Poll: How many CAGs have had a broken 360?

[quote name='ajm1240']From what I've read, that 16% is from the warranty's that this company has sold through stores. Like when you buy an extended warranty. They don't disclose what stores use them. Basically they are selling mini-insurance policies to retailers.

It does not count people who are using MS directly, which as we know is the vast majority of users. So the 16% figure really signifies nothing.[/QUOTE]

That would make much more sense.

I probably just screwed myself by selecting that it hasn't died yet and I have had it since last summer, and I am the second owner of it. I have had disc read errors though, so honestly im just waiting for it to happen.

[quote name='blackhole82']I submitted this to Digg. Feel free to Digg it up so that we can get a more reliable percentage estimation, with the possibility of some new CAGs.[/quote]

Are you kidding? Have you been to Digg recently? Here come the fanboys...

also, I dont really know how people measure failure rate. given a long enough amount of time, everything will fail. if you measure the failure rate of a corolla that you drive every day, I'm pretty sure that after 20 years it'll be over 90% failure rate. does this mean that the corolla has failure issues? I dont think you can say that. over time more 360s will break and surprise, surprise, the failure rate will keep going up (same as any other product).

anyways, I'm not saying the 360 doesnt have hardware problem, I just dont get what the fascination is about the failure rate. especially when you use this sort of thing as a way to quantify it.

Holy Hell .. I expected high numbers .. but not that many lol .. Someone should email this poll to Xbox Customer Service. That would be interesting. Anyways, I myself have had a couple brake ..

Yes, I've had my Xbox 360 break once
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
714 36.35% Yes, I've had more than one Xbox 360 break (or one 360 break more than once)
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
714 people on this site alone have had 1 360 brake, and 453 have had 1 xbox 360 brake more than once, or have a couple brake .. that's just crazy .. :drool:

[quote name='dave17']also, I dont really know how people measure failure rate. given a long enough amount of time, everything will fail. if you measure the failure rate of a corolla that you drive every day, I'm pretty sure that after 20 years it'll be over 90% failure rate. does this mean that the corolla has failure issues? I dont think you can say that. over time more 360s will break and surprise, surprise, the failure rate will keep going up (same as any other product).

anyways, I'm not saying the 360 doesnt have hardware problem, I just dont get what the fascination is about the failure rate. especially when you use this sort of thing as a way to quantify it.[/quote]

The problem is that they fail so early. True, everything fails eventually, but imagine if the Corolla's engine quit working after 30,000 miles. That's kind of what's happening with the 360.

[quote name='mrfreeziexp']The problem is that they fail so early. True, everything fails eventually, but imagine if the Corolla's engine quit working after 30,000 miles. That's kind of what's happening with the 360.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The problems started 6 months or so after launch, if not before. And have just escalated since there.

This is unheard for consoles. They are only supported for 4-6 years historically, the vast majority should be able to last through that time period.

i got my first 360 in January of '07 and within 6 months it got the RRoD and was sent back and recieved. the one they sent back to me has had problems reading discs since about October of '07 so i consider it broken.

I had my Elite for over 6 months and it's still working...but about 2 weeks ago I had to stand it up vertically because it was having "Unrecognizable Disc" errors when it was horizontal. I don't know how much longer it is going to last.

I'm still on my first 360 purchased in early 2006. I do occasionally have a problem getting the disk to eject, but that's about it.

I wish the poll were more extensive, though. I'd like to know, for example, whether having your 360 vertical or horizontal makes a difference in the failure rate, or the average number of hours a week the people who get failures play their 360s.

I play mine probably 10 hours a week or so, and keep it on its side.

My first 360 ringed out, the replacement that I got from MS gives occasional disk read errors (happens a lot with Ultimate Alliance)

Currently on my second Xbox 360 (a mid-2006 date I believe), this one having gone RRoD and repaired (slowly) under the MSFT warranty just last month. First one was a launch unit which was replaced immediately under Best Buy warranty with what is now the current one.

These machines had both been exceptionally well-cared for, well-ventilated, etc. This repair had best hold up.

This is the first time I make note of these as I quietly let them off the hook for the first dead one since it was a launch unit and getting a new one was as easy as stopping by Best Buy. The 2nd one busting on me is the limit though.

I bought mine at the end of September of 2006. Still working fine *knocks on wood, crosses finger, says a prayer, while holding a rabbit's foot and a four leaf clover*

I got my first 360 at launch, and it RROD'd the day after, returned it and got another one and it lasted 6 months, returned it and the third I had and worked fine up until September 07 when I traded it in and bought an elite, which I've had no problems with.

I am on my 6th. My first one died less then a week after i got it at launch. And its been downhill ever since.
The one i have now . The disk drive stops spinning mid game. So the game pauses for long periods of time. Until it decides that it will spin. And it also does not open to give me my dam game back. Maybe its hungry ? LoL

And no i dont have it on the carpet or any other bad location.

I'm not sure which vote I should choose.

My first 360 console, My Pro system, Had a sticky DVD drive and it would get one red ring (One, not three) Now and then but that would go away. Both issues have been fixed.. Except the DVD drive only opens if it is horizontal. Oh well.

My second 360 console, My Elite, Hasn't had any problems. I thought it did for awhile but I didn't put the hard drive back on properly so it messed up a couple of times.

Yes, I've had my Xbox 360 break more than once.
Past thursday, I was playing Halo 3 and in the middle of a match, the thing stopped and the RRoD showed his ugly face. This is my 4th repair =(

Considering that I have had a RRoD AND a hard drive failure 28 days after I bought it, then about a month after I got the next one, the hard drive on that one went kinda bad with Halo 3, I consider it broken :( So Now I am on Box #3. #3 is acting funny, so I am waiting for it to go..then it's back to Microcenter for another exchange :whistle2:(

Bought mine right after Christmas of 06, its going strong through my daily gaming.
Still, Microsoft needs to manufacture better consoles as all but one of my 360 owning friends have had multiple failures.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I never disagreed that it was a valid viewpoint. :D As I said, I was just pointing out that they were different things.

I guess you came around on my harcore gamers play longer sessions which generate more heat and play more period putting more wear and tear on the machine and thus are more likely to get RROD than people who game less argument since you didn't respond to my last post clarifying the point? ;)[/QUOTE]

I overlooked it. It's a possibility, but I see such variance in how long people have their systems before they break that I'm prone to believing that it's certainly possible that prolonged gaming sessions might contribute to hardcore gamers having a higher likelihood of getting RROD, at the same time that I think that may be overstated, and the biggest contributing factor is the awful, awful design of the system.

It's like when a huge game comes out (Halo 3, GHIII) and a few journalistic-integrity-lacking blogs post about a "spike" in RROD occurrences. It's not that these games cause anything except for more people turning on and playing their systems - and the act of turning them on is what brings out the RROD to begin with.

my bro's 360 pro was bought in dec '06 and broke in aug '07. his video or graphics processor was going haywire...any game played was sure to give you epileptic seizures. i sent it to microsoft and he was good to go in just two weeks w/ a brand new 360.

i bought the 360 elite when it first came out on 4/29/07. i got the three red lights on saturday (3/1/08)...sent it in to circuit city to get a gift card replacement. but it's crap b/c i didn't know the warranty was a one time use. now i have to shell out an extra $99 if i want another protection plan. still debating on what to do.

I was able to grab in December right after launch. It failed in May. I purchased the instore warranty used that replacement. Lucky I bought it then. This time if the replacement fails, I can still send it back to Microsoft.

haven't had a broken 360, but mine is kind of messed up

when i turn it off it takes about 20 minutes to fully turn off

the lights and picture disappear, but the fan is still going and it sounds like its running

after about 20 minutes it finally shuts off

everything still works though, so i never bothered to send it in

I guess Ive gotten lucky. I have a launch system and i put LOTS of hours on it daily. The only problem I ever had was about 1.5 years ago, the HD got corrupt, but MS send me another one free of charge within a week.

[quote name='Slate']I think we should all post pictures of where we keep our 360s. Yes, really.[/quote]

Sorry, if I am being presumptuous I think you just want to criticize those of us who have had high failure rates. "its not open enough..." its too close to the tv" "the back is being covered". I believe this is a moot point, as a console should be designed to placed in a reasonable entertainment environment without failure. The 360 fails alot. No one is denying that. It shouldn't matter if its on its side or laying flat....the console is advertised to be kept either way. It shouldn't have to be open at all ends.....almost all entertainment cabinets, and the like, do not offer full openness on all sides. And a console should be designed to kept near a tv........and in a dream world of old even on top of the tv.

In for one repair. Bought 9/11/07 died 9/22/07. Got new one back 10/25/07...still going strong. Although, inputs were messed up just have to restart it once or twice before a/v actually comes on on......oh well, not worth the 30 days of it being gone.

I bought my first system on January 1st, 2006 and it got the RROD after 10 months, after it was repaired it lasted for a year before RROD got it at the end of last year so I ended up buying the Arcade bundle and traded in my old system a couple of weeks ago.

[quote name='CappyCobra']Sent my system in twice and I said fuck it and bought a new one with a 2yr warranty. Sold the refurb on craigslist[/quote]
Wouldn't you know it? The guy just texted me and said that the fucking system RROD. He wasn't sure if it was 3 or 4 red rings but he said he turned it back on again and it was working fine. I offered to get the system back from him and pay him back in full but he really wanted the system. So here's hoping to it working good

[quote name='mykevermin']I overlooked it. It's a possibility, but I see such variance in how long people have their systems before they break that I'm prone to believing that it's certainly possible that prolonged gaming sessions might contribute to hardcore gamers having a higher likelihood of getting RROD, at the same time that I think that may be overstated, and the biggest contributing factor is the awful, awful design of the system.

It's like when a huge game comes out (Halo 3, GHIII) and a few journalistic-integrity-lacking blogs post about a "spike" in RROD occurrences. It's not that these games cause anything except for more people turning on and playing their systems - and the act of turning them on is what brings out the RROD to begin with.[/quote]

First off, shouldn't a system be designed to withstand a reasonable "hardcore gaming" session? 4 -6 hours straight. In that one article (sorry I can find the link if no one knows what I am talking about) One of the 360 designers anonymously confessed that some games do lead to higher failure due to loading and graphic intensity. Such as; Dead rising, gears of war, and Halo 3. I believe when asked this question he responded with an "absolutely!". that shocked me as I was very anti-software-kills-hardware theory.

I'm not defending the console in the slightest - but conceding that it is certainly possible that running a 360 for more prolonged gaming sessions may contribute a slight bit in whether or not your console dies (relative to shorter, 1-2 hour sessions or less).

But, given that some folks have them for years and they work, and others may have them for days before experiencing RROD, I don't know that there is a huge relationship between gameplay habits and RROD. At least, one that would bring the overall failure rate of consoles to a reasonable level.

An Observation. I purchased my first 360 Jan/Feb 06. I only had it approx. 4-5 months and it never went bad (I sold it at the time) but it scared me constantly as it was HOT all the time. I kept it well ventilated but that didn't seem to help.
I purchased my second Nov. 07 and it appears to be a Falcon chipset from everything I have read - it is Noticeably quiter and 100% less heat generating than the 1st system purchased. I think Microsoft is going in the right direction they're just doing it R E A L L Y slow.

My launch-day Elite had a DVD drive failure six months after I bought it. Keep expecting my current unit to die on me everytime I turn it on. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']I overlooked it. It's a possibility, but I see such variance in how long people have their systems before they break that I'm prone to believing that it's certainly possible that prolonged gaming sessions might contribute to hardcore gamers having a higher likelihood of getting RROD, at the same time that I think that may be overstated, and the biggest contributing factor is the awful, awful design of the system.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, of course the terrible design in regards to heat dissipation is the main factor. Every console is at risk because of it. And I'm sure the failure rate is still way too high even among people that only play in shorter bursts.

Playing in marathon sessions just increases risk as heat dissapation is most important when you're running electronics for a long time without giving them a break to cool down.

I'm on my 4th i bought it the day of launch and crap out at 8 months with the rings of death...i sent it got one back (had a warranty thats why i buy my from bestbuy 59.99 and wanted to save it), 2 months later it kept freezing but no rings...but it did sound like i was STARTING UP A LAWNMOWER everytime i turn it on. Took it to the store and trade in for a elite... the elite didn't work but for 2 weeks til i got the rings... took it back to the store and got a pro...sense the new ones had the hdmi port on it anyways didn't see any point getting a elite (it didn't work better like everyone thought it would)....now its been 7 months which been doing good until recently got the rings 2 weeks ago but its still surviving... i guess on to my next journey

******and for those talking about usuage... mine sits on a openshelve with a intercooler on it and has been like that since my first one....i do play maybe 2-4 hrs at a time but on 3-4 days a week.

Even though all this bad luck i still like my 360 over my ps3 because of the games

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Playing in marathon sessions just increases risk as heat dissapation is most important when you're running electronics for a long time without giving them a break to cool down.[/quote]

Actually, there is a school of thought that it is *better* to have your electronics constantly hot rather than repeated hot/cool periods (thermal cycling). The associated expansion/contraction could cause high stress concentration when you have two materials that have different rates of thermal expansion. In college, I interned @ an electronics company and one summer that was my primary project, to test the effect of thermal cycling of copper traces on ceramic substrates. The general conclusion is that the thermal cycling weakened the substrate and was more likely to crack under any sort of load.

I havent cracked open my 360, or run any tests on 360 motherboards, but if could be that the shorter gaming sessions are actually worse than marathon gaming sessions.

For the record, I bought my system March '07 and it died December '07. I generally played at most 3hrs/day. It also was my primary DVD player and in a pretty standard wooden entertainment center.

On my 5th Xbox.

3 died the RROD symptoms.
1 had the DVD tray die.

5th one has HDMI port and was cheaper so BB gave me $50 back.

I am on my 4th xbox 360 since November of 2005. And the sad thing is that I may only play it like 3 hours every 2 weeks. The system may go 2-3 weeks without even being powered on and it stil went 3 times on me, but then I got a totally new one after it failed me 3 times!

Bought my system on launch and I'm currently on my 4th Xbox 360..... I just got my 3rd refurb a couple of weeks ago

[quote name='hostyl1']Actually, there is a school of thought that it is *better* to have your electronics constantly hot rather than repeated hot/cool periods (thermal cycling). [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard that and used to leave my PCs on all the time because of it. But then I had problems with fans going bad (and I'm too lazy to replace shit like that) so I went back to turning mine off every night.

For the 360, I'd think the theory could be thrown off since it gets so hot and has such a poor heat dissapation design. A lot of the problems from what I've read aren't with things expanding and contracting (and thus cracking etc.) it's with things getting too hot and solder etc. melting letting chips pop off the graphics board etc.

bread's done
Back