One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

Whole system froze while loading the Wii Shop channel today. The Wiimote went to discover mode (flashing lights at the bottom) and screen stayed black for about 3 minutes. I rebooted and was able to get on.

I think it was because I had my apartment's wireless router as the default internet, but I'm at my parents house using the DS Wifi USB Adaptor. Switched that to default and everything worked great.

I hope someone can help me with this issue:

I just got Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the Wii for Christmas and popped it in for the first time yesterday. I got through the first few rooms on the first level and when I paused the game to look at my character stats and then selected Wolverine, the game gave me the "The Disc cannot be read, please look in your Wii instruction manual for help" error. Freaking out, I turned off the Wii, re-booted it with the game, selected it from the Wii menu and when I clicked start, I got the same error.

I then erased the memory block save and I got to the game main menu, began a new game, got as far as the end of the intro movie then the came across the same error again.

I checked all my other Wii games (all six of them), the VC games, and they all worked without issue.

It seems weird to me that the MUA disc would allow me to have gameplay for 10 minutes and then never be readable for gameplay again.

Any thoughts?

I am returning the game to Best Buy tonight to pick up a replacement, but I fear something else may have contributed to this error. I have the latest firmware update with the Forecast channel and I have installed the beta Opera browser. The only thing I did yesterday, out of the norm, was play Phantasy Star Online I&II on the Wii, which was the first time I've ever played a GC game on the Wii.

I know I'm probably making more out of this than is there - I'm sure it's just a faulty MUA disc, but, in the back of my head, I think this error may repeat itself with the replacement MUA disc I get tonight.

EDIT: I think it just may have been the disc. I got a new MUA disc from Best Buy and made it through 2 hours of gameplay with no issues!

Nothing is wrong with my Wii but something is wrong with one of my Wiimotes. It cannot be recognized on start up of the system. The blue lights just flash. The annoying thing is that I can manually reconnect the remote so it's not that the remote is totally broken either. I need to manually reconnect it using my other Wiimote whenever I change menus or start up games too.

wjhard63

i got the same thing have rayman playing put it on pause for a half hour and got the back screen of death. now anything other than the wii menu i try to start within the first 30 seconds it shuts down. i tryed unpluging it and let it sit for 5 min but it still wont work any of the programs other than the menu. god nintendo better replace this lemon

I have a question about the Wi-Fi USB Connector.

I have it set-up and everything, and it works fine when I just installed it. After I turn off my Wii and my PC, however, it starts giving me problems. Like I'm sitting here typing up this post and my little Wi-Fi Icon on the system tray showed the "A user is connected to the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector." in one of those little yellow button a total of eighteen times. It's extremely annoying, and I'm not even using my Wii! I know if I deny the request it will stop popping up but then I'll have to re-install the program because the Wii will no longer go online. Does anyone else suffer from a similar problem?

I think it has to do with my firewall but I really don't know much about all that kind of stuff. I don't like the idea of leaving my firewall off 24/7 either.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I have a question about the Wi-Fi USB Connector.

I have it set-up and everything, and it works fine when I just installed it. After I turn off my Wii and my PC, however, it starts giving me problems. Like I'm sitting here typing up this post and my little Wi-Fi Icon on the system tray showed the "A user is connected to the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector." in one of those little yellow button a total of eighteen times. It's extremely annoying, and I'm not even using my Wii! I know if I deny the request it will stop popping up but then I'll have to re-install the program because the Wii will no longer go online. Does anyone else suffer from a similar problem?

I think it has to do with my firewall but I really don't know much about all that kind of stuff. I don't like the idea of leaving my firewall off 24/7 either.[/quote]

That's actually the way the Wii connects. Contrary to what Nintendo has said, the Wii isn't actually online 24/7. More accurately, it connects to the Internet every few minutes and checks for anything new to download (content, updates, messages, etc.).

I use the NWFC Adapter too, and the same thing happens to me. But I don't find the popup annoying. Its a small tiny corner of my screen that I never bother to look at, so I have no issues with it. If you don't like the sound it makes with each popup, you can turn that off in the sound control panel on your computer. I don't know of any way to stop the popup message itself.

Also, if you deny the request for the Wii to go online, you don't have to reinstall the entire adapter to allow it again. Just open up the NWFC registration tool, right click on your device, and change the setting to allow.

[quote name='jondis11']wjhard63

i got the same thing have rayman playing put it on pause for a half hour and got the back screen of death. now anything other than the wii menu i try to start within the first 30 seconds it shuts down. i tryed unpluging it and let it sit for 5 min but it still wont work any of the programs other than the menu. god nintendo better replace this lemon[/QUOTE]

Sorry, man. My issue seems to have cleared up, as it was just a bad disc and a new copy of Marvel seems to currently fix the issue.

If it's any consolation, I had a couple of issues with my Gamecube when I first got it and Nintendo was quick to fix each issue completely. From my experience, they're awesome with their customer service.

Good luck with your Wii - I hope you get it back soon.

Mine makes clicking noises while loading a game every now and then. It tells me to power off the system and eject the disk. I then restart it and everything is fine. Is this common at all?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']My Wii remote just stopped working out of the blue... on Christmas day of all days. I was going to play with my family, and now I can't even go buy another one because all the stores are closed... this sucks.

Anyway, I don't know what's wrong with it. The Wii won't detect it at all, the batteries are brand new. When I push any button the four lights on the bottom of the Wii mote light up, and that's it. I tried taking the back of the battery cover off and pushing the little red button, but that doesn't do anythign except make the Wiimote flash non-stop.[/QUOTE]

This just happened to me too with both of my Wiimotes. I found a help topic on Nintendo's website: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/wiiremote.jsp#resync

I'm going to go try it now. I'll update with whether or not it worked.

Edit: that didn't fix the problem, so I powered the Wii off and back on, then re-synched the remotes; after that, both remotes worked.

Does anyone else get flicker on the main Wii menu?

I have mine hooked up to a CRT HDTV with Nintendo component cables at 480p, widescreen. I notice is mostly on white/bright screens. There are horizontal lines that flicker occasionally. I haven't noticed it during gameplay yet. Anybody else notice this?

Also, I can't connect to the weather channel without having standby downloads enabled for WiiConnect24. Is this a known issue?

I've read through all 8 pages (bleh!) and I haven't seen this posted yet, so here goes.

I was playing bomberman with my brother the other day using wiimotes and I noticed that the controls were really loose. Then I noticed that it simply wasn't registering me pressing the 2 button every now and then. Furthermore, it seemed like the 1 button was registering as being pressed without my input. My only other VC game (gunstar heroes) works fine with the wiimote and I haven't had any other wiimote issues.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did anyone get a 101305 error? I got one after configuring my wireless settings and updating for the first time. It tried to update again, but that error came up. I changed the wireless channele (from 11 to 8)...still didn't work. After several retrys....it worked. Everything updated and such...I guess the network was busy at 2:30 am Central time :???:

Tonight I was playing Zelda for a while everything was good. I saved, then just had the intro playing for about 15 mins while I was doing things around the house. Then I looked at the screen and got a disc read error, it told me to eject the disc, turn off the power and look at the manual. The manual told me to unplug it for five minutes and try again. I turned the console on and it can't read my zelda or any of the other 3 games I have (wii sports, metal slug, trauma center.) I got a feeling I'm gonna have to get it replaced. Has anyone else had this problem? Let me know. Thanks.

[quote name='blair2100']Tonight I was playing Zelda for a while everything was good. I saved, then just had the intro playing for about 15 mins while I was doing things around the house. Then I looked at the screen and got a disc read error, it told me to eject the disc, turn off the power and look at the manual. The manual told me to unplug it for five minutes and try again. I turned the console on and it can't read my zelda or any of the other 3 games I have (wii sports, metal slug, trauma center.) I got a feeling I'm gonna have to get it replaced. Has anyone else had this problem? Let me know. Thanks.[/quote]Doesn't sound good. Let it "rest" overnight, and if it's still acting up, give Nintendo a buzz.

[quote name='zyblorg']My remote doesn't work for Excite Truck. It responds to the buttons (turbo, gas, etc.), and the truck will even raise its wheels appropriately on jumps, but when it comes to simple turning (left, right), it just plain doesn't work. Oddly enough, neither of my controllers do. I've tried resyncing them, and that doesn't do me any good. Anyone else had this problem? It's odd that both my remotes are suffering from the same axis problem.[/quote]

Odd to be quoting myself, but this problem just isn't going away. All too often with this game, the remotes just stop responding to turning. I have to unplug the console in order to get things back on track -- and after I've done that, everything's hunky dory. This happens pretty frequently.

Is this problem a console-returning bug, or just a weird glitch that Excite Truck inspires? I've not read anyone else having this problem with that game, but I've had this problem just with ET--Wii Sports, Rayman, and Elebits all work fine.

C'mon, Wii sages, impart your wisdom.

Arrived home from a long day a few days ago at work to find my Wii standby light off. Unplugged it, waited a few min then replugged and the red standby light comes on but when I hit power or eject (Wiisports is in there; I never kept in the cardboard sleeve in-between plays), the blue light and green power light will flash on for a second but then they both go dark and it doesn't respond anymore. I've tried this several times with the same result. I read Nintendo's website about "power" problems but it didn't help. already thought of ejecting the disc, but essentially the same thing happens when I hit eject, the red light goes to green then immediately loses power and the disc doesn't eject. My wii sports is TRAPPED!!!! *&%@#$%

the big N is taking their sweet time shipping me out a new AC adapter (hopefully it's not the console)

I have a problem with VC games, I downloaded Gunstar Heroes and when I try to play it the screen keeps blanking out like it is skipping frames. I'm using the composite cables on a Dell 32" LCD HDTV. Anybody had a similar problem? I posted this at a couple of other forums to no response. Must not be a wide-spread issue.

Well, I'm having my first Wii-problem. It all started today. I played Wii Sports for a bit, and when I went back to the menu the pointer started acting funny. It would like sort of blink rapidly then start bouncing all over the place. It also disappeared, reappeared, then disappeared again. I had no clue what was going on.

I changed the batteries on both remotes and that didn't solve the problem. I thien unplugged everything again (I left the whole console unplugged from the night before because something similar happened), but again no fix.

Can anyone help me? I would like to get this solved fast.

[quote name='munch']Well, I'm having my first Wii-problem. It all started today. I played Wii Sports for a bit, and when I went back to the menu the pointer started acting funny. It would like sort of blink rapidly then start bouncing all over the place. It also disappeared, reappeared, then disappeared again. I had no clue what was going on.

I changed the batteries on both remotes and that didn't solve the problem. I thien unplugged everything again (I left the whole console unplugged from the night before because something similar happened), but again no fix.

Can anyone help me? I would like to get this solved fast.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... Could be a bad IR emitter. Try 2 candles (placed the same distance apart as the length of the sensor bar) to see if that is the problem. If the candles work then it is your (improperly named) sensor bar (which is really an emitter bar).

That's at least something you can try before having to send the Wii back to Nintendo (or get a new one from them).

[quote name='io']Hmmm... Could be a bad IR emitter. Try 2 candles (placed the same distance apart as the length of the sensor bar) to see if that is the problem. If the candles work then it is your (improperly named) sensor bar (which is really an emitter bar).

That's at least something you can try before having to send the Wii back to Nintendo (or get a new one from them).[/QUOTE]

Wait, what is all of that? What do I do now? Is there a link that explains that?

Just put a couple candles or pretty much any other pair of light sources on/below your TV in place of the sensor bar (all it's doing is emitting IR). If that makes it better, then it would appear that your sensor bar is flaking out, and you should be able to get Nintendo to ship you out a replacement.

If it doesn't help, try a different Wiimote? Could be the IR camera on your remote. Also make sure there isn't any other light source that might be interfering with the remote in the general area of the TV (see daroga's Christmas tree issue).

[quote name='botticus']Just put a couple candles or pretty much any other pair of light sources on/below your TV in place of the sensor bar (all it's doing is emitting IR). If that makes it better, then it would appear that your sensor bar is flaking out, and you should be able to get Nintendo to ship you out a replacement.

If it doesn't help, try a different Wiimote? Could be the IR camera on your remote. Also make sure there isn't any other light source that might be interfering with the remote in the general area of the TV (see daroga's Christmas tree issue).[/QUOTE]

Ok, when I played yesterday the blinds were open and bringing light in. That could be the deal. I'll try it out when I get home on Sunday. It's just weird since everything else seemed to be working fine. Thanks for the help everyone.

Everyday I have to clear my wireless connection settings and set it up again. The frusterating part is that I have to scan access ports multiple times because it's picking up my neighbors house across the street before it picks up mine from 5 feet away. And even then I have to test the connection a dozen times before I get a success. Just wondering if you could offer any advice. Thanks!

I have a Westell Versalink 327W Wireless router. It was free for signing up for Verizon DSL, but it works flawlessly. I have 4 computers hooked up wireless and my XBOX 360 wired into it.

[quote name='munch']Ok, when I played yesterday the blinds were open and bringing light in. That could be the deal. I'll try it out when I get home on Sunday. It's just weird since everything else seemed to be working fine. Thanks for the help everyone.[/QUOTE]

Just an update:

I think the natural light coming was the problem. I've had zero interference with the blinds closed. Thanks for the tip!

I've had the jitters for the last couple of days. It even in a dark room with no other light/IR sources. Out of the box a month ago, cursor movement was smooth as silk, but now the hand seems to stutter and sometimes disappear for split seconds. I'll try the IR trick with some candles - thanks all.

I have another question, though.

Is my Wii slot supposed to be throbbing when I get a message ? The light gets brighter and dimmer in what seems like five second intervals. It looks almost like there's a bad electrical connection - or is it supposed to do this ?

[quote name='bmulligan']
I have another question, though.

Is my Wii slot supposed to be throbbing when I get a message ? The light gets brighter and dimmer in what seems like five second intervals. It looks almost like there's a bad electrical connection - or is it supposed to do this ?[/QUOTE]

It does, indeed, throb with anticipation ;).

[quote name='io']It does, indeed, throb with anticipation ;).[/quote]Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that peculiar use of throb.

Does anyone elses Wii slow down when left on standby and not been used for a couple of days?

Mine seems to have longer times to load and has black screens when swtiching between the channels...

[quote name='JokerCard']Does anyone elses Wii slow down when left on standby and not been used for a couple of days?

Mine seems to have longer times to load and has black screens when swtiching between the channels...[/quote]I can't speak for load times, but the black screens are normal.

Hmmmm. . . . The past couple of times I've left the Mii channel it got stuck on the black screen. I wonder what the deal is?

I've had many black screen crashes as well. I put in Wii Sports yesterday and the system froze after pressing Start on the channel title screen - again!

I played bowling last week with my kid and on the 9th frame he scored a strike and the ball stopped and continued spinning for at least 30 seconds after knocking the pins down. It just sat there spinning, then took off to the back of the alley and the game resumed.

Locking up is particularly common while using the browser, though, which I can excuse, but during a game ? I'm starting to get worried.

Sometimes it may seem likeit locks up in a black screen, but check the remote when the screen goes black: if there are no lights on, then it's rebooting into the other channel. Sometimes it takes a while for some reason, but it's not frozen. If you have a black screen for an extended period of time, but the light on the remote has been on the whole time (unless it's gone off due to inactivity), then it's frozen.

I don't think I've had a freeze-up in about a month or so.

[quote name='botticus']Sometimes it may seem likeit locks up in a black screen, but check the remote when the screen goes black: if there are no lights on, then it's rebooting into the other channel. Sometimes it takes a while for some reason, but it's not frozen. If you have a black screen for an extended period of time, but the light on the remote has been on the whole time (unless it's gone off due to inactivity), then it's frozen.

I don't think I've had a freeze-up in about a month or so.[/quote]

Last night it took about 45 seconds for it to get to the Mii channel after I clicked on it. I was just about to unplug the console when it suddenly came to life.

I really hope they can pin down the problem and patch it with an update.

That good to know that at least im not the only one experiencing this problem....Does the heat from the standby mode affect it at all?

[quote name='JokerCard']That good to know that at least im not the only one experiencing this problem....Does the heat from the standby mode affect it at all?[/quote]

Not that anyone has noticed. I assume the system is simply designed that way, and that Nintendo is well aware of it generating heat.

Just a side effect of the fan being off, that's all.

One thing with the Mii Channel in particular is that if there are any connection problems (which are caused by god knows what - for example, if you go to click into your address book and it tells you there's a problem with WiiConnect24), it will take forever to load, because it's attempting to contact the server to get any Miis that were sent to you, and the timeout period they set is apparently a rather long one. That's one definitive cause of a delay, there are probably others.

Seems like I'm getting the disk errors to. It has happened with Red Steel and Rayman the first time I put them in. Actually they started, played out of sync, and had to reset them. Then it gave the disk error for each. Turned off the console and reloaded the games. They seem fine now. Wii Sports started the same way, but did not get the disk error.

Not hooked up to the net yet.

Used my Wii yesterday and it worked fine.

This evening I went to power it on and when I pressed the wiimote power button the four LEDs all blinked and the system did not turn on. I turn on the system manually and it is not seeing the wiimote. Just all the LEDs on the wiimote blink when I press any button. I tried two different wiimotes.

Any ideas?

My wii's internet connection is really odd. I have yet to be able to access the store (the little wheel never stops spinning) but I've downloaded 2 updates and I can view the weather and the news.

I've tried clearing the internet settings and re-adding them to no avail. Any suggestions?

[quote name='smaaug']Used my Wii yesterday and it worked fine.

This evening I went to power it on and when I pressed the wiimote power button the four LEDs all blinked and the system did not turn on. I turn on the system manually and it is not seeing the wiimote. Just all the LEDs on the wiimote blink when I press any button. I tried two different wiimotes.

Any ideas?[/quote]Unplug the power let it sit for a few moments and plug it back in. It's a weird and random issue, but that's the easy solution.

Has anyone actually sent their console in for repairs and gotten it back yet (as in, not the quick replacement method)? Mine is showing the GPU issues detailed in another thread and I know it'll need to be sent back soon and it will need to be sent in the slow way since I've got a good $40-50 in VC games on the thing that I'd rather not lose. :) My main question is, are they able to transfer everything over to the new system if need be, including the address book and your old Wii System code. It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult, the DS when system settings are transfered from one unit to another keeps all your friend codes intact. I'd just like to not have to reenter 40 codes, nor have 40 people reenter mine.

Thanks!

[quote name='Sn0brawler']My wii's internet connection is really odd. I have yet to be able to access the store (the little wheel never stops spinning) but I've downloaded 2 updates and I can view the weather and the news.

I've tried clearing the internet settings and re-adding them to no avail. Any suggestions?[/quote]
Have you changed your wireless router's channel to 1 or 11? That seems to work, despite it making very little sense to me.

Apologies if this has already been covered, I don't have time to read through the whole thread right now. Has anyone had any audio issues with the Wii? My Wii was working fine last night, but this morning I noticed that the startup music was very faint, and when I turned the volume up and played a bit of Wii Sports I noticed that the sound was crackling. Popped Wario Ware in, same issue. I checked all my connections, unplugged the Wii and plugged it back in, did the same with the TV, and still heard the crackle. When I'm not using the Wii, the audio from the TV is fine so I don't think the TV is the issue. Any thoughts?

Edit: I fiddled around some more with the connections, turning the TV and the Wii on and off, and checking the fan for dust, and whatever it was, it's not happening any more. I think I concur with what daroga said in his Killer 7 thread:

[quote name='daroga']We're convinced that the Wii has nanobots in it to fix things--but maybe they're more aware than we thought, not just taking care of the Wii but watching for an opportunity.[/quote]

Hi all,

One of my Wiimotes just stopped working. All of the buttons work and the wiimote can still operate as a pointer in the menus.

However, the wiimote will NOT work for any 'motion sensing' activities such as swinging the bat in Wii baseball, etc... I am assuming I have a faulty remote. However, I just thought I'd check to see if others have had this happen…and what you did about it.

Thanks!

Apologies if this topic has already been covered…

[quote name='farmecologist']Hi all,

One of my Wiimotes just stopped working. All of the buttons work and the wiimote can still operate as a pointer in the menus.

However, the wiimote will NOT work for any 'motion sensing' activities such as swinging the bat in Wii baseball, etc... I am assuming I have a faulty remote. However, I just thought I'd check to see if others have had this happen…and what you did about it.

Thanks!

Apologies if this topic has already been covered…[/quote]Sounds like a faulty remote. Give Nintendo a buzz and see what they say. The remotes are actually covered by a similar warranty as the consoles.

Just got my replacement Wii. Put in the order last Thursday and received it today. My disks actually load now. Seems like it has all the updates already. Just need to pick up a new router and I'll be set for VC. :)

Problem with my wiimote...any help is appreciated.

Works on menu...everything. Until I get in game. I click on tennis, set up a game, but when the characters are playing, he doesn't swing his racket. I hit menu, the motion sensor hand is there now...go back to the game...not responding. The buttons A B and all that jazz respond...just not the motion.

This happens to all my games.

If the description is unclear I can provide a video.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']Problem with my wiimote...any help is appreciated.

Works on menu...everything. Until I get in game. I click on tennis, set up a game, but when the characters are playing, he doesn't swing his racket. I hit menu, the motion sensor hand is there now...go back to the game...not responding. The buttons A B and all that jazz respond...just not the motion.

This happens to all my games.

If the description is unclear I can provide a video.[/quote]Well, from that description it sounds like the accelerometers got hosed, since those are what is sensing the movement. What other games have you tried?

[quote name='botticus']Well, from that description it sounds like the accelerometers got hosed, since those are what is sensing the movement. What other games have you tried?[/quote]

Raving Rabbids...monkey ball...zelda...wario ware...

Again, I don't get it. The pointer works fine. I can create miis, sift through menus, no problem. But the second ANY game action occurs...like, setting up a game of tennis or bowling, once it starts I can't move the characters with the mote.

Does anyone else have problems connecting to the wii store? I get a lot of errors while trying to access the store, which kind of sucks because I am not able to buy the vc games if I can't get to the store. i can user the weather and news fine but the store just doesn't want to work. I have got it to work a few times and got a few vc games but lately it will not work. If I do get to the store when going through the menu to access different vc games it will have errors. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong.

bread's done
Back