noticed smarter AI, and it doesn't seem like you can deke through a crowd of people. AI seemed aggressive, and I liked how you could knock a player off the puck without taking him down. Puck seemed more live, and less sticky.

Ugh...finally home from a chaotic day (car to garage, wife to doctor, etc), and just now able to download the demo. Hopefully I'll be able to play it here in a minute.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']As gay as this sounds, the puck physics are spot on. Playing hockey in real life, the puck bounces and rolls just like the game.[/QUOTE]

129079418825228305.jpg

Well, so far I'm liking the demo. I don't think it's a HUGE step forward, but it feels like a lot of little improvements that SHOULD make for a better game. I emphasize "should" because as we've all seen a little whining from douchebag sector and EA could completely change the game.

As for actual gameplay, personally, I still feel like it's not too difficult to score. "The spots" are pretty much still there, but I guess at some point, these just because high percentage scoring areas (remember, we used to think cross creases were complete bullshit). Slap shots to the near corner from the faceoff dot are just good shots (especially if there's any kind of traffic in front to screw with the goalie's view). Same goes for that slap shot from the high slot as you're sliding across from one post to the other. So far, they don't seem to be "always goals", but if the defense is soft and just allows the shot to happen, don't blame the goalie when it goes in.

On the positive side, the goalie definitely seems more capable. He's quicker to react and doesn't fiddle fuck around with the puck quite as much. I've seen him take hard shots, and then kick the puck to the corner, rather than just searching helplessly for it as it sits two inches in front of him. It also seems that shots do what they should do a little better. Hard slap shots from the point generate pretty fat rebounds, and I LOVE the way the puck plays off the boards. It seems to give a much bigger ricchochet and takes a second to settle down, rather than just being a perfect pass to another teammate.

The AI seems a bit smarter. I still saw them board play when they probably could have dumped the puck around the boards, but at least they seem to have an idea of what they want to do with it. Even in board play, they'll at least try to kick the puck around to another player, instead of just enjoying the dry hump and forgetting that the puck is even there. They also seem pretty damn aggressive in taking shots especially if there is ANY chance for a deflection. One time I was just skating through the slot trying to get open and my AI defenseman fired a shot that I deflected on net. I'm so used to just trying to get open so they'll give me the puck that it caught me completely by surprise.

At the end of the day though, the skill of the AI players is what it is. Barring any blatantly stupid AI plays (skating away from the puck, allowing opposing players to cherry pick) or scientific impossibilities (sticks clipping through body parts, dislocating limbs to score goals, puck going through skates, sticks, etc), the bulk of how well the game plays rests on us.

Every person who wants to play on this team needs to play strong defense and make good passes. In the past week alone, we've seen how our team performance is night and day depending on how we do in those two areas. If you're not a scorer, that's fine. Not a big deal. But there's no reason everybody can't learn how to play solid defense and make good passes. That might as well be a team requirement.

wow I just now found out about this thread haha. But anyway, does anyone know if there is a cag nhl 11 team for ps3? Yes I know i am in the Microsoft section but i searched and couldn't find anything, thanks.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
Every person who wants to play on this team needs to play strong defense and make good passes. In the past week alone, we've seen how our team performance is night and day depending on how we do in those two areas. If you're not a scorer, that's fine. Not a big deal. But there's no reason everybody can't learn how to play solid defense and make good passes. That might as well be a team requirement.[/QUOTE]

Just because you're not a scorer doesn't mean you can't contribute on the scoresheet either. Learning to see a play develop, notice when a teammate is in good shooting position or has a step on the defense and just generally anticipating the flow of the game on offense goes a long way to racking up assists in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back