Orange Box for $9.99 on STEAM this weekend

I'm glad valve understands how to price a game - I'm just like others - I already played most of the game content in here, and I actually already bought Portal on PC for my brother, but here I am again buying this, because I want play TF2 on my PC.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Valve has a doomsday zombie apocalypse plan in case their company fails, you still will be able to get your games.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='msdmoney']But for any Valve game, the physical copy means nothing other than a quicker install.[/QUOTE]

I prefer tangible goods over virtual ones and ownership over rental. The game is already archived for me. The price to acquire the title was the exact same as this digital only version. I can easily modify my physical copy to work without Steam, but this is not a forum built for that type of discussion.

I bit. Thanks OP.

I've never played any of these games, save for about an hour of Half Life. What's the word on licenses here? Never having used Steam before, I'm wanting to know if I can ever reformat my computer without worry of reinstalling the games. Or better yet, if I can get a new computer and play the games on that.

Any input would be appreciated.

It's not renting, god the steam hate is sickening. You can reinstall the games as many times as you want, just need the steam client. Also, Steam is DRM done right, it's hardly a hinderance and come on, the steam features ingame are invaluable. Like IMing.

Hell yes ive been waiting for this to go on sale. Ever since i built my pc with my 4870x2 i wanna see half life in 1680x1050 8xaa 16xaf maxed out.

Never expected this to happen, so I jumped the shark with the Best Buy deal. Well not jump the shark, same price plus tax etc. Enjoy games, they're meant to be played.

i dont think my pc can handle this. time to find out, if it does im all over it. the orange box has half life 2 right? i won half life 2 episode 1 a year ago for pc.

[quote name='s2k']Hell yes ive been waiting for this to go on sale. Ever since i built my pc with my 4870x2 i wanna see half life in 1680x1050 8xaa 16xaf maxed out.[/QUOTE]

4870x2 - 400$
Orange Box - 10$

Running an old game that basically takes no advantage of your new hardware at a relatively low resolution by today's standards - Priceless

[quote name='opportunity777']I prefer tangible goods over virtual ones and ownership over rental. The game is already archived for me. The price to acquire the title was the exact same as this digital only version. I can easily modify my physical copy to work without Steam, but this is not a forum built for that type of discussion.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaah, I see. Well the dimwits at Valve would have had a $50 purchase from me on launch day in '04 (actually I would have preordered), if not for activation.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']It's not renting, god the steam hate is sickening. You can reinstall the games as many times as you want, just need the steam client. Also, Steam is DRM done right, it's hardly a hinderance and come on, the steam features ingame are invaluable. Like IMing.[/QUOTE]

It is renting. If you have to check in with someone to get to play what you "bought", you don't own it. Granted, Steam is one of the best of a terrible breed, but that's not a ringing endorsement for it.

[quote name='DrNo888']Sigh..my PS3 copy is still sealed. We need more than 24 hours in a day dammit![/QUOTE]

Or if I could avoid sleep while everyone else has to... :D

I had the PS3 version too, and did at least play Portal. Liked it at first, but got stuck later on.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I find the games still look damn beautiful still though.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, although really Farcry 1/Doom 3/Half Life 2 were the start of this graphical generation, it's just there weren't consoles that could run them 'till a year or two later.
I'm STILL amazed by this generation though. I'm playing Assassin's Creed right now, and it's just amazing (aside from some pop up and stuff, but it's sooooooo far beyond last gen).

[quote name='basis']and just to confirm we can apply mods to the STEAM versions as well?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, yes, you can use mods on STEAM versions.

Have this on 360 but it doesn't feel right to Play HL2 on the console for some reason...

Have TF2 for PC, but not Portal for PC.

Decisions decisions...

[quote name='Wolfpup']
I had the PS3 version too, and did at least play Portal. Liked it at first, but got stuck later on.[/quote]
Stuck? It takes like 2 hours to beat!

I want to get this for ep. 1 and 2 since I have the other 3, but I can't gift the other games to a friend if I buy this?

[quote name='Clarke']Stuck? It takes like 2 hours to beat![/QUOTE]

QFT. If you just look at any situation in the game for a while, you will figure it out, at least in the story mode.

I got stuck on the last advanced challenge. :cry:

Not sure if I should get this.... I played HL2 till Rayhoven and Portal made me feel sick after about 10 mins of playing....

wolf, I understand your issue with steam and having to "check in". However, Im really against DRM, but I love Steam. It doesn't even come into thought when playing a game. I was also around back in early 2000 when there was a huge uproar over steam too, I never had a good computer to do much gaming. The only thing that pissed me off was that my friends and I shared one copy of Day of Defeat then when steam became mandatory it was one copy per person Q.Q.

Anyway, for the price I paid for my steam games Ill happily deal with Steam. After all, whether it's physical or Digital we all end up with the same copy irregardless. If that's the way you feel then that's cool, I won't judge ya but Im not going to get into whether I own this or that. Afterall they are just selling us a license to use the game and Steam just keeps track of the license for you making it easier.

[quote name='iowaholdem']I bit. Thanks OP.

I've never played any of these games, save for about an hour of Half Life. What's the word on licenses here? Never having used Steam before, I'm wanting to know if I can ever reformat my computer without worry of reinstalling the games. Or better yet, if I can get a new computer and play the games on that.

Any input would be appreciated.[/quote]

Heck yeah. Uninstall, reinstall... whatever. No penalties. You can even go to a friend's house, login to Steam, download your Steam games and play. If you reformat or buy a new PC, just setup Steam, login and download. No need to hunt for discs, keys, or patches.

This is pretty amazing. I already have the 360 version, and I've never used Steam before, so I'm a little iffy on if I need it enough, but I could probably be convinced.

[quote name='Clarke']Stuck? It takes like 2 hours to beat![/QUOTE]

No way is that game 2 hours. Regardless, the latter stuff is really hard. Consider yourself privileged for blowing through it :D

[quote name='Hyperlancer']I want to get this for ep. 1 and 2 since I have the other 3, but I can't gift the other games to a friend if I buy this?[/QUOTE]

You can only gift Half-Life 2 and Episode 1. Not sure about Episode 2. Portal and TF2 are a definite no.

Steam will stay with you forever. First you make an account then you purchase games on it and it will not go any where. As long as you don't use hacks Steam won't ban you unlike some people... Back to your question once you reformat you will need to re-download the games and you are able to log on to other computers. I recommend creating a backup CD of the games you play the most. Just right click your game on steam and backup.

[quote name='kevlar51']Well now I'm upset I bought TF2 and Portal during the Christmas sale ($15 total)[/QUOTE]

you're telling me. I'm quite upset I bought TF2 only for $10 back after the scout update

I guess I heard wrong then. My apologies. Not being able to gift the other three games if you already own them is disappointing.

[quote name='Geello']Tried out TF2... God I hate FPS where people are running 1000 mph.[/quote]

:) I never really thought of TF2 as fast. Faster than Call of Duty, Halo, Gears, Killzone...actually any FPS on console but if you think TF2 is fast, don't touch Unreal anything.

edit: Oh, and if anyone is wondering if you should try out Steam or not, I'd highly recommend it (especially for these great weekend deals). Not only is it really convienent (the only DRM is being logged into Steam) but being able to chat and/or VoiP chat with multiple friends at the same time.

[quote name='wasabi5858']Not a FPS kind of guy (motion sickness), but I bit. Guess I will finally get to see what Portal is all about.[/quote] me too :X

Ive had Half-Life 2 forever.. never had the desire to finish it. I held off on the orange box because I dont like TF2. Picked this up today so I could try out the expansions and Portal, figure 10$ is as low as its going to go.

Now I need to figure out to do with my extra HL2 copy.

A short story on why STEAM is awesome:

My first STEAM game was Half-Life 1 and a bunch of the multiplayer games in one big set that I bought more than 10 years ago. I have now installed that game onto 6 different personal computers. I lost my discs 6 years ago, and one of them broke 7 years ago. YET I CAN STILL PLAY THE GAMES AND DOWNLOAD THEM ANYTIME I WANT.

Honestly, CDs are pretty fragile when you think about it. Even if you take care of them better than most, stuff happens like tiny scratches, etc.

ALSO I've put over 400 hours into The Orange Box so far, so I think you should be able to get your money's worth.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']You can only gift Half-Life 2 and Episode 1. Not sure about Episode 2. Portal and TF2 are a definite no.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it's only HL2 and Episode 1 you can gift.

[quote name='Geello']Tried out TF2... God I hate FPS where people are running 1000 mph.[/QUOTE]
Uh...

I already have The Orange Box for PC. If I buy it again, can I gift Portal to someone and use the 2nd copy of TF2 for LAN purposes (play it on two computers at once)? Or am I out of luck on both counts?

Maybe someone should post this Steam FAQ in the OP?

Extra copies are a special promotion for users who:
  1. Purchase the “Left 4 Dead Four Pack” on Steam
  2. Own “Half-Life 2” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack"
  3. Own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and/or “Half-Life 2: Episode Two” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”
This special offer will allow you to send your extra game copy or copies to a friend who does not already own the game.

Do any other games available on Steam work this way?

No. This special offer only applies to “Half-Life 2,” “Half-Life 2: Episode One,” “Half-Life 2: Episode Two,” and the “Left 4 Dead Four Pack” as stated above.

[quote name='Archon29']I already have The Orange Box for PC. If I buy it again, can I gift Portal to someone and use the 2nd copy of TF2 for LAN purposes (play it on two computers at once)? Or am I out of luck on both counts?[/quote]

I suppose you could always create a new Steam account for just the $10 copy of TOB.

bread's done
Back