PAX Prime 2012 Thread: Post (your) PAX (impressions and pics) Edition!

I will most likely be able to make it. I'll be with my son so we'll see how he handles that ;).

If any of you have nothing to do and can somehow get a hold of a PAX Sona skin code for League of Legends, I'd greatly appreciate it. Make a quick $10. :p

[quote name='soulvengeance']Geez, didn't know so many people from Portland were going, I could have offered a ride. I get off of work at 6 and plan to drive up Thursday.[/QUOTE]

That would have been cool, but too bad Bolt Bus tickets are non-refundable. However the one saving grace it is non stop to Seattle. Super excited I was able to pull this off with only 12 days before it PAX happening and not too much out of my pocket.

I'm RSVPing!

[quote name='metaly']Ughgghgh I gotta finalize my schedule. Saturday is pretty open for me so I might try for the Kojima panel if anyone wants to hang out in line.[/QUOTE]
From what I've gathered in the PAX forum, they won't be clearing the theater after the Make a Strip panel at 10:30, so I'll probably get in line early for that one and stay in the theater til Kojima o'clock.

Edited both the OP and second post for an RSVP list and party info links, respectively.

Shipwreck's going to be at PAX too, right? Think I should ping him about the meetup (if he doesn't see this thread first)?

I am at dat meetup.

[quote name='pete5883']From what I've gathered in the PAX forum, they won't be clearing the theater after the Make a Strip panel at 10:30, so I'll probably get in line early for that one and stay in the theater til Kojima o'clock.[/QUOTE]

Dammit. Would it be awkward to admit that I don't even really like Penny Arcade?

Anyway maybe I'll look for you in line if you don't mind me tagging along.

[quote name='soulvengeance']Geez, didn't know so many people from Portland were going, I could have offered a ride. I get off of work at 6 and plan to drive up Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I didn't know you were going. We should hold a CAG fleet meetup lololololololololol

[quote name='metaly']Dammit. Would it be awkward to admit that I don't even really like Penny Arcade?[/quote]
No, I don't think it's that unusual. FWIW, in person I think they're much funnier than their comics are.
Anyway maybe I'll look for you in line if you don't mind me tagging along.
Yeah, come find me!

[quote name='blueshinra']Edited both the OP and second post for an RSVP list and party info links, respectively.

Shipwreck's going to be at PAX too, right? Think I should ping him about the meetup (if he doesn't see this thread first)?[/QUOTE]

Cheapy as well! I'm hoping to meet up with them before the CAG meetup, though I don't really have any more of a connection to them than anyone else here ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metaly']

Dude, I didn't know you were going. We should hold a CAG fleet meetup lololololololololol[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, we should.:)

Also, I think you can tentatively put me on the Meetup list, plus my wife.

[quote name='io']Cheapy as well! I'm hoping to meet up with them before the CAG meetup, though I don't really have any more of a connection to them than anyone else here ;).[/QUOTE]
Nice! Just sent a tweet to both of them asking about the meetup :)

We're up to ten people for the meetup now (including some maybes). I'm going to set an RSVP deadline for Wednesday at 5PM PST and then make reservations based on the headcount. Since I didn't get any other dinner suggestions, will be going with Gordon Biersch as the first choice.

I don't read Destructoid as often as I do others, so this slipped by me:
http://www.destructoid.com/paxxout-at-pax-with-rise-of-the-triad-razer-dtoid-233598.phtml

Friday 8-Midnight - Drink free with your PAX Badge. Show up early for swag and chance to win Razor gear.

Yes it is pretty much my goal to get free food and drinks nearly every night at PAX. Hey, I gotta recoup those parking fees somehow since I'm commuting. (Next year I hope to get a room and just take the new train line up on Wednesday(Tuesday maybe with the way Pre-PAX events are piling up these days) and catch the first train home on Monday morning.)

The parking fees arent that bad :)

But Friday night looks crazy busy

So far I want to try to see
ACIII
Sony All Stars battle royale
Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Dead Island Riptide
Mark of the Ninja
The Cave
Torchlight II
Wii U stuff
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Capcom will probably have RE6 and DMC

I should try to stop by a few of the hardware booths.

Is there going to be anything for Bioshock Infinite?

OK, finally sorted out panels I want to check out:

Friday
3:00 - Bringing New Life to Classic RPG Mechanics
4:30 - Afternoon with Scott & Kris
8:30 - Friday Night Concerts (for Video Game Orchestra at least--anyone know if they'll be early or late in the set? because next there's...)
10:30 - The 100 Yen Arcade

Saturday
10:30 - Penny Arcade Make a Strip/Hideo Kojima
2:30 - Illustration Careers

Sunday
10:00 - Community Managers
1:30 - Video Game Data
5:30 - Omegathon Final Round
6:00 - Meetup!

Let me know if you want to meet up in line for any of these!

As far as games I want to see... I'm gonna have to look into that. The PAX 10 last year was really cool and a way better experience than trying to brave the main floor. Got to chat with a bunch of the developers 1-on-1. The Indie Megabooth also looks like it has a lot of great stuff.

[quote name='metaly']8:30 - Friday Night Concerts (for Video Game Orchestra at least--anyone know if they'll be early or late in the set? because next there's...)
[/QUOTE]
AFAIK VGO has always gone on first. Deciding between them (who I've seen before) and the FF announcement (which will almost definitely be available to watch online afterwards.) :cold:
[quote name='metaly']
Sunday
[/QUOTE]
I think blueshinra has sold me on this one.

[quote name='pete5883']I think blueshinra has sold me on this one.[/QUOTE]
See you guys there :D

My tentative schedule:

Friday
10:30 - Free-To-Play Games
1:30 - Retrogame Roadshow
3:00 - Bringing New Life to Classic RPG Mechanics
4:30 - 6:00 (these are all maybes, since they overlap) - AssCreedTrois, Struggles of Indie Dev., Nonhumans in Fiction/Games
9:00 - Giant Bombcast
sometime - the FF 25th Anniversary event

Saturday
10:30 (maybe) - Behind the Music of Blockbuster Video Games
4:00 (maybe) - How Not to Write a Game Review
4:30 - Business Models of PC Games
7:30 - Cancelled & Prototype Games
lots of show floor stuff/indie stuff/handheld lounge, probably

Sunday
10:00 - Community Managers
11:00 (if possible) - Omegathon: Bananagrams
5:30 - Omegathon Final Round
6:00 - Meetup

So I guess I'll be seeing metaly a lot on Sunday!

This is one of those things I'd like to do before I die, but.
1. Kids aren't capable of standing in line and aren't interested in video games.
2. Wife would go nuts if I left her with three kids over the weekend. ( I'd go nuts in about 16 hours)
3. I'd probably spend have my time sneering and going Really? Really? at my fellow nerds.

My crappy overcrowed improbable schedule:

Friday
11:30 Community vs. PR
12:00 Nik & Dylan Crush Your Dreams 2
2:30 PC Gamer Megapanel
3:00 Razor
4:30 AC3 Panel
7:00 Game Show Night
9:00 The Improv Initiative
10:00 The Escapist Movie Night

Saturday
1:00 Hideo Kojima
2:00 Stuff your Criticism
4:00 How Not to Write a Game Review
6:30 Penny Arcade does journalis
9:00 An evening with LRR
10:00 LRR Screening block

Sunday
10:30 Pitch Your Game Idea
11:30 The Awesome Hour (I always schedule this and never make it)
1:30 Video Game Data
4:00 Inside Gearbox Software
4:30 Geeing for Fun and Profit
5:30 Omegathon Final Round
6:00 Meetup

This is all first pass. I haven't even throw in the parties yet. Someone invent human replication and recombination or figure out Naruto-style Shadow Clones, because I need to be everywhere!

Wow look at these list

Here's mine and I need to attend at least one panel this year, as I've never gone to one. I do enjoy wandering the show floor and playing a lot of games and running into CAGs

Friday
-7:30 Get PAX Beer Stein, Sheraton Lobby
-8am Get press pass
-9am Get into the hall early as Press and go see a few of the big games first or go to Intel VIP Press meetup
-10-12:00 wander around the show floor maybe hit up the freeplay
-12:30 Unicorn Destructoid Live III: How to run a successful
blog (and not get sued)
-1:30 Pegasus Retrogame Roadshow: Are Your Old Games Actually
Buried Treasure?
-2:30 Telltale games Walking Dead Press meetup
-4pm GunsofIcarus meetup

(Leaving early on friday since its my wife and I's anniversary)

Saturday
-10:30 Zombie Studios Blacklight Retribution Media meetup
-11:30-1:30 Expo Hall
-1:45 Wikipad meet up
-2:15-4:45 wander the expo/hit up freeplay
-5pm Klei Press Invitation Mark of the Ninja
-7pm Raven What do gamers want from social games?

Sunday I might go for part of the day. The problem with being media is due to Friday/Saturday's schedule I"ll miss out on a few panels I wanted to go to like, the 100 best NES games ogf all time, Beyond Wheaton's law, Up Close with Kickstarter: Case Studies in Game Development, etc

What games do you think will have the longest lines?

I'm hoping to spend time with

ACIII
Sony All Stars battle royale
Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Dead Island Riptide
Mark of the Ninja
The Cave
Torchlight II
Wii U stuff
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Capcom Booth
Mechwarrior Online, Catalyst labs room 213 2nd floor or NVIDA booth 3747

Last year I waited in line for Aliens: Colonial Marines for a good hour at least, possibly an hour and a half. As a bit of a consolation, the T-Shirts they gave out at that booth were very good. (peace through superior firepower) And the video we got to see was also very appealing. Just don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time waiting in line for individual games.

[quote name='pete5883']AFAIK VGO has always gone on first. Deciding between them (who I've seen before) and the FF announcement (which will almost definitely be available to watch online afterwards.) :cold:[/QUOTE]

You gotta go to the concert and then stream the FF announcement on your phone or something. Somebody has to be streaming it.

[quote name='blueshinra']So I guess I'll be seeing metaly a lot on Sunday![/QUOTE]

My condolences. :) I'm considering that F2P panel as well, but I was just informed of a donut place in the area so we'll see.

[quote name='zenprime']My crappy overcrowed improbable schedule:[/QUOTE]

That is fucking insane and you don't even have the show floor(s)! When's Bushido Blade??

You should try to find me for the Kojima panel--I'll be the guy peering over creid's shoulder.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Last year I waited in line for Aliens: Colonial Marines for a good hour at least, possibly an hour and a half. As a bit of a consolation, the T-Shirts they gave out at that booth were very good. (peace through superior firepower) And the video we got to see was also very appealing. Just don't be surprised if you spend a lot of time waiting in line for individual games.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty down on lines. I think the longest I waited last year was 30 or so for Starhawk and that was pushing it. I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.

[quote name='metaly']You gotta go to the concert and then stream the FF announcement on your phone or something. Somebody has to be streaming it.

I'm pretty down on lines. I think the longest I waited last year was 30 or so for Starhawk and that was pushing it. I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.[/QUOTE]
Ehhhh maybe.

Agreed the lines are not really worth spending too much time on. And Wii U is definitely at the show.

my hastily-typed ridiculously conflicted potential panel list:

Fri
11:30 - PA Q&A
12 - Spouse Aggro, Career, etc.
2 - Omegathon r1
3 - RPG Mechanics
3:30 - Short Subjects in Gaming
4:30 - AC3 or An Afternoon With Scott and Kris
7 - Game Show Night!
8 - Game Show Night 2
8:30 Concert / Final Fantasy
9 - Improv (w/ Kris Straube & others)
10:30 - 100Y Arcade

Sat
10:30 - Make a Strip > Kojima
2 - Omegathon - Tony Hawk HD
3 - I think there's a Kojima signing too? will probably skip this
6 - Which interactive lie did I tell? (w/ writers of Portal 2)

Sun
10:30 - Khoo & A
11 - Bananathon
12 - Plot vs Play - the one at East 2012 was my panel of the show, but this one doesn't have Ken Levine and Chris Avellon :/
1:30 - Data
5:30 - Omegameetup

P.S. any DQIX owners are put on notice to bring their copy. Always need more tags!

Edit: Eek, just saw this:

The Walking Dead game panel is on Friday at 6:30pm in the Unicorn Theater. Everyone who gets in will be getting an exclusive gift that will only ever be available at that panel, so come early! :)

[quote name='metaly']I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.[/QUOTE]
Definitely want to check out the WiiU here, especially since I didn't get to see much at all in Nintendo's booth last year (did check out just about all their stuff in the Handheld Lounge, though!) and I'm more curious about it than anything.

But yeah, games I've already decided I'm going to get, either at launch or later on, I'll probably be skipping for the most part; Halo 4, Torchlight II, and Pokemon Black 2/White 2 being the major ones.

[quote name='metaly']

You should try to find me for the Kojima panel--I'll be the guy peering over creid's shoulder.
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try to make it to the Kojima panel, seems there's enough of us to maybe get together beforehand and strongarm our way to the front.:)

[quote name='metaly']I'm pretty down on lines. I think the longest I waited last year was 30 or so for Starhawk and that was pushing it. I'd love to see stuff like the Wii U (Is that even at the show?!?) or even Aliens but then I just remember that these things will be out in a few months anyway. I'd make a terrible reporter.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't too big on waiting in the lines either. But I'm a huge Aliens fan, so I made an exception for that particular game. I also waited in line at the OnLive booth, but that was a given, as they were handing out free micro-consoles. Given the shaky future of OnLive, I'm glad I waited in that line. Those micro-consoles could be fairly rare video game items some day.

You might want to go ahead and wait in the Aliens line this year. The game isn't coming until 2013. (grrrrr) And current rumors indicate that the WiiU will be arriving in November, just before black Friday. So yeah, it is probably just a few months away. But Nintendo was pretty good about having plenty of stations at PAX last year, so there wasn't a very long wait to play some of their games. With a new hardware platform, the lines may be longer. It all depends on how curious you are. Usually the lines for the demo stations weren't as long as the lines for the booths/presentations.

Man, I really am a little jealous of all you guys getting to attend. It's probably for the best that I can't go this year, I have a lot on my plate this fall. But I really enjoyed myself last year. I'll be there in 13 for certain.

Not a lot of panels interest me this year, but I'll be enforcing Unicorn from 9-close. I'll be the bald guy with the beard. :) I'm going to try and make it to the NASA one, and the Ratchet and Clank panel.

[quote name='CheapyD']Got room for me, Shipwreck and Mrs Shipwreck?[/QUOTE]
Of course! :)

Going to make the reservations soonish :whee:

ETA: Called Gordon Biersch; they said they aren't taking reservations for this weekend because of PAX @_@ Talked things over with my husband, and I think what we're going to do is have him go on ahead to the restaurant to try and get us a spot, while I go to the meeting place and wait for everyone. The person over the phone said the wait for a table could be anywhere from 30 min. to an hour.

Alternate plan is we try someplace else (it wouldn't hurt to have a fallback at any rate). Once again, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm on the "Breaking Into the Games Industry" panel at noon on Saturday. I'll be sharing stories and giving advice with some of my friends from Naughty Dog, EA, etc. Should be a fun time!

It's my first PAX and first time in Seattle. My flight leaves at 8:15 on Sunday, so I don't think I'll be able to stop by the meetup, but if there's reason to believe otherwise I can give it a shot.

For those that don't remember the connection: blueshinra's hubby reporting in!

I kinda hope ArenaNet has a Guild Wars 2 demo area up. I had no interest in it til 3 days ago (and am currently in an 'off' phase in my on-again-off-again MMO addiction) but caught wind of the hype machine and it actually sounds A) pretty great generally and B) right up my alley, re: how I like to play MMOs. (of course, I should wait it out to see if it bombs like SWTOR did...that was a partial waste of $50. And I have so many Steam Sale titles to work through!)

Also looking forward to the Giant Bombcast panel, haven't seen the crew in a few months because I'm a jerk and haven't been back to visit since I switched jobs :whistle2:|

Annoyed about Gordon Biersch not taking reservations but hopefully, armed with my smartphone, I can wait there while the rest of you assemble at the convention venue and march over :)

I might try to join you guys, but I'm usually pretty burnt out at the end of the final day, so keep me as tentative and don't wait up for me.

Sure are a lot of people going to that Friday RPG Mechanics panel. Between the CAGs and the RPGamers that I expect there, I feel like I should do some sort of shout out while I'm there, lol.

I guess put me down as a maybe I might be leaving Sunday or I might be staying. What's the chance of running into CheapyD at the show?

[quote name='pete5883']If it's anything like East, most of the places in the area won't be taking reservations.[/QUOTE]
This was my first time trying to make restaurant reservations pre-Prime/East, and I wasn't quite expecting this, so good to know for the future.

Just edited the OP. Will mainly be using Twitter while at the show, but will also keep check this thread once in awhile for any later RSVPs, etc.

See you all later!

I'm all packed and ready to go in the AM. We're catching a 2pm flight to Seattle so will be there before 3 (short flight from here). I wanted to have plenty of time to settle in.

Is there anything happening off-site PAX-related before the show starts? I know I've seen a lot of references to things happening at different hotels and such so was just wondering.

I hope my hotel reservaton is good. I made it the day after I bought the PAX tickets and haven't heard a thing since, though I checked the link in the original email and it still seems to be good. This will be an adventure - I have to figure out how the train thing works and get me and my son downtown and to the hotel. I mean, in my younger days I once had to figure out how to take a train from the airport in Rome all the way up to Florence - and this was pre-Internet (or at least back when it wasn't so common) so I had no information whatsoever or any way to contact anyone. That kind of turned out to be a disaster though we made it in the end (I think we paid for premium seats but got on the stop everywhere slow train ;)). But I haven't travelled like that in quite a while. I expect this to be much easier of course.

u want partay list

http://www.sidequesting.com/2012/07/the-big-pax-prime-2012-party-list-events-parties-and-more/

theres also the square exhibit at act theater right next to the con on friday

I'm in for the meetup. So RSVP, I know LTTP.

Friday:
-12:30 Unicorn Destructoid Live III: How to run a successful
blog (and not get sued)
9:00 - Giant Bombcast
sometime - the FF 25th Anniversary event

Sunday the CAGCAST. And Will Wheaton whenever that is.

I will be wandering the floor as well, if you want to try to meetup and hang out, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my cell number.

Awesome - I got 5 3DS street pass tags at the Seattle airport and then 10 more at the convention center. We wandered on over there to see if anything was going on. The League of Legends tourney had just ended and otherwise stuff was just being set up.

What are the odds!? We just ran into Cheapy and the Ships randomly on the street after heading down to the Seattle waterfront! :lol:

yeayuuuuh!!! I'm in Seattle!!

We ate at Lumchbox Lab, it was awesome!![quote name='kube00']I will be wandering the floor as well, if you want to try to meetup and hang out, shoot me a pm and I'll give you my cell number.[/QUOTE]what this guy said!!

I don't think I'll be able to make Sunday hangout, but if anyone wants to hang out randomly hit me up!

[quote name='io']What are the odds!? We just ran into Cheapy and the Ships randomly on the street after heading down to the Seattle waterfront! :lol:[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's crazy! We hung out with metaly last night for dinner/dessert. Not nearly as random or exciting, but we had fun :)

[quote name='JEKKI']yeayuuuuh!!! I'm in Seattle!!

We ate at Lumchbox Lab, it was awesome!!what this guy said!!

I don't think I'll be able to make Sunday hangout, but if anyone wants to hang out randomly hit me up![/QUOTE]
OMG, hanging out with JEKKI! I can't pass that up :D

I'll PM both you and kube. Also, I'm wearing a blue Portal 2 shirt (this one) and black jeans today if anyone wants to keep an eye out for me (and remember that I'm a girl ;)). The schedule I posted earlier for what panels I want to see today hasn't changed.

bread's done
Back