PAX Prime 2012 Thread: Post (your) PAX (impressions and pics) Edition!

[quote name='blueshinra']Considering that Penny Arcade itself is headquartered in Seattle... yeaaaah, they aren't going to move Prime outside that metro area.

Speaking of which, here's what Gabe had to say about the pass situation.[/QUOTE]

But PAX is no longer targeting just the local market. They have to consider moving to Los Angles, San Francisco, or San Diego.

They could also consider a third PAX, like CtrlAltDft said. (But then I'd feel obliged to go to any PAX Central, should that happen, to meet up with my Midwestern gamer friends...)

Looks like I'll have to start Mario 3D and Mario Kart then ;). My younger son started both but got bored pretty quickly with them. I am, however, playing SMG 2 right now so I'm on a bit of a Mario kick. I might as well start those up soon.

[quote name='blueshinra']Considering that Penny Arcade itself is headquartered in Seattle... yeaaaah, they aren't going to move Prime outside that metro area.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like it's not out of the question, from your link:
[quote name='Gabe']Have we talked about moving the show? Yes.[/QUOTE]
There aren't any bigger convention centers in the Seattle area, so it would only make sense to move it farther.

Now that I think about it, adding events probably does more harm then good. I didn't really know much about / consider going to the Seattle PAX until I'd been to PAX East.

[quote name='pete5883']Sounds like it's not out of the question, from your link:
I didn't really know much about / consider going to the Seattle PAX until I'd been to PAX East.[/QUOTE]

At this rate, PAX East is going to sell out in three hours...

[quote name='pete5883']Sounds like it's not out of the question, from your link:[/QUOTE]
Yep, saw that too. I just don't see it happening, personally. It's ultimately up to them, of course :p

[quote name='CtrlAltDft']At this rate, PAX East is going to sell out in three hours...[/QUOTE]

PAX East has like half again as much room, from what I've been told from friends who work both.

I'd think the most reasonable solution is to move it from Seattle, as much as I don't like the idea. Having a third event would be a logistical nightmare because the people running it work their balls off just to get two done a year.

Tracked down a Saturday pass, I'll be there! We should be landing early Thursday afternoon, leaving Monday morning I guess.

I heard the news earlier, but yay! :)

As for a CAG meetup, I know the schedule isn't up yet, but here's what I'm thinking. What we did last year was go out to dinner shortly after the closing ceremonies (though bitprophet and I met up with metaly the day before). We could do something like that again if everyone's still around, though it's looking like there would be more of us this time.

Thursday evening is doable for me as well, but post-PAX might be better since it would give us more to talk about. During the show would be tough if everyone's schedules don't match up.

That works for me. I'm most likely staying an extra day so something at the end works out well.

Wow - such a lack of activity in this thread. I guess not that many CAGs are actually going?

By the way, I got my passes in the mail today!

Yeah, mine came as well.

We bought our plane tickets last week. It's actually cheaper for us to stay until Tuesday, so we'll have some time for sightseeing after all :)

Been really sick for the past few days, so I haven't gone out to check the mail. Hope they're sitting in the mailbox :)

Will be doing some sightseeing the day before myself. Do any of the locals have recommendations?

Havent seen anything yet...I know Zenprime got his so I should be getting mine. I did apply for a press pass so hopefully that comes through

I am up again for our Post-PAX Dinner.
Got my passes, getting little side stuff taken care of. My Pre-PAX Madness is at about 40-50% now. That's pretty low for me at this close to show. I'm attributing that to this being my 5th PAX. Maybe I should volunteer for Enforcer duty next year.

[quote name='io']Wow - such a lack of activity in this thread. I guess not that many CAGs are actually going?[/QUOTE]

Man, don't remind me. I was unemployed when the tickets first went on sale, and couldn't commit to the expense without a job. And the darn things sold out in only a week. Now I've managed to get contract work, and I could afford to go, but it's too late to pick up tickets. And I can't just fly up there hoping to get scalped tickets.

Still, I hope all you guys/gals enjoy yourselves. I got to go last year and absolutely loved it. Be sure to get in line for all of the Omegathon events, they were a lot of fun to watch.

Thanks for the link, Pete :)

We got our own passes this past Saturday. Just waiting for the schedule to go up now. Currently can't think of any Expo Hall things I want to see other than Nintendo's new hardware (both the 3DS XL and the WiiU) and hopefully Project P-100.

Eh I wont be able to make a post Pax Dinner most likely. Well Im leaving from my Inlaws on Monday and they live about 30 mins away so I might be able to make it. Ive got a Fri/Sat pass.

Got the media pass...I need to find a way to get rid of my fri/sat pass

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Richard Kain']Man, don't remind me. I was unemployed when the tickets first went on sale, and couldn't commit to the expense without a job. And the darn things sold out in only a week. Now I've managed to get contract work, and I could afford to go, but it's too late to pick up tickets. And I can't just fly up there hoping to get scalped tickets.

Still, I hope all you guys/gals enjoy yourselves. I got to go last year and absolutely loved it. Be sure to get in line for all of the Omegathon events, they were a lot of fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

I have a friday pass if you're interested. PM me.

[quote name='soulvengeance']I have a friday pass if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

No, thanks anyway, though. I live too far away to justify the trip for just one day. If I was in the Seattle area, I could just skip down there for one day, or risk buying scalped tickets. But where I'm at I would have to reserve a plane flight just to get there, as well as make hotel arrangements. When I went last year, I spent far more on the trip itself than I did on the tickets.

I'll make sure I get in next year.

Heh, this Pre-PAX Doctor Who TV Dinner with an intermission "Doctor Who-inspired cabaret burlesque act" show sounds neat.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165083/prime-pre-pax-event-doctor-who-fans-look-inside

And here are some pages with lists of PAX Parties (expect some overlap):
- http://www.sidequesting.com/2012/07/the-big-pax-prime-2012-party-list-events-parties-and-more/
- http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/164988/prime-pax-prime-2012-parties

The Seattle .party() 2012 sounds interesting.

[quote name='blueshinra']The schedule's up! - http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule[/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks!

How do these work? You line up beforehand or something? Can everyone attend the "MAIN" ones or are they limited too?

Also, how do the tournaments work. I'm sure my son would love to play in the Halo Reach tourney - how do you get a spot? And I saw a Katamari tourney on there - maybe I could give that one a shot ;).

Hm, nothing all that exciting for me on the schedule. I'll have to take a closer look at the panels, but nothing's really jumping out at me as a must-go.

[quote name='io']How do these work? You line up beforehand or something? Can everyone attend the "MAIN" ones or are they limited too?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and if it's something popular line up wayyy beforehand.

[quote name='pete5883']I'll have to take a closer look at the panels, but nothing's really jumping out at me as a must-go.[/QUOTE]

You must attend every round of the Omegathon that you can get to. You will have to line up quite a bit ahead of time just to get in, but its worth it. I couldn't believe how excited everyone could get over seeing some of those games played competitively, but the energy in the crowd was incredible. Last year one of the rounds was Lumines, and the entire audience was almost screaming with excitement. One of the contestants got a standing ovation when he had a particularly impressive performance.

So what is everyone hoping to see and play? Last of Us, AC3, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, etc? I need some ideas on what I should be pumped about seeing.

Schedule update: There's now panels featuring Wil Wheaton and Hideo Kojima (yep). Check the official site for further info.

[quote name='kube00']So what is everyone hoping to see and play? Last of Us, AC3, Dishonored, Borderlands 2, etc? I need some ideas on what I should be pumped about seeing.[/QUOTE]
Can't think of much for me aside from Platinum's WiiU game and getting hands-on time with the 3DS XL. Maybe AC3...

Still thinking about which panels and such I want to go to as well; haven't even printed out the schedule yet.

I'd love to see Kojima (or the WiiU) but then I start thinking how long the lines are going to be for that and I dunno.

I did a preliminary run through the schedule but it looks like they've been adding things secretly, so I'll have to go back. Is there anywhere that calls out the new stuff specifically? The PAX Twitter hasn't been doing a great job.

I'm gonna have to at least try to get to the Kojima one. Might just get in line as early as possible. Saturday's the busiest day, so it's not like I'd want to be on the convention floor anyway.

Also in case anyone didn't see earlier, there's some Final Fantasy 25th anniversary event from 1-9pm on Friday. At 7:30 they're probably going to announce FFXIII-3, synced with the Japanese announcement at some even they're holding.
[quote name='blueshinra']Holy hell. Just found out that there's a panel with NASA. Yes, that NASA. Was this always on the schedule or did I just overlook it?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure that's new.

So, it is really easy to take a train or shuttle or something from the airport to downtown? I was going to rent a car 1-way (both ways) and go without in the middle since the Valet parking fees are so ridiculous. But I was just checking out 1-day, 1-way car rentals and they are ridiculously expensive (like $140 each way). Plus, it appears the car rental terminal in downtown Seattle is closed the day I would have to pick up my car to return (since it is Labor Day).

On the other hand, flights, even this short notice, are surprisingly cheap (about $200). It would still cost a bit more (as me and my son are going), especially factoring in how much a shuttle/train costs. But I just wanted to see if it was an easy thing to do before committing to the flight. I liked the flexibility of driving but may have to pass.

Alright, just bought tickets since it is 2 weeks advance at this point and it looks like they go up a bit when less than that.

Someone must have wanted me to go this year. For some reason, 12 days before PAX on a whim I decided I wanted to go this year.

I was able to find a reasonable priced 3 day pass that was too jacked up in price. The bus fare, roundtrip is only $45 since I live in Portland, OR and I was able to find a room share for $150 for the entire weekend.

I am happy everything seemed to come together.

[quote name='Cephiros']Someone must have wanted me to go this year. For some reason, 12 days before PAX on a whim I decided I wanted to go this year.

I was able to find a reasonable priced 3 day pass that was too jacked up in price. The bus fare, roundtrip is only $45 since I live in Portland, OR and I was able to find a room share for $150 for the entire weekend.

I am happy everything seemed to come together.[/QUOTE]

Doh, I never considered bus fare. I'm coming from roughly the same place and got plane tickets (x 2) for $200 each. Oh wells... And I'm paying way, way more for a hotel ;).

[quote name='io']Doh, I never considered bus fare. I'm coming from roughly the same place and got plane tickets (x 2) for $200 each. Oh wells... And I'm paying way, way more for a hotel ;).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Bolt Bus is a joint operation between Greyhound/Peter Pan bus lines but the NW part is operated by Greyhound. Much cheaper and no stops to Seattle.

Yes, you might be paying way more for a hotel but I'm going to be sharing with 5 strangers and probably sleep on the floor some of the time. However, a chance to make friends. :)

Ughgghgh I gotta finalize my schedule. Saturday is pretty open for me so I might try for the Kojima panel if anyone wants to hang out in line.

I'll have the usual Mario Kart, Tetris DS, Monster Hunter, etc. as a backup. :)

Updated the OP with meetup info. RSVP in this thread (if you haven't already)!

As for panels, did my first pass of the schedule this past weekend. My one absolute must-see right now is Insider Insight: Awesome Video Game Data II. "Part I" was the best panel I attended at last year's show.

Not 100% sure yet what games I'm bringing, though I'm currently playing Kirby Mass Attack, so there's that. Funnily enough, I had first tried that out at the previous PAX Prime!

bread's done
Back