Powerup rewards SOTW: 50% off ANY pre-owned games for 5000 points! YMMV?

Potatoechomper12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
DIdn't see this posted, but not that bad of a deal for people on the look out for cheap games that are $20 and under. Not sure if it will apply to more than one game in the same transaction. :3

https://www.gamestop.com/PowerUpRewards/

Edit: fine print says its good for only one preowned game.

Edit 2: this coupon works on any price preowned game! It also stacks with the birthday coupon ending in 2314! Just got Metro 2033(originally 29.99) for 10 dorrars! Get it while it's still hawt!

Edit 3: it has been confirmed that this does not work on 55 dollar games. I am still hoping that this works for games that are higher than $20. The highest I tried was $38. This deal is probably dead naow. :3 YMMV.

Edit 4: according to sodapopinski..."I tried to use a $25 off any item Powerup coupon on a gas card last night. The system wouldn't apply the coupon to the total. I've bought these cards many times with the exact same coupon, and it usually works with no issues. Competent ASM then calls the Powerup helpline. They gave him some interesting info that may be relevant to this thread; apparently they are experiencing coding problems with the redemption of Powerup coupons. This has been a known issue for the last two days. The rep. suggested I try back tomorrow, or the next day, as the issue should be resolved by then."
Thanks for the info sodapopinski!

Credit goes to nietzsche74 for trying this out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to use a $25 off any item Powerup coupon on a gas card last night. The system wouldn't apply the coupon to the total. I've bought these cards many times with the exact same coupon, and it usually works with no issues. Competent ASM then calls the Powerup helpline. They gave him some interesting info that may be relevant to this thread; apparently they are experiencing coding problems with the redemption of Powerup coupons. This has been a known issue for the last two days. The rep. suggested I try back tomorrow, or the next day, as the issue should be resolved by then.

This outage coincides with the sudden ineffectiveness of the 50% off coupon. Reports here are that the coupon cannot currently be redeemed even for items under the advertised $20 threshold.

Quite often, the Powerup coupons are applied in the system based on the language of the physical coupon itself, rather than the description on the website. This is evidenced by past trade bump coupons not requiring purchases when the coupon description claims otherwise.

My guess, based on this info: GameStop didn't kill the 50% off coupon, and it will continue to work sucessfully on games over the $20 mark once the system issues are resolved.

I went to GS just now and used the coupon to purchase a pre-owned copy of AC4 on PS4 for only $25. The coupon would not take and they had to do a manual override to get it to work. Thanks Op! Definitely worth the 5000 PUR points!

What does the exact coupon state on it before I purchase and try for myself?
The coupon title reads "50% off the purchase of a pre-owned game" As far the fine print goes, "Subject to availability by location. Prices subject to change. While supplies last. Limit 1 coupon per customer. Coupon must be surrendered upon redemption. Cannot be combine with any other offer. See store associate for details. No dealers. " Blah blah blah...Offer valid 12/3/13 through 12/14/13.

In other words you should be able to use this coupon, no where does it state that it has to be $20 or under.

Should i still try to get the coupon for 5000 points?
It doesn't say the games have to be under $20 right? So i might test my luck.

I was able to get the store clerk to call the DM and get an over ride code, due to the fact the coupon did not say game $20 and under. I picked up RYSE for $24
attachicon.gif
IMG_00000545.jpg
I just beat ryse, going to trade in Ryse at Bestbuy for $42, which i only paid $28 for the game.

topic title needs to be updated it's misleading.

What so misleading about "YMMV"?
YMMV pretty much sums it up. I tried using it today and the manager said I'd have to call customer service. I didn't waste my time trying to argue because I was trying to buy Forza 5 which is a game I don't really want anyway. I'm going to NYC tomorrow so I'm going to try to find a GS that has Ryse in stock

When you submit for the coupon it says 50% off any one preowned game under $20.

Do you just act stupid if the clerk questions it? How you can you point out the fine print yet somehow not see the under $20 part that's clear as day when you redeem the coupon?

YMMV is misleading. It's really if you can find a clerk dumb enough to let you take advantage of an offer.

What so misleading about "YMMV"?
Because it isn't ANY pre-owned game. The coupon online clearly states any game under $20. The YMMV is irrelevant. As someone else also pointed out it isn't your YMMV anyway, more like try to find a manager dumb or lenient enough to attempt an over ride.

Because it isn't ANY pre-owned game. The coupon online clearly states any game under $20. The YMMV is irrelevant. As someone else also pointed out it isn't your YMMV anyway, more like try to find a manager dumb or lenient enough to attempt an over ride.
Sir, I believe the "Your Miles May Vary" addendum to the description of the offer from which this thread's title derives its genesis is sufficiently adequate in covering any additional conditions necessary for the redemption of the aforesaid offer. "YMMV" is often applied here to deals whose execution might depend on the competence (or lack thereof) possessed by the employee of a particular establishment. But I would argue that's not even the case here. Notwithstanding the fact that at least two contributors to this thread successfully procured the 50% off following the coupon's initial release, and many more via override not long after, I believe the onus is on Gamestop to honor the terms of the coupon as presented. And that coupon clearly states "50% off the purchase of a pre-owned game." As long as the coupon is from a legitimate source (as in this case), extraneous verbiage not directly appearing or referenced on the coupon is irrelevant. Gamestop of course "reserves the right" to not accept the coupon, but I don't see the intellectual capacity of a particular employee being any sort of factor in this refusal.

Most businesses see it in their better interests to accommodate the needs of their customers than risk losing the patronage of that customer, even if this accommodation involves a minor loss. Most employees and managers understand this, and will often make it their prerogative to avoid any unreasonable questioning of their customers. Thus, the coupon would seem to have been accepted according to its present terms on multiple, and verifiable, occasions. Minor YMMV. Of course, we cannot ignore the possibility of a condition that would drive this offer so far outside the boundaries of "YMMV" that it would be a bannable offense to even mention the offer on CAG; that condition being: corporate "pulls" the coupon by contacting their employees and directing them to no longer accept it. Presently, we have no confirmation of this having occurred; therefore-

Me think YMMV just about covers it.

Sir, I believe the "Your Miles May Vary" addendum to the description of the offer from which this thread's title derives its genesis is sufficiently adequate in covering any additional conditions necessary for the redemption of the aforesaid offer. "YMMV" is often applied here to deals whose execution might depend on the competence (or lack thereof) possessed by the employee of a particular establishment. But I would argue that's not even the case here. Notwithstanding the fact that at least two contributors to this thread successfully procured the 50% off following the coupon's initial release, and many more via override not long after, I believe the onus is on Gamestop to honor the terms of the coupon as presented. And that coupon clearly states "50% off the purchase of a pre-owned game." As long as the coupon is from a legitimate source (as in this case), extraneous verbiage not directly appearing or referenced on the coupon is irrelevant. Gamestop of course "reserves the right" to not accept the coupon, but I don't see the intellectual capacity of a particular employee being any sort of factor in this refusal.

Most businesses see it in their better interests to accommodate the needs of their customers than risk losing the patronage of that customer, even if this accommodation involves a minor loss. Most employees and managers understand this, and will often make it their prerogative to avoid any unreasonable questioning of their customers. Thus, the coupon would seem to have been accepted according to its present terms on multiple, and verifiable, occasions. Minor YMMV. Of course, we cannot ignore the possibility of a condition that would drive this offer so far outside the boundaries of "YMMV" that it would be a bannable offense to even mention the offer on CAG; that condition being: corporate "pulls" the coupon by contacting their employees and directing them to no longer accept it. Presently, we have no confirmation of this having occurred; therefore-

Me think YMMV just about covers it.
Are you ****ing kidding me with this response?

Can someone upload the actual coupon, blacking out any important information?

This is the wording per the .pdf coupon (downloaded yesterday).

(not sure if this link will work)

example.jpg

Just used it on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, got it for $8 and change, good deal for me.  Had to override coupon as well.

This is the wording per the .pdf coupon (downloaded yesterday).

(not sure if this link will work)

example.jpg

Just used it on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, got it for $8 and change, good deal for me. Had to override coupon as well.
Same thing here. I'll be potentially trying another coupon tomorrow as well - could be a beneficial weekend.

Incorrect; although the website description may say that is for any game under $20, the actual coupons clearly do not. I am looking at one of mine right now, and the actual coupons clearly state "50% off the purchase of a pre-owned game", clear as day.

That being said, I of course had to get an override from a GS on Wed night to grab Ryse for $28.xx. After fiddling with it unsuccessfully for awhile, the MOD came over, gave it a shot, then said to override it, no further questions asked. It was clearly a legitimate coupon, and they could have looked at my PUR account and see that I just redeemed the points for it.

He wasn't being 'dumb or lenient'; he was rightfully not hassling me about their computer system being finnicky with one of their own coupons, and simply just made the situation right and got the customer out of the door happy.

From all the evidence presented in this thread, ie the coupons working properly on all games that first night, to the report of a standard $25 off PUR coupon not working for another user, all signs point to this being some larger type of error in their system possibly specific to all PUR coupons. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the verbiage on the website for '$20 and under' was actually just incorrect. As yet someone else mentioned, the coupons usually seem to correspond to the actual text on the coupon, not what the website says.

Another piece of evidence for the website error would be that it also states that the coupon is good from Dec. 2nd-Dec. 22nd, when the actual printed coupon clearly says the period is Dec. 3rd-Dec. 14th.

With all of the great PUR coupons they have had in the past few weeks, and this being a big week for shopping and deals, it is definitely outside the realm of possibility that they were truly meaning to offer the 50% off coupon for 5000 points. It's just a great holiday deal. Again, they had that 25% off for something ridiculously cheap a few months ago, so there is precedence.

I fully expect the error to be corrected on their end within the next day or two, and I will use my remaining coupons on the rest of the next gen games I want to get for sub-$30.

Anyone tried yet today?  I'm about to run out to the mall with my family.  I'll duck into the GS there and see if they have anything there that I want and I'll give it a shot.

No workie today, I got really lucky cause the clerk said they were having issues with coupons not working I asked if they tried to use the same 50% off and he said it was a different coupon... he manually overrode NBA 2K14 to $24.74 no questions asked. Score!!

Just left. Got Injustice for Vita for like $16. Coupon wouldn't work. I didn't say anything just "Hmm that's weird..." cashier changed the price. No arguments from me!

just picked up forza 5 for 24.74; coupon wouldnt work SM put in over ride codes.  i have another one but not sure what to pick up

Here's another YMMV but it happened for me... because the clerk did a manual override on the 50% coupon, it was still sitting in my active offers a couple days later. Check your active offers on the PUR site and if your coupon is still in there it could potentially be printed out and used again.

Anyone try it on a less than 20 dollar game?
Yes, on Wednesday night I was buying a $7, $9, and $25 game. Coupon didn't automatically discount any of them. Manager was ringing me up and discounted the $25 game manually without a peep. Took less than a minute.

So if the coupon requires an override... Then that means I can trade my copy of Ghosts PS4 for $40+ PUR, then use the coupons to grab two copies of PS4 games for half off... Obviously, it would have to be different Gamestops or a friendly one. What do you guys think?

Do Gamestop Powerup site update SOTW w/ new offers tonight or tomorrow.  I might consider picking up 1 or 2. the difficult part is should i pickup more than 1. 

I can confirm it is YMMV, but I got out of gamestop with NBA 2K14 PS4 for $26.xx after tax, then used my gs credit to only spend $10 out of pocket. It really depends on employee/manager of the store. 

I used my coupons a few days ago on Monster Hunter 3 and AC3 for Wii U.  Had to get an override.  Offers still active on my account!

edit: just returned from GS!  Ended up buying The Last Of Us and New Super Mario Bros. U with the SOTW coupons.  They did the over ride just fine.  They gave me TLOU with the steelbook case/survival edition code (which was redeemed already) and NSMBU had an unused CN code in it!  Each game was a little bit over $20.

I then used a birthday coupon and bought $25 worth of games under $10 as stocking stuffers!

Great trip!  Guy even shook my hand and said they try to be the best GS on island.  I go there all the time and appreciate that gamestop.

In response to sodapopinski, you can no longer use PUR points/coupons on gift cards of any nature. I wrote an article on that a while back.

In response to sodapopinski, you can no longer use PUR points/coupons on gift cards of any nature. I wrote an article on that a while back.
When did this go in effect? I thought those $ off coupons (ex: $5 off any GS purchase for 5000 points) were good on any item purchased in store?

I used the coupon on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate today. As others said, it just needed an override, but they did that no problem!

Huh....  So, even on the items under 20 bucks, it requires an override?  The girl at my Gamestop told me to ask for my points back.....  Unless the coupon gets fixed or patched like they did when people had problems with the "Bonus 50% coupon."

Checked the Power Up Rewards website and it seems like I can't access the coupon at the moment, and when I click on the link, it says something like "This isn't the Reward you're looking for."

I think this coupon is officially killed.  Or they're making way for the new Steal of the Week.

I was able to use this coupon three times on sat for a copy of for a5 ghosts and dead rising for x1. I even got two of them with the 20% coupon as well which came to $19 each.

Also when I was at another game stop I was asked if I wanted to donate a $1 to a local charity. The guy said I would get a 10% coupon in my PUR account that could be used the last week of Dec and first week of jan. He said the coupon may be stackable.

bread's done
Back