Poll: How many CAGs have had a broken 360?

I also like to see how many hours people put into their system. I wonder if it is happening to people who played 4 hours a day or to 4 hours a week.

[quote name='62t']I also like to see how many hours people put into their system. I wonder if it is happening to people who played 4 hours a day or to 4 hours a week.[/QUOTE]

I didn't play mine all that much, but it bit the dust.

I've got an Elite with a Zephyr inside that I bought used (but well cared for) two months ago from a friend of a friend. So far, so good, but I will not be surprised if (when) it goes tets up. The good news is the guy bought a two year Best Buy warranty when he got it, and told me if it ever red rings, he'll be happy to help me make use of it (I actually have the receipt, but I'd probably still need him to do it since he bought it with his CC, right?). And there's always the option of going through Microsoft.

Right now my hope is it will survive into the summer or fall when the Jasper systems start appearing, at which point I'd be happy to trade up.

[quote name='THECLAW92']This thead has one error. First gamers on CAG play a lot. Unlike most average gamers playing.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily, there are many different folks here. I am a light gamer and I am on my 5th machine. On average I game at most 4 to 5 hours / week. My machine gets equal use as a DVD player though if not more occasionally.

[quote name='THECLAW92']This thead has one error. First gamers on CAG play a lot. Unlike most average gamers playing.[/QUOTE]

wat.

If you're suggesting that somehow playing a video game console a lot will break it, you need only to look back at virtually every other system that has ever been created. People are still able to play their NES's from 1985.

[quote name='Tybee']I've got an Elite with a Zephyr inside that I bought used (but well cared for) two months ago from a friend of a friend. So far, so good, but I will not be surprised if (when) it goes tets up. The good news is the guy bought a two year Best Buy warranty when he got it, and told me if it ever red rings, he'll be happy to help me make use of it (I actually have the receipt, but I'd probably still need him to do it since he bought it with his CC, right?). And there's always the option of going through Microsoft.

Right now my hope is it will survive into the summer or fall when the Jasper systems start appearing, at which point I'd be happy to trade up.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy service plans are transferable, so you will just need to have him call the service center. I would do it sooner than later though.

I've had my 360 since November 06 and never had the red ring of death. I've however had almost every other possible issue happen. From the circular scratch on my new disks, constant locking and freezing, disc is dirty error and so forth and so forth. Had it sent to microsoft twice and replaced once. Hell, this thing locked up on me an hour and a half after i opened the box and set it up for the first time. There's no question this system was rushed to a point where it shipped incomplete. Not to start any flame wars but i've had a ps3 since January 07 and it has not once failed. I use the PS3 almost everyday since almost everytime i use the 360 it messes up. $399.99 and im afraid to turn this shit on, ain't that a bitch.

I got my 360 at zero hour launch and it has the red rings right now for the second time. I went with my friend to the launch and his has got the red rings three time he is on is 4th 360.

My Mt. Dew launch 360 is still running fine (with the lone exception being the IR port). It has over 3,000 hours of active play time on it. It even survived a 3,000 mile move across the country.

I picked up my 360 at the midnight launch at my local gamestop with a 1 year ex. warranty. It died on me 12 months and 2 weeks later. gamestop wouldnt help me out... but microsoft stepped up, thankfully. I have 3 friends that have also had their system die. one of which is on his 3rd system. I fear its only a matter of time before mine fails again. I just hope its still within the 3 year warranty....

[quote name='dmaul1114']
And you have to keep in mind that it had to be a DAMN high failure rate for money grubbing Microsoft to drop $1 billion on the warranty extension.[/quote]

If you think about that dollar amount, they basically put aside enough money to fix EVERY 360 in the marketplace. If we could fast forward a year, I bet the failure rate would be even higher than this survey shows.

[quote name='Cedrock15']Yea theres no question that these polling results are off...way off.

I have another theory for why xbox 360s break (based on 2 friends). It's that you have to use it daily like, and cant let it sit for a half a week, a week or longer. I've played mine everyday for the last year and a half (missed probably 15-20 days total) and no red ring. Two of my friends played it alot when they got it then one got the red rings right after he booted it up after it sat for a about 2 weeks. The other would play onces every week or so and his broke.

Im curious as to how often people that got the red rings played and if it came after a break. The system is like an old car, you have to use it often to make sure everything flows but you can't beat on it ;)[/quote]

I heard if you only play the 360 on days in which the moon is in alignment with Pluto, it will never red ring.

Your theory comes from a sample size of 2...this survey has responses from over 3000 CAGs. There is no reason to believe that our results aren't in the ballpark. We have not had an unusual increase in user registrations during the poll, and we have a large enough sample size that even with a few fanboy tamperings, the end results wouldn't change much.

This survey should accurately reflect the percentage of CAGs who have experienced Xbox 360 console failure. I have yet to see any reason why this is not true.

My 3rd 360 just died today. Went to pop in my new copy of MLB 2k8 and there was the single ring of death, a beautiful hardware failure. Not going to pay $100 to get another system that will break in 6 months from them.

My 360 was purchased in November 10 of 2006. Anyways, my 360 had a broken disc tray, one which would not close properly. It would remain open once you pressed the eject button and would not stay shut. It turns on and everything, played demos and anything else on the harddrive fine, but obviously no discs based games. I know two friends that had similiar experiences, but that's anecdotal so it doesn't count. Plus, those idiots do not treat there's as well and they were able to fix it under warranty. This incident occurred just a year after it was purchased, in November 15, 2007. Sadly, Microsoft would not accept the repair since only the red rings were covered for 3 years and all other types of failure were for 1 year warranty. Well, that's what I was told and tried several calls with different reps with no avail.

Fortunately, my handy older brother was able to open the box and fix the drive tray himself. Not quite sure, but I was told the drive mechanism was botched, which prevented it from locking. Warranty-schmaranty!

And whoever posted that the RROD occurs when not in use daily, I've gone days and a couple of months without usage. Some fanboy bait, because I only enjoy a handful of games on the 360, the majority are garbage....:roll: But now, I've been using it a lot lately. Oh noes, I jinxed myself!

It has to be way more than the published figure. Anyone (like me) who has a working 360 after a year knows its only a matter of time.

Once you get a refurbed 360, your odds of another RROD go up exponentially.

I purchased my first Xbox 360 at launch; it promptly red ringed in the first two days. I got my system promptly replaced, and it lived a good year and a half (which is 75 in people years). That Xbox died in June 07, it was replaced yet again, and the replacement console is the one I have now. Although I believe it may be on its death bed as well; it's been growing progressively louder, and has been locking up more and more often.

Anedotally, of the 10 people that I know that own Xbox 360 consoles, 7 of them have had at least one console red ring on them. 1 of the 10 is currently on his fifth console.

I've taken nothing but the utmost care of all of my consoles. So to those douches that are suggesting that the problem is our fault for not taking care of our systems, and not Microsoft's for making a shitty product, go to hell.

Good luck to everyone that still has a working console; I doubt your party will last much longer.

my "built october 31, 2005" launch console lasted over two years, and finally gave out a couple months ago. i'm in the process of moving, so i still haven't gotten it sent in yet.

I have a launch console. About Oct 2007 the DVD drive started to grind. I called for a repair before it scratched a $60 game. Turn around time from initial call to 360 back in hand 18 DAYS! I was quite impressed, from some of the sob stories I guess I got lucky. Still no Red Ring……..

[quote name='CheapyD']If you think about that dollar amount, they basically put aside enough money to fix EVERY 360 in the marketplace. If we could fast forward a year, I bet the failure rate would be even higher than this survey shows.[/quote]

Not necessarily, as long as several factors come into play:
1) the 360 continues to sell at the same rate it has
2) future hardware revisions remain as unreliable as previous iterations (despite the numbers in this poll, there may be some credence to the "falcons are more reliable" notion - but we have, honestly, no idea if they might be disproportionately represented in any of the 4 categories that would tell us how they differ)
3) what the sales of used/refurb 360 consoles look like. Consumers are more aware of the 360's reliability issues than would typically be the case (e.g., only those active in gaming circles being aware of those issues), so depending on how many used or refurbished consoles cycle into the market, that may impact numbers in one way or another. If they are low, while hardware revisions alleviate most of the console's endemic problems, then we may see the proportion of dead 360's drop.

We have not had an unusual increase in user registrations during the poll

That answers, indirectly, my previous question. Thanks.

I don't see why we couldn't think that 59-60% is the actual predicted failure rate of a given 360 console. One way to actually *guarantee* what the failure rate of the 360 is would be to randomly sample CAGs. We get the same consoles everyone else does, so perhaps sending a PM to 1000 or so (maybe 500 if more feasible) CAGs to ask them (1) if their 360 has died, and (2) if so, how many have they had die on them. This way you could get both a scientifically valid and reliable estimate of how many new storebought consoles die, as well as a valid and reliable estimate of how many 360s die (including refurbed and repaired consoles' second and third deaths as independent events).

Is that feasible to do, Cheapy? It would, no doubt, provide CAGs and gamers in general with the first valid death rate of the console. If you can get the time from purchase to death as well, I could calculate a "life table" for a 360, which would give the month-to-month probability that your 360 would die.

c'mon, let the statistical nerds have their fun, man!

My 3rd xbox 360 out of warranty by 1 week. I am screwed and really feel like giving up on the system, 360 india wont do anything for me, they could care less.

Yeah I am currrently on my 5th Xbox 360. I have seen the RROD 4 times already :bomb:......................Thanks Microsoft!

Just bought a 360 yesterday (Falcon model). Here's hoping it goes the distance. I've had good luck with consoles so far. All of them lasted as long as I owned them, and I currently have a PS2 purchased in '02 and a GC from '04 that are going strong.

Also, damn is that 360 disc drive LOUD. It's a BenQ drive, which is ostensibly one of the quieter models.

Have one broken one so far and I fear the second one is coming along nicely.
I think almost half my friends have had theres break as well.

seriously no bullshitting i had to turn mine in about 8-9 times, shit its probably more or less since i lost count after the 6th one

I'm on the 6 month cusp. On 3/15, I'll be at the 6 month mark. I'm very impressed with the system thus far. But, a glaring 59% failure history of CAGS is past horrendous. Microsoft should be ashamed of itself.

This is my second one to have broken on me. I try very hard not to over run it and make sure it is located right next to the window so as it would not over heat. Also since I work alot I mostly only put in at least an hour or two a night on it.

[quote name='ajm1240']Stop, stop, stop!!!!!

People treat this console no different than any other. PS3's and Wii's fail, but not like 360's. Are you trying to say that Wii and PS3 owners are more careful with their systems? Give me a break!

I LOVE my 360! I hope it never breaks. But to say something like you did in the face of a SIXTY PERCENT FAILURE RATE on this poll, just makes you look like another stupid fanboy.

Xbox 360 is my console of choice. Aside from Drakes' Fortune, there is nothing I want to play on PS3 or Wii. But I am not so silly as to make excuses for MS's piss-poor engineering job by blaming the customers for using the console.[/quote]

ah, thank you! many people don't get this failure rate... it's NOT rants to tell MS get out of the gaming business, but rather cries to let know we can't game like this (i.e. am i gonna get a RRoD tonight? is my X360 being repaired? Shipped? etc...)

[quote name='dsingh2007']In the podcast Cheapy said that even the Falcons are supposedly breaking. Is this true? Damn I thought I was safe when I bought a falcon 2 months ago.[/quote]

Yes, Falcons can still RRoD, so you're not protected...

[quote name='Littlefields']As of now, is there a definite cause of RROD? Or is it pretty much caused by overheating?[/quote]

Microsoft, through their failure analysis, should have a good idea... but they aren't talking :).

Here's a good review of the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

I believe it's probably a multifactorial problem. Poor design that gets exposed by overheating. Due to variability in the manufacturing process and revisions along the way, it would be reasonable to assume that there exists a range of susceptibility among different xbox 360 consoles to heat damage. So it's a combination of luck and the environment of the console (hot climates/restricted airflow/prolonged gaming sessions probably don't help).

[quote name='Cedrock15']Ahh here we go, pulling the fanboy card. Get your facts right, the 360 was my only system until last week where I got a ps3 and i got it strictly for blu ray. The average ps3 owner plays less than the average 360 owner (is my guess) which equates to less time, means less malfunctions. I'm not even going to touch on the wii (basically the power of it isn't up there with the 360 and ps3 so less advanced electronics=less problems imo) But I like how you call me a stupid fanboy, when I've (sadly) played more halo games, than people you've probably seen in your life.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStatsHalo2.aspx?player=YourOnlineHero
http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/CareerStats.aspx?player=YourOnlineHero

My 8000+ gamerscore is also something all xbox 360 haters have as well...please

I want you truthfully tell me that doing any of the things I said will not increase the chance of breaking a 360. We all know that there is a problem with the engineering as I stated but besides that alot of the problems surface from what I said.

PS Darkyoda, very nice videogame rap sheet haha[/quote]

big deal... i'm sorry, but posting your X360 score tells me that you played a lot of X360 games and it also tells me that you probably played a lot of crappy games. And, you spent a lot of times unlocking anal achievements... Anyhow, that's enough to be called a fanboy :)

Look, i got nothing against fanboy or fangirls, as long as they don't defend faults (of course, that logic is flawed, since fanboy/fangilr by definition, defend every little thing that he/she is the fan of).

[quote name='Cedrock15']Yea theres no question that these polling results are off...way off.

I have another theory for why xbox 360s break (based on 2 friends). It's that you have to use it daily like, and cant let it sit for a half a week, a week or longer. I've played mine everyday for the last year and a half (missed probably 15-20 days total) and no red ring. Two of my friends played it alot when they got it then one got the red rings right after he booted it up after it sat for a about 2 weeks. The other would play onces every week or so and his broke.

Im curious as to how often people that got the red rings played and if it came after a break. The system is like an old car, you have to use it often to make sure everything flows but you can't beat on it ;)[/quote]

of course... every poll is flawed. The only thing correct thing from this poll is that you can only vote once (user name wise). Come on, every poll depends on some kind of honesty. Like another user said, if you weed out the new users after the poll is up from all of the options, the picture is more accurate or less biased...

Anyhow, my first X360 died within three weeks... I only played two games on it, BioShock and Gears of War. Both games are very early in the beginning (still getting use to the controller and what nots). I can't play 1-2 hours straight (working dad). So heating is not the cause of my RRoD (checked the system too after i used it, not hot, but warm).

[quote name='Serpentor']of course... every poll is flawed. The only thing correct thing from this poll is that you can only vote once (user name wise). Come on, every poll depends on some kind of honesty. Like another user said, if you weed out the new users after the poll is up from all of the options, the picture is more accurate or less biased...

Anyhow, my first X360 died within three weeks... I only played two games on it, BioShock and Gears of War. Both games are very early in the beginning (still getting use to the controller and what nots). I can't play 1-2 hours straight (working dad). So heating is not the cause of my RRoD (checked the system too after i used it, not hot, but warm).[/QUOTE]

No yours is a premature death. All hardware is prone to a certain percentage of this. Typically it's very low and you are just unfortunate. What makes me upset is that when u get a fixed console they do not fix the root cause of the heating issue. So, your next console is bound to fail in 6 or 8 months from the heat problem again.

[quote name='Littlefields']As of now, is there a definite cause of RROD? Or is it pretty much caused by overheating?[/quote]

definitely not only introduced by overheating... there are other factors, in my case, i think it's the number of times i kept pressing the on/off button. Don't laugh, i think it's true... Well, my kid is just old enough to crawl and he loves the Xbox button especially when it lights up... Well, whenever that happens, i have to turn the X360 off. At one point, i have to take out the battery in the controller so that the baby can't turn on the X360 from the controller. However, the baby cries when the button is not lighting up (so, i unplugged the X360, this way the baby is happy and the X360 will not be on). Come to think of it, i don't know why there's no on/off button on the back of the X360 (you know like the manual switch on the back of the PS3?).

anyhow, during the third or fourth week, the baby turned on the X360 via the controller (i forgot to take out the battery) and i saw the three red rings... tried all the tricks in the manual (i.e. unplug the brick, hdd etc...), nope, didn't work... called the hotline and got a nice lady, after the chat, the replacement arrived in a little over three weeks. And no problems so far... finished Gears and R6 Vegas.

[quote name='Indiana']No yours is a premature death. All hardware is prone to a certain percentage of this. Typically it's very low and you are just unfortunate. What makes me upset is that when u get a fixed console they do not fix the root cause of the heating issue. So, your next console is bound to fail in 6 or 8 months from the heat problem again.[/quote]

sigh, thanks a lot for the cruel words (j/k)... i really hope that's the end of my RRoD problem (or any other disc problems). So far i'm like three months into the replacement and i put 5-6 hours in it per week (not straight, 1-2 hours a day average). Well, at least it proved that the replacement doesn't have the premature death problem. Well, the replacement's warranty is good for another year and three for Red Rings.

[quote name='mykevermin']

That answers, indirectly, my previous question. Thanks.

I don't see why we couldn't think that 59-60% is the actual predicted failure rate of a given 360 console. One way to actually *guarantee* what the failure rate of the 360 is would be to randomly sample CAGs. We get the same consoles everyone else does, so perhaps sending a PM to 1000 or so (maybe 500 if more feasible) CAGs to ask them (1) if their 360 has died, and (2) if so, how many have they had die on them. This way you could get both a scientifically valid and reliable estimate of how many new storebought consoles die, as well as a valid and reliable estimate of how many 360s die (including refurbed and repaired consoles' second and third deaths as independent events).

Is that feasible to do, Cheapy? It would, no doubt, provide CAGs and gamers in general with the first valid death rate of the console. If you can get the time from purchase to death as well, I could calculate a "life table" for a 360, which would give the month-to-month probability that your 360 would die.

c'mon, let the statistical nerds have their fun, man![/quote]

That's feasible. The only flaw I see is that I think usage plays a significant factor in failure rates. I am not sure the general buying public uses their systems to the same extent and duration as most CAGs. Making us a less reliable sample.

Casual gamers may never get their systems hot enough to cause thermal induced board flexing, soldering fractures or any of the number of surmised causes that trip the general hardware failure. They would also be much less likely to partake in online discussions regarding reliability, skewing our perception of the issue.

However, our sample might be more germane to the dedicated gaming buyer who does play their system more regularly and for more extensive sessions. So it becomes more relevant to us as buyers who are more likely to truly test the durability of the console, but might not be representative of the entirety of 360 buying public (where the 16% failure rate might be accurate).

I think that a >50% failure rate among our demographic is realistic, and the significant number of other more casual console owners are skewing the numbers lower (Statistically fooling MS into thinking the problem is not "that" bad for far too long, while it actually was severe for their most fervent buyers). My anecdotal experience leads me to think, that among gamers like ourselves, a 2/3 failure rate is real and I think the numbers above bare that out- scientific or not.

Aside: I also think to a lesser degree that treatment of the console is a mitigating factor affecting the stability of the system. I have often surmised that one reason that my launch system is still running that I have never once moved it since it was set-up (besides that fact that I usually game in relatively short 1-2 hour sessions). While my brother's have both trucked theirs over to friend's houses, on vacations and during the holidays. It seemed insane to me when I saw one of my brothers pack his up hot (after a four/five hour gaming session) to haul it somewhere. I told him he was nuts, knowing what we all know about the hardware problems with 360s. Sure enough, both brothers saw RRoD failures. I don't know how indicative this is of us as a whole, but I think younger buyers in the gaming community are much more likely to travel with their consoles and might contribute to "Hardcore" gamers seeing the significant failures that we are.

Bought 10/18/06. Run fine, except last night DVD drive started making loud scratching sounds. This will be the first ever system to die on me having owned every Nintendo, Sega and Sony console since the NES (Excluding PS3). Also the least played. (RPG gamer)

I have had an Xbox360 since July of 2007 and it has not had any problems yet. The thing was refurbished which makes me think they might have done a good job fixing it when I bought it. Hopefully I can say this still in another six months.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']That's feasible. The only flaw I see is that I think usage plays a significant factor in failure rates. I am not sure the general buying public uses their systems to the same extent and duration as most CAGs. Making us a less reliable sample.[/quote]

(edited for brevity)

Good points all around. I have to disagree, at least conceptually, on a few points:

1) if the actual failure rate is 16%, and we accept that it jumps to 59% when you consider 'hardcore' (or 'active' gamers, whatever terminology you use for those who are more immersed in gaming culture than the average buy-a-360-and-just-play-it person), then we're talking about a console whose fragility is frighteningly moreso than even the most ardent skeptics could consider at this point. That gap, IMO, can't simply be explained by gameplay.
2) I'll concede the probability of other contributing factors, because (a) they're a fact of life and (b) they are logical - don't give your 360 room to breathe, it may die faster; leave it on for three weeks in a roe, it may die faster. That said, gamers aren't thick when it comes to contributing factors, and isolated causes of console deaths have been found in the past (NES cartridge slot, Xbox DVD drives, PS2 DVD drive motor/laser). Yet, with the most failure-ridden console in history, people can't really figure out the major reason(s) for the RROD. It could be because, being endemic to the structure of the console, it's totally random when it might happen, or it could be that the causal factors are so numerous that it's incredibly hard to isolate them.
3) I'll still stick by my belief that, even if CAGs play their consoles more (I put maybe 30 minutes to 2 hours a week on each console, except the DS, which gets maybe 4 hours - but, y'know, anecdotes and all that), they get consoles that have the same reliability of those bought by non-CAG consumers. So a random sample of 1000 CAGs, and isolating only those with a 360, we can actually get the first *genuine* 360 failure rate.
4) While I can make the concessions in point #2, I'll make an addition I'm a bit ashamed I didn't make earlier (given what I research). An RROD on a CAGs console is as much of an RROD as a non-CAGs console, so if anything, the CAG results would give an accurate representation of the 360's failure rate. It may be used more, but we shouldn't expect that a console should die/RROD *period*. Is it more likely that it happens when a system has overheating issues? Undoubtedly. At the same time, that is still a console death that is Microsoft's fault, and not the gamers. Right?

I'd still like to see a random sample of CAGs asking:
1) If they have a 360
2) If they have experienced RROD
3) If they have experienced more than one (and how many if so)
4) If they can estimate the lifespan of each console (in months)
5) How many hours they game on the 360 per week, on average

bread's done
Back