Official NHL Not 15 (14) Discussion/CAG Team Thread - Headsets On Pants Off! New Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that a play like below will make the game self destruct with the "new" physics engine and "stricter interference calls".

[youtube]PCh3pwjrxv4[/youtube]

53 second mark left side of the screen.

Obviously I this was just a case of both players unaware and not looking ahead. You know it's going to happen in 14, but I'm just wondering how the game will handle it. My bet is if they are stricter it will somehow end up being 5 minute majors on both goalies. After all, that's the EA way. :D

What makes me nervous is this new left stick checking system that is just based on your speed. Maybe it'll end up being a good thing, but what it's going to create is players having to be more aware and watch where they're skating...since just skating into somebody now is going to generate a hit. Honestly, with this system, I don't even know how you could ever have the camera focused on the puck.

Plus, when you factor in EA's weird system of suctioning toward a particular player, I could just see bad things happening, lol. At least they're saying there's going to be more penalties. I'd rather adjust to pulling back the intensity, rather than just hitting everything that moves and assume there's not going to be a call (ala NHL 13). Should be interesting though.

I just hope they allow my friend and I went doing unranked friendly games that we are able to make it continuous overtime and not the stupid shootout. So dumb that we can't edit it just being a friendly match.

Just saw Amazon has their pre-order bonus up. I'm actually kind of surprised they're giving so much away (although, as we all know, HUT packs are pretend value...not like it costs them anything). I wonder if this means EA games won't be getting the $10-$15 promo credit this year.

[quote name='Amazon.com']Pre-order and Get Amazon Exclusive Bonuses and the EA Sports Ultimate Pass
Pre-order NHL 14 and get the Amazon exclusive Warrior Player Pack and the official CCM Player Pack. Each features custom equipment and boost items to give your Be A Pro and EASHL created players that extra edge. Also, all pre-orders get the EA Sports Ultimate Pass. Kick start your team with 24 HUT Gold Packs. Access codes will be emailed within two business days after your order ships. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Limited to one per customer order. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE terms of use.[/QUOTE]

Surprised nobody posted this yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJd6-9I2oM

As leery as I am of EA enhancing the deking system, this doesn't LOOK terrible. The main thing is whether or not they finally follow through with size/speed/attributes/etc. actually making a difference. If someone wants to max out their speed/agility/deking so they can be quicker and move more smoothly, they should be able to. But it shouldn't defy physics. If a well-timed deke can move them out of the way of physical contact, that's one thing. But it shouldn't allow them to walk through big defensive defensemen with maxed out body checking/strength/aggression. As long as you can still lay these dangle masters out and put them on their back, then the game still has some semblance of balance.

Not crazy about one-touch deke's. Seems like it's just making things easier for people. As for the rest....we'll see. I hope EA proves me wrong, but let's be honest, if I had a nickel for every time I said that, I'd be able to make my own hockey game.

[quote name='jza1218']Not crazy about one-touch deke's. Seems like it's just making things easier for people. As for the rest....we'll see. I hope EA proves me wrong, but let's be honest, if I had a nickel for every time I said that, I'd be able to make my own hockey game.[/QUOTE]

I just feel like as long as they deliver on what they've been promising, that hitting will be improved, excessive deking shouldn't be an issue. I guess it will affect stick lifts and poke checks...but it kind of does now anyway. Ultimately, we shouldn't have to be fearful of someone wanting to be 5'9", 170lbs because you should be able to blow on them and send them flying. I think we can adjust for speed the same way we adjust to people who just want to cherry pick all game. But yeah, when it creates new exploits and renders the tools that the more "blue collar" type of players have at their disposal useless, then yeah...you get a broken game. But like you said, promises, promises, haha.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']They promised it today, otherwise I would have.

I love when they show problems with 13. Oh you don't say?![/QUOTE]

Gary, I hope you noticed the "strafing" in the video.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Gary, I hope you noticed the "strafing" in the video.[/QUOTE]

I only like when the net strafes on us when we hit the post.

Hmm...the fighting doesn't actually seem terrible...unlike how CAG looks right now, lol.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMxd8W6r3hA[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than the celebrations at the end I like the fighting.  Glad to see that you can see the rest of the team and that they may fight also.  I would love to see boosted stats if you win and maybe a small decrease in stats if you loose for the team.  

I like how a fight can break out organically, but I hope it doesn't get exploitable so that big hits wil constantly lead to fights

I like how a fight can break out organically, but I hope it doesn't get exploitable so that big hits wil constantly lead to fights
Well, they could still put the 3 fight limit in. It wouldn't necessarily be realistic, but it would prevent annoying shit from happening, lol. And I'll sacrifice a bit of reality to keep from being aggravated all to hell.

In the last picture of the bottom link, why does everyone look bored out of their mind, despite a big hit happening right there? Also, why are they all looking to the left, when the puck is clearly to the right of the picture?

In the last picture of the bottom link, why does everyone look bored out of their mind, despite a big hit happening right there? Also, why are they all looking to the left, when the puck is clearly to the right of the picture?
They are the "hockey experts" EA uses for their games. Some one probably got Hercules checked at the other end of the rink behind the play.

I'm a bit upset this is not being released on the XBOX ONE.  I plan on selling my 360, so I guess it means I will sit out NHL games this year.  Oh well.  The one time I would actually care about BC.

It does seem odd that this is not coming out next gen.  I remember seeing the other sports games from EA were.  I wonder if they are going to hold off a few months after 14 comes out then announce it for the next gen.

It does seem odd that this is not coming out next gen. I remember seeing the other sports games from EA were. I wonder if they are going to hold off a few months after 14 comes out then announce it for the next gen.
I believe they said it was NOT coming out at all on NEXT GEN this year, and they will focus for next year

Not positive, but it sounded like the current-gen vs next gen for the sports games that are coming out for both are using too separate engines... The new Ignite for the next, and whatever the current is for 360/PS3.

EDIT: Just tried to do some research... This is from the 360 Version of Madden 25 on Gamestop's website:

Infinity Engine 2 - Year 2 of the award-winning Infinity Engine brings both a more polished physics simulation and introduces the all-new Force Impact System. Power moves including the Hit Stick, Truck, dive tackle and more have been completely redesigned to harness the full potential of Infinity Engine 2, giving you more control over the outcome of a play than ever before.
Double post because apparently once you edit a post and add a quote it's really hard (or impossible) to add more text not in a quote. Haha... So apparently a double post just merges the two posts in the new format... Kind of cool.

The more I look I'm more convinced that next gen versions are completely different. There is another article saying that the next-gen engine doesn't support PC or WiiU (and probably not 360 or PS3). Every article seems to refer to "Ignite" as a next-gen engine.

I guess this really brings up a couple things...

1) How much of a difference will we end up with between the next-gen games and the current-gen games (in regards to the games that are coming out for both)? I wonder if EA is going to screw up the next-gen like they did in the first versions of previous generations like we talked about before.

2) This could be good in regards to NHL, since this means (hopefully) it will be more polished since they didn't have devs working on two completely different games.

• EA Canada says its spent a lot of time working on the AI and systems to make sure the core gameplay experience on top of the new features continues to improve.
I feel like we've heard this before...

• EA Canada hasn't made any tweaks to the faceoff mechanics for NHL 14, though they are making it easier to win draws on lower skill levels.
Spamming will continue...yay. Glad they don't think it's an issue.

Just reading all of it makes me think it will be NHL 13 Beta now. Only thing changed is fighting and "supposedly" hitting. No new goal  celebrations or facial emotions when somebody scores. Meh, I might wait it out as I got NHL 13 Stanley Cup edition for $40. 

Honestly, I'll be completely dumbfounded if it's worse than 13. Unless the tweaks they're making to the hitting and deking just completely open up new exploits (which is possible), there has to at least be marginal improvements from where things were left with 13 (the last tuner set was from 12/4...which is before we all traded in the game). They specifically mention more penalties being called for boarding and interference. Those were two HUGE problems in my opinion. They also talk about improving passing to make it easier to lead teammates. That should also improve the experience since we all had times where the puck would just go off randomly in the wrong direction. Defensemen being quicker to react and pivot should also be an improvement.

They claim the AI will be better. They claim the puck physics will be better. We hear that every year. I'm not counting on either. My modest expectation is for them to not get any worse (too much to ask?). In general, it would make sense for NHL 14 to be better since it'll be the second game using the new skating engine. They should have a better grasp on how it works and know how to better utilize it this year. The key word in all of this is "should". At the end of the day though, buying 14 is just a logical move for me. The servers for 12 will likely be shut down and I know what 13 has to offer. And it's a game I could be playing for 2 years if I decide to not get a XB1/PS4 right away. I'm hoping that it will be an improvement for the series, but mostly, it's just a gateway for being able to continue playing CAG hockey for the next little while.

And if it doesn't suck monkey tits that would be a nice bonus...

I really wish they wouldn't ignore EASHL in the previews. It always plays totally different from the regular game.
I'm sure they'd have an excuse that the online servers aren't ready / there's no way to test it. But it begs the question of why EASHL needs to play differently at all. I still don't understand what difference it makes if people play with teams of 6. I'd rather they force matching club size if they're concerned with one team having an "advantage" because they have more AI players. It's weird that that question seems to never get answered though. The only thing you ever see is "play with 6!!!!!"

Latest tuner update was actually from February, It tones down the goalies a lot and ups the ai. I know that 8 out of 10 times a 2 on 0 breakaway, the goalie would not make it over fast enough. Im starting to enjoy 13 :gasp:! When the demo comes out, we'll see.

Latest tuner update was actually from February, It tones down the goalies a lot and ups the ai. I know that 8 out of 10 times a 2 on 0 breakaway, the goalie would not make it over fast enough. Im starting to enjoy 13 :gasp:! When the demo comes out, we'll see.
Really? They didn't post about it? Damn...how lazy can they be? lol

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8976019.page

I also stumbled across an interesting thread talking about what determines the AI's skill in EASHL. Wouldn't surprise me if this is true.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9575742.page

I still have it if you want to play.

That, and Cry of Fear :whistle2:\"

Also, TF2 is in Surgeon Simulator now, so that means you have to get it now :p

Saw that today and I immediately thought, "Vulcan will be happy." I remember when you traded him in the season you said that you wanted him gone.
Ha Ha! Tampa freed up almost 7 million. If they bought out Eric Brewer, I would be over joyed. My facebook blew up when it happened, Two of the 60 were happy he is now gone. I am as well. They can bring in Jagr for one year at 1 mill (he loves the game that much that thats his salary cause he just wants to play) and STILL have cap space!

Oh yeah, Cover comes out tomorrow, but E3 spoiled it already anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back