Official NHL Not 15 (14) Discussion/CAG Team Thread - Headsets On Pants Off! New Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='DestroVega']Since it happens in real games I don't see the problem.[/QUOTE]

Just seems like flipping into the endzone in Madden. Rubbing it in for no real reason. Not to mention, if the fighting system isn't DRASTICALLY overhauled, it's not like winning a fight will be any real accomplishment. "You slammed on the right analog stick 300 times in 60 seconds...impressive." Celebrating after something like that would just be gay as fuck. And to paraphrase Joe Rogan, I don't mean gay in a negative way. It would literally be like two dudes fucking each other. Whether or not EA actually takes the time to implement any kind of stamina or strategy or lasting effect into the fights will make the difference.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just seems like flipping into the endzone in Madden. Rubbing it in for no real reason. Not to mention, if the fighting system isn't DRASTICALLY overhauled, it's not like winning a fight will be any real accomplishment. "You slammed on the right analog stick 300 times in 60 seconds...impressive." Celebrating after something like that would just be gay as fuck. And to paraphrase Joe Rogan, I don't mean gay in a negative way. It would literally be like two dudes fucking each other. Whether or not EA actually takes the time to implement any kind of stamina or strategy or lasting effect into the fights will make the difference.[/QUOTE]

I always thought the worst thing was the endless railing on people after the whistle with no penalty.

[quote name='DestroVega']I always thought the worst thing was the endless railing on people after the whistle with no penalty.[/QUOTE]

Why? That happens in real games also. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
There really isn't much taunting after fights in games, no? That would be an unsportsmanlike like conduct I thought? If anything, the players might do that arm flapping thing to get the crowd to cheer, but seldom does one player taunt another after a fight.

[quote name='moojuice']There really isn't much taunting after fights in games, no? That would be an unsportsmanlike like conduct I thought? If anything, the players might do that arm flapping thing to get the crowd to cheer, but seldom does one player taunt another after a fight.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't really see it happening all that much. At least not enough where it's worth adding it in as a feature. Oh right, it's EA.

[quote name='jza1218']Also known as EA's catch phrase.[/QUOTE]

If it's in the game, it's not like in the game? Haha

I think the basic idea is that taunting your opponent after a fight is just classless. Whether it happens in real games and an unsportsmanlike is called or not...it takes a special mentality to feel a need to do it (and it's something that doesn't even happen in actual fighting sports, lol...MMA, boxing, etc). The problem with implementing that into a video game, is it's going to happen every time. They might as well add fatalities too. And again...it's EA focusing on something that has little to do with how the game actually plays. Yes, the fighting was terrible...but ultimately, it also didn't matter.

I'd much rather them spend the time/resources figuring out how to stop goalies from throwing the puck back out when nobody calls for it (again), or figure out that just because you engage yourself in board play doesn't mean you're impervious to contact. This is what's discouraging about it. It's like selling a car with a broken windshield...and advertising that it has new wiper blades. That's how out of touch EA is.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I think the basic idea is that taunting your opponent after a fight is just classless. Whether it happens in real games and an unsportsmanlike is called or not...it takes a special mentality to feel a need to do it (and it's something that doesn't even happen in actual fighting sports, lol...MMA, boxing, etc). The problem with implementing that into a video game, is it's going to happen every time. They might as well add fatalities too. And again...it's EA focusing on something that has little to do with how the game actually plays. Yes, the fighting was terrible...but ultimately, it also didn't matter.

I'd much rather them spend the time/resources figuring out how to stop goalies from throwing the puck back out when nobody calls for it (again), or figure out that just because you engage yourself in board play doesn't mean you're impervious to contact. This is what's discouraging about it. It's like selling a car with a broken windshield...and advertising that it has new wiper blades. That's how out of touch EA is.[/QUOTE]

Yea I've never even fought once in 12 or 13. They could remove fights and I couldn't care.

In regards to the celebrating after fights, it seems stupid that they would add it, but at the same time I have no problem with it. You see it a lot as long as it is just the basic fist pump, clapping, pumping up the crowd, or if a visiting player maybe doing the "Shhh!" to the crowd like many many players have done before. I think saying "taunting" is misleading since there's a difference between showing emotion after a victory and standing over the player like Ali and pounding your chest. Obviously if it's the latter than all your arguments are valid, but so far from what they've said and shown it looks more like the fist pumps and crowd interaction variety.

[quote name='mvp828']In regards to the celebrating after fights, it seems stupid that they would add it, but at the same time I have no problem with it. You see it a lot as long as it is just the basic fist pump, clapping, pumping up the crowd, or if a visiting player maybe doing the "Shhh!" to the crowd like many many players have done before. I think saying "taunting" is misleading since there's a difference between showing emotion after a victory and standing over the player like Ali and pounding your chest. Obviously if it's the latter than all your arguments are valid, but so far from what they've said and shown it looks more like the fist pumps and crowd interaction variety.[/QUOTE]

But again, the real problem is that this is what they are choosing to focus on.

[quote name='NeedleInTheHay']It seems like there's enough hockey fans on here to do a full gm connected league for CAG, would people be interested if I ran it?[/QUOTE]

There is currently one. Don't know how active it is still. I check my team still but rarely play any live games.

[quote name='mvp828']In regards to the celebrating after fights, it seems stupid that they would add it, but at the same time I have no problem with it. You see it a lot as long as it is just the basic fist pump, clapping, pumping up the crowd, or if a visiting player maybe doing the "Shhh!" to the crowd like many many players have done before. I think saying "taunting" is misleading since there's a difference between showing emotion after a victory and standing over the player like Ali and pounding your chest. Obviously if it's the latter than all your arguments are valid, but so far from what they've said and shown it looks more like the fist pumps and crowd interaction variety.[/QUOTE]

I agree...if it's an "on the way to the penalty box" fist pump, thats's one thing. But yeah, using words like "celebrations" and "taunting" makes me think of doing finger guns or standing over your opponent and cracking a whip. What you're describing almost seems like it could be something built into the game and not user controlled. But if it is user controlled, I wouldn't put anything past EA. It's unsettling that that's where the "improving the game" discussion goes, but hopefully that's just ignorant gaming media not knowing what hockey fans actually care about.

Yes, exactly. Sure, a fist pump or waving your arms up for the crowd might affect the other team and i'm ok with that. However, this is EA and we all know how well their track record is with the whole momentum thing. One thing I'd like to see is line changes in EASHL or even USAH rules but I'll never see it happen. I would also like to see a new goal celebration where i can hug my team mates. My go to is pointing at the person that fed me the puck. Just so much stuff hockey fans would love but it seems they focus on stupid stuff. Fighting is such a small part of hockey and I feel like they are missing the bigger picture here.

[quote name='DestroVega']There is currently one. Don't know how active it is still. I check my team still but rarely play any live games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i'm already in a league for NHL 13, I was thinking of organizing an NHL 14 connected league for CAG if there's enough interest.

[quote name='NeedleInTheHay']It seems like there's enough hockey fans on here to do a full gm connected league for CAG, would people be interested if I ran it?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vulcan2422']CAGLeagueSports is the man to talk to about that as we normally join his[/QUOTE]

Yup, assuming GM Connected isn't as horrifically strenuous as it was in NHL 13, I"ll be doing one. I don't necessarily expect EA to lighten the load by allowing us to play shorter seasons (though they should)...but even if just the menus are quicker, it'll make things easier.

It was insane in NHL 13 when you'd go to advance from one section of games to the next section...all the things the game would have to process. It seriously took like 15 minutes one time. I ate lunch one day while the damn league was advancing, lol. I don't expect earth moving improvements, but considering how much the menus were criticized in reviews, I'm hoping they at least clean that up a bit.

Honestly though, if they don't allow us to play shorter seasons, it might make sense to split up and do 2 leagues. Having a FULL league just becomes incredibly daunting when you're faced with playing a full 82 game season. I think we had as many as 26 teams when we started last year, and it was incredibly hard to keep up a pace that would allow us to play more than one season...which is really the point of GM Connected to begin with. Definitely some stuff we'll have to figure out before we all get started.

[quote name='jza1218']But again, the real problem is that this is what they are choosing to focus on.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with that... I'm hoping they did a lot more it is just like Nate said and the media is just grabbing on to this aspect more.

[quote name='Matt Young']I am pretty sure that Twick gave up on running the franchise after a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

He's still advancing us, but with so few computer teams it has become a vacant thread. I don't even know when the last time I had a game against a human. On the same note I know it is in the last week of the season right now.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I agree...if it's an "on the way to the penalty box" fist pump, thats's one thing. But yeah, using words like "celebrations" and "taunting" makes me think of doing finger guns or standing over your opponent and cracking a whip. What you're describing almost seems like it could be something built into the game and not user controlled. But if it is user controlled, I wouldn't put anything past EA. .[/QUOTE]

I guess I didn't realize he said taunting in the article. That is pretty messed up and I think I have maybe seen that one or two times that I can think of.

[quote name='Vulcan2422'] I would also like to see a new goal celebration where i can hug my team mates. My go to is pointing at the person that fed me the puck. Just so much stuff hockey fans would love but it seems they focus on stupid stuff. Fighting is such a small part of hockey and I feel like they are missing the bigger picture here.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with that. I absolutely hate the ones they have now. If I do one I usually just run to the boards and jump against them. Otherwise I just like some of the AI ones. Although sometimes if I'm playing against some jackass in HUT who continues to hit me after the play, tries to watch every replay of his own team and tries to start fights I'll stand in front of his goalie and do the finger point. Needless to say that ends up being the case 50% of the time.

Celebration of a fighting win happens in all sports now a days. I would say it is seen the least in hockey however MMA and boxing every time I have watched you see some sort of celebrations. As long as it isn't over the top I don't care if it is in 14 or not. I would rather they do something useful with it than just put it in because hockey has fighting. If it is going to be in the game then what they need to do is make it so if you win your team gets some sort of boost if you lose they may skate slower for a short time or something. Something to show the boost in moral or loss of it. Also have a crowd reaction. If you win and are at home they cheer if you are away then they boo.

Hell I think I had maybe one fight in 13. I tried it just to see what it was like and saw no point in it.

[quote name='sendme']Celebration of a fighting win happens in all sports now a days. I would say it is seen the least in hockey however MMA and boxing every time I have watched you see some sort of celebrations. As long as it isn't over the top I don't care if it is in 14 or not. I would rather they do something useful with it than just put it in because hockey has fighting. If it is going to be in the game then what they need to do is make it so if you win your team gets some sort of boost if you lose they may skate slower for a short time or something. Something to show the boost in moral or loss of it. Also have a crowd reaction. If you win and are at home they cheer if you are away then they boo.

Hell I think I had maybe one fight in 13. I tried it just to see what it was like and saw no point in it.[/QUOTE]

In MMA, it's usually running back to your corner with your arms raised. I think the issue is the use of the word "taunting". Even that does happen from time to time in MMA, but that's how pushing matches and corner involvement get started...and then a speech about "this is not what the sport is about" from the announcers. Hopefully the blogger just doesn't know what he's talking about though.

I do agree, I would like fighting to actually matter...but not if they leave the "approach to winning" the same as it has been. Right now, it's commonplace for people to just hammer away relentlessly on the right stick, using the same logic as when they spam faceoffs (ie. "If I never stop, he can't do anything..huh huh") There's no strategy and no consequence for throwing 100 punches in 20 seconds. They need an endurance system that reduces the speed/power of your punches if you're not pacing yourself. Then, you can talk about giving team's a boost for winning a fight. Otherwise, it would be just one more thing for people to abuse. It seems like a simple idea. But we'll see if EA can figure it out.

[quote name='sendme']Celebration of a fighting win happens in all sports now a days. I would say it is seen the least in hockey however MMA and boxing every time I have watched you see some sort of celebrations. As long as it isn't over the top I don't care if it is in 14 or not. I would rather they do something useful with it than just put it in because hockey has fighting. If it is going to be in the game then what they need to do is make it so if you win your team gets some sort of boost if you lose they may skate slower for a short time or something. Something to show the boost in moral or loss of it. Also have a crowd reaction. If you win and are at home they cheer if you are away then they boo.
[/QUOTE]

Like Nate said, celebrating is in everything. Standing over the guy and doing a gun point or pounding your chest is not done.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
I do agree, I would like fighting to actually matter...but not if they leave the "approach to winning" the same as it has been. Right now, it's commonplace for people to just hammer away relentlessly on the right stick, using the same logic as when they spam faceoffs (ie. "If I never stop, he can't do anything..huh huh") There's no strategy and no consequence for throwing 100 punches in 20 seconds. They need an endurance system that reduces the speed/power of your punches if you're not pacing yourself. Then, you can talk about giving team's a boost for winning a fight. Otherwise, it would be just one more thing for people to abuse. It seems like a simple idea. But we'll see if EA can figure it out.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of hoping when they keep saying that they are using the Fight Night Champion system that they are taking it directly in terms of stamina, strength, etc.

[quote name='mvp828']I'm kind of hoping when they keep saying that they are using the Fight Night Champion system that they are taking it directly in terms of stamina, strength, etc.[/QUOTE]

I hope so. For whatever reason, I feel like it would be easier for them to just change the "effect" of the punches rather than change the entire mechanic behind fighting. You'd think if it was completely redone, they'd be calling it a "brand new fighting engine!" This is the sucky thing about finding out info early...there's way too much time to twiddle our thumbs and speculate, lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I hope so. For whatever reason, I feel like it would be easier for them to just change the "effect" of the punches rather than change the entire mechanic behind fighting. You'd think if it was completely redone, they'd be calling it a "brand new fighting engine!" This is the sucky thing about finding out info early...there's way too much time to twiddle our thumbs and speculate, lol.[/QUOTE]

And think of the many ways that EA could manage to fuck it up.

Speaking of EA, I don't know if you guys saw this or not, but you can sign up for the class action settlement that was against them. It only applies to purchases of Madden, NCAA, and the Arena football game way back when, but still $20 a pop for PS2, Xbox, and PC games and $5 a piece for 360 and PS3 games from 2005 to 2012.

http://easportslitigation.com/

[quote name='mvp828']And think of the many ways that EA could manage to fuck it up.

Speaking of EA, I don't know if you guys saw this or not, but you can sign up for the class action settlement that was against them. It only applies to purchases of Madden, NCAA, and the Arena football game way back when, but still $20 a pop for PS2, Xbox, and PC games and $5 a piece for 360 and PS3 games from 2005 to 2012.

http://easportslitigation.com/[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I did that like back in October/November. I figured nothing ever came of it.

I wonder if any of these EA games will be released on Next Gen consoles. Assuming they come out in the Novermber timeframe, could impact sales if people go all in on a new console.

[quote name='doubledown']I wonder if any of these EA games will be released on Next Gen consoles. Assuming they come out in the Novermber timeframe, could impact sales if people go all in on a new console.[/QUOTE]

I promise you console sales for both the PS4 and new Xbox will be underwhelming. The majority of people I've talked to don't plan on buying one right away....either due to apprehension about the new systems (BC, used games, always online, hardware failure, etc) or because they have a huge backlog. I don't really think the Wii U is selling poorly because it's a crappy console. I just think people aren't as eager to jump to the next biggest thing this time around.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I promise you console sales for both the PS4 and new Xbox will be underwhelming. The majority of people I've talked to don't plan on buying one right away....either due to apprehension about the new systems (BC, used games, always online, hardware failure, etc) or because they have a huge backlog. I don't really think the Wii U is selling poorly because it's a crappy console. I just think people aren't as eager to jump to the next biggest thing this time around.[/QUOTE]

I agree for the most part but I think the WiiU had a bigger problem, the wii is largely a family game system and I think it's really gimmicky. They got a ton of people to buy add-on junk. Why are they going to turn around and buy a new system that isn't much more advanced than the PS3 or 360?

The next gen systems from Microsoft and Sony seen to be another solid leap forward, so at least there is something to buy into.

But new consoles aren't huge smash hits right away anyway.

All that said, EAs going to make versions of their games for each new console as soon as they possible can.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I promise you console sales for both the PS4 and new Xbox will be underwhelming. The majority of people I've talked to don't plan on buying one right away....either due to apprehension about the new systems (BC, used games, always online, hardware failure, etc) or because they have a huge backlog. I don't really think the Wii U is selling poorly because it's a crappy console. I just think people aren't as eager to jump to the next biggest thing this time around.[/QUOTE]

I think the PS4 might do fairly well at release, but I just have a feeling that the new Xbox is going to get off to a slow start. Depending on price I'll look at both myself and then choose. I will say, if the PS3 is $300 or less I'm in, $400 and I'll consider it, and anything more and I'm holding off. HDD size is also another big factor for me.

From everything I have heard and read between the actual unveiling of the PS4 and the speculations of the Xbox, I personally am leaning towards the PS4. I've read a couple of interviews of game developers who have mentioned that they feel like Microsoft is focusing more on "Home Entertainment" and not the actual games. I do agree with Nate though about people not really being ready for the next system at least in terms of the PS4. Between GTA V in September and a few other PS3 exclusives late in the year it just seems like maybe they are jumping the gun and trying to get it out in time to have a shot at winning the console war this time around with Microsoft.

[quote name='DestroVega']I agree for the most part but I think the WiiU had a bigger problem, the wii is largely a family game system and I think it's really gimmicky. They got a ton of people to buy add-on junk. Why are they going to turn around and buy a new system that isn't much more advanced than the PS3 or 360?

The next gen systems from Microsoft and Sony seen to be another solid leap forward, so at least there is something to buy into.

But new consoles aren't huge smash hits right away anyway.

All that said, EAs going to make versions of their games for each new console as soon as they possible can.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of WiiU and Wii, I don't know if any of you caught it, but IGN recently had an article about how the Wii is outselling the WiiU since it's release.

As for the next gen and EA. I'm sure like Destro said, they will have new games, but I am wondering if they will be stripped down versions much like the first year or two of Madden was for 360.

I still can't help but think that Microsoft is going to release the new Xbox in September. About a year ago there were rumors that it would be a September release assuming they were able to work out the kinks they were having with production of the CPUs or GPUs. At that time they were supposedly having both in mass production but out of every 16 or so only one was working. I think Microsoft needs to release in September to get the early edge seeing as if there is a high demand they are going to need the extra month or so to ensure that people are choosing them over Sony. Especially when you think of the holiday sales and people who are going to want one or the other. "Oh you are all out of the new Xbox, well I'll just get the PS4 for little Johnny."

Just curious how many of you guys have both systems now and how many of you picked them up at launch?

Whew...this ended up being really long-winded, but yeah...I own all 3 systems, lol. Here we go!

This gen, the only system I bought at launch was the Wii. I grew up on Nintendo and was still loyal to their platform up to that point. I did buy an Xbox 360 around that time too, under the whole Wii60 movement, which had the premise that you could buy a Wii and a 360 for cheaper than you could buy a PS3, lol...which was true.

I bought a PS3 about a year later when it dropped to $500 (which was still a ridiculous price...but I paid for most of it by earning Guitar Hero II bundles on yourfree360games.com and selling them on eBay). This generation, there actually seemed to be a legitimate reason to own each console, as they each offered different things (at least at launch). The Wii offered motion gaming, the Xbox 360 offered great online gaming, and the PS3 offered high definition movie playback. But now, the 3 consoles seem to have grown more and more similar, so that same appeal really isn't there anymore (though, I still contest that the PS3 is the best blu ray player on the market).

Like most everyone else, I hardly played my Wii. Yeah, I played some of the system exclusives and the games that really made use of the technology, but not enough that I would do it again...so the WiiU has had little appeal to me up to this point. Do I want to play a new Mario game or Lego City Undercover? Sure...but my time is limited as it is.

My PS3, I actually have the least games for...and I really only put significant time into the MLB The Show series. But when my 60GB BC system went down, it seriously hindered mine and my wife's entertainment capacity. We used that thing to stream content from my PC, watch Netflix, watch BR/DVD, etc. After trying out and returning 3 different stand alone blu ray players (some as expensive as $90...which still struggled to play certain brand new blu rays...Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Gran Torino being two specifically), my wife commanded me to buy a new PS3 (picked up a 160gb slim for $130 on Cowboom). We use it every day...several times a day. So, yeah...I don't look at the PS3 as a gaming system...but it is a must own piece of hardware in our household.

As for the Xbox, like many others, I'm heavily invested in their product. I've had XBL Gold for several years, I have countless XBL Arcade games downloaded on my harddrive, my Rock Band DLC list is absurd, etc. I'm basically counting on Microsoft to not fuck up their next system. Assuming it is good, it will be the next gen system I look to buy. I still won't buy it right away...but if the system ends up sucking or being extremely restrictive, I might have to give console gaming itself a long hard look before deciding to continue.

There were just so many cheap games to pick up this generation. Once a game hit the $10-15 range, I basically asked myself if I ever wanted to play it...because that was probably as cheap as it was going to get. So, I've got games from 4-5 years ago that I haven't even touched. This could easily keep me occupied for several years. Admittedly, I think part of my reluctance to move on to the next generation has to do with my age. When I think about today's 12-16 year olds, they're not going to care about games made in *gasp* 2009. So, the next generation will probably literally appeal to the next generation. But the prices of these fancy consoles still has to meet what parents in 2013 are willing to pay when you consider the alternatives.

If they new systems do come out when they say the will, I wouldn't be surprised if EA releases their sports games on them. If they will benefit from being on the new systems is another question. Knowing EA they will just port them over and maybe add some extra mode that isn't even worth it.

[quote name='sendme']If they new systems do come out when they say the will, I wouldn't be surprised if EA releases their sports games on them. If they will benefit from being on the new systems is another question. Knowing EA they will just port them over and maybe add some extra mode that isn't even worth it.[/QUOTE]

If it was like the 06 games, like MVP mentioned, they'll probably have less features, haha. I don't doubt they'll be ported over. But I do doubt that they'll be any good. The 06 games were better on PS2/Xbox than they were on PS3/360.

My wife wanted a Wii so I got it maybe a year after release? Don't remember but it was still somewhat hard to find.

Xbox in September of '07 and got a PS3 when Superbad came out on Blu-Ray cause I no longer wanted to spend money on DVDs.

It would be nice if EA does port to 720/PS4 that they had some sort of cross play...like PS3 could play Ps4 people. Doubtful to say the least, but you never know. I can play Dice with Buddies on Android with people on iOS ;)

I think you're asking to much on that one. Hell just a port that takes advantage of the hardware of the next gen is asking to much.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']http://youtu.be/L6tggtJBe7c[/QUOTE]

Ok, is it just me or is anybody else getting from that that basically all hits are going to be like hip checks now? Where you could barely clip a guy (or sometimes miss him) and send him flying. There was a lot of knee to knee contact in that video that just sent guys airborn. I can totally see how that's going to be like Fifa and Madden...but I can guarantee it's going to cause crazy, ridiculous animations. At least they'll be hilarious though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok, is it just me or is anybody else getting from that that basically all hits are going to be like hip checks now? Where you could barely clip a guy (or sometimes miss him) and send him flying. There was a lot of knee to knee contact in that video that just sent guys airborn. I can totally see how that's going to be like Fifa and Madden...but I can guarantee it's going to cause crazy, ridiculous animations. At least they'll be hilarious though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vulcan2422']A lot of those would be a good two game suspensions.[/QUOTE]

I was just coming into here to post that video and say the exact same thing.

There were a ton of knee on knee hits there and just awkward falls. The fall somewhat towards the end where the guy gets brushed against on the side and doesn't fall back or to either side, but forward onto his hands. I can understand forward momentum, but it really looked like the hit missed all together.

I spent way too much time with this...

IN the trailer:
00:34 "NHL Collision Physics now takes player's size, speed, momentum, and body positioning into account, to deliver more realistic hits"

Whoa, deja vu.

Hm.......

NHL11
:20
"With NHL 11's new physics engine, the game no longer scripts hits with predetermined animations. Not only will your big hits and small bumps alike take into account player ratings, but also size and the speed at which you make contact with the other player."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCV2iU68sX8

NHL12
:19
"What I' wanna show you here is a little of the substance of what you're gonna see game in and game out of NHL12, where the size of players, physicality of players, the momentum of players, really matter in every single collision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaz0gvjyCh8

NHL13
36:40
"The great thing about the physics is... its real world physics. What we do is we don't make physics for hockey, what we do is we just model what happened in the real world and apply it to hockey. So a person a person going at top end speed, that is...you know... 6'3", 6'4", 250, is going to pretty much run over anything in it's patch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge2LfVdMdvU

I spent way too much time with this...

IN the trailer:
00:34 "NHL Collision Physics now takes player's size, speed, momentum, and body positioning into account, to deliver more realistic hits"

Whoa, deja vu.

Hm.......

NHL11
:20
"With NHL 11's new physics engine, the game no longer scripts hits with predetermined animations. Not only will your big hits and small bumps alike take into account player ratings, but also size and the speed at which you make contact with the other player."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCV2iU68sX8

NHL12
:19
"What I' wanna show you here is a little of the substance of what you're gonna see game in and game out of NHL12, where the size of players, physicality of players, the momentum of players, really matter in every single collision.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaz0gvjyCh8

NHL13
36:30
"The great thing about the physics is... its real world physics. What we do is we don't make physics for hockey, what we do is we just model what happened in the real world and apply it to hockey. So a person a person going at top end speed, that is...you know... 6'3", 6'4", 250, is going to pretty much run over anything in it's path"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge2LfVdMdvU

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO...bravo, Alan! Bravo! :applause: You should go post that on EA's NHL forum.

That has to be pretty much solid proof that EA doesn't have a fucking clue what they're doing. 4 years in a row that size was supposed to make a difference...and they still haven't gotten it even close to right. UNREAL. Like I said, at least this year's game should provide some hilarious animations. They won't resemble anything close to real life, but I always thought the ragdoll hitting was damn hilarious (it's just too bad they ruined the replays with 13). And again, I don't really care how a guy falls as long as he goes down when he should and doesn't go down when he shouldn't. Besides, once you've coded a guy to get launched into the stratosphere, how much worse can it get? lol :lol:

herculescheck.jpg

I would put it as a new topic, but I would probably get banned. :X
I did post it in the thread for the new trailer, the post was largely ignored.

But I did realize this: It's like McDonalds, but worse. With the McRib, you know its coming back every year, and they always advertise "The McRib is back!"
At least McDonalds actually stops selling it, but EA leaves it in the game and pitches it as something new.

[quote name='The Developer Who Cried Wolf']NHL 14 will see five gameplay changes as a result of community feedback. The ideas revolve around collision types as well as penalty occurances. In the past, if penalties were called at all, the majority were just tripping. In NHL 14, the game will see stricter interference calls, better logic towards boarding and checking from behind (thanks to the new Collision Physics Engine), and charging calls as well. Noting that speed and momentum matter, the types of hits thrown and more incidental contact are also a direct product from the new engine. Goalie collisions will improve as direct reactions to hits and improved logic involving interference calls will make the crease more important in ’14.[/QUOTE]

We will see. We will see, EA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back