[PC] The Indie Gala Thread

Nevermind, I can't host as I have to go to work.  But if anybody else is doing group buys, let me know and I'll go in on one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, so I have 5 Tiny Mix BTA bundles for $1.60 each.  Needed a few extra from Bobbytastic so he was nice enough to buy an 8 pack for me.  These are the ones left.  PM if interested. 

All Gone.  

I'm going to buy the Friday Bundle because:

1. I like the price. I hope they do this more and I want to encourage them.
  2. Sweezy Gunner was so fun and I got it for free. 
  3. +3

Sweet, bought it for Tr-Zero*.  And steam count + 4 ain't bad (only had Sweezy Gunner).  Level 22 and Elemental Kingdoms might decent, to boot.

*yes, I know the alpha is currently free, but buying this gets you the $5 Alpha Donation (and presumably all future versions).

Sweezy Gunner sounds fun. I almost said I was going to wait for a bundle. Heh.

Can anyone recommend any of the other games in that bundle?
Sweezy Gunner is worth the buck all by itself, though I heard certain Ninja Squirrels like SLiP.

Sweezy Gunner sounds fun. I almost said I was going to wait for a bundle. Heh.

Can anyone recommend any of the other games in that bundle?
I hear Slip is pretty fantastic.

SquirrelApproved-129c5e5e98c9303755ab072a780eeead.png

Edit: Hal'd

You at least realize why you've developed a reputation for only writing negative things about games, right?

Not that the majority is always right, but that game has 2 out of 25 negative reviews, 1 of them being yours, and 23 positive reviews.
He gets a free pass for being one of the only people besides myself to post a negative review of "You Have To Win The Game" (that's the only game I've ever reviewed on Steam). In fact my negative review is right under his. :mrgreen:

He gets a free pass for being one of the only people besides myself to post a negative review of "You Have To Win The Game" (that's the only game I've ever reviewed on Steam). In fact my negative review is right under his. :mrgreen:
131091292545.jpg

You only see that because you're logged in... do it when logged out (diff browser, etc) and you'll see you aren't.

You Have to Win that Game.....game...you don't tell me what to do!!!!! I did try it out and it was but I don't know not crazy about it. I think i'm halfway through it but not really wanting to go and finish it either.

I spit on your *game*!!!!! Elitist board game snob of the +100th degree. Haha I'm kidding I've never played Fluxx but lots of people on BGG look down on it.
They're entitled to be wrong. It's great as a fast pickup game... e.g. while waiting for people to arrive or another game to finish. The rules are... obvious. I wouldn't play it for hours on end, but it's very solid, and it gets played a lot. One of those staples... like Cards Against Humanity.

I have Zombie Flux and it is pretty fun.
I heard they're working on a cure in Washington DC. Me, Rick, Glenn, Maggie and the rest of our group are heading there in an old school bus. We'll come back for you if this so called "cure" is the real deal this time.

P.S. I'm hoping Glenn get's killed soon so I can make some moves on Maggie.

I heard they're working on a cure in Washington DC. Me, Rick, Glenn, Maggie and the rest of our group are heading there in an old school bus. We'll come back for you if this so called "cure" is the real deal this time.

P.S. I'm hoping Glenn get's killed soon so I can make some moves on Maggie.
That's why you won't survive. You wait for things to happen. Survivors make things happen.

Are you guys in a board game group or play with friends, both? I myself was a member of a local game group but haven't been in a long time, mainly play with friends and family. 

You Have to Win that Game.....game...you don't tell me what to do!!!!! I did try it out and it was but I don't know not crazy about it. I think i'm halfway through it but not really wanting to go and finish it either.
I like the gameplay, I just find the map-free navigation to be enough of a pain to not want to bother wandering around any more.

You at least realize why you've developed a reputation for only writing negative things about games, right?

Not that the majority is always right, but that game has 2 out of 25 negative reviews, 1 of them being yours, and 23 positive reviews.
Didn't realize I had that reputation, as people have told me I'm too positive about stuff.

As for the other reviews, 99% of the Steam community is comprised of morons.

Indie Gala Friday Special #2, curated by Crapsule Capsule Computers

Pay $1 or more and get the following 7 FANTASTIC GAMES!
Level 22 (STEAM)
Kingdom Elemental (STEAM)
Slip (STEAM)
Sweezy Gunner (STEAM)
Clickr (STEAM)
Tr-Zero (DESRUA)
Evy: Magic Spheres (DESURA on GREENLIGHT)

Only one I'm missing is Sweezy Gunner, which I somehow didn't opt in for when it was free. Hopefully a kind CAG will code-drop their key in this thread. :whistle2: EDIT: Thanks Bruticis
/LIKE.

Didn't realize I had that reputation, as people have told me I'm too positive about stuff.

As for the other reviews, 99% of the Steam community is comprised of morons.
I thought you had posted that people accuse you of having an agenda against certain games in your reviews, but maybe I took it the wrong way.

I thought you had posted that people accuse you of having an agenda against certain games in your reviews, but maybe I took it the wrong way.
People accuse me of not being objective, which is a stupid thing to request a reviewer to be as it doesn't exist but for some reason people keep believing it does. I don't mind if people think I'm overly cynical/positive about games, I'm just curious where that image comes from because I feel across the board it's a fairly even split between negative and positive reviews.

People accuse me of not being objective, which is a stupid thing to request a reviewer to be as it doesn't exist but for some reason people keep believing it does. I don't mind if people think I'm overly cynical/positive about games, I'm just curious where that image comes from because I feel across the board it's a fairly even split between negative and positive reviews.
Well, I'll say this much, no one is 100% objective because in the end, it's all opinion, but you can strive to be as objective as possible and strive to be aware of your own biases and try to keep them out of a review.

With your reviews, I think I've just run into the negative ones lately since most of the games people have asked you about lately tend to be bad and people who disagree with it are going to find a reason to complain no matter how well written it might be. I think the Slip review in particular ruffles feathers because of how harsh the first paragraph is. I think the conclusion presents a more balanced view of it (you wanted to like the game but couldn't) but from the first paragraph I could see people immediately coming to the conclusion you're one of those exaggerated rage reviewers.

Well, I'll say this much, no one is 100% objective because in the end, it's all opinion, but you can strive to be as objective as possible and strive to be aware of your own biases and try to keep them out of a review.

With your reviews, I think I've just run into the negative ones lately since most of the games people have asked you about lately tend to be bad and people who disagree with it are going to find a reason to complain no matter how well written it might be. I think the Slip review in particular ruffles feathers because of how harsh the first paragraph is. I think the conclusion presents a more balanced view of it (you wanted to like the game but couldn't) but from the first paragraph I could see people immediately coming to the conclusion you're one of those exaggerated rage reviewers.
That's fair, though I did make a point in the opening paragraph to stress I try really hard not to be like that with my reviews, which was intended to give more weight to how bad I think Slip is. I'm sure a lot of people took it the way you say they might though, which I suppose is fair since I'm just another random person on the internet and for all they know I am a "rage reviewer".

I do like to think I do a decent job not being overly biases, at least against genres I dislike (for example I don't enjoy playing fighting games but I can appreciate when they are well executed), but I leave that for others to judge for themselves (or at least use my pool of reviews to feel out the sorts of games I often enjoy/dislike).

That's fair, though I did make a point in the opening paragraph to stress I try really hard not to be like that with my reviews, which was intended to give more weight to how bad I think Slip is. I'm sure a lot of people took it the way you say they might though, which I suppose is fair since I'm just another random person on the internet and for all they know I am a "rage reviewer".

I do like to think I do a decent job not being overly biases, at least against genres I dislike (for example I don't enjoy playing fighting games but I can appreciate when they are well executed), but I leave that for others to judge for themselves (or at least use my pool of reviews to feel out the sorts of games I often enjoy/dislike).
See, now that you mention it I see where you were coming from, but when I initially read that part of the first paragraph I didn't take it that way, I took it as you trying to drive home the point of just how bad the game was, which seems to be the opposite of your intent. I do find it odd the review disparity between positive and negative on that one. I think some people like to find indie games and champion them for whatever reason.

See, now that you mention it I see where you were coming from, but when I initially read that part of the first paragraph I didn't take it that way, I took it as you trying to drive home the point of just how bad the game was, which seems to be the opposite of your intent. I do find it odd the review disparity between positive and negative on that one. I think some people like to find indie games and champion them for whatever reason.
I feel like a lot of people give games a really easy pass with Steam reviews, or at least have lower expectations of a lot of indie games so they don't feel the need to review them harshly if they aren't entirely broken. You can see this on a lot of games, but really I always feel it's best to look at an author's other reviews to see the kind of games they typically like/dislike. A review doesn't mean much to me if I'm completely unfamiliar with the author, as for all I know the sort of games they enjoy are wildly different from what I like, so just because they recommend for/against a game doesn't mean I will have the same experience with it.

As for how you interpreted that first sentence, I guess that would be a sign I wasn't clear enough with how I phrased it, which is entirely my own fault and something I'm attempting to get better at. A review should clearly translate what the author wants to say without devolving into a mundane list of facts, but that's often easier said than done, which is why I always appreciate getting feedback on my own reviews whether positive or negative.

I feel like a lot of people give games a really easy pass with Steam reviews, or at least have lower expectations of a lot of indie games so they don't feel the need to review them harshly if they aren't entirely broken. You can see this on a lot of games, but really I always feel it's best to look at an author's other reviews to see the kind of games they typically like/dislike. A review doesn't mean much to me if I'm completely unfamiliar with the author, as for all I know the sort of games they enjoy are wildly different from what I like, so just because they recommend for/against a game doesn't mean I will have the same experience with it.
Steam reviews are mostly horrible as everyone is trying to be ironic or funny -- and those are the ones that tend to get voted up. If you take your time to write out a nice review, chances are it won't get read.

The main thing is to remember your format and your audience. They're coming to Steam looking for quick takes, not in-depth reviews. I mean, some may be, but the majority are not. Edit and then edit again so that you can make your point in a couple of paragraphs. I'm pretty long-winded by nature, so that's something that's difficult for me to do.

I use the reviews to:

1. Look for comedy gold.
  2. Look for common complaints.

I never take any of them at face value, but if I notice a trend I look into the issue further (maybe visit the discussion board or a fan site). I almost never check out more of an author's reviews because they are likely a different version of the same terrible review.

Steam reviews are mostly horrible as everyone is trying to be ironic or funny -- and those are the ones that tend to get voted up. If you take your time to write out a nice review, chances are it won't get read.

The main thing is to remember your format and your audience. They're coming to Steam looking for quick takes, not in-depth reviews. I mean, some may be, but the majority are not. Edit and then edit again so that you can make your point in a couple of paragraphs. I'm pretty long-winded by nature, so that's something that's difficult for me to do.
All of this is true, but to be fair the audience I'm mostly writing for are my friends/those who explicitly ask me what I think about a game, not so much the random Steam user who doesn't want to take more than five seconds to glance over a sentence or two about a game before they buy it.

I will confess I'm terrible at editing, or even proofreading, much of what I write. I've always hated reading my own crap which is one reason I'm so appreciative of those that take the time to read it for me and let me know when I've made an error/rambled too much/failed to deliver my point adequately, at which point I will take a bit of time to try and fix it.

I used to try and write my reviews to fit inside three paragraphs, but more often than not I wasn't able to express what I felt about a game in any detail greater than "X was good, Y was bad", and feel trying to constrain myself so much really stifles any attempt I make at writing something worth reading (I applaud those that can be concise and still manage to include the detail they mean to). Speaking from my own perspective, when I read a review I'm not looking at a simple run down of what worked and what didn't, I want to know why something worked; how the reviewer felt about the game and the reasons they feel it's worth my time. In this case I enjoy lengthy reviews, and am often disappointed when so many reviewers fall back on the old formula of just describing what happens in the game without so much as a touch of personality or personal opinion on it.

I know a lot of people don't like reviews like this though, and that's perfectly fine. I also know the way I write reviews is probably not ideal for Steam, and to be honest I don't feel it's my best outlet either (but the one I choose most often as it puts what I write in front of people who might actually care about it, instead of tucked away in my corner of the interwebs). I write reviews mostly as a hobby though because writing is something I enjoy and I consider talking about the games I play to be as much a part of video games to me as playing them, and if someone happens to find it helpful that's always a nice bonus. I've also met some cool people who added me because they read one of my reviews, which has been an entirely unexpected way of building my social circle and getting to know more awesome people.

I've probably lost whatever the original point to this long winded post was, but basically I hope my reviews are helpful to someone, but even if they aren't and even if they are completely the wrong type of reviews for Steam I'm still going to keep writing them because A) I enjoy doing so a lot, and B) I feel Steam reviews COULD and should be a lot more than they currently are, and perhaps my meager contributions will get others to start writing actual reviews instead of obnoxious one liners.

bread's done
Back