PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

I could really use a release date. I'm moving at the end of September but I want to pre-order. Thing is, I'm moving to Canada, so changing shipping isn't as easy...sigh.

I preordered both consoles through Amazon. I have 5 months to make my decision. No need to decide today. Still plenty of time for things to change and learn more about each console.

My takeaways from yesterday

X1
- Better Exclusives
- Better Entertainment Features

PS4
- Cheaper
- No Restrictions

Still a tough decision for me. Time will tell.

I preordered both consoles through Amazon. I have 5 months to make my decision. No need to decide today. Still plenty of time for things to change and learn more about each console.

X1
- Better Exclusives

PS4
- Cheaper
- No Restrictions

That was your takeaway? Here were mine from everytjing we now know:

X1:

-Better media functions if they work as promised and hidden behind paywalls.
-The best exclusives (imo) are probably timed exclusives
-Still has all the negative points (kinect required, 24 hour checkin, used game restrictions)
-More expensive

PS4:
-More exclusives (and more I care about)
-More indie love
-No used restrictions and no checkins
-PS+ still better value than Live
-Cheaper
-Better specs
-Gaikai potential for backwards compatibilty

tumblr_mo7k9qc0u81srwynoo1_500.gif

X1
- Better Exclusives

PS4
- Cheaper
- No Restrictions

That was your takeaway? Here were mine from everytjing we now know:

X1:

-Better media functions if they work as promised and hidden behind paywalls.
-The best exclusives (imo) are probably timed exclusives
-Still has all the negative points (kinect required, 24 hour checkin, used game restrictions)
-More expensive

PS4:
-More exclusives (and more I care about)
-More indie love
-No used restrictions and no checkins
-PS+ still better value than Live
-Cheaper
-Better specs
-Gaikai potential for backwards compatibilty
CBOAT (insider who posts on GAF with 100% accuracy) said TitanFall is a timed exclusive. Add to that that destructoid says Ryse seems like it will be a turd and the PS4 can at least go blow for blow with X1 exclusives.

Missed the conference, but like what I hear. Not a Day One for me, but definitely down the road. I have to say, that is one ugly box though.

If you look for deals on the yearly PS Plus, it's not too bad.  I picked up 15 months for $40 earlier this year.  They had a buy 12, get 3 free and someone was selling the yearly PS plus for $40, ended up being 15 for $40.  Right now (until the 22nd), Best Buy has $10 off a yearly membership, so $40 total.  I have $15 in certs still from the Facebook giveaway on Best Buy and they are expiring soon, so it's a no brainer to use them and now that this transfers over to the PS4, it's even better.  I'll pick up another year for $25 so in total I've paid $65 for 27 months of PS Plus.  I also received 2 free months from promotions so it's really been cheap if you frequent CAG like I do :) That comes out to a tiny bit over 2$ per month I've paid for 29 months of PS plus, and I'm good for another 2 years.  Also, since I just picked up my PS3 last Black Friday, all the free games are new to me as well :) I've been really happy with it.

I was going to pick up an Xbox 360 this black Friday, just to buy all of the clearance games on the cheap like I did with the PS3, but I definitely won't be supporting Microsoft in anyway, shape or form now that they added the DRM to the Xbox One.  It's just principle, same reason I refuse to buy things from EA. 

Does anyone have an article link for the "confirmation" that it will be DRM free? Some random person on the internets saying that is so doesn't exactly convince me. :)

Missed the conference, but like what I hear. Not a Day One for me, but definitely down the road. I have to say, that is one ugly box though.
They didn't really give us a chance to ogle it, but if you look up some HD pics it's not as bad as first blush. Two USB ports on the front for controllers and the disc drive is on the other end this time. I really want to see it turned on personally, because it looks like the side lights up blue along that ridge. FYI, the system is HDMI ONLY (no component) but if you're buying this kind of tech and don't have an HD TV by now, then that's your problem.

They didn't really give us a chance to ogle it, but if you look up some HD pics it's not as bad as first blush. Two USB ports on the front for controllers and the disc drive is on the other end this time. I really want to see it turned on personally, because it looks like the side lights up blue along that ridge. FYI, the system is HDMI ONLY (no component) but if you're buying this kind of tech and don't have an HD TV by now, then that's your problem.

Is the Xbox one hdmi only too? Overall it doesn't affect me but I know some people that it would affect.

Is the Xbox one hdmi only too? Overall it doesn't affect me but I know some people that it would affect.

Yes, the XBox One is also HDMI only. There will be no component video output on the XBox One.
Thanks mate.

Yeah, I think it looks ok from certain angles. Head on, it looks fine, but looking at it from the side or in the back and it looks like it's falling apart. But, whatever, doesn't really matter once it's set up.

Yeah, I think it looks ok from certain angles. Head on, it looks fine, but looking at it from the side or in the back and it looks like it's falling apart. But, whatever, doesn't really matter once it's set up.
I still think it looks better than the Betamax Player (xbox one) or the Apple Trashcan (Mac Pro), lol. At least this looks like a VCR with odd styling to it.

I wonder if the $399 price tag will force Nintendo to drop the price of their console, I can't see anyone buying Nintendo after this announced with a price tag of just $50 more than the Wii U and with no restrictions. If Nintendo kept up it would be a viable platform but its becoming pretty clear that their 3rd party support is not there even though they say it is. I love the idea of off TV play but all the games need to support it and they need to keep a steady stream of games coming.

I'm pretty much in for the ps4 but "xboner"? Really? Lots of 12 year olds get on the site recently?

Exactly. Make your choice and move on.
Just saw this, had to post.
BH39gdO.gif

Too bad you didn't do enough research to know that it's not a PS4 exclusive...

Last edited by a moderator:
And let the bullshit begin!

http://kotaku.com/third-party-publishers-will-have-final-say-on-used-game-512643240

How is this different than what X1 is doing?

I'm pretty much in for the ps4 but "xboner"? Really? Lots of 12 year olds get on the site recently?
I blame the term XBone. Stupid nickname. I think I prefer Gerstmans "Xone" Sounds so much better. Never liked Xbone and don't understand why everyone else thought it was clever.
It's meant to be derogatory. It does that.

yes, i think we all get that it's meant to be derogatory. :roll:

it's just juvenile as hell.

http://kotaku.com/third-party-publishers-will-have-final-say-on-used-game-512643240

This is just the exact same policy as PS3. Nothing has changed.
Only 1 disc based game in the PS3's entire library had region locking.
And only Capcom were idiots and put online only DRM on about 3 of their PSN titles.

Not necessarily... Optional DRM is a lot different then the no DRM statement last night.

This is essentially what X1 may be doing when their entire plan is revealed.

It's up to the publishers and what makes them want DRM on X1 and not on PS4?

And only Capcom were idiots and put online only DRM on about 3 of their PSN titles.

Yep. And there's nothing Sony, MS or Nintendo can do to stop third party publishers from implementing their own DRM if they want.

They can program their games to have to be online and check in if they so choose. Or they can included online passes etc. etc.

The difference is all Xbone games will have the DRM with 24 hour check ins. PS4 will not, and it's unlikely publishers will include 24 online check in DRM of their own since Sony is emphasizing that the PS4 can be played entirely off line. So if publishers want to put DRM in their games, it will more likely be online passes or some onetime activation or something.

Not necessarily... Optional DRM is a lot different then the no DRM statement last night.

It's not anything like what X1 is doing.

How exactly would you expect third party games to link games to your account only, and make a disc essentially worthless?

MS is doing this to get us into a completely digital only world, with discs merely being a delivery method.

Yosp tweeted that the PS4 will have the same DRM as PS3.

It's simply status quo.

How exactly would you expect third party games to link games to your account only, and make a disc essentially worthless?
MS is doing this to get us into a completely digital only world, with discs merely being a delivery method.

Put your brand loyalty aside and actually listen/comprehend what he is saying. If you think someone like Activision is going to do DRM on X1 and not on PS4 your nuts. Period!

Especially now that we know its and option left up to them. Seriously dude...think about it.

Plus when it's totally up to publishers, rather than on every game like on Xbone, it's easy enough to just boycott the games/publishers that implement it and vote with our wallets by only buying non-DRM games.  That should get the ones that try it (if any do after all this backlash) to change their ways pretty quickly if the really feel it in sales.

Where as with MS the only thing to do is boycott the whole system since all games require the 24 hour check in--unless they change their tune anyway.

Put your brand loyalty aside and actually listen/comprehend what he is saying. If you think someone like Activision is going to do DRM on X1 and not on PS4 your nuts. Period!

Especially now that we know its and option left up to them. Seriously dude...think about it.
I think most publishers won't do drm at all. The stuff the X1 is doing is a console situation, not a publisher situation.

Yeah, don't gloss over the part where Tretton said that Sony would not "implement" the DRM for the publishers.  It's status Quo.  He's just stating Sony will not dictate online pass policies and the like to the publishers. At the same time, he's saying that Sony is not providing a DRM methodology or platform.

Plus when it's totally up to publishers, rather than on every game like on Xbone, it's easy enough to just boycott the games/publishers that implement it and vote with our wallets by only buying non-DRM games. That should get the ones that try it (if any do after all this backlash) to change their ways pretty quickly if the really feel it in sales.

Where as with MS the only thing to do is boycott the whole system since all games require the 24 hour check in--unless they change their tune anyway.
Its very likely that this is the case.

But do we know for a fact (I'll tell you right now, we do not 100%) that every single game will required those heavy restrictions that MS is implementing on the X1. Could there be a way on the X1 that allows a publisher to simple allow all their game discs to work normal (aka, like today's systems), thus the DRM is indeed implemented by the developer. Is it even possible? MS' DRM implementation is software based in the end right? So its possible that in the software, they can allow exceptions if a publisher wants it. I/we don't know for sure.

My bet is that MS is forcing the DRM on the system level, even if it is software, and the PS4 will allow them to use a serial key (or another from of DRM). The good news is, if true, is that at least the PS4 allows us the oportunity of a free DRM machine, while X1 does not.

I expect one thing at least, if MS doesn't change its policy soon, they could be in trouble come a year or two down the line.

But do we know for a fact (I'll tell you right now, we do not 100%) that every single game will required those heavy restrictions that MS is implementing on the X1. Could there be a way on the X1 that allows a publisher to simple allow all their game discs to work normal (aka, like today's systems), thus the DRM is indeed implemented by the developer. Is it even possible? MS' DRM implementation is software based in the end right? So its possible that in the software, they can allow exceptions if a publisher wants it. I/we don't know for sure.
With all the flack MS has gotten, I think it's a safe bet they would have emphasized that the DRM, 24 hour checks etc. wouldn't be on every game and up to the publisher if that was the case. Now they could change their tune and change the system due to this blowback and Sony leaving it totally up to publishers etc. But I'd ahve thought they'd do that at E3 if they were ever going to. I think they're just cocky that the Xbone will sell even with it, and they'll win this DRM fight and make more money in the long run by cannibalize used sales.

After watching all the conferences yesterday I shuffled into Gamestop today and traded in all my 360 games and got $302 in store credit. Now I just need to get rid of the 360 and the peripherals and I should have enough to preorder a PS4.

Feels pretty good to be Microsoft free. I might miss some exclusives but I can't support a company that is willing to screw the consumer like that. It's not worth it.

After watching all the conferences yesterday I shuffled into Gamestop today and traded in all my 360 games and got $302 in store credit. Now I just need to get rid of the 360 and the peripherals and I should have enough to preorder a PS4.

Feels pretty good to be Microsoft free. I might miss some exclusives but I can't support a company that is willing to screw the consumer like that. It's not worth it.
I did the same thing last Saturday after MS put the XB1 policies online. I'll miss some of the exclusives but I just couldn't support their new policies and refused to continue giving them my hard earned money.

For real dude?! I'm keeping my 360 even though I'm most likely not going to buy a XOne.
Not to mention you'd need a 360 even if you got an X1.

For real dude?! I'm keeping my 360 even though I'm most likely not going to buy a XOne.
I'll ditch mine when I finish up some DLC and maybe rent Gears Judgement. I don't have much of a backlog on the 360 anymore, and nothing else exclusive coming out that I want to play so no reason to keep it around (I rarely go back and rreplay games).

bread's done
Back