One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

[quote name='botticus']You sure you didn't bust the release mechanism when you tried to manually pull it out? From the one or two times I've used it, I seem to recall it going in and popping out pretty easily.[/quote]same here, its like the ds slot

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Blah.

Does anyone else have an insanely hard time getting their SD card out of their Wii?? I had to unplug the damn thing and unhinge the little door so I could get some leverage. I had to use my fingernails and ever so slowly jiggle it out. This in total probably took 5 minutes. The process really should've taken less than 2 seconds.

I'm using a Ultra II 2 gig SD card if that makes a difference. I thought there might be some kind of release mechanism, but nope.

***EDIT***So there IS a release mechanism...you push it. But I swear the first time I tried taking it out, I pushed it (actually many times) and waited for a click noise, which is the norm with these things, but to no avail. It also didn't pop out any. Strange. Now whenever I put it in I feel as though it'll get stuck again because I kinda have to force it in, it's not as a fluid motion like it is with my laptop's SD reader. Poor show Nintendo.[/quote]

Never had any problems with the SD card slot. Its always popped in and out easily.

[quote name='botticus']You sure you didn't bust the release mechanism when you tried to manually pull it out? From the one or two times I've used it, I seem to recall it going in and popping out pretty easily.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so....It still goes in and out, but not as smooth as you'd think it would be. I also just tried out the slot on my parent's Wii and it worked alot better. Weird. I still stand by my experience with it the first time, I swear it wouldn't come out.

Hey everyone! My parents got my Wii yesterday at Sears. It came with the Weather and News channel, Great System!

Anyway I am having trouble connecting to the internet. I was able to Download latest update, Go onto forecast channel, and getting messages from Nintendo with Wii connect 24.

I still cannot connect to the Shop and News channel. The router I am using is a Linksys router.

i have two wiimotes that might be broken. while playing some 4 player wii sports golf i noticed that 2 wiimotes were having a very hard time reading the players swing, specifically short putts and chips that just wouldnt register if the shot needed to be soft. the other two remotes worked great though, and had no problem with very soft motion. anyone else have this problem?

sorry, i don't have time now to read the whole thread... there was a thread a while back about people whose wii's crashed occasionally. mine's been doing that. any idea why? it just goes to a black screen when i try to play a disc game. if i power down and start over, it works. it does that periodically.

i didnt find this discussed previous (read about 5 pages)
theres disk noise, not 360 type noise, more like parts in the wii are moving. ive only noticed it on zelda tp.
kinda bothers me, has anybody experienced this?

[quote name='banpeikun']sorry, i don't have time now to read the whole thread... there was a thread a while back about people whose wii's crashed occasionally. mine's been doing that. any idea why? it just goes to a black screen when i try to play a disc game. if i power down and start over, it works. it does that periodically.[/quote]
I took mine off standby and it seemed to clear up the issue (and leaves the unit much cooler when it is off). I'd rather Nintendo fixed the issue, but this seems to be working for me at the moment (no access to everybody votes or weather, I think, but I never use those anyway).

My Wii internet browsing was fine and fast the first day I got my network up and running, but now it's slow and randomly doesn't work WTF?

Anyone having problems downloading from the Shop Channel? I've been trying to download DKC2 for almost 30 minutes now and getting error code 209600. I feel like throwing my Wii to the wall or something.

Edit: Now I'm getting error 20976 after I selected DKC2. I'm already getting frustrated.

Anyone still read this thread?

How do you sync the controller?
I can't play anything.

Tried using the wiimote and saw all 4 lights flashing, no response.
Tried brand new batteries, light 1 lights up, no response.
Pressed sync on the controll, sync on Wii, nothing.
Held them in, tried reverse order... nothing!

I got to play my new GC games, how do I do it?

EDIT:
Got it, read Strell's FAQ thing, had to power down the whole system....
Strell.... helped me....? Oh gosh.

Is there any f'ing way to get around having to switch cables when I want to play games that are 480i? I have the 3-in-1 component cables for the Wii/PS3/360 and whenever I go to play a game in 480i I have to switch out the cables with composite >.>:error:

This is incredibly annoying with my setup. The picture gets all jacked up and I look upon my Wii with dissaproval. The PS2 wouldn't give me this problem and that was made a long while back.

:bs::bs::bs:

It's either your cables or your TV. My TV and cables do not have that problem. It all works fine in both 480p and 480i on any system, Wii included.

[quote name='DeskLaser']Anybody else having problems with playing Megaman X Collection on the Wii? It seems to be ok up until the game select menu, but when I try to pick a game, I only get audio, and no visual (unless I go to the load screen, then I get a visual). Any ideas?

Edit: After looking at it more closely, all I see in the "intro" portion is the Licensed by Nintendo line, then the option to start the game without a save file, then audio (no video), then the main "push start" screen (with audio and video), then the main menu (with audio and video).[/quote]

Bringing this question up again, since I just got this game in a trade and was wondering what was wrong. Did anyone have the same problem or find a way to fix it?

My friend's wii has tiny pixel distortions all over the screen in every game played and in the wii menu. They pop in and stay there, flickering. He's checked the set up and everything seems to be pluged in perfectly, no problem with the tv. I seem to recall that this is a semi-common problem with some of the early wii's. My friend would like to get it fixed, and I was wondering the process that you have to go through to get a replacement. He went through the Nintendo website and emailed them the issue, but they just sent him back to the same problem solving list that didnt give any solutions. Any help would be appreciated.

My wii has worked pretty good, except for the Zelda Collector's Edition Gamecube disc, which froze on me several times while playing Majora's Mask, and eventually corrupted the save file (after getting all hearts, masks, and items, but unfortunatly before I went to fight Majora. ack. that was a lot of hours that I'll have to replay somewhere down the line, once it comes out on the vc. i dont even want to look at the game right now, so much time gone.)

[quote name='CottonGamer']that was a lot of hours that I'll have to replay somewhere down the line, once it comes out on the vc. i dont even want to look at the game right now, so much time gone.)[/quote]Why would you get it on the VC when it is the exact same thing minus surround sound and rumble support?

Does this sound familiar?

This is a great FAQ. So how do I get online with my Wii? I have an Actiontec GT701C router and it is located in the same space as the Wii so signal strength should not be an issue.

I go into settings and select "Wireless" for my connection but everytime I test it I get an error.

When I type 192.168.1.1 into my browser I am brought to the Verizon FIOS log-in screen for my router. The problem is that I am unable to type anything in the username field (which is "admin") or the password field (which is "password"). Every keystroke inputs 3 or more characters. Cutting and pasting the words into the fields does not work either. In order to get back online with my Wii I need to be able to change the settings on my router. The Verizon CSR was useless. Any ideas?

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thanks!

[quote name='Z-Saber']Why would you get it on the VC when it is the exact same thing minus surround sound and rumble support?[/QUOTE]

Forgot to say I was borrowing the GC Zelda Collectors disc from a friend.

Still wondering about any help about my friend's wii? Thanks

[quote name='CottonGamer']My friend's wii has tiny pixel distortions all over the screen in every game played and in the wii menu. They pop in and stay there, flickering. He's checked the set up and everything seems to be pluged in perfectly, no problem with the tv. I seem to recall that this is a semi-common problem with some of the early wii's. My friend would like to get it fixed, and I was wondering the process that you have to go through to get a replacement. He went through the Nintendo website and emailed them the issue, but they just sent him back to the same problem solving list that didnt give any solutions. Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

Your friend can either call Nintendo directly and set up a Repair Order, or use the form on the website and go through there.

It seems they made the form slightly harder to find. Haha. But at least the support site seems more comprehensive now.

[quote name='CAG 79']Question: Could I play full movies on the Wii through an SD card or is it just videos/photos?[/quote]
If the movie that you want to play can be converted into both a size that fits on an SD card, and a format that the Wii Photo Channel can read, then yes.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much luck converting anything longer than an hour into a size that can fit on a 2 GB SD card.

Hopefully some good media center software comes out for the Internet Channel so that we can watch full-length movies and such.

Thanks Hack. Hopefully this will stop my friend from griping about not knowing what to do. But knowing him, probably not.

I have a question: Where are the updates stored? I started a Wii update, and got to about 50%. It cut off. So I restarted the update, and it got to 50% in less than 3 seconds. Is it stored on my pc? Or the Wii?

[quote name='CottonGamer']My wii has worked pretty good, except for the Zelda Collector's Edition Gamecube disc, which froze on me several times while playing Majora's Mask, and eventually corrupted the save file (after getting all hearts, masks, and items, but unfortunatly before I went to fight Majora. ack. that was a lot of hours that I'll have to replay somewhere down the line, once it comes out on the vc. i dont even want to look at the game right now, so much time gone.)[/quote]

I ran into the exact same problem, except for the part of a corrupted save file *knock on wood* :whistle2:#

Funny thing is, I would play through majora's mask and have it hang in parts, but when my brother played it, everything went fine for him until I was finally able to jinx him and he finally got a black screen :lol:

Guess I'll have to make a copy of my save file for back up :cold:

Question: Where can I find a Real Cheap Gamecube Wavebird Wireless Controller so I can play my gamecube games on the Wii? Or can you use the Wii Classic Controller?

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I'm as surprised as you are.

Perhaps they're floating in the air. ?[/quote]

Maybe on the Wii's cache?

I'm having a problem, after putting the disc in and trying to get it to load about 60% of the time I can hear the drive starting and then a weird clicking noise. This happens a few times before getting a disc error message. I've only had a Wii about a month and it seems to be getting worse. Should I just take it back and then wait for them to get a new one in?

Ok so I start playing around with the internet functions of the Wii today and the first thing I do is do an update or whatever. Then I try Wii Forcast. Well I live in Los Angeles and I can't find it anywhere. As a matter of fact, the only location they offer me is "The Valley" and the only region that is offered is "Anguilla." WTH?! How come they won't offer me California or Los Angeles or anything? I can't even use Wii Shop because of this!

not sure if anyone posted this but I am on my second wii and went to play today and my sensor bar simply stopped working. My wii mote buttons still work but no cursor on screen. Nintendo is sending me a new sensor but this sucks.

I just got a Wii about a week ago. The first day or two I didn't notice any noise at all. The last few days, however, I've noticed a slight 'clicking' noise when a disk is running. I wouldn't normally be worried, but the sound has a bit of an ebb and flow... I just wanted an opinion of another Wii owner. Is this noise normal, or will it get worse?

Thanks

[quote name='The Crotch']I get it very rarely when playing GC games. I have no way of knowing if that's connected to my problem.[/quote]

Well, I only have Wii Sports and Super Paper Mario, and the noise occurs for both. I searched 'Wii noise' on youtube, and my system isn't quite that bad...yet. I guess I should just give it some more time.

I played my Wii today (it's been a few days since the last time I played), and noticed that when clicking on an icon from the main menu the transition to the full screen version of the icon with the start button was really choppy and not smooth like it normally is. I played some Super Metroid, and Samus would completely disappear for 2 or 3 seconds after getting hit, and one out of every 3 lasers I shot would be semi transparent, and very difficult to see. Also, whenever I rode an elevator Samus would almost completely disappear.
I think I might have another Wii with a bad GPU.
I also checked the Everyone Votes Channel and the News Channel and they were both very choppy. The Internet channel was a little choppy but not too bad.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I ran into the exact same problem, except for the part of a corrupted save file *knock on wood* :whistle2:#

Funny thing is, I would play through majora's mask and have it hang in parts, but when my brother played it, everything went fine for him until I was finally able to jinx him and he finally got a black screen :lol:

Guess I'll have to make a copy of my save file for back up :cold:[/quote]

I realize you posted this a while back, but I thought I would chime in.

Glitches are actually common with MM on that disc in general, even on the GC. I had the same problem when playing on my GC years ago, and found that a lot of people had the problem (especially the boating/swamp area).

Every single day since I got my Wii last weekend, I get the same two messages from Nintendo anywhere from 1 to 3 times a day. One message says there is an update available (which I downloaded the very first time I powered on my Wii. The other message says that MP3 videos are available on the shop channel (it was the next thing I did on my Wii). I never needed them to tell me about either thing the first time, much less three times a day. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how I can fix it?

I like having the blue light function turned on so I can know if there is anything new on my Wii. But I don't like it on constantly and I don't like turning my Wii on just before bed so the light goes off, only to have the light pop back on just as I'm about to fall asleep.

I've had my Wii for about 3 weeks now, working great until I got a copy of Mario Party 8. Played for a bit when the "An error has occured" message came up. Trying the game again later worked sometimes, but the message popped up more and more. I was about to return the game, but I've been playing Wii Sports and the same message has come up twice now, where it worked perfectly before. Thinking I should send it in to Nintendo, but wondering if you guys had any thoughts.

call nintendo customer service. Something is wrong with it and they should send you a new one for N/C.

Ok, people, what the heck is wrong with MY Wii ?

I have pointer issues in 2 areas of the TV screen. I have a 50" widescreen HDTV but I also had the same problem with my old, 32" 4:3 television. It's now affecting my gameplay to the point of frustration.

The problem is the pointer jumps 6-7" in two areas of the screen - the lower right corner and the lower left. I sit 6 feet away from the screen and have tried every sensitivity setting from 1-5 with the same results on every setting. No, there are no other IR sources in the TV area to confuse the Wiimote feedback. Same problem in the daytime or in total darkness (except for the TV, of course). I've also tried top placement and bottom sensor bar placement with no change.

Could it be a bad sensor bar?

[quote name='javeryh']Does this sound familiar?

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Well my guess is that you will have to poke the reset button with a paper clip, wait a minute then try to manually type admin for log in and password for the PW..IGNORE the extra stas/characters that it pops in as that's the stupid security feature.

Need some help!

I got my wii a week ago and got the wireless internet going. It wants me to d/l an update, but when I let it it takes FOREVER! Is there a setting to make it faster? I have a cable modem and this is crazy. I leave it on for an hour its only 40% done at most. It never gets any further cause my internet than fucks up and it loses the signal and it doesnt download.

[quote name='Ravenous']Need some help!

I got my wii a week ago and got the wireless internet going. It wants me to d/l an update, but when I let it it takes FOREVER! Is there a setting to make it faster? I have a cable modem and this is crazy. I leave it on for an hour its only 40% done at most. It never gets any further cause my internet than fucks up and it loses the signal and it doesnt download.[/quote]

Try changing your channel (on the wireless router) to channel 11. That should help speed it up a bit.

That, and stop browsing when you are downloading?

That seem to do it. Took an hour again and it finished quicker and I got the update. Ive noticed my net cable is losing connection about 3 times a day for up to 10 mins or more. I wonder if that was also a cause.

The wii remote that came with the system seems permently sync with the Nintendo Wii. However, the other Wii Remote that I bought doesn't sync with the Wii System. (tibit: It seems to work when I add it as a second player during Wii Sports. This involves shaking the remote like a deranged homeless man.)

When I synced my 2nd player controller it replaced the one that came with the wii as the 1st player! I than had to resync it and its now player 2.... what the fuck?

Quick question, is it really important to eject a game when the system is not in use? Ive been leaving my in there but since its vertical, maybe its critical to leave the system empty when not in use?

[quote name='Ravenous']When I synced my 2nd player controller it replaced the one that came with the wii as the 1st player! I than had to resync it and its now player 2.... what the fuck?

Quick question, is it really important to eject a game when the system is not in use? Ive been leaving my in there but since its vertical, maybe its critical to leave the system empty when not in use?[/QUOTE]

For syncing issues, look up the FAQ, since certain methods do "permasync" and others are meant to be temporary, "I-brought-my-Wiimote-to-my-friend's-house-for-WiiTennis" sync.

I don't know if that'll help anyone, but let us know.

I personally have not had a problem with leaving games in the system when not in use. I will stress that when you are MOVING your system, I would highly suggest removing any games. I left Rayman Rabbids in mine when I took it to another house, and while nothing happened, it did give me a shock of worry when it said it couldn't read the disc (especially since I had a launch unit, and thus the chance of it having a defect are higher than later systems). Ejecting it and replacing it back in the drive did fix it, of course, and I've never had another problem like it.

Also, I will point out that there was a firmware update that caused the system fan to run when WiiConnect24 is activated and the system is in standby mode. Before that update, the system was known to get more hot than it should, which did cause some people to have problems. Additionally, it is thought that this heat could ruin Gamecube Memory cards. (Come to think of it, I wonder if this could have affected SD cards too? I haven't heard any problems on that end.)

I guess the best answer is that you shouldn't have problems, but it isn't necessarily a bad idea to remove games/cards when you are done with the game. I have not had any problems leaving everything in the system.

I will try to help more in this thread, especially after Crotch's comment. :p

bread's done
Back