Official WarHawk Discussion: **Patch 1.5/"Falling Star" OUT!**

I think that just have to do with how much they think they can charge for it. "Disc based product" = "we're going to make you pay full price".

too much mess going on with this game... I hope the final product is decent... I really this game might be good though, not perfect, but I think it can be good. hopefully the new dev kit might help get this game on track. when is it supposed to be released.

I hope this comes out at $60 and I hope it sells like shit at $60. That way the good people who are in charge of price know that people won't pay full price for this type of game.

[quote name='whoknows']I hope this comes out at $60 and I hope it sells like shit at $60. That way the good people who are in charge of price know that people won't pay full price for this type of game.[/QUOTE]
I wish they'd realize that people want a single-player game. I loved the original Warhawk and was hoping for more of the same, alas, no such luck. I suppose I will have to hold out hope for Crimson Skies 2.

The only reasons I was okay with not having single player was it was going to be downloadable and hopefully cost less.

Now I'm not so sure if I'll be getting it if it does come out and is priced more then I think it is worth.

[quote name='dallow']Disc-based and online only?

Was FFXI cheaper than normal games?
Not that I remember.[/QUOTE]
FFXI came with the Hard Drive.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Boy is Sony in a mess. This was one of those games that actually interested me. Now another strike against the system. :rofl:[/QUOTE]
So what exactly has changed about this game?

[quote name='mwynn']FFXI came with the Hard Drive.[/quote]

Ah true.
How about FFXI for Xbox?
Though the game had aged a bit by the time it landed there.

[quote name='dallow']Ah true.
How about FFXI for Xbox?
Though the game had aged a bit by the time it landed there.[/QUOTE]
The only difference I can see is that Sony is really trying to push their PSN and the concept of digital delivery for new games. I think we might see this released at a relatively low price, but then lots of add-on packs such as new maps, etc. I would guess maybe in the $20-30 range, unless they release a retail version.

I read they ARE releasing a retail Blu-Ray disc for this game now. It was on a scroll on G4 (I know they are reputable ;) ).

Already covered though...oops :)

[quote name='elwood731']The only difference I can see is that Sony is really trying to push their PSN and the concept of digital delivery for new games. I think we might see this released at a relatively low price, but then lots of add-on packs such as new maps, etc. I would guess maybe in the $20-30 range, unless they release a retail version.[/quote]

Well yeh. That is what I expected too, and was willing to accept but now there is going to be a retail version. :roll:

That'd be an interesting option, BD or download.
PS3 games are too big though.
My HDD space is precious, give me the BD.

Honestly... I guess going BD is the best way. We're not quite there yet in turns of "everyone" have fast connections to be able to download really large files. Still... They better back a heck of a lot into this thing.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think that just have to do with how much they think they can charge for it. "Disc based product" = "we're going to make you pay full price".[/quote]
[quote name='elwood731']The only difference I can see is that Sony is really trying to push their PSN and the concept of digital delivery for new games. I think we might see this released at a relatively low price, but then lots of add-on packs such as new maps, etc. I would guess maybe in the $20-30 range, unless they release a retail version.[/quote]
[quote name='whoknows']I hope this comes out at $60 and I hope it sells like shit at $60. That way the good people who are in charge of price know that people won't pay full price for this type of game.[/quote]
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3158044
The big question now is when Sony will start talking about its plans to release the game as a download on the PlayStation Network. While Sony has officially only announced a Blu-ray version, the game is likely to hit the PS Network in late summer and then later -- we're assuming once more packs are released (including the lost single-player levels?) -- as a Blu-ray release. Whatever the case, don't expect to pay $59 for Warhawk immediately. "I don't think it should be a full-priced product," asserts Jobe. And that right there should come as very welcome news.

[quote name='NamPaehc']We don't know if there will be any kind of tutorial or not. And we also don't know if there will be some kind of match making system in place *points at Halo*.[/quote]
"When you jump into a game, we try to embed enough hints and tactical information into our on-screen hints so that even if you played the game by yourself and wanted to get familiar with the controls and what some of the weapons did, you could," says Jobe. "Essentially, the game manual is paged out to you as you play the game. And there are different tiers to the hints. For example, after you've jumped into a tank for a while and have gotten used to driving it around, new tips will come out such as, 'hey, be sure to try this' or 'try this new tactic.'" In more advanced modes, the game may offer even more hand-holding. "If you get to a base that is blocked and the game detects it, you get a hint saying 'hey, just wanted to let you know, this base is blocked; you may want to attack this other base,'" Jobe says.

[quote name='elwood731']I wish they'd realize that people want a single-player game. I loved the original Warhawk and was hoping for more of the same, alas, no such luck. I suppose I will have to hold out hope for Crimson Skies 2.[/quote]
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158037
Quite honestly, if we were to continue down our single player/multiplayer approach, it would have resulted in not as good single player or not as good multiplayer.Quite honestly, if we were to continue down our single player/multiplayer approach, it would have resulted in not as good single player or not as good multiplayer.

We want to make a great game. And we think we can make a really great game if we take this approach. If we stayed the course, we could certainly get a decent game out there, but I don't think it would be fair to the players. As Sony, we really need to give consumers love -- we need to love our players right now and give them really great games.

You know what's interesting is, back in the day -- and no one brings this up -- when the original Warhawk was building up and being released, it was single-player only but people thought that it was going to have multiplayer. Remember the link cable? They bitched and moaned that it didn't have link. We got all this feedback that it should be multiplayer! ... I think to some degree we have a little bit of that to overcome with Warhawk. I think if people went back and objectively looked at what it would be if we were to port that game straight away, we still wouldn't hit the bar.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You don't read well do you:roll:[/quote]
What's wrong with cutting what doesn't work to make sure what does work works very well?

Warhawk was on this week's On the Spot (3/22/07) from about 4:45 to 14:00. They basically play some online multiplayer with the devs to pretty much talk about the cool features of the gameplay and the possibility of a demo sometime in the future. Looks good for being an alpha build.

I was thinking. I might pay "full price" for this since it is coming to BD but they should add in some cool extras to the package. Maybe throw in a good headset? What do you think?

[quote name='NamPaehc']I was thinking. I might pay "full price" for this since it is coming to BD but they should add in some cool extras to the package. Maybe throw in a good headset? What do you think?[/quote]

If it came with a headset, I would pay 40, 50$ if it's really nice.

Looks like a good game, but shouldn't have been called Warhawk. Really looks nothing like the original, and seems to play nothing like it.

I really like how this game looks from the 1up show just released. I would definetly buy it, if I had won Kotaku's PS3. (DAMN PARTY HATS)

[quote name='dpatel']Looks like a good game, but shouldn't have been called Warhawk. Really looks nothing like the original, and seems to play nothing like it.[/QUOTE]

It plays a bit like it, back when it was singleplayer at E3. The Motion controls were really fun (very similar to lair), but I wonder if they're going to use it sstill.

[quote name='Zoglog']It plays a bit like it, back when it was singleplayer at E3. The Motion controls were really fun (very similar to lair), but I wonder if they're going to use it sstill.[/QUOTE]

Yea. I guess the actual 'Warhawk' part of the game is still intact, but that seems to be a pretty small part of the game. I'm not really complaining, I think it just would've been better to name it something original, rather than use the Warhawk name. Won't make any difference to me though.

[quote name='dpatel']Looks like a good game, but shouldn't have been called Warhawk. Really looks nothing like the original, and seems to play nothing like it.[/QUOTE]
Hawk of War?

I am amazed at the direction this game has taken. Hopefully everything turns out solid because I have yet to find a PS3 online experience intriguing enough to keep me entertained. Not that the 360 is doing any better for me at the moment. I am probably just in Halo3/Little Big Planet limbo right now.

[quote name='dpatel']Yea. I guess the actual 'Warhawk' part of the game is still intact, but that seems to be a pretty small part of the game. I'm not really complaining, I think it just would've been better to name it something original, rather than use the Warhawk name. Won't make any difference to me though.[/quote]
The Warhawks are still a large part of the game, as there are even modes where everyone is piloting Warhawks in dog fights. Plus, when the devs get the multiplayer done and can work on some single-player stuff, it'll be more like the Warhawk of old. I don't see the need for a name change.

Looks like it is coming to Blu Ray AND the PSN.

"As more and more favorable impressions are lumped on Warhawk, many have accepted the game's multiplayer focus and becoming more interested in when and how they can get their hands on the update to the PS One classic. Rumors had indicated Warhawk would become a PlayStation Network-only download, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

1UP recently contacted Sony Computer Entertainment America for clarification, who said Warhawk will be available on Blu-ray and through the PlayStation Network. Whether there will be differences in price or content (i.e. the downloadable version being more stripped down, with more option to purchase new content) between the two has not been announced.

Could Sony be preparing to offer an a la carte menu for Warhawk? The downloadable version could include all the basics -- i.e. weapons, vehicles -- needed to participate in a given multiplayer match, but provide the full range of maps as, well, microtransactions. The initial slate of maps would be included on the Blu-ray disc, while online-centric gamers can pick and choose which ones to purchase.

Or not. We'll have to wait a little longer for the full breakdown. "

This game looks really good from what the 1up show was showing last week. I'd buy it if I had a PS3.

all depends on the price. For a multiplayer only title I'd say $20 is fair, since it's pretty well featured and not skimping on graphics/modes/variety. Single player levels will likely come as paid download content anyway.

[quote name='jer7583']all depends on the price. For a multiplayer only title I'd say $20 is fair, since it's pretty well featured and not skimping on graphics/modes/variety. Single player levels will likely come as paid download content anyway.[/quote]

I think that $20 is unrealistic. I guess you're saying that because it is on a home system? I mean, you can't even get last gen games for that price.

Battlefield 2142 ran for $49.99 and it is mostly a multiplayer game (don't think there is a story mode). That was on the PC so... Why is it okay for them to make a multiplayer game and still charge a "full" price but not here with WarHawk?

I've sort of gotten over the lack of single player. Mainly by looking at games like BF and hoping the devs put as much or more content into this game. I have faith they will.

I think the 20 dollar price works, they can then charge for the add-ons.
50 for a multiplayer game is way to high for my taste. If you have to pay to play that would make it worse.

The fact that it's a download game saves them money on distribution and pressing of Blu Ray discs, and the game isn't as long lasting as a game like BF 2142 with user created content and lots of maps. Not to mention that online only console games aren't as acceptable to that market. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it, but if Sony wants it to sell less, their problem.

$20 would make this game a huge success. They also can nickel and dime you afterwards for new maps, new modes, new single player, etc.

Nah, I'm not in for nickle and diming. Not yet. Show me where it ($20) has been done before and worked. And I'd like to see the plans for the PSN content that you can buy, like how much things will cost.

I'm just saying there are multiplayer games all over the place where customers are asked to pay $40-60 when the titles are launched.

We don't really know what it will be on BluRay and PSN, at least to what degrees. The quote above is a big vague.

My guess would be $39.99 right now.

But really, this is kind of sad. We are talking price and delivery instead of about the content of the game. I think if the devs come out and
and share more details, we wouldn't be worrying about such things. Though this is CAG... :)

[quote name='NamPaehc']
I'm just saying there are multiplayer games all over the place where customers are asked to pay $40-60 when the titles are launched.

[/QUOTE]
That is where you lose me, that price for a multiplayer game will not work for me.

[quote name='mwynn']That is where you lose me, that price for a multiplayer game will not work for me.[/quote]

I don't lose you. The company does.

At least, at this point in time because you don't know a lot about the game. The more details they share about the games features, the more likely you are to want to play it. Though I guess, there is a large group of people who aren't into multiplayer games UNLESS they can get it for "cheap". The people who say "I'll try it, it is only $20".

I believe you have to came at it at another angle. Instead of asking price first, the question should be - "Am I interested in online multiplayer?" If the answer is yes, then they need to sell you on what WarHawk is all about.

I think that if WarHawk comes out as a "budget" title in any form, it will be one of the first potentially major games to do so. I need to see an example of where it has been done, and worked in the past to actually have any hope that it'll happen. I had to just sit down and think about it and most of the multiplayer games out there, even though they still have single player modes (some stronger then others), we all know they are geared towards the multiplayer crowd and still carry "normal" price tags.

Does this dual release cause a dilemma for anyone else?

I'm all for downloadable games- cheaper (usually), faster loading

BUT if given the choice I'd like to have the physical medium as well, so uh I dunno maybe I can still play the game later when the PS4 is around (similar to how I play PS2 games on PS3).

I guess it wouldn't be a problem if I just wasn't so hyped for this game (damn you 1up show!). I'd like to play this game day one and who knows when the blu-ray release will be? It would most likely be next year.

Same thing goes for LittleBigPlanet...I guess I'll just see when they announce more details.

bread's done
Back