Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

[quote name='icedrake523']Is the GST as bad as it was in Diamond and Pearl?

Yeah, I'll give a level 100 Darkrai for a Starly...[/QUOTE]

Ha! I've noticed you can get anything you want for almost anything if you are patient, such as trading baby starter pokemon for legendaries or other hard to get pokemon.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Kinda annoying thing about the guides for this game:

There are two separate guides, each covering the two game regions.

Johto Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Heart...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268680108&sr=1-1

Kanto Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Heart...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268680108&sr=1-2

It's kind of funny that the Kanto guide won't be released until mid-April. I guess it gives gamers time to just get to Kanto. Probably going to be very confusing for plenty of folks later just wanting to get the guide. They'll totally accidentally buy the Kanto guide, even when they're first starting the game.[/QUOTE]

It's hard to see in the image, but there's a "Vol. 1" on the spine and the top right corner of the Johto Guide. The Kanto Guide is volume 2. Would've been nice to get one big guide like Platinum instead of two seperate books like Diamond and Pearl.

[quote name='62t']ok my mistake. Looks like you get GTS by 4th gym. You can trade as soon as you get a friend code[/QUOTE]

No Wi-Fi trading until the 4th gym? I seem to remember you got it a whole lot faster in Platinum...

Seeing that I got the radio card ingame and a DSi, I wish the developer could've included an option to listen to music in my SD card for this. But that would've driven up the price I guess.

[quote name='Masterkyo']my job is walking all the times. I don't need my DS or turn on my DS when i have pokewalker with me?[/QUOTE]

No, not at all. You of course need to register your DS for the first time. You do this by transferring a pokemon from your PC into the pokewalker for the first time.

You can only transfer pokemon that are in your PC so if you want to transfer a pokemon in your party, make sure to put him in the PC first.

Then you just walk, you can turn off your DS after that. Depending on the route you chose is which pokemon will appear.

Each step you take adds on to the pedometer, the higher number of steps the better chance of running into the rare pokemon as well as getting better items in that area.

Every 20 steps is equal to a watt. You can use watts for 3 things:

a) 10 w to use the pokeradar. This gives you a chance to encounter a pokemon.
b) 3 w to use the dowsing MCHN. This allows you to try to find items.
c) Save the watts and transfer them to your DS. This will open up more routes.

Say you transfer your pokemon and you forgot to put any in your pokewalker, you can still use it. You can still gain watts, and even a wild pokemon could essentially join your party just cause he seemed to like you.

Then with the wild pokemon you can capture pokemon as with your regular caught pokemon. You can even transfer the wild pokemon to your DS afterwards.

Just bought the game from Gamestop before class. Can't wait until 3:15 when I get out of class and load this game up. I love the idea of the pokewalker, really glad they included it with this game.

I like the idea of the pokewalker, but it would make a lot more sense if the game was a console based, and I couldn't already carry it around in my pocket...

I guess I should look at some more info on the pokewalker before the game arrives tomorrow. I do a lot of running, so I hope to build up a lot of watts, but from what I've read you battle pokemon as you gain watts. I sure as hell won't be able to keep checking the pokewalker and battle while I am running, so I definitely need to find clarification on that. Guess I'll hit up Serebii.

[quote name='Ryukahn']I guess I should look at some more info on the pokewalker before the game arrives tomorrow. I do a lot of running, so I hope to build up a lot of watts, but from what I've read you battle pokemon as you gain watts. I sure as hell won't be able to keep checking the pokewalker and battle while I am running, so I definitely need to find clarification on that. Guess I'll hit up Serebii.[/QUOTE]

It's not like that-- and you'll also be relieved to know you can turn the sound off (been carrying mine in my pocket at work). Basically, you earn watts as you walk-- 1 watt for every 20 steps (some pokemon favor certain courses and earn more watts than normal).

You then can use the Watts to play games. 3 Watts to try to find an item hidden in some bushes, 10 watts to go look for a wild pokemon, etc. It isn't something that just flashes up on the screen and has to be addressed immediately.

Supposedly, the more watts you have, the more likely you are to find rare items/pokemon.

You can let it all build up until the end of the day and just fight over and over again.

[quote name='nbballard']It's not like that-- and you'll also be relieved to know you can turn the sound off (been carrying mine in my pocket at work). Basically, you earn watts as you walk-- 1 watt for every 20 steps (some pokemon favor certain courses and earn more watts than normal).

You then can use the Watts to play games. 3 Watts to try to find an item hidden in some bushes, 10 watts to go look for a wild pokemon, etc. It isn't something that just flashes up on the screen and has to be addressed immediately.

Supposedly, the more watts you have, the more likely you are to find rare items/pokemon.

You can let it all build up until the end of the day and just fight over and over again.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for clarifying, as Serebii wasn't very clear on it.

I need to stop visiting this thread...I started playing Platinum again and whenever I read this thread I just think "Dude go buy a copy."

This probably isn't the best place, but I'm not sure how active the Platinum thread is anymore, but why is Monferno soooooooooo weak? I got him as an egg from SL4IN and leveled him up to 33 like the rest of my team, but damn, he get's KOed in 1 shot more than anyone in the party. I haven't checked, but are his Special Defense stats just terrible? Even my other guys don't get KOed in 1 shot unless they're facing a similar level Pokemon that is strong against their type.

Also current team is:

Gyrados
Alakazam
Torterra
Monferno
Staravia
Luxray

All level 33 or 34, any suggestions or ideas to strengthen the team? I'm currently on my way to Solcean Town and about 20 hours in.

Monferno's defense is lower compare to the other starters. Plus he is a fighting and fire so he will take double damage from some attack

Question about the pokewalker. If I transfer a pokemon back to the game and it gains a level, does it learn the ability at that level of course if there is one? Like if pidgey learns x move at lvl 5 and it gets to 5 at my pokewalker. Does it learn it when I transfer it back?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I need to stop visiting this thread...I started playing Platinum again and whenever I read this thread I just think "Dude go buy a copy."

This probably isn't the best place, but I'm not sure how active the Platinum thread is anymore, but why is Monferno soooooooooo weak? I got him as an egg from SL4IN and leveled him up to 33 like the rest of my team, but damn, he get's KOed in 1 shot more than anyone in the party. I haven't checked, but are his Special Defense stats just terrible? Even my other guys don't get KOed in 1 shot unless they're facing a similar level Pokemon that is strong against their type.

Also current team is:

Gyrados
Alakazam
Torterra
Monferno
Staravia
Luxray

All level 33 or 34, any suggestions or ideas to strengthen the team? I'm currently on my way to Solcean Town and about 20 hours in.[/QUOTE]

Your team looks pretty good to me. The Chimchar line is all about offense, and has little defense. You definitely don't want to lead with it and really only want to swap it in when you know you will attack first and be super-effective.

Is it weird that I play these games and have no interest in the competitive aspects? I mean, most of the time, I just super power my characters to the point where I can't lose, and play through the game that way.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Your team looks pretty good to me. The Chimchar line is all about offense, and has little defense. You definitely don't want to lead with it and really only want to swap it in when you know you will attack first and be super-effective.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll have to change the way I play then. Whatever Pokemon I want to level up at the time, I lead with it and keep with it until a battle is over.

I was unsure if I wanted Alakazam on the team, or a Gengar potentially...thoughts? Though with Gengar, I'd have to ask someone to trade with me so I could get a level 1 Ghastly, as the one I have is 21.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question about the pokewalker. If I transfer a pokemon back to the game and it gains a level, does it learn the ability at that level of course if there is one? Like if pidgey learns x move at lvl 5 and it gets to 5 at my pokewalker. Does it learn it when I transfer it back?[/QUOTE]

That I am not sure, I have not tried it yet. I do know for example if a pokemon evolves at a certain level, it will not evolve in the pokewalker nor will it evolve once transferred. So evolving will not work...not safe to assume that the move will not be learned.

As of right now I am assuming what would happen if you leave the pokemon at the daycare with moves. It will learn it, but you don't get to choose which one gets forgotten. I mean there always will be a guy who can reteach them anything they've missed, but can't say 100% if they learn it or what...at least not yet.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']That I am not sure, I have not tried it yet. I do know for example if a pokemon evolves at a certain level, it will not evolve in the pokewalker nor will it evolve once transferred. So evolving will not work...not safe to assume that the move will not be learned.

As of right now I am assuming what would happen if you leave the pokemon at the daycare with moves. It will learn it, but you don't get to choose which one gets forgotten. I mean there always will be a guy who can reteach them anything they've missed, but can't say 100% if they learn it or what...at least not yet.[/QUOTE]
WHAT :cry: that's lame

I don't think it's that bad. I mean it would be great for low level pokemon to evolve as well, but you can always check their experience points before hand. Transfer them walk and keep an eye on your steps, when you are close transfer him back and then with one fight he should get his level and then evolve without a problem.

As you get higher level pokemons it will probably take you more steps than you normally would do, so it would not affect it that much.

I guess that's the only way around it.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']I don't think it's that bad. I mean it would be great for low level pokemon to evolve as well, but you can always check their experience points before hand. Transfer them walk and keep an eye on your steps, when you are close transfer him back and then with one fight he should get his level and then evolve without a problem.

As you get higher level pokemons it will probably take you more steps than you normally would do, so it would not affect it that much.

I guess that's the only way around it.[/QUOTE]

While I don't think that is "lame", I do think that it is an issue that GameFreak should have resolved before releasing the game. If it becomes mandatory that you check your exp. before you send one of your Pokemon to the Pokewalker and hope to hell it doesn't try to evolve, then that may deter many from using the Pokewalker.

Sure, there is an easy solution to this slight problem, but the solution probably isn't so easy for a young person wanting to play Pokemon.

That's not the issue, the issue is people wanting for the pokemon to evolve. The pokemon will not evolve even if it reaches the needed level in the pokewalker.

So no one has to worry about it evolving. When I said to check the exp of your pokemon is so you can return it to your game so it will have just a few exp before it levels up. That way you can level it up and evolve it at the same time. Otherwise it will just gain its normal level when you transfer it back to your game, but will not evolve.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Thanks. I'll have to change the way I play then. Whatever Pokemon I want to level up at the time, I lead with it and keep with it until a battle is over.

I was unsure if I wanted Alakazam on the team, or a Gengar potentially...thoughts? Though with Gengar, I'd have to ask someone to trade with me so I could get a level 1 Ghastly, as the one I have is 21.[/QUOTE]

Gengar is the superior choice, though for just going through the game Alakazam isn't bad. Base stats, Alakazam is a little higher (not by much), but Gengar has a superior moveset when looking at just the level up moves. Alakazam gets hit for Super Effective damage (SED) by 3 attack types, while Gengar gets hit by 4 types. Gengar, however, has a much better resist coverage. Both are also frail. Alakazam only learns psychic type moves by leveling up, making him pretty limited, and ultimately his downfall for the regular game. Again though, just for the main game Alakazam is fine, but Gengar is definitely superior if you don't mind leveling another pokemon.

Also, why do you need a level 1 Ghastly?

Yeah. I beat the first gym in under 2 hours and I've not been rushing through; I've raised my Cyndaquil, Pidgey, and Zubat up to level 11+ each. I've caught everyone pokemon I've encountered except Sentret.

However, it makes sense since there's a ton to do after the Elite 4. The other games, there's barely anything.

BTW, you can trade after you get the first gym badge.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Gengar is the superior choice, though for just going through the game Alakazam isn't bad. Base stats, Alakazam is a little higher (not by much), but Gengar has a superior moveset when looking at just the level up moves. Alakazam gets hit for Super Effective damage (SED) by 3 attack types, while Gengar gets hit by 4 types. Gengar, however, has a much better resist coverage. Both are also frail. Alakazam only learns psychic type moves by leveling up, making him pretty limited, and ultimately his downfall for the regular game. Again though, just for the main game Alakazam is fine, but Gengar is definitely superior if you don't mind leveling another pokemon.

Also, why do you need a level 1 Ghastly?[/QUOTE]

Or the lowest leveled Ghastly possible...I like to train my Pokemon from the lowest levels possible so they can have the highest stats possible. I may just suck it up and Fly back to that one city and go to the Haunted mansion with the TV where you get that one special Pokemon. Anyways, I don't mean to derail the thread any further.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I want a Pokewalker holder, but I can't find anything except the one that comes as part of the Wal-mart bundle.[/QUOTE]

This pokewalker is really bringing out all the pokenerds out there. My friend works at a movie theater and she was messing with her pokewalker then other of her co-workers were like "Oh here's mine". 6 people had it on them even some people she never imagined would play pokemon.

Though the holder at walmart looked cool (at least to me), just show your little pokewalker out with pride! :D You never know, might meet someone who would connect with you for a gift

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']This pokewalker is really bringing out all the pokenerds out there. My friend works at a movie theater and she was messing with her pokewalker then other of her co-workers were like "Oh here's mine". 6 people had it on them even some people she never imagined would play pokemon.[/QUOTE]

With my luck, I'll be shopping in Wal-mart, check on mine, and some 5 year old will dash towards me wanting to link up. ;)

Heading out to meet my husband for lunch and run a few errands. My good friend Chocobo the level 8 Pidgey is coming out with me.

I love this thing.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Or the lowest leveled Ghastly possible...I like to train my Pokemon from the lowest levels possible so they can have the highest stats possible. I may just suck it up and Fly back to that one city and go to the Haunted mansion with the TV where you get that one special Pokemon. Anyways, I don't mean to derail the thread any further.[/QUOTE]

If you want a low lv Gastly then go to the Sprout Tower at night like i did.
Picked up a lv 3 Gastly.

I agree with his point too. The lower lv that you raise them the better stats.

Right now my team is
Bayleef
Kadabra
Gastly
Flaafy
Fearow
Geodude

Im in Goldenrod lving up b4 i take on the gym there.

Im really loving this game and the added perks.

Some added perks i love

1. You can call the daycare people ppl to see what levels your pkmn are at and if they made an egg. So you dont have to fly back.
2.You can leave more than one acorn at the Ball guys house.
3. You can drag and drop in the pkmn pc.
4. For the Pokedex lving up my Platinum guide still works.
5. I love seeing my pokemon behind me.
6. In the Ilex Forest the Move Tutor will teach Headbutt as many times as you want.
Sweet!!!!

ill add more

[quote name='adriley313']If you want a low lv Gastly then go to the Sprout Tower at night like i did.
Picked up a lv 3 Gastly.

I agree with his point too. The lower lv that you raise them the better stats.

Right now my team is
Bayleef
Kadabra
Gastly
Flaafy
Fearow
Geodude

Im in Goldenrod lving up b4 i take on the gym there.

Im really loving this game and the added perks.[/QUOTE]

I was actually talking about Platinum, which is why I said I didn't want to derail the thread any further. Thanks for the advice though!

[quote name='utopianmachine']I want a Pokewalker holder, but I can't find anything except the one that comes as part of the Wal-mart bundle.[/QUOTE]

I know. My wife and I were just discussing how to secure the pokewalker on my nephew. I just saw the holder on the ign unboxing feature and really want one for my nephew.

I couldn't wait for my amazon shipment (should be here today). I broke down and picked up Heart Gold at Toys R Us so my nephew would have the game today (it's a 'sick day' for him). He'll have both figurines and I'll try to keep up with him on a Soul Silver game.

He's spent the last hour pumped up, running around the condo counting steps on the walker. It is well worth the purchase price for the game so far.

I think the whole ability to label parts of the map is awesome. What I don't like, however, is the limitation in word choices. Seriously, this pre-selected word list has been the same for too long.

Also, is there no way to tell the location of someone when they call you? I just have to remember? I thought I could label them on the map, but the inability to type my own words is holding everything back. Joey keeps calling me, gushing about his Rattata. Am I supposed to go find him to battle again?

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']This pokewalker is really bringing out all the pokenerds out there. My friend works at a movie theater and she was messing with her pokewalker then other of her co-workers were like "Oh here's mine". 6 people had it on them even some people she never imagined would play pokemon.[/QUOTE]

Who would have thought the pokewalker could possibly be the thing that introduces you to the hot gamer chick!?

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think the whole ability to label parts of the map is awesome. What I don't like, however, is the limitation in word choices. Seriously, this pre-selected word list has been the same for too long.

Also, is there no way to tell the location of someone when they call you? I just have to remember? I thought I could label them on the map, but the inability to type my own words is holding everything back. Joey keeps calling me, gushing about his Rattata. Am I supposed to go find him to battle again?[/QUOTE]
http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokegearphone.shtml

Be very careful who gets your phone numbers.

Wow that is so lame about the Pokemon never learning a move if they hit said level while in the pokewalker. Why didn't they warn us about this? Now my butterfree will never learn sleep powder, and a few other pokemon will never learn some moves either. What the hell? So i guess I gotta look up to see what level Pokemon learn moves at, and make sure they are not in the walker the level before? That's so lame. They should just learn it the next level you play in game. BAH. Poor butterfree

If your far enough just use the move tutor. if not i guess it sucks.

How come that gym leaders Miltank hit my damn Gastly with stomp.
Did I miss something? Still whooped her ass with my Geodude

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think the whole ability to label parts of the map is awesome. What I don't like, however, is the limitation in word choices. Seriously, this pre-selected word list has been the same for too long.

Also, is there no way to tell the location of someone when they call you? I just have to remember? I thought I could label them on the map, but the inability to type my own words is holding everything back. Joey keeps calling me, gushing about his Rattata. Am I supposed to go find him to battle again?[/QUOTE]

No he does not want to battle you.
When he does he will tell you that he wants to battle and where he will be.
Its also useful to have some numbers cause i think they give you stones and tell you where swarms are. I know the kid on the right as leave Goldenrod towards the park will tell you when Yamna swarm.

Well I'm currently going through Ecruteak Gym right now. Not getting through the game as fast as I had hoped, but it's going well.

My team is:

Quilava Lv. 22
Donphan Lv. 25
Jirachi Lv. 20

[quote name='KongaKing']Wow that is so lame about the Pokemon never learning a move if they hit said level while in the pokewalker. Why didn't they warn us about this? Now my butterfree will never learn sleep powder, and a few other pokemon will never learn some moves either. What the hell? So i guess I gotta look up to see what level Pokemon learn moves at, and make sure they are not in the walker the level before? That's so lame. They should just learn it the next level you play in game. BAH. Poor butterfree[/QUOTE]

I feel you. I'm glad I have the guide (or Serebii for those that use it) to make sure I know if my Pokémon is about to level up or learn a move. I think it's really retarded that this is a problem. I'm sure many people will miss leveling up their Totodile or whatnot, and then they can never get the final evolutions unless they trade for them. Really poor execution.

[quote name='adriley313']If your far enough just use the move tutor. if not i guess it sucks.

How come that gym leaders Miltank hit my damn Gastly with stomp.
Did I miss something? Still whooped her ass with my Geodude[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought about the Move Tutor for the moves, wherever he is. He's always way late in the game. He sure won't be able to help a Pokémon that missed it's evolution.

As for Stomp, it's a Normal move. That's crazy that it hit a ghost-type.

[quote name='utopianmachine']He sure won't be able to help a Pokémon that missed it's evolution.[/QUOTE]

Since when can you miss evolutions (besides having a level 100 base version of a pokemon line)? They always just evolve at the next level gain.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Since when can you miss evolutions (besides having a level 100 base version of a pokemon line)? They always just evolve at the next level gain.[/QUOTE]

Oh do they? Someone in another thread had said your Pokémon would miss it's evolution. Didn't know anything about this, as I never cancel evolutions.

bread's done
Back