Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

[quote name='detectiveconan16']The WFC Pichu only works in Europe, as it seems. Unless somebody can prove me wrong. There haven't been many WFC, if any, pokemon to download here in the states.[/QUOTE]

You are wrong as I got the Pichu no problem, and I am in the US.

I can't wait for...2 days after Amazon ships it :whistle2:(

I still can't decide which starter to go with. My team with Cyndaquil/Typhlosion would be natural and I used him in Silver. But my team with Totodile/Feraligatr would be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
This anticipation is killing me, just a couple more days!! Luckily I have the entire weekend off, so hopefully it will go by fast with all my busyness.

[quote name='icedrake523']I can't wait for...2 days after Amazon ships it :whistle2:(

I still can't decide which starter to go with. My team with Cyndaquil/Typhlosion would be natural and I used him in Silver. But my team with Totodile/Feraligatr would be better.[/QUOTE]
I plan buy a copy on launch and return it when my Amazon copy comes in.

[quote name='icedrake523']I can't wait for...2 days after Amazon ships it :whistle2:(

I still can't decide which starter to go with. My team with Cyndaquil/Typhlosion would be natural and I used him in Silver. But my team with Totodile/Feraligatr would be better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the amazon wait is going to suck. My delivery estimate lists Wednesday.

As for which starter, I am going with Totodile. Arcanine will be my fire type, so that is covered.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Yeah, the amazon wait is going to suck. My delivery estimate lists Wednesday.

As for which starter, I am going with Totodile. Arcanine will be my fire type, so that is covered.[/QUOTE]

I hope Amazon does the respectable thing and ships them out earlier, like Friday, so most of us can get it by Monday.

Is everyone going with the original version/starter they had 10 years ago? I went with Silver/Totodile. I'm gonna go Silver again, not sure about Toto though.

[quote name='Ryukahn']As for which starter, I am going with Totodile. Arcanine will be my fire type, so that is covered.[/QUOTE]

I'm going with SoulSilver. I can't remember if Arcanine is in it or HeartGold. If it's in HeartGold, I sure hope people put Arcanines up for trade soon.

[quote name='sippycupz']Is everyone going with the original version/starter they had 10 years ago? I went with Silver/Totodile. I'm gonna go Silver again, not sure about Toto though.[/QUOTE]

I had Gold the first time, and a Totodile named Toto was my little buddy. I'm considering going the same route. Hopefully can get Cyndaquil and Chikorita through online trades.

[quote name='slidecage']any reason to buy this if i still have the Plat. game unplayed ....[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to returning to Silver for some of the "retro" appeal, in that so many of the Pokemon are the "old" Pokemon, in that, I know them well. What with Team Rocket fouling things up, this game just reaches out to the hearts of older Pokemon fans who have been with the series a long time.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']I plan buy a copy on launch and return it when my Amazon copy comes in.[/QUOTE]

I'd do that but I'm worried that the packaging may be different from Amazon. I have stuff to play in the mean time anyway.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Yeah, the amazon wait is going to suck. My delivery estimate lists Wednesday.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it'll be like my NSMBW and get here a day early. Or they ship it Saturday.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm going with SoulSilver. I can't remember if Arcanine is in it or HeartGold. If it's in HeartGold, I sure hope people put Arcanines up for trade soon.

I had Gold the first time, and a Totodile named Toto was my little buddy. I'm considering going the same route. Hopefully can get Cyndaquil and Chikorita through online trades.[/quote]
Pretty sure Arcanine is in HeartGold. I can hook you up with a Growlithe and the other 2 starters since I have them on my Diamond cart.

Pretty sure I chose Cyndaquil. Don't remember because I had a couple of playthroughs due to the my lovely Silver save battery. I always started every new Silver game with all three starters anyway.

I'm going to go with Chikorita. Seems like it learns more interesting moves. When looking at the three, it seemed like cynda was just another fire type, and todo was pretty much gyrados, but not as good...

In general, I think fire types are often very generic, and I wish they were a bit more interesting.

hmm, not sure who i'll go for. i usually start off with a water starter but maybe i'll try something different and start off with Cyndaquil.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm going with SoulSilver. I can't remember if Arcanine is in it or HeartGold. If it's in HeartGold, I sure hope people put Arcanines up for trade soon.

I had Gold the first time, and a Totodile named Toto was my little buddy. I'm considering going the same route. Hopefully can get Cyndaquil and Chikorita through online trades.

I'm looking forward to returning to Silver for some of the "retro" appeal, in that so many of the Pokemon are the "old" Pokemon, in that, I know them well. What with Team Rocket fouling things up, this game just reaches out to the hearts of older Pokemon fans who have been with the series a long time.[/QUOTE]

see that is why i really cant pick if i should just let these go, or go out and rent a copy via gamefly for a month for 7.00 (since i would have to bump my plan up )

already i would have coming in March (hopefully)

Spectral Force Genesis coming monday (was thinkin about buying but AWFUL reviews say pass)
Infinite Space 3/18 (though maybe sooner) was going to buy it but would rather rent it awful reviews
Bakugan 2: Battle Trainer 3.18
Tensei: Strange Journey 3.25

also i think blockbuster would have this game for rent as well (got a few FREE COUPONS i could get it from there)

I played the original gold and silver but I got bored up until the first gym. Didn't play Pokemon again until the remake of firered, then waited until Diamond and Pearl and got Diamond, also Platinum.

So this will be like playing a whole new pokemon game anyways, since really didn't get to do the whole game. I always have fire starters so going with Cyndaquil, and like someone else here, my favorite pokemon is the fire-type Arcanine :D

I had such an awesome bred one, but I lost my diamond game :( and lost interest in breeding another one.

[quote name='slidecage']isnt TOYS R US having some release event tomorrow ??[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow is the release of the game. If you mean some kind of special TRU specific event, I have no idea.

On gamestops weekly ad the boxes for both games look wider as if it comes with something inside extra? is it a figurine? or are those only given out for reserved copies?

So I was at my local Sears earlier today trying to scope out some clearances, and in the DS case they had both versions out already. I didn't try to buy one, but if anybody wants to give it a shot, go for it. I may decide to go back and try to get one. If I do, I will report if there was any success.

Going to get my copy soon. I'm not sure who I'll choose, I like them all the same.

I went to a store that usually sells games early, and everything at ripoff prices, just to look at stuff. Two chuckleheads gladly paid $45 when it's less than $44 after tax, stating that getting it early is better than later.

[quote name='Ryukahn']Tomorrow is the release of the game. If you mean some kind of special TRU specific event, I have no idea.[/QUOTE]

found it on another topic here but it mostly said

Some toys r us are opening at 10am (might be normal time)

if you buy the game you get a 5 buck gift card + t shirt + some other junk but cant find the link anymore

found it

the remakes or want to score some deals and goods, Toys R Us is the place to be.

From 10am to 1pm, participating store locations will have a Nintendo representative available with a copy of one of the two games for guests to demo. Free paper visors with Pikachu-themed colors, stickers, and coloring pages will also be given away.

However, the real meat of Demo Day is given out to the first 50 people who purchase the game: not only will they score a shirt (youth sizes only), but also a free Pokémon Basics Kit (normally retails for $10) that includes two gold and silver-colored cases that hold four game carts each, a cleaning cloth emblazoned with Ho-oh and Lugia, and two stylii with hanging charms. Lastly, a special $5 gift card imprinted with Ho-oh and Lugia will also be provided for you early birds.

Other deals include buying a Nintendo DSi unit, Heart Gold or Soul Silver, and a Pokémon Essentials Kit result in getting a free $20 gift card sans fancy legendaries printed on it. And those who just buy either game and a strategy guide get 20% off the guide. Lots of opportunities are going to be available here so if you're interested, hit up the source link to see a list of participating stores and be ready to wake up early.

so your getting
FREE T SHIRT Youth size only : (
Pokemon basics kit (what has 2 cart holders, cleaning cloth and 2 styiis )
and a 5 buck gift card

Got to try to be one of the first 50 though ... so for 35 bucks i would pay 5 for the 2 pens.. so that is like getting the game for 30 with free t shirt and 2 cart holders )

nice... just got to try to be one of the first people there though hopefully there isnt a mad rush

I wonder what stores are participating in that event. I didn't get an email notification for Nintendo World Store. I might have either missed it or it could be changed due to the weather. I know next week Nintendo World Store have an event involving Gold and Silver. The event most likely will occur in Time Square like any other Nintendo events. People here are crazy for free stuff. I doubt I will bother waking up early for that.

IGN review is up. They gave it an 8.5. I laughed because they said the negatives are the same pokemon and same game. LOL that is the reason I'm buying it. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold/Silver

[quote name='Purple Flames']I'm picking up my copy tomorrow. As always, I'm starting out with the fire-type. I like the challenge.[/QUOTE]

I always start my main Pokemon as fire -type and I never experienced any difficulties in Pokemon series. They usually have high offensive stats. Pokemon is pretty easy rpg. I will only use my starting Pokemon throughout the game; which can easily accumulate over level 90 by the end of game. I generally overpower my opponents . When the end game comes I hunt down the legendary birds to booster your party against the elite four or buy a lot of pp restore items and your set. I been using the same strategy for all the Pokemon games and it never fails. If I applied that strategy towards a Shin Megami Tensei game, I will get slaughter for having a weak skill set and base stats.

I think the hardest starting Pokemon was yellow. Pikachu have a very low defense stats. Plus, you need to level grind Pikachu or grass Pokemon to get pass first gym leader, Brock.

:D
6xxi7k.jpg

I always cheated and worked with a friend of mine through a series of 12 or so trades to get both of us all 3 starters.

Mine hasn't shipped either. If I didn't have a ton of classwork to do, I would probably just pick up the game at my local walmart. As is, I can afford to wait.

[quote name='fatbeer']

I think the hardest starting Pokemon was yellow. Pikachu have a very low defense stats. Plus, you need to level grind Pikachu or grass Pokemon to get pass first gym leader, Brock.[/QUOTE]

Well you can capture a Mankey which is a fighting type, or use a Butterfree. In yellow you end up getting the original 3 anyway so it is still pretty easy.

hmm, can you use your D/P/PL games to transfer pokemon into your HG/SS game or do you need a National dex kinda thing? Maybe you have to do something in Goldenrod since that's where you used to transfer R/B/Y Pokemon into Gold/Silver.

[quote name='br26']hmm, can you use your D/P/PL games to transfer pokemon into your HG/SS game or do you need a National dex kinda thing? Maybe you have to do something in Goldenrod since that's where you used to transfer R/B/Y Pokemon into Gold/Silver.[/QUOTE]

you can do that in the second town. No extra item needed

Got my copy from my favorite video game store, obviously a mom and pop, yesterday. I chose a Chikorita because I spent the least amount of time with it.
I'd have to say after reading the instruction manual for the Pokewalker, I'm very impressed with this game already. The cart has an infrared sensor that hooks up with the pedometer, rather than using the wifi signal of the DS. I haven't turned it on yet, considering I really walk alot on an average day, and I'm afraid of over-training my pokemon.
I loves me some auto running, it's very helpful especially if one's playing with a stylus, and especially the DSi, considering the clicky sound of the buttons.

[quote name='fatbeer']

I think the hardest starting Pokemon was yellow. Pikachu have a very low defense stats. Plus, you need to level grind Pikachu or grass Pokemon to get pass first gym leader, Brock.[/QUOTE]
I'm gonna stick with Charmander in Red/Blue as the hardest starter. At least Pikachu had it easy against Misty... Charmander was toast against the first two gyms.

Each game a different starter is the easy/medium/hard.

RBY it's Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander.
GSC Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita
RSE Mudkip, Treecko, Torchic

I think all were basically the same in DPP

I remember my brother and I both got yellow and red respectively for Christmas one year. He was crying to me that he couldn't get past the first gym with picachu. I told that hey this Charmander ain't making it any easier for me.

Is there a way to get the classic starters (bulba, squirtle, charmander) in this game? Online trading or something? I want a bulbasaur!

bread's done
Back