Poll: How many CAGs have had a broken 360?

[quote name='mykevermin']
I'd still like to see a random sample of CAGs asking:
1) If they have a 360
2) If they have experienced RROD
3) If they have experienced more than one (and how many if so)
4) If they can estimate the lifespan of each console (in months)
5) How many hours they game on the 360 per week, on average[/QUOTE]

That would be interesting. I'd add:

6) How many hours their average gaming session lasts?

or maybe something like:

How often do you play for ___ or more hours without a break? (But not sure what the cutoff should be).

It still seems to me that with overheating issues one 8 hour session could be more "risky" than playing 12 hours spread evenly over 7 days or whatever.

2 launch systems......No failures......XBOX Elite....No Failure...... 2 Vertical....one horizontal. All are plugged into power conditioning Power Strips (MONSTER & PureAV).

My personal systems get 3-5 Hours use every day.....though methinks the most I've ever stressed a 360 is almost 24hrs Straight of Rainbow Six : Vegas on Xmas day a couple years ago.

Amongst the 20 of my friends locally.....only 3 have so far RROD-ed.

Guess we got a good batch.......

I still think the whole thing is better than the reliability rate of my PS1s and PS2s.....in my family every single sibling had to replace both of those systems not just once but 2x. Does that count as 200% Failure Rate??

So be glad Microsoft is at least repairing the 360s.

[quote name='mykevermin'](edited for brevity)

Good points all around. I have to disagree, at least conceptually, on a few points:

1) if the actual failure rate is 16%, and we accept that it jumps to 59% when you consider 'hardcore' (or 'active' gamers, whatever terminology you use for those who are more immersed in gaming culture than the average buy-a-360-and-just-play-it person), then we're talking about a console whose fragility is frighteningly moreso than even the most ardent skeptics could consider at this point. That gap, IMO, can't simply be explained by gameplay.
2) I'll concede the probability of other contributing factors, because (a) they're a fact of life and (b) they are logical - don't give your 360 room to breathe, it may die faster; leave it on for three weeks in a roe, it may die faster. That said, gamers aren't thick when it comes to contributing factors, and isolated causes of console deaths have been found in the past (NES cartridge slot, Xbox DVD drives, PS2 DVD drive motor/laser). Yet, with the most failure-ridden console in history, people can't really figure out the major reason(s) for the RROD. It could be because, being endemic to the structure of the console, it's totally random when it might happen, or it could be that the causal factors are so numerous that it's incredibly hard to isolate them.
3) I'll still stick by my belief that, even if CAGs play their consoles more (I put maybe 30 minutes to 2 hours a week on each console, except the DS, which gets maybe 4 hours - but, y'know, anecdotes and all that), they get consoles that have the same reliability of those bought by non-CAG consumers. So a random sample of 1000 CAGs, and isolating only those with a 360, we can actually get the first *genuine* 360 failure rate.
4) While I can make the concessions in point #2, I'll make an addition I'm a bit ashamed I didn't make earlier (given what I research). An RROD on a CAGs console is as much of an RROD as a non-CAGs console, so if anything, the CAG results would give an accurate representation of the 360's failure rate. It may be used more, but we shouldn't expect that a console should die/RROD *period*. Is it more likely that it happens when a system has overheating issues? Undoubtedly. At the same time, that is still a console death that is Microsoft's fault, and not the gamers. Right?

I'd still like to see a random sample of CAGs asking:
1) If they have a 360
2) If they have experienced RROD
3) If they have experienced more than one (and how many if so)
4) If they can estimate the lifespan of each console (in months)
5) How many hours they game on the 360 per week, on average[/quote]

All valid considerations. I wonder how many casual players buy a 360, have it go tits up and then just say "fuck it" never to be counted. I know one gamer who was tapering off consoles back to PC's that just said screw it and never bothered with replacing his.

How the hell do play on your DS that much a week. My wife's DS Lite kills my hands, they literally ache after 10 minutes. The DS is the only thing worse than FPSing with a dual shock for me.

I've never had problems with it. Although, I just had my dad ship it from Texas to New York, so I'm hoping it doesn't get damaged in the process.

I primarily play RPGs, which means I can't put much time into anything but the DS/GBA, really.

Lost Odyssey looks interesting, but a game getting the reviews it is getting right now, if it were on a console that had RPGs to begin with, would have been forgotten already.

I've only had my 360 since christmas so it hasn't broken yet but I heard somewhere that the failure rate is around 34%. I think it's higher than that but either way, Microsoft aren't doing to good with that.

Yeah I would say the poll is pretty damn accurate. I'd say the failure rate after 1 year is around 60%. I have a 360 I bought ~3 months after launch and it's never had a problem. Woohoo.

mine just died after 2 1/2 years of faithful service used the towel method to extend it one month through the old spice free give away on voic e won 5600 microsoft points...........then it finally died for good..my brothers xbox has died.....when I returned my xbox to the ups center they said 80 have passed thru here since october of 2007 when he started working there...the problem is I am on a island of 3000 year round.......I didn't know there was even 80 xbox on the island ...wow

I just had my 360 Elite give me 2 red rings yesterday. I googled it to find that it was over heating, called Microsoft and they confirmed the same thing. I talk to a few xbox live friends and they told me it was on the beginning stages of getting the 3 red rings of death and to know that it was on its last leg. I used my PRP plan at Best Buy to exchange for another Elite today, brought it home and search the net to see if it was a Falcon. I got lucky and it is a Falcon along with a BenQ DVD Drive...wow it's so quiet, I'm so happy like it's Xmas morning. Hopefully I won't have any problems, knock on wood!

I bought my first 360 in March '06. It died in August '06.

My second 360 (new) went from August to January '07 before keeling over.

My third 360 (new) has been going strong since January '07 (knock on wood).

Is it too late for me to change my vote? Mine just did the same thing, last night, and of course it was a week after my warranty went out for "that issue."

[quote name='OVERKILL1972']It took alomost a year before mine broke. It didn't red ring though. My dvd drive went bad.[/quote]

On my third replacement 360. Hopefully it will last for awhile even though I destroy it daily with a good beating of COD4!!!

About 2 years and 2 months with graphical glitches and freezes, but it kept on ticking. However, it's currently on its way back from being repaired for its first failure, the RRoD.

Mine took about 6 to 8 months after i had my 360 before i had to send it to MS in a coffin. Now about another 8 months later, im having problems with my disk drive getting stuck and not wanting to eject when the console is standing vertical , but no problems when sitting flat. Hope its not a sign of problems to come. Last time it took me over a Month to receive my repaired 360 and i cant go though that again!

I am on my 3rd Xbox360. My launch Xbox360 died after approx 18 months. The 2nd one RROD just 2 months ago.

However, my brother's launch Xbox 360 is still working. Likewise my nephew's launch Xbox 360 is working.

I had a original launch day xbox 360 it has not broken down. My brother took it off to college. As far as i know it has not broken down knowing i saw him on live the other day. My new one and it hasn't broken down so far. Should i call this luck :lol:?

Ive gone through two systems, when it broke the third time I bought a new one at the store, put my old broken one in the box and returned it two hours later, and got a full refund. Just speeding up the process through microsoft, one way or another they are going to get a broken xbox, and this one has an HDMI. LOL

Wow, these results alone are way higher than the guesstimated 16%.

This is pretty ridiculous, I've had my 360 since Christmas '07, three months, and it's still running. I do notice some slow down during the cut scenes on Gears of War, but I hoping that this is normal? And a few times while playing a DVD, with the Xbox completely flat, I hear what sounds like the disc rubbing every now and then against the plastic.

"What's that noise man?"
"I think it's the DVD..."
"Is it leaned at all?"
"No, I leveled the surface before I even started playing on it!"
"Well it sounds like it's scratching, if you want to return that DVD, you better make sure that thing's flat."
"Alright, let me try moving it a little..."

BRRRRRREEEEEZZZIIIIZZZZ!!!

This might be common sense, however now I can tell people/restate that you should NEVER move an Xbox 360 whenever you have a disc being read inside. It will scratch the hell out of it, usually rendering it unplayable afterwards.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/16/scratch-that-the-xbox-360-might-damage-discs-after-all/

And while I didn't have a disc scratching problem on the ORIGINAL Xbox console, I did notice that with age, the time for load screens, and the frequency of slowdowns on games (most noticeable when watching the loading screen for level one on the original Halo, booted up on different Xboxes) lengthened over time. After buying one that did this drastically, I sold it off (sorry to whoever received it) and bought a refurbished one. Same problem. Traded it for another one, and, you know where this is going. I must have did this at least five times before I gave up on it. The original Xbox that I purchased new, took a year or so to do this noticeably, and every refurbished one I received did this drastically and initially.

So in my short history, Microsoft has given me some faulty/poorly designed hardware, and I can be fairly sure that my 360 will one day greet me with the RRoD.

To add on (because it's simply not long enough yet): My early PS2 started getting disk read error problems after a few years, and was swapped with a slim PS2 that is still running perfectly to this day. And as far as I remember, I have never had a hardware problem with a Nintendo console, unless we go way back and count dust settling into my old SNES cartridges, making it a semi-chore to get them to read correctly, which I would not count. Or if you count the save-game batteries used in the SNES cartridges that have lost life over the course of 10+ years, but I would not count this either.

...PHEW!

-Darin (Anthem)

After originally voting for the option of "Had an XBOX for more than a year and never had a problem", my system decided to slit its rings. Red Ring of Death for me. Unfuckingbelievable. CHANGE MY VOTE, CHEAPY!

G

P.S. Just wanted to add that I bought the HDDVD add-on a month after I bought the console last year and watched DVDs exclusively on the add-on - not the console. P.O.S.

I got mine at launch and just had my second one go down. It should be on its way back shortly though.

I just sent my 3rd broken one back to MS.

The first two were the RROD, this time it was the Optical drive. I would get the "open tray" message telling me to insert a disc even though I had one in there. It wouldn't even spin.

Although I don't yet have a Xbox 360 (only one exclusive game that interests me currently), I do know of a notable Xbox 360 Unit that had a Red Ring of Death.

An actual kiosk Xbox 360 at Microsoft's own booth at Game Developer's Conference, a game expo in the UK. For proof, you can see the video for yourself on my little video game website. http://www.specialtygamer.com/features/editorials/red-ring-of-death-on-xbox-360/

My friend CaptainInsano16 said he saw a broken Xbox 360 kiosk unit at some store that I think he said some reps were called to replace - or something like that.

[quote name='k9homan']I'm on my 3rd console now; I still haven't received my refund since I paid for a repair of around $120 bucks around a year ago, after they announce they extended the warrenty to 3 years...[/QUOTE]

Hi, just wanted to update the CAG community on repair refund ordeal from M$.
After faxing in a copy of my credit card statement to the good people at 18004myxbox over a month ago, I still haven't receive my $139 rebate check. The service from them has been excellent, I just wish they would just send me the check already. A rep from M$ even called me to said it was approved and I should be expecting a check within 10 days, that was over a month ago. I called them back yesterday and was told to wait another 10 days. My question to the CAG community is:

Has a CAG here received their extended warrenty refund ($139) yet for repairs they paid to get rid of the Red Ring of Death before the 3 year warrenty was announced?

Did anyone else gotten the same run around as I did?

Thanks,

I fuly expect my launch XBOX 360s to explode the day after the 3-yr warranty extension expires as somehow neither of them has had any problems other than the occasional lockup/freeze.

Sooo.. it is May now and after many many calls to 8004myXbox.... I still havn't received my refund repair check of $139. The support guy was nice but had no clue where my check went. He said he will email the support center. I think it is weird how they play Indian Top 40 music while they put you on hold. On top of all that, my 3rd repaired 360 just gave me my 4th Ring of Death...

too many its so big that it was on my news i think was ch 2,4,7

bread's done
Back