Pokemon Go

Something is definitely up.  There's a Swinub on my nearby and we never get those either.  And later I saw a Growlithe while out driving.  Those are all things that we see occasionally, but the amount that I've seen them the last two days is suspicious.

Edit: Right now there is a Houndour, a Ponyta, and a Vulpix all at the one stop I can see from my house.  I might see one of those things every few days or so but all 3 at once is definitely odd.  And now there's a Mankey in the Sightings as well - another oddball.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I'm in the desert biome I don't see any increase in those 'mons (which I all see regularly enough).  I did catch a Snorlax at a nearby stop where I've never seen one before, and a Bulbasaur shortly afterwards (pretty uncommon around here but they still pop now and then).

Other than that it seems the same to me.   I will say this though, that the 2km eggs I've received well after the holiday event have been all pretty good, maybe they changed some of the egg pools / percentages after the event.

We caught yet another Mareep on the way home tonight.  So I'm 100% sure they changed up the spawn percentages at least a little bit.

Edit: seen a Drowzee and Slugma nearby tonght - more oddball things we don't usually see.  The increased variety is definitely welcome.

Edit #2: And then a Charmander (another rare one here) last night.

Edit #3: And this afternoon a 2000+ CP Rhydon on the way through my small town.  We don't even get Rhyhorn spawns here.

5 Dratini's in the area that normally spawns only 1...all up and down the pier. I finally have a 3000+ CP pokemon.

5 Dratini's in the area that normally spawns only 1...all up and down the pier. I finally have a 3000+ CP pokemon.
Nice!

And now the spawns seem to be back to normal - not seeing all those oddballs any more. Too bad. On the other hand, the game dying down again means it is easier for us to stay in gyms for multiple days. We still have one in Tucson from a month ago and have had 7 in town here for a couple of days. We let it get down to about 5 and then go out and get more - usually just once or twice a week.

I guess the routine now is just to play low key, check out the local spawns, keep the catch/stop streaks going, and save up coins for the next event. We actually caught a Snorlax the other day for the first time in a while - it was on the old Sightings list. Fortunately we didn't have more than 3 things up at the park (at the stops and thus on Nearby) or we never would have seen that Snorlax that was just 2 blocks away.

I don't think I've even seen that many Dratini in a month. Caught 4 out of 5.

The gyms near me have been stagnant again, they're occupied by Red or Blue w/no spots. I've actually noticed if I'm at the bottom of the totem pole I've been kicked out and replaced by players w/similar names but different numbers. i.e. Asshatt1234 and Asshatt2345. It's very common in NY/NJ.

Went to visit the Baltimore Aquarium. I got to touch a jelly fish but other than that, nothing different than by the water in NYC.

I've been in 8 gyms in my town for five consecutive days. That's pretty unusual. Seems like people are only fighting over the three most central gyms.

I think I've been gym less for the last week and a half.

The gyms near work aren't close enough to contest while sitting at my desk, I can see them on my phone and the battle is constant. At least the variety of pokemon is broad here...but damnit, I need them coins.

Game has been pretty boring post-event, but, I caught a Snorlax while walking home two days ago.  (Hadn't seen one in a while.)

And then yesterday, I caught a Lapras while walking home.  Was surprised to see two quality spawns in two consecutive days.

Been pretty boring the past couple of days, gym stagnation means I'm getting back into a couple more solid ones, but I'm usually only getting 40 to 50 coins a day.

I did catch another wild Flaaffy (with a Pinap), so far I've caught four wild ones, I consider that pretty lucky (three of those I think with Pinaps).  Now I have enough for an Ampharos (130 candy), debating if I should just pull the trigger on my 90ish IV 15 ATK lvl 20 Mareep, one of my lesser 60-70 IV lvl 30 ones, or just keep waiting for a higher IV hatch.

I have a feeling my Ampharos is going to be a trophy regardless, though it would be nice to plop a 2400-2500 CP decent defending electric type in gyms, but that would require a high IV and alot of candy / dust.

Yeah that grass event speaks volumes on how little CAGs are discussing it.  I was happy to speed through a Jumpluff, as well as get a Meganium (and well on my way to a second one), but that was the extent of my positive experience.  The fact that I didn't see a single Tangela during the event is the biggest let down, I was hoping to stock pile those candies for the Gen 4 evolution.

If next month is a strictly fire event, not sure I'd be too excited for it.  Fire + Ground may be more interesting if it means a higher rate of Phanpy and Larvitars, as well as for those not in the Geodude / Rhyhorn biomes.

Grass event was indeed boring.  I only stuck with Chikorita's, which I didn't really need anyway.  I did catch two Tangela.  (I've probably only had around ten total.)

Fire would only be good for Cyndaquil...though I'm very close to done with that anyway.

I go to Florida next week.  Excited to get me some regionals!

I'm guessing I'm in a grass & water biome...so the grass event didn't seem like anything new to me. Sad part is the IV level of hundreds of bulbasaurs I've caught since day 1 has just been abysmal.

I saw a local spoofer I guess, he had (2) 3033 cp tyranitars in neighboring gyms. I was like, really? the same cp? I spent the items to crush those two gyms solo to boot him out. what else am I going to do with 125 max potions and 84 max revives anyway.

The grass event helped me finally get an Venusaur so I was thankful for that. Hopefully the next rock event will be good.
Grass event was no different for me here than normal. so that was a non-event IMO.

The rock event that is currently going on, on the other hand, is giving us lots of stuff we don't normally see. We even found one Larvitar in our town, which is a first. My only previous wild catch was in Tucson a couple months back.

But we went out yesterday evening and again today to another hot spot and didn't find more than that one. We did find a coupe of Aerodactyls and that was new for my little kids so they were happy. Those are the first ever wild ones I've seen (but I did finally hatch one in December - it was my last Gen 1 non-regional besides Lapras).

I had been walking a Larvitar for months until this event and between my one hatch, one catch, and walking, I had 82 candy. So now I have 88 with the one I caught yesterday (used a Pinap of course). But the one I hatched kind of sucks, so I stopped walking it and am now walking a Chansey. I decided to power up my single Blissey as high as possible - so I used all my Chansey candy and still have several more power-ups to go. I'm tempted to switch to Mareep, though, since it has been a long time since I've seen one of those. We did catch a few of those plus even a Flaafy in Tucson, but they are just nonexistent here (which is just stupid - we live near farmland ;)). But then I'm also tempted to walk my Snorlax just so I can power up a second one - I only have one over 3000. Too many things to do and not nearly enough time with the decreased buddy distance. Oh well...

Supposedly a gym rework is coming soon and the speculation is that there will be a limit on species per gym. So people will need to have alternatives to Vaporeon/Snorlax/Rhydon/Gyarados/Dragonite. That's why I'd like to get a Tyranitar soon, but I just don't see that happening. I have a decently high Espeon and now Blissey, but they are still only my 14th and 15th highest CP pokes. The top 13 are all from that group of 5.

FWIW - I have now caught 3 shiny Magikarps. The ridiculous magikarp parking lot in Norcross, GA is still active. I was out there the week before last and would drive through it and catch 5-7 karp each time. Today I was at a lake here near home that is a Magikarp spawning area and we only caught 3 in several loops around the lake. I still don't get why that parking lot is the way it is, but I'm not complaining since it is right near the hotel my company puts me in so I can hit it several times a day.

Oh yeah, and my daughter is heading to Germany for 2 weeks on Monday and she refuses to look for Mr. Mime for me :(

I saw a local spoofer I guess, he had (2) 3033 cp tyranitars in neighboring gyms. I was like, really? the same cp? I spent the items to crush those two gyms solo to boot him out. what else am I going to do with 125 max potions and 84 max revives anyway.
I'm guessing they are max IV and maxed to his level, so that's why they are the same. Spoofers look for the perfect IV / perfect moveset ones - because, of course they do ;).

Though that would mean his level is pretty low - what was it?

At least Niantic finally took some steps to address this several weeks back. They made the pokemon IVs and move sets different for every level. So all those level 1 bots crawling around looking for perfect IV mons are now useless - because they won't be perfect IVs for anyone that isn't the level of the bot. People are less likely to use level 30+ accounts for botting because they get caught and banned often - though I'm sure it still happens.

Hah - been away from CAG for a while and now I'm back with a vengeance.

It was a little disappointing to see that the old hot spot (that lake I mentioned earlier - which is in an urban area with shops/restaurants around it) had very little activity on a Friday night during an event that shakes things up around here.  All last summer and pretty much through December, the 8-10 stops around the lake were continuously lured, especially on a weekend night like that.  There weren't any until right before we left this time.  We did see a few other people playing the game there, but nothing like it used to be.  And this was like the first really nice, warm, Friday evening we've had this year.  So that was not a good sign long-term for this game.

That and the fact that I've been in 6 gyms all week.  I'm not complaining about it - when we do lose them, I have a hard time convincing my son to go out with me to retake them even though it is usually just once or twice a week now whereas we used to go out nightly.  He just isn't interested in the game as much either.  As for me, there were many days over the last few weeks when I just did the bare minimum - one spin and one catch.  The events bring me back in, but the last thing that really got all of us excited was the water event/shiny karps.  They need to introduce new things like that, not just have these spawn rate change-only events.

I was really expecting them to pair up at least one new shiny with each event, but that hasn't happened.  I mean, shiny Geodudes could have been a thing with this event for example.

I'm returning home today from Orlando. Caught 12 Heracross and four (one ran) Corsola while down here.
I love the quad candy, as we walked around for days. I'm very close to Tyranitar and Ampharos.

But, the rock event also cut down on the regionals. Orlando had a map that we were gonna use, but it was down half the trip.
Still, happy to have a few!

I'm returning home today from Orlando. Caught 12 Heracross and four (one ran) Corsola while down here.
How long were you there? I'm tempted to bring my older son with me on my next trip for work to Atlanta, then drive down to Orlando for the weekend afterwards - maybe a Saturday through Monday thing and hit up Universal Studios or whatever (I've never been there before). Think we'd be able to get both of those in that amount of time?

I was there five days. Only one partial day did we *specifically* go out and hunt.

I think the rock event hindered our progress on catching them.
That, and Orlando's map was down most of the trip (due to a new Niantic change).

I definitely think you could get them in a day or so...especially if their map is up.

I was there five days. Only one partial day did we *specifically* go out and hunt.

I think the rock event hindered our progress on catching them.
That, and Orlando's map was down most of the trip (due to a new Niantic change).

I definitely think you could get them in a day or so...especially if their map is up.
The maps were down due to some shadowbanning Niantic did of botting accounts. Those local scanners may never be the same. But yeah, the event probably hindered Heracross/Corsola spawns as well. It was a blessing here in that it tamped down the grass spawns we are normally overwhelmed with.

We'd probably be at various amusement parks doing a lot of walking - and I assume those parks are chock full of Pokestops. We both have a lot of coins saved up so we'd also probably spam incense and lures.

So, as the rock event wraps up, I didn't get any good Larvitars not to mention not quite enough candy to evolve one anyway. I did catch 4-5, including one with my Pogo+ while I was driving. But since I figured I wouldn't make it anyway, I switched to walking a Snorlax so I could power up another 3000+ one for the upcoming gym rework. But I still need like 50 more candy and a ton of stardust even to do that.

First Pokemon Go Fest annoucned for Chicago!  Jully 22nd!

I live 90 minutes south of Chicago, so I definitely plan to attend.  Any other CAGs coming in for it?

It's been quiet in here! 

Aside from Unown and the other country regionals, I'm done with my Pokedex.  Hoping to get some/all of those at the Chicago event.

Not sure yet how I feel about the gym rework.  I am *very* upset that we can no longer get the Ace Trainer medal to move up!  It will be stuck at silver for me forever unless Niantic provides a way to up it!  :(

I didn't realize we had a Pokémon Go thread going, but I'm following it now :) My wife and I are casual players, way to hot in AZ to so much hunting, but I do hit a stop every day to keep my run going. Not sure what to make of the gym rework. I can't tell what lvl the gyms are now. I'm wondering if they will have a Poké-fest out west someday, we would totally go. Maybe we will see some of you around.

Raid is amazing.  Using a local facebook group I was able to get in on a level 4 Raid with 10 other people.  Had a chance to catch a 1900 CP wonder Snolax but it got away.

Not sure if like the new coin system as some of my Pokemons are not returning.

Raid is amazing. Using a local facebook group I was able to get in on a level 4 Raid with 10 other people. Had a chance to catch a 1900 CP wonder Snolax but it got away.

Not sure if like the new coin system as some of my Pokemons are not returning.
Agree on both counts. First, the bad... While in theory I can see where they were going with on the new coin/gym setup, there are 2 issues: 1) Obviously they cut the coin payout in half (from 100 per day to 50) so that sucks. 2) But the biggest problem is that you no longer have any control over getting your own coins.

Yeah, you need to wait until someone beats a Pokémon out of a gym, and it needs to happen once a day, but only after that Pokémon has been in for 8 1/3 hours. So what this has led to is me and my son trying to get as many Pokémon into as many gyms as possible. It caps at 20 and we haven't hit that yet but we've been in 14. Our strategy now is to go out around 11:30 - 12 midnight and take over any easy ones and put in low-level crap. Then we hope they can stick in there until 8-9am and if it gets beat then, we are good for the day. It has been working so far but it is considerably more work than the old system where we would be in some gyms for weeks and only had to retake stuff every few days at the most. it is almost like you are encouraged to set up a deal with someone from the other team and try to swap gyms every day. If you could get that down to one particular gym you wouldn't feel the need to take over every one you can in the hopes that someone beats one of them, but not too many of them at once.

Probably the simplest fix they could make here is to have the coin cap be weekly and not daily. Make it 350/week instead of 50/day. Problem pretty much solved, since you wouldn't have to worry about daily gym turnover - just take a bunch at the beginning of the week and let them erode as the week goes along.

The good... Raids are definitely fun, and are bringing out a lot of people I don't normally see in gyms. We have a Pokémon Go Facebook page for our small town and it was never really active before. There was the occasional "Snorlax spotted" post but by the time you see that it is usually too late to drive wherever that is. With the 2 hour countdowns on Raids, though, it is a completely different story. Still, this is a small enough town that we struggle to get people to beat the Tier 4's. Me and my son rushed downtown to beat a Tyranitar with 10 minutes left because a handful of people couldn't beat it. You need 5 people minimum for those it seems.

Anyway, it does seem that most of the Tier 4's are Tyranitar which is excellent since we never get Larvitars here. Both of my kids got their first Tyranitar that way. We've participated in 5 Tyranitar raids, 1 Lapras, missed a Snorlax one, and passed up a couple of Venusaur ones. We haven't even see the others (Blastoise, Charizard, and Rhydon) and I'm fine with that. The only other one we are even looking for is Tier 3 Machamp because my son doesn't have a good one yet and it is a great counter for the better Raid bosses (Tyranitar, Snorlax, and Blissey if/when they add it).

Of the 5 Tyranitars, I could only catch 3 of them (those bastards are slippery) and I got like the worst possible IVs: 76%, 80%, 84%. fuck. Really!? My son got a 98% one though. And my Lapras was a 96% which beats all 2 or 3 of the ones I've hatched by a large margin.

One small issue with raids and the one free pass per day thing is that Tier 1 and Tier 2 (and most Tier 3) raids are utterly useless. I don't think people do many of those. A potential fix here is to sell a 3-use pass for, say, 150 (like an incubator). Or maybe an all-day pass for 500 or something. Then people would be more inclined to do lower level ones.

I'm just a little concerned that I'm reading that the current Raid system is beta and they will be making Tier 4's much more rare once they finalize it.  So that's why we are trying to hit up as many as we can.  I've been using my surplus coins from the last few months on extra Raid passes and have stopped buying incubators so often.  I mean, one of the reasons I've been buying them is to try to get Larvitars to evolve/power up my one previous Tyranitar.  Now with the ability to get them directly, plus candy, plus rare candy, the incubators seem like a waste since 10k eggs usually end up being Sudowoodos or Gligars...

I haven't discussed the other raid rewards yet: TMs!  I was finally able to change my 3333 Dragonite from the crappy Steel Wing fast move to Dragon Tail.  And I gave my one and only Blissey Dazzling Gleam.  I changed my 100% IV Gyarados from Bite to Dragon Tail, my Espeon from Psychic to Future Sight, and a few others...

I am using all my coins for raid pass.  I just don't this level of interest lasting more than a month or two.  After getting 5 or 6 Tyranitars do you really need another one?  I hope they rotate in new pokemon for raid in time before the interest dies down.

As for the new gym system, the old system got stack with Blissey and Dragonite that made it too much work  to boost or take down.  

I am using all my coins for raid pass. I just don't this level of interest lasting more than a month or two. After getting 5 or 6 Tyranitars do you really need another one? I hope they rotate in new pokemon for raid in time before the interest dies down.

As for the new gym system, the old system got stack with Blissey and Dragonite that made it too much work to boost or take down.
We never really had a Blissey problem around here since Chansey are almost nonexistent. But I was getting 6-10 gyms every day with minimal effort before. The update certainly mixes things up and makes it more interesting but much greater work to get far fewer coins (and not even a guarantee of getting them unlike the old system) is a little frustrating. Just tonight people cleared out two more of our gyms just before midnight so we lost 6-8 gyms all today with just a 50 coin reward. We only have 4 now, all of which have been stagnant for 2 days, so unless we go out and retake some more we probably won't get coins tomorrow.

As for Tyranitar, yeah, I'm going to keep going until I get a really good one. 76, 80, and 84% IV don't cut it ;). And we're doing as many as we can for multiple reasons. They might decrease the frequency of raids, or at least Tier 4 ones. And as you suggest they might rotate in different bosses. We'd love Blissey or Ampharos (I'm nowhere close to being able to fully evolve a Mareep yet). But I want to lock down a great Tyranitar first.

I never did come back to say I hate the new coin system also.  I used to have a few gyms that I'd stay in for months.  (Way off the beaten path.)  Now, there's no point for them to be out there really.

If it's not Snorlax, Lapras, Tyranitar, Machamp, or Magikarp (because I want a shiny + good IV's), I ignore the Raids.  I have also been trying to get my fill, since I also figured they'll scale back the rate soon.

I had hatched and walked and evolved my first Tyranitar and it was a 93%.  My first T-tar Raid:  96%.  :)

I like the new system so far, but it's definitely as ironed out as it could be. I do love how gyms are now Pokestops. Now where I work (a library) is a gym and a Pokestop so I can replenish my items while at work. Plus my workplace has been the site for a few raids too.

I had hatched and walked and evolved my first Tyranitar and it was a 93%. My first T-tar Raid: 96%. :)
You saw my luck (76, 80, 84%)... My son, meanwhile, got a 98% one and he didn't even have one before.

I have had terrible luck on catches on my more recent raids. I had two T-Tars, a Snorlax, and a Lapras all escape from me after multiple great throw/golden raspberry combos (which according to a thread on Silph Road should be 30-40% catch chance).

Then today, since we didn't raid yesterday, we went ahead and did a Venusaur and of course I caught that on the very first ball (and apparently just the other day they equalized all the Tier 4 boss catch rates so it wasn't any easier - just my luck to catch the crap one).. And it wasn't even good (under 80%). We found a second level 4 raid and it was a Blastose so we skipped that. Blah. At least we have 2 free passes for tomorrow.

At this point, all I want to do are Machamp and Tyranitar. I simply can't use a Lapras or Snorlax at that low of a level since I lack both candy and stardust to do anything with them. Also, in both of those cases, it is no different than an egg hatch (but without the extra candy and stardust). Hopefully the anniversary event includes extra stardust (let alone legendary raids).

I'd still like to get at least one 90%+ Tyranitar before anything changes though. My one previous decent Larvitar hatch that I evolved just prior to this last update (after walking one for 100's of km) was only 87%. I'm holding off on powering him up until I see if I can get a better one.

We went to three raids yesterday: Snorlax, Lapras, Tyranitar. All within 15 minutes of each other. I went 3/3 on catches, and all were pretty dang good.

So far, the only two raid Pokémon I haven't caught were Blastoise. :lol: I was only doing that raid to help some others.

it's been exactly 1 year since I played Pogo, and I have still yet to see a Snorlax on the map/radar.

I only saw Lapras because she came out during the water event.

Snorlax has been my easiest to obtain "rare". 

Seen:  26

Caught:  26

Still been having some fun with raids.  Getting a little excited for Go Fest in Chicago.  I need to get a really fancy battery charger.

I've yet to see a Lapras in the wild. Hope to get one eventually. Ash Pikachu isn't too hard to find for me. I've seen several so far.

I'm having to crush through eggs to try and get a 2km Pichu with the hat.  Haven't had any luck with it so far.

Go Fest...was a pretty big letdown in a lot of ways.

It took likely an hour to get into the park for us from the line, which was okay.  But the cellular service and game stability were almost non-existent. 

You had to scan or manually type a QR code into the game when you got in the park to activate the stops/gyms...and it took 30 minutes or more for us to get those going on all of our phones.  (I went with two other people.) 

Once they were activated, we walked around just trying to find an area where the game would respond.  The crowd was getting very frustrated. 

There was one small corner of the park near the fence where there was an AT&T cell tower.  We could kinda play the game in that area, so I could spin one Pokestop and interact with one gym at best.  The game would still lock up and crash often.

By the end of the day, Niantic promised to reund our ticket prices, give us $100 in Pokecoins, and everyone that attended and scanned their QR code gets a free Lugia.

The fun really happened *after* the event.  Once people were dispersing, they released the legendary raids within a 2 mile radius of the park.  Unowns, Heracross, rare spawns, and legendary raids were scattered all over this area.  And it was extremely fun running from gym to gym.  (Plus, the birds were 100% capture rate up there.)

I really, really wanted to spend more time up there, and I really wish we could've ran back up yesterday or tonight, but it's not gonna happen.  I've seen people posting from up there showing they had 10+ of each bird!

So far I am 1 out of 6 for Lugia and 3 out of 7 for Articuno.  Going to try to get a few more Articuno.  Hopefully Lugia will still be around after Zapdos.

I have six Articuno (best is 93%) and only three Lugia (best is 93%).
Since I received my $100 in coins, I'm gonna hit every legendary raid that I can.

I have six Articuno (best is 93%) and only three Lugia (best is 93%).
Since I received my $100 in coins, I'm gonna hit every legendary raid that I can.
I have had terrible luck with IV's, and my catch rate went WAY down once they supposedly increased the base catch rate (from 2% to 3%) some time last week.

Articuno: 5 out of 16. My highest is 89%. I was about 3 for 5 in the beginning (and caught my very first one Saturday night of the Go Fest when we had to drive 10 miles to the only one that spawned in our area). So afterwards I was an atrocious 2 out of 11 despite making much better throws (always golden razz + curve + nive/great and a few excellent).

Lugia: 8 out of 15, so not bad at around 50%. But my best one is only 91%, and most are substantially lower.

Moltres: 3 out of 4 so far. IV's are 89, 84, and 84.

Really, it is astounding that after 35 legendaries I only got one over 90% (and just barely).

I've had better luck on Moltres the last few days (not just catches, but IVs).  I'm now 6 out of 8, and have a 91% and a 93 % (all IV's are 14).

Yesterday I brought my son's phone to a raid and also caught my daughter's for her after she battled.  I caught ALL THREE of the Moltres (my phone, my son's, my daughter's) from that raid and I was the only person out of 11 or so to catch it at all.  While I got the 91% one, my son got an astounding 1788 minimum IV/CP Moltres (all IV are 10, 67% total).  I'm actually kind of jealous - that may be a collector's item one day.  And that was my daughter's first in 6 or 7 tries so the pressure is off to get us all one at least.

Then today my son had a really high Lugia (probably 95%) escape from him.   That's like the 4th time in a row that he's lost a really good one.  He then said he rage transferred all his legendaries.  I hope he was kidding and didn't really do all of them, though for sure I saw him transfer a few of them.  He has some really bad ones though - like 70% IV.  He is so frustrated he doesn't want to go to raids any more but he wants me to take his phone and do them for him and just let him know if I catch anything.  That's all well and good, but I kind of play this game because it is something we can do together - if I'm running around to raids just with his phone that sort of defeats the purpose ;).

Meanwhile my Lugia also escaped so I'm down to exactly 50% on that (8 out of 16).

I almost feel like I should stop on Moltres with 6 of 8.  But I'll always want to try to get a better IV one.  I mean, if I pull a 98% or 100% I'll probably stop.  But I said the same thing with Articuno and Lugia and have yet to get close to that.

bread's done
Back