Official WarHawk Discussion: **Patch 1.5/"Falling Star" OUT!**

[quote name='dpatel']Yea. I guess the actual 'Warhawk' part of the game is still intact, but that seems to be a pretty small part of the game. I'm not really complaining, I think it just would've been better to name it something original, rather than use the Warhawk name. Won't make any difference to me though.[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, when the game was first announced. I figure they just went with Warhawk.. cause this really isn't like a sequel, to me it more of a reinvention of the franchise, so I figure in the next Warhawk it'll probably have a more original title.

Bloggers impressions.

"Thanks to some last minute shenanigans I only got 20 minutes or so with Warhawk today on the Playstation 3 debug during the first of what I hope will be many Warhawk Wednesdays.

Once a week the devs are hosting a bunch of journalists in the game, letting us try out the multiplayer. Unfortunately, the game has no offline play, and no instructions, so everyone in the game was still trying to figure out controls, the map, the objectives, all that sort of stuff.

Beyond the confusion, the game was quite a bit of fun.

I spent most of my time on foot, running around trying to shoot people and blow things up. The controls were pretty snappy, what you'd expect from a shooter.

I also tried my hand at driving around in a jeep and a tank, both of which were easy enough to grasp. The tank wasn't quite the drop-in-and-drive experience I was hoping for, but the learning curve wasn't that bad.

The Warhawk itself was tricky, especially when jumping into the only one on a map usually meant you were blow to bits in a few seconds. I finally dropped out of the game and lucked into a second server with no one in it, giving me plenty of time to figure out the flight controls.

The graphic were pretty solid, though not the same level as something like, say, Resistance. The game managed to support 20 players with zero lag, but of course we were the only ones on the servers. Still, nice performance.

Overall, I was pretty impressed with the game. Sure, it's not the next big thing for the Playstation 3, but it was hella fun. And with it being a downloadable game, I have high hopes for a very reasonable price.

I'll make sure to drop back into the game next week for a bit more of a taste. "

Good interview, has part about WarHawk.

GI: When you were talking about the new SOCOM title for PS3, a lot of people were surprised that you would offer that as a download and as a Blu-ray disc product. Could you explain how Warhawk will work?

Dille: Warhawk from a distribution perspective, it’s kind of a similar strategy as SOCOM. Warhawk will be available as a download from the PlayStation Network, but we’ll also have a retail SKU. There will be differences between the two. The game will be the same, but in the retail SKU we’re able to take advantage of that Blu-ray disc and pack that disc with behind-the-scenes information, developer interviews, demos of other games and again, if you’ve got Blu-ray why not take advantage of that. On top of that, we’ll have a Bluetooth wireless headset so that you can jump into the fray day one and start trash-talking. We think that’s a great way to A. offer consumers a choice, if you’re already involved in the PlayStation Network and want the convenience of downloading, it will make that possible. If you’re not a member yet of the PlayStation Network or haven’t registered and are kind of curious, you have another way to go and get that headset at the same time as well as some other content. That also gives our retail partners another way to stay involved in both so they’re not involved in the Network business

GI: Do you have a price on those SKUs?

Dille: Not one that we’ll announce.

GI: Do you see this model going forward with having separate download and retail? Will this be a common thing or does the headset make it special.

Dille: It’s not going to be terribly common because there’s not that many games that we’ll do this for. The vast, vast majority of our products are Blu-ray disc products that are sold at retail. We have a number of games that are downloadable for the PlayStation Network but they’re very different experiences. Again, Blast Factor and Calling All Cars–they’re not full $60 retail products. They help represent the full range of content that you get on the PlayStation 3. But I think Warhawk and SOCOM are special examples. We’re coming up with approaches for them that fit the needs of those two products.

Flight traing manual scans.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I was too lazy to look through the posts but Gamestop has it up for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

Well, they did ditch the single player mode to make it online only, so maybe this will be retail. I still haven't decided if I want the game, so I'll hold off, but thanks for letting us know.

No word on getting in beta yet, but I hoped everyone signed up! Think it starts Thursday if I am reading reports right. This is on the site now:

Sorry!
Thanks for your interest in this beta test. Unfortunately, we have all the beta testers we need right now. Don't worry--there will be other beta tests coming soon. Be sure to apply!

Thanks again,

The PlayStation Underground

[quote name='amicus']does that mean they've already sent out the emails? or just cutting off ppl trying to get into the beta?[/quote]

I'm going to say cut off. I looked this morning on the boards and no one there had said anything. They are down for me now so I can't be sure.

I really want to play this game as well. Doubt I'll get into the beta though...I never get into betas :whistle2:(

Still, if that $39.99 price tag holds true (game and bluetooth headset) then that is an awesome deal.

I'd love to see a sequel of this game, have the single player portion become like a sandbox, openended type play, like a mix betwen spiderman 3, hulk UT, crimson skies, environments detailed like Lair, and and expansive like GTA, or like Mercenaires... I just want a giant sand box with multiple cites and locales.

Hey guys do this:

go to "account management". then "transaction management". Then "view services".

Not sure what it means... But I did, and it shows "WarHawk Beta"! So I think.. that might mean I'm in... going to do some more research.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Hey guys do this:

Not sure what it means... But I did, and it shows "WarHawk Beta"! So I think.. that might mean I'm in... going to do some more research.[/QUOTE]
Says the same thing for me too

[quote name='whoknows']I really want to play this game as well. Doubt I'll get into the beta though...I never get into betas :whistle2:(

Still, if that $39.99 price tag holds true (game and bluetooth headset) then that is an awesome deal.[/quote]
Dylan Jobe said on the Full Moon Show (Insomniac's podcast) that he thinks (and he says the Sony guys handling the price are of the same mindset) that it would be a crime to not cut off at least 1/3 of the typical full retail price of the game because it's just a multiplayer game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Dylan Jobe said on the Full Moon Show (Insomniac's podcast) that he thinks (and he says the Sony guys handling the price are of the same mindset) that it would be a crime to not cut off at least 1/3 of the typical full retail price of the game because it's just a multiplayer game.[/quote]

We'll see. There are plenty of multiplayer games out there that run full price already. We know there will be downloadable content, some free, some you have to pay for. So I'm hoping for a lower price too and reasonable fees for the content but I'm not expecting to much.

[quote name='dallow']How have you guys found out? Email?

Hope there's one for me when I get home!!![/quote]

go to "account management". then "transaction management". Then "view services".
Not sure what it means... But I did, and it shows "WarHawk Beta"! So I think.. that might mean I'm in... going to do some more research.[/quote] :)

[quote name='dallow']That site is blocked for me at work.

Do you just check your ps3 ID?
Can anyone check mine for me?[/quote]

You need the PSN email and password.

It's gotta be a huge beta.

This beta sounds more like a 'sign up demo', nice way to get people to try out the game before purchase.

Can't wait, and hope I got in. I miss Warhawk. It's been 12 years.

[quote name='DJSteel']or at least 6yrs since we've seen warhawk (Twisted metal black)[/quote]

Wait, what?
Are you talking about Wart Hog?

Beta news, from Gamespot:

If all of this sounds good to you, you're in luck: The open beta for Warhawk is scheduled for release on May 24. Participants for the beta will be chosen from sign-ups from the official Warhawk Web site, and producers told us it will be an approximately 780MB download. Even better news: This will be the full game for the beta, complete with all maps, vehicles, and rewards.

[quote name='dallow']Beta news, from Gamespot:

[/QUOTE]
At first I read that as "Bad news, from Gamespot" :lol:

That was close :p

Awesome about it being the full game, even more awesome that it's under 1gig to download!

Can't wait!

[quote name='panasonic']how the fuck is the game a FULL beta only 780mb. Isn't ninja gaiden demo larger?[/QUOTE]
Yep, NG was over 1gig which surprised me. I'm glad that this isn't that much.

I should probably get a headset for the beta, huh? :p

[quote name='whoknows']Yep, NG was over 1gig which surprised me. I'm glad that this isn't that much.

I should probably get a headset for the beta, huh? :p[/quote]

Yeah, get a headset now!

I'm really surprised the game is so small.
Must be super compressed for the beta. Wonder what the install size is.
Seems screwy either way....

THEN AGAIN

It's multiplayer only, so it's really just maps and ships.
There's no continual story to make the game longer, no cutscenes, voices, etc.

Not sure what it means... But I did, and it shows "WarHawk Beta"! So I think.. that might mean I'm in... going to do some more research.[/quote]

hmm no email for me but I did this and the Warhawk Beta is there with "Active" under status. Hope I'm in...

friend got his email already...

[quote name='whoknows']Well, since the playstation site said I'm in the beta does that mean I'm in or do I have to wait for an e-mail?[/quote]

Should just show up in your PSN store.

Word is, the Europe PS3 owners can already download and play the beta.

bread's done
Back