PlayStation 4 - General Discussion Thread

Not that there's a whole lot going on with the PS Camera right now, I'm kinda glad I bought it (along with Killzone) before 11/15. I still have the box for it too, so I can't say I'm not tempted to repackage it and sell it on ebay

Yep, you just have to purchase it on the PC store--can't do PS4 games on PS3.  Then it's in your download history and you can download it anytime you get a PS4--as long as you have an active PS+ account at the time of course.

I love the smirk LOL No wonder MS released the 3 million number yesterday, they had to know this was coming.

2drywbr.jpg

I love the smirk LOL No wonder MS released the 3 million number yesterday, they had to know this was coming.

2drywbr.jpg
What's crazy about this number is that it's not even available in Japan yet! Sony estimated they'd sell 5mil by March or April, but I think they will have that by the end of the month, then it's available to Japan in Feb, right? I can easily see them at about 7-8 mil by March/April.

PS now!!! I wonder what the pricing will be.

5l5bp3.jpg

What's crazy about this number is that it's not even available in Japan yet! Sony estimated they'd sell 5mil by March or April, but I think they will have that by the end of the month, then it's available to Japan in Feb, right? I can easily see them at about 7-8 mil by March/April.
Not out in japan yet I think it drops Feb 22nd, but I dont think they will hit 7-8 million by March/April due to supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think some people on this site seriously though the Xbox One was way outselling the PS4.
They said the PS4 has "no games" and it sold 4.2 million units. Just imagine when we do have games like Uncharted, lol.

The PS Camera has only 1 game and it is sold out, too. Selling on eBay for double the MSRP.

You just have to "purchase" it, but I don't think you can do it from your PS3. You should be able to do off of the PC site.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com
Thanks.

Athough we're in the infancy of the PS4 lifecycle, Sony still has supply issues in North America. All of my local retailers are still out of PS4's. I live in a very suburban area and there are a lot of B&M's to choose from yet they still have been cutoff from additional stock since Christmas. I know somebody may randomly dispute that and state their local store has "plenty of stock of PS4's" but that's the exception. The employees I know have done stock checks for outside districts and they all are still cleaned out of PS4's. The real comparison will be how many consoles are sold after stores are well stocked with both systems which is only the case for Xbone's at the moment.

As much as I enjoy my PS4, I don't exactly want Sony to run away in sales. I want a much tighter race so both sides have to stay competitive. I feel like the complacency Microsoft settled into later in the 360's life is largely why I moved away from it as my main console. They got to a point where they just sat back and only released a few first party exclusives and everything driving the system became 3rd party.

As much as I enjoy my PS4, I don't exactly want Sony to run away in sales. I want a much tighter race so both sides have to stay competitive. I feel like the complacency Microsoft settled into later in the 360's life is largely why I moved away from it as my main console. They got to a point where they just sat back and only released a few first party exclusives and everything driving the system became 3rd party.
In all fairness to MS, the 1M gap isn't much. However, the more important observation is how Sony has now closed the gap with MS in the NA market.

The crazy thing is I see that blinding neon green box at almost every store I go and I have yet to run into a PS4. Imagine what the numbers would be if they had more stock.

In all fairness to MS, the 1M gap isn't much. However, the more important observation is how Sony has now closed the gap with MS in the NA market.
Which is a big problem. The Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 by around 10 million units in North America, even though they both sold around 80 million world-wide. Sony took their lumps in the 7th Generation, learned from it and I think they are better off for it. Hopefully Microsoft does the same this generation.

IMO, the downfall of the Xbox has been their weird obsession with the Kinect.

Which is a big problem. The Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 by around 10 million units in North America, even though they both sold around 80 million world-wide. Sony took their lumps in the 7th Generation, learned from it and I think they are better off for it. Hopefully Microsoft does the same this generation.

Nailed it, and the Kinect part made me laugh cause its true.

It seems that everyone on the Xbox forums feels if you do not have the Kinect its too hard to use. I don't know about some people but I do not want to have to yell at my console to make it work better. 

The UI for PS4 works great without having voice commands (even though it does allow it). The only thing drawing me to Xbox is KI I loved that game when I was a kid and played the shit out of it in Arcades. 

Even if one system install base is much larger than the other game developers would still be competing with each other for your money. It is just much easier to develop a game when you can focus all of your resource on one version of that game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/97-million-playstation-4-games-sold-so-far

Today, Sony revealed that the PlayStation 4 sold 4.2 million units in between November 15th and December 28th. But its software sales are equally as impressive.

During that same time period, 9.7 million PlayStation 4 games were sold both at retail and digitally via the PlayStation Network (That’s 2.3 games per PS4 sold). Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, and Killzone: Shadow Fall are among the best-selling games on the console.

Sony also revealed that PlayStation Plus subscriptions have increased more than 90 percent since PS4 launched.

As for Twitch’s and Ustream’s streaming services on PS4, Sony reports that 1.7 million gameplay broadcasts have been streamed so far across the services so far, accounting to more than 55 million total minutes broadcast. Twenty percent of total Twitch users are streaming via PS4.

Glad to see Sony doing well, guess it explains why nobody can find them. Maybe it's not simply because they aren't being stocked...

And really surprised and excited that PlayStation Now is coming so soon.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/07/playstation-now-5mbps-recommended-us-mainland-at-first-save-files-move-lots-more/

With PlayStation Now getting detailed at CES 2014, a lot of people are asking a lot of questions about the service, which is scheduled to have a beta this month, with the full rollout in the US this summer.

To give you an answer on some of those questions is Matt Harper, Senior Manager of PlayStation Digital Platforms. Over on the PS Blog, he addressed quite a few people, with the important information placed below in bullet-point form:

When it comes to announcing a subscription price for PlayStation Now, Harper said, “We’ll be sure to share details with you as we get closer to launch.” E3 would be a good time for that, no?

Harper reiterated how the beta will arrive “by the end of January,” with “more info about the closed beta, such as participant criteria, in the near future.” It shouldn’t be too difficult to gain access, as he added, “Pretty sure we won’t require you to do anything terrible to get in on the action though ;) .”

On the subject of Canada getting PlayStation Now at the same time as the US, Harper only replied, “It will initially become available in US (mainland). We will announce the service’s availability in other areas when we are ready to expand the service to those customers. More info soon!”

While PlayStation Now is only going to start by offering PlayStation 3 games, “We are considering measures to offer other content in the future (such as PS1, PS2, and PS4 games).”

As well, PlayStation Now will initially be offered on PS3, PS4, PS Vita, and Bravia TVs.

An important part of PlayStation Now is that save files will move with you, as Harper explained, “Good news! Your save files with PS Now games move with you from any PSN now enabled and supported device. With games hosted in the cloud, you can truly take your game with you – just log in with you SEN account and your games and progress will be instantly available.”

During the beta, they’ll be asking about pricing and more.

Harper also spent some time talking more about other aspects of PlayStation Now, including renting and the subscription:

With PS Now, you can rent by title for specific games, or you can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with a wide variety of genres. For example, you can try out a game by rental first, before deciding to actually purchase the full game and download it to your console. We believe this streaming game service will add tons of value to dedicated game consoles in addition to packaged and downloaded games, and in doing so, we will open up a new world of possibilities across PlayStation platforms.

Of course, one of the big reasons we are offering a closed beta is to get feedback on all aspects of the service, including of course the experience with rentals and subscriptions, so we look forward to hearing more feedback from our community as we move through the beta.

He then discussed how fast of a connection is optimal for PlayStation Now:

We recommend a 5MBPS+ connection.

In our internal tests, users with this bandwidth or greater have been enjoying a low latency, high-quality gaming experience. PS Now tests your connection of each game and optimizes for quality if you are above the minimum requirements. We strive to make the gameplay experience feel as if the game is being played locally on their device – fast and responsive (including for FPS and games with twitch mechanics). The Closed Beta will definitely provide a great opportunity to test the experience with gamers with varying connection speeds and our developers will, of course, be working diligently to optimize the service based upon the feedback we receive from the community.

Update:

Matt Harper has continued to talk about PlayStation Now, revealing what may happen if your connection drops:

PS Now is a streaming service, but you of course will continue to be able to download titles to PlayStation devices from the PlayStation Store. If your connection drops while using PS Now, we may temporarily and adaptively reduce your resolution to maintain a responsive experience.

Harper then added, “We are laser focused on the gaming experience and making it great no matter what title you are playing. In our internal test, PS Now has been proven to provide a low latency gaming experience.”

He continued by confirming that you’ll be able to unlock Trophies through PlayStation Now, with the games always being the most up-to-date versions:

The stream is instant – no downloading, no installing, no patching. You get the most up-to-date version of the game streaming to your device from our remote servers. You also get Trophies, Friends List, and other PSN features.

While there are four playable games at CES 2014, Harper says they haven’t confirmed titles that will be available, with Beyond, God War: Ascension, The Last of Us, and Puppeteer being used for tech demo purposes only. If they don;t launch with games you want though, “We will definitely be adding games to the service over time based upon the requests we get from our community.”

Update 2:

If you decide to use PlayStation Now through a Bravia TV, “You will need a DualShock 3 and, of course, high-speed internet to play from the BRAVIA TV.” And if you were worried at all, “You will be able to play multiplayer games through PS Now.”

Edit:
The Last of Us on PS Vita via Playstation Now service.

2eCJ9Wp.jpg

Video game industry analyst Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities expressed skepticism about PlayStation Now. He said a similar service, OnLive, which allowed people to rent games or play with a subscription fee, never caught on -- attracting only 300,000 subscribers. 
"It seems unlikely that a more narrowly focused product like PlayStation Now will succeed where OnLive failed — which was the latter’s inability to secure much content," said Pachter. "The publishers will be reticent to license to Sony without a big guarantee, and I don’t know if Sony is willing to commit to any guarantees." 

Michael Pachter is an idiot.  He is constantly wrong. Comparing Onlive to a fan base that will eventually reach 50ish million by a multi-billion dollar company. I wish it was my job to get paid to be wrong all day. If that was the case I would be a   fuck ing millionaire. Even if this was only Sony first party titles, people would still want to be apart of Playstation Now. The bottom line is this program needs to be the right price. When PS+ first was announced, I thought the pricing was a joke. I eat those words on a monthly basis. I have more faith in Sony than any other video game company right now, because they actually seem to understand what the consumer wants and they understand the proper pricing. 

Onlive failed coz it didnt have content that will attract alot of gamers. With playstation library, i do think playstation now is something to look forward to. And you are correct pricing is the key here.

As someone who briefly used onlive, their biggest downfall was not having games and the ones they did have were absolutely over priced. Even if you look now they have darksiders 2 and arkham city at $50 a piece. That's a joke and I'm agreeing with you guys. Price is what's going to drive this, that and first party titles. Playing games like The Last of Us on my Vita is like a dream come true.

but did not sony put in voice control into ps4 os after launch? both system have not been downfall at launch both systems are going strong and with the great games coming in spring it will only continue for both systems.

but did not sony put in voice control into ps4 os after launch? both system have not been downfall at launch both systems are going strong and with the great games coming in spring it will only continue for both systems.
Did you hit the bottle after the sales figures were posted? You make sense no little

Sony had a similar complacency after dominating with the PS2. Like Microsoft they had a few irritating bold moves that pissed people off. I bet next cycle Microsoft comes back in the lead as it seems history is repeating itself.

This playstation now thing is kind of cool. I could see me using it to play PS3 games on PS4. But i honestly have to ask why would anyone want to play a PS3 or PS4 game on a vita if they can play it on a big screen tv with a nice comfortable controller with big buttons? If anything i have always wished the opposite, where i could play handheld games on my big screen tv. Things like Super Gameboy for SNES was awesome. Sure maybe someone wants to use the tv and you could then transfer your game from the big screen to a vita and continue, but really how often is that likely to happen? In my house that would have a 0% chance of happening. If anything i would just turn it off and continue it later. Unless you can play on the go, i really dont know that much about the service yet. But even when i do own handheld systems im rarely likely to play them outside of my house lol.

thats the thing people being able to play their PS3 games on their Vita. It essentially makes it remote play which from a lot of people here seems to be a good thing.  

This playstation now thing is kind of cool. I could see me using it to play PS3 games on PS4. But i honestly have to ask why would anyone want to play a PS3 or PS4 game on a vita if they can play it on a big screen tv with a nice comfortable controller with big buttons? If anything i have always wished the opposite, where i could play handheld games on my big screen tv. Things like Super Gameboy for SNES was awesome. Sure maybe someone wants to use the tv and you could then transfer your game from the big screen to a vita and continue, but really how often is that likely to happen? In my house that would have a 0% chance of happening. If anything i would just turn it off and continue it later. Unless you can play on the go, i really dont know that much about the service yet. But even when i do own handheld systems im rarely likely to play them outside of my house lol.
Cant play my ps3 on the shitter.

Nothing like playing some ps4 on my living room couch (console upstairs in my game room), while in bed, or taking a nice poop.

Anyone asking why someone would want to play on a Vita clearly does not have to share their TV. That and Wii U gamepad play are extremely valuable to me.

Anyone know good thumbstick covers? The rubber on one of my thumbsticks is starting to peel off and it is pissing me off. 

I have a big family with lots of TV sharing and appreciate the Wii U Gamepad off-TV play, and yet I have no desire whatsoever to try out remote play on my Vita let alone streaming on my Vita. I might be willing to try some RPG games that way but nothing that requires a lot of controller interaction. I would much rather use a DS3/DS4 than the Vita controls, as nice as they are for a handheld.

I finally started using my Xbox One (played Ryse) and the Kinect is absolutely not needed at all at least for that title. I'm not sure what people think makes the One hard to use without it. My son had the thing upside down and covered ;). I can't "talk" to any of my systems because I'm almost always playing late at night and have to be quiet with a wife and 5 kids asleep. Ryse, in any case, lets you push the left button in lieu of shouting out commands.

I'm downloading Don't Starve right now - will definitely give it a shot (and without viewing that video - want to figure it out for myself as I think that is the idea/appeal).

As for Playstation Now, I'm pretty ambivalent towards it. I have such a huge backlog of PS+ freebies, let alone a 10x bigger amount of PS3 disc-based games yet to play, that I don't see myself ever using it. I have my PS3 and PS4 sitting right next to each other (and even had them both downloading games a few minutes ago: DMC on PS3, Don't Starve on PS4). I also can't see the prices being cheaper than what we can usually get games for the CAG way (ie, on clearance, using multiple discounts, etc). It would be really nice if they let you play games you already bought digitally - that way I might use it to play some PSN games on PS4. But if you have to double-dip, then no way.

bread's done
Back