Official NHL Not 15 (14) Discussion/CAG Team Thread - Headsets On Pants Off! New Team!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on playstation, but I was surprised that some of you liked the beta so much.  I was a regular at playing goalie in the older EASHL modes, and I have to say the goalie controls are just terrible and way to complicated for what it is.  Honestly in the older version I never used precision control because I felt that the goalie moved to little side to side that being out of position was easy.  The regular movement was perfect to stay square.  No the precision controls are a bit better, But not enough and I don't want to have to hold down a button the whole time.  The regular movement is WAY too much that there really isn't a reason to use it, even in desperation mode, it goes to far.  The hug the post is insanely horrible, as even holding the buttons I couldn't get my guy to hug the post right or move side to side.  

I am extremely disappointed with the way it controls and won't be doing much in EASHl when it's released.

I'm on playstation, but I was surprised that some of you liked the beta so much. I was a regular at playing goalie in the older EASHL modes, and I have to say the goalie controls are just terrible and way to complicated for what it is. Honestly in the older version I never used precision control because I felt that the goalie moved to little side to side that being out of position was easy. The regular movement was perfect to stay square. No the precision controls are a bit better, But not enough and I don't want to have to hold down a button the whole time. The regular movement is WAY too much that there really isn't a reason to use it, even in desperation mode, it goes to far. The hug the post is insanely horrible, as even holding the buttons I couldn't get my guy to hug the post right or move side to side.

I am extremely disappointed with the way it controls and won't be doing much in EASHl when it's released.
Yeah, I haven't played goalie myself (rarely ever do)...but in playing with the others, I've heard how bad the controls are. And I agree, it's dumb for EA to think people can just drift freely with "precision controls" when you consider how long it takes to stop your momentum and go back the other way in this game.

Playing last night with the new tuner, in general, some things felt better (or maybe I was just trying to see the good things). Specifically, this is my good and bad list so far.

Good:

Set Player Classes - No more 50 balance/99 speed players...however, this is only relevant assuming there are no other exploits

Positional Defense Actually Gets Rewarded - I noticed a decent number of times where being in the right spot finally made a difference. There's a specific animation for knocking down a pass now. So, instead of having to poke check and pray that your timing is right/person doesn't have 99 passing and the puck clips through your stick, you can break up a play by actually understanding defense and being in the right spot. This is long overdue and hopefully whiners on the forums don't get it changed back to the old way.

Variety Of Goals - I haven't been seeing the same goals every time. Sometimes the goalie will miss a slapshot, sometimes a crosser will work, sometimes you can snipe from the slot. But it doesn't seem to be every time. Could just be a small sample size and people not having figured out the "go to" spot yet.

Bad:

Still Not Enough Penalties - People play way too aggressively because they continually get away with it. I do think there are more calls than in previous games (the reason we've seen as many as we have). But it's still not enough to make people scale back their hitting on the boards (no misconducts), their pokecheck spamming from behind (the success rate of knocking the puck away cleanly from 5 feet behind somebody skating at full speed is truly retarded), and their ramming of the goalie when crashing for a rebound.

It still feels like EA is afraid to make people learn to play legitimately here because they know most of their target audience doesn't have the patience.

Cherry Pickers Still Prosper - Douchebags who refuse to help out and play defense still don't pay a high enough price. Their goalies will still make save after save while they're standing at center ice or beyond. I still want to see goalie composure or some kind of teamplay attribute that increases the other team's chance of scoring. Again...EA seems unwilling to target the people who choose to play the game wrong.

Faceoffs - I always struggle with whether it's just me or not, but seeing (and hearing) MVP play center last night, he had the same issues I do. Faceoffs really feel almost predetermined. Sometimes you'll win 15 in a row...then all of a sudden, you can't win one the rest of the game. I refuse to believe that the other player just magically figured out how to beat you or that your ability got worse.

I guess lag could explain some of it, but the way it changes from period to period just seems odd. But the timing never feels consistent. And it doesn't really feel back and forth either. It feels like you have a turn to win some...then they have a turn to win some. This is highlighted by the times where I try to tie up and can't do anything...or the times where you don't do anything and end up "winning" the faceoff. Half the time, I feel like I'm just guessing when I take a draw. And it's probably been this way since NHL 13.

Good and Bad:

Poke Check - Don't get me wrong, it's great that it works and that defensively, you have a chance against people trying to dangle through the slot. But if EA can't determine its effectiveness situationally, then it probably hurts more than it helps. And since you can play positional defense now and/or use left stick hitting to knock people off the puck better than in the past, people shouldn't need to rely on poke check as the only means of playing defense (though we have been conditioned to play this way thanks to the shitty programming from previous games). Again, since penalties don't happen often enough and the chance of success is so high, people are way too aggressive with this.

Are you guys planning on getting jiggy with it tonight?
Yes. I'll be on around 9PM CT. And if we have a full boat, we can rotate people in and out. I'll have Rocket League on standby, haha.

Also, has anybody done the EASHL Beta survey yet? They have this listed in the section where you select which attributes you felt your player was strong in:

Passing Accuracy (Sending Passes)

Defensive Awareness (Receiving long passes)

Offensive Awareness (Passes off-screen)
WTF???

And for today's triple post, haha...I just realized how freaky the timing of this Patrick Kane situation is. His cab driver assault incident was on August 9th, 2009...one month prior to NHL 10's release...which had Patrick Kane on the cover. Dude can't freaking stay out of trouble when he's about to be massively promoted. Assault wasn't enough to get him off the cover. I guess we'll find out if rape is.

Last edited by a moderator:
And for today's triple post, haha...I just realized how freaky the timing of this Patrick Kane situation is. His cab driver assault incident was on August 9th, 2009...one month prior to NHL 10's release...which had Patrick Kane on the cover. Dude can't freaking stay out of trouble when he's about to be massively promoted. Assault wasn't enough to get him off the cover. I guess we'll find out if rape is.
Well I hate the cover, so here's to hoping. I mean heatley got pulled from the cover after his incident and I believe that was even closer to launch since his cover released and then was pulled?

2n7pqad.jpg

With Nate waiting a month or so, I'm not sure I'll be preordering. The other reason? After releasing NHL 15 on the same day as Destiny last year, EA is putting out NHL 16 on the same day as Destiny: The Taken King.

Haha, man, I can't handle influencing everybody's purchasing decisions.

hhPh01p.gif

Seriously, though...I'm still somewhat torn. I feel like I'm 30% yes / 70% no right now. That last night we played (Sunday night, I think)...I finally tried out Power Forward at Center, and it was retarded the difference it made. All of a sudden I was winning faceoffs with ease, wasn't knocked off the puck as easily, had a hard shot, could hit, etc. We ran a 3 Power Forward line in our last game...and just wrecked the other team.

It made the game really fun...but it also basically just highlights EA's inability to program a balanced game. Of course, it's easy to enjoy a game when you're winning...but losing because the other team has cracked the code for getting every advantage is really lame. We'll see if we find out about any changes made before launch.

The other thing that could heavily influence me is if Best Buy does a trade in deal with 15 like they're doing for Madden. I think that would be a really good move for them as people could symbolically get rid of their shitty excuse for a game from last year and pick up the new one at a nice discount. Probably means it won't happen though, haha.

I have quit Destiny. So NHL it is for me as well Rob! Paying it off tomorrow and canceling my Taken King pre order.

It's a very different game from when it first released. Not that I didn't like it then. I plan to continue playing Destiny on PS4 even after getting NHL 16 for Xbox One.

That makes the healing a little better. I played all the way up to where they announced the special emblem for everybody that did everything. I have that emblem, I have all exotics, I have a lot of the legendaries. There is not a single thing I want from the Taken King dlc. I have just grown bored of it. You can only do so many Skolas, Crota Hard mode and Vault of Glass raids before you get bored of it.

All right...let's up it to 40% yes / 60% no now that Kane's been kicked off the cover, haha.

Honestly, I would be bullshitting myself if I said I was just going to "skip NHL this year'. The real question is just when and how I get it. Ultimately, I want to give EA as little money as possible, haha. So, if that's only $30 thanks to a good deal at launch or $0 by getting it used from Gamestop 2-4 weeks later, it'll make me feel better about their continual half-assed effort. Either way, they're sure as hell not getting $60 from me.

Wow...that was an amazing save. I've attempted to do something like this probably 5-6 times. I've failed horrifically each time though, of course, haha. :lol:

I've started playing ranked matches because I'm sick of people quitting out of the unranked ones. And at the end of a game, people leave the lobby practically every time now too. So, what's happening more and more is you get put into a game already in progress because there are so many with AI in them.

At least with ranked, if you quit, you can't start another ranked game for 15 minutes (a pretty awesome policy, I think).

Wow...that was an amazing save. I've attempted to do something like this probably 5-6 times. I've failed horrifically each time though, of course, haha. :lol:

I've started playing ranked matches because I'm sick of people quitting out of the unranked ones. And at the end of a game, people leave the lobby practically every time now too. So, what's happening more and more is you get put into a game already in progress because there are so many with AI in them.

At least with ranked, if you quit, you can't start another ranked game for 15 minutes (a pretty awesome policy, I think).
What, you mean penalizing people rank points for quitting may not work :lol:

Just tagged you guys when I shared this on Facebook (hey look, Gary just commented) but in case the rest of you come here first or if you are Alan:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/08/12/patrick-kane-dropped-from-nhl-16-cover
Just tagged you guys when I shared this on Facebook (hey look, Gary just commented) but in case the rest of you come here first or if you are Alan:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2015/08/12/patrick-kane-dropped-from-nhl-16-cover
Wow, EA is making an update to their game? *rimshot*

I hope that Epic Save was just spammed over and over and gave the guy 1 billion XP

So, NHL 14 tonight? Wonder how weird it's going to be going back after playing so much of the 16 beta. I guess it'll show us which one we like more, haha.

Really great BundleStars bundle just went up today, featuring The Hunter: Primal (the hunting sim with dinosaurs and co-op), A Story About My Uncle, The Silent Age, Lemma, and others.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle-4/

It hurts that I paid close to full price for The Hunter: Primal (well, early access full price anyway) and only have played it a few times...but maybe someone else will buy it and we can re-enact Jurassic Park: The Lost World together, haha. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back