Pre-order Dragon's Crown ($50 PS3, $40 Vita), get a free 64-page artbook

Zonic505

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
If you pre-order Dragon's Crown from "participating stores" (most likely the ones listed on the pre-order page, such as Amazon, GameStop, etc.), you'll get a free 64-page artbook:

frys_01.png

walmart_01.png

dragons_crown.jpg

The book includes illustrations of the characters, environments, and commissions from artists Akira Yasuda (Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom), Kinu Nishimura (Code of Princess, Virtue’s Last Reward), and Gouda Cheese AKA BENGUS (Super Street Fighter II, Darkstalkers).

The game will be available August 10th. Important thing to note is that you can only play online with people who have it for the same system you do, so you can't go online with your Vita to play with PS3 owners & vice versa. However, you can still transfer your saves if you own both versions of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought two copies from Amazon, one for myself and the other for a friend. Only received one book. Darn.

Pre-ordered Monday, used FSSS but mine didn't ship until yesterday. At least I have Mario & Luigi: Dream Team for review to tide me over. 

Pre-ordered Monday, used FSSS but mine didn't ship until yesterday. At least I have Mario & Luigi: Dream Team for review to tide me over. 
wow . i preordered last monday, and it is still stuck in the shipping now phase.

yeah, next time i will remember to preorder from gamestop, if i want to play certain game on release week.
I ordered after it was released.....got it today, with art book and just got done playing 5 hours straight.... I'd contact amazon...,they will give you some reimbursement!

wow . i preordered last monday, and it is still stuck in the shipping now phase.
That's really not that uncommon. I believe it was the Last of Us guide that was stuck in Shipping Now for a couple of weeks. I remember cause I beat the game and got the guide in the mail the next day. I totally had a nerd rage moment!

Gamestop here in NJ has the game but not the artbook. The artbook actually is very nice, could have been better if it was hardcover but I'm happy with it as it is. I also like the non glossy pages they used. =)

For anyone waiting to see what's happening with Best Buy and their lack of art books, got a PM from Bill this morning saying that he hopes to be able to post their resolution sometime later today in the thread that's been linked to.  Given that he didn't actually say it was going to be the book, I don't have my hopes up, but you never know.  They've always done pretty well resolving their pre-order blunders for me in the past.

Received ps3 version with artbook from amazon yesterday.
About artbook
Good
- bigger than expected
- good contents (a little bit risque)

Bad
- soft cover (which I can ignore with the size of the book)
- poor paper quality. The paper they used is... just bad. I haven't seen this type of paper for quite long time. More like newspaper-ish paper (thicker than that obviously) colors are very muted. Well.

Bought two copies from Amazon, one for myself and the other for a friend. Only received one book. Darn.
I bought 2 ps3 and 2 vita and they all came with artbooks.. but they were preorders

also artbook no longer listed on the amazon page.

edit: nevermind it is I was looking at xillia for some reason I got confused

Since everyone is posting their opinions on the Art Book, I figured I would throw my hat in as well.

As is very common with smaller and cheaper art books, this contains primarily finished images that can already be found in the game. There are a few promotional pieces as well but that is about it. 

As an animator I LOVE to see the thought process behind a character. The best art books show you designs that CAN'T be found in the game anywhere. You can see how a character was created through it's various versions. Same goes with movements animations and environments.

I do still enjoy this book for what it is though as stated I would have like to see less images  from in game and more conceptual pieces.

Since everyone is posting their opinions on the Art Book, I figured I would throw my hat in as well.

As is very common with smaller and cheaper art books, this contains primarily finished images that can already be found in the game. There are a few promotional pieces as well but that is about it.

As an animator I LOVE to see the thought process behind a character. The best art books show you designs that CAN'T be found in the game anywhere. You can see how a character was created through it's various versions. Same goes with movements animations and environments.

I do still enjoy this book for what it is though as stated I would have like to see less images from in game and more conceptual pieces.
I hope you got the Xillia artbook. It has some of things you mentioned that you like.

I was one of the unfortunate people who ordered from newegg.com and lost out on the bonus artbook.

So if you were one of the unfortunate newegg purchasers, you can still do a refund (15% restocking fee does not apply as long as it was not opened yet) and place an order with Amazon today (if you really want the artbook). Be sure to go through newegg customer service to request the refund, you can't do it through the website. I used their live chat.

Newegg OK'ed your return?

I have horrible luck.

I contacted them via chat/phone/email but they wouldn't allow a return on the game (and yes, it is still new/sealed, Newegg would only exchange it for an identical one).

I've escalated this issue on to Google (Newegg is under the Google Trusted Stores program)

And if that doesn't work, I'll contact my credit card (AMEX has a return protection benefit).

Also, Atlus has removed the artbook info from the Dragon's Crown website

http://www.atlus.com/dragonscrown/purchase.html

Not sure if anyone needs this, but I made a screenshot of the page before Atlus updated it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5756492/Clipboard01.jpg

I hope you got the Xillia artbook. It has some of things you mentioned that you like.
I did not. I still haven't played Ni No Kuni so I couldn't justify picking up any version of Xillia.

I am by no means in NEED of that stuff haha. I have multiple shelves filled with art books from nearly every modern movie, game and vast amounts of collections of traditional artists.

I was just weighing in on what I think makes a good art book. And really though I am not a fan of most Anime inspired art books, they all tend to utilize the same looks and very rarely deviate from those to exhibit true creativity.

Beat half the story.
do monsters random show up.. it says RIDE some kind of beast and kill 10 monsters... the 2nd time i went intot that part i found a beast to ride and was able to kill 4 monsters before getting knocked off and it ran away... went back to that map 10 times and have yet to find another beast to ride?

ah ok thanks. It's a gamefly rental so I don't have a manual. Much appreciated

Btw I just finished the pirate quest, am I anywhere near the halfway mark?

That is the 6th stage out of 9 so you are getting close. Also you will know by going to the gate and the game will stop for a brief min and tell you. BTW I just capped my dwarf to 35 and finished normal. Now starting up my amazon, love these types of games :bouncy:

I can't beat the ancient dragon :( gahhh I've tried like 10 times and keep dying. AI sucks and I have good gear. Why can I co op but not with this boss fight!!

I can't beat the ancient dragon :( gahhh I've tried like 10 times and keep dying. AI sucks and I have good gear. Why can I co op but not with this boss fight!!
He is easy. xD Try power up potions / ice magic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mgC9wsnbE

do monsters random show up.. it says RIDE some kind of beast and kill 10 monsters... the 2nd time i went intot that part i found a beast to ride and was able to kill 4 monsters before getting knocked off and it ran away... went back to that map 10 times and have yet to find another beast to ride?
Must not get bitten by Alzheimer's patient...

Yep amazon delivered a few days ahead of schedule with free shipping. It was scheduled for monday and I got it today with the artbook. So 3 day shipping with free shipping. I've yet to have a single incident with amazon. They've only ever pleasantly surprised me with free returns or shipping it faster than expected.

So excited! Gonna play as the dwarf first.

lol, amazon is trolling me. As soon i called amazon about my dragons crown order status. the status on my order changed from "Shipping now" to "shipped" with a tracking # within seconds, while i was waiting to speak to amazon customer service representative.

lol, amazon is trolling me. As soon i called amazon about my dragons crown order status. the status on my order changed from "Shipping now" to "shipped" with a tracking # within seconds, while i was waiting to speak to amazon customer service representative.
My two copies (both versions) arrived just today, and I had preordered this months ago from Amazon. No complaints though, I used FSSS and am fine with waiting a few days. Plus they were well packaged in a box, each version shrinkwrapped on a piece of cardboard. They did use the glue to attach each version to its artbook, but the artbooks were fine and the Vita version just has two small slightly "melted" spots on the plastic game sleeve (not a huge deal and not worth getting upset about). Haven't opened the PS3 game itself but it looks to have the same style little melted spots on the outer cellophane.

Briefly checked out the Vita version and it looks great, looking forward to this game!

I have to say that I am quite pleased with GameStop right now.  Here is my story:

I ordered DC from NewEgg, expecting the Artbook.  I went with them b/c they were going to honor the $12 off coupon I used with my original pre-order from June 2012 (which they did process, btw.)  I got the game in the mail yesterday with NO artbook.  I was pretty annoyed and talked to NewEgg who said they didn't get any.  Anyway, today I went into GS and asked if they had any artbooks.  One guy said "yeah, it is right here" and a lady said "wait, I think that is (other employee name)'s."  Then they looked in the system to see all pre-orders were picked up. The guy then told me I could have it.  They never asked my name or if I wanted to buy the game or whatever.  So I thought that was pretty cool.

Short version: GS gave me an artbook b/c they had one left. Got the PS3 version and Artbook for $37.99!

here is a Bestbuy update:

As you all know, anyone that pre-ordered Dragon’s Crown from Best Buy for either PlayStation 3 or PS Vita was to receive an art book with their game. We unfortunately did not receive these books and I’m truly sorry for the disappointment this has caused. We have been working with the publisher and our appropriate teams since this was brought to our attention in the hopes of finding the best possible solution for affected customers. Since Bill’s last post on 8/7, we have made a lot of progress and are now expecting to get the art books that you all were expecting. We do still have some work to do to be able to get these books into your hands, but we will keep you updated as best we can along the way.

At this point, anyone that pre-ordered Dragon’s Crown from Best Buy should receive an email early next week. This email will outline the next steps in this process.

For anyone that beat the game already, is it true that each character playthrough is about 20hrs long?
fuck no.

While people say I am not the best source of what the "average" person can do (see my Velo comment below). The game is actually about 3 - 4 hours long. It's entirely possible to unlock multiplayer in an hour and a half and without a doubt possible to beat the remaining 9 stages and the end boss in another 2 (I did 1 cycle in 4:30 or so according to my trophies, so take that for what you will). Another 3 - 4 will probably be spent playing hard, since you DO need to level a little bit to actually beat the end boss again / get the talismans again. Another 3 - 5 hours will be spent beating infernal, which is the same story as before. At this point you're looking at 13 hours if you're playing my way or 18 hours if you're doing more. The additional 2 hours to make the "20 hour play though" is actually beating the quests. You might do a few / most of them along the way, but there are a lot of them that you need to take time out of your day to accomplish (like soloing the B route bosses).

Some personal stats...

• I beat the game as all 6 characters hitting at least level 24.
  • Beat the game on hard / infernal.
  • Unlocked every gallery item / did every quest.
  • Made it to floor 33 (not counting stages that didn't count because it doesn't keep track if you beat something higher than where you're) in the Lab of Chaos.
  • Got 1 character to level 99.
  • Cooked every single item in the game.

and more in roughly 89 hours. Would have been even faster if I could stand to kill the same bosses 20+ times in a row.

Thanks! Had the game since Wed but I keep telling myself I'm gonna beat/platinum Deadpool 1st before I start this game. Looks like Deadpool is going back in my backlog and Dragon's Crown is cutting in front of the line.

My two copies (both versions) arrived just today, and I had preordered this months ago from Amazon. No complaints though, I used FSSS and am fine with waiting a few days. Plus they were well packaged in a box, each version shrinkwrapped on a piece of cardboard. They did use the glue to attach each version to its artbook, but the artbooks were fine and the Vita version just has two small slightly "melted" spots on the plastic game sleeve (not a huge deal and not worth getting upset about). Haven't opened the PS3 game itself but it looks to have the same style little melted spots on the outer cellophane.

Briefly checked out the Vita version and it looks great, looking forward to this game!
Maybe for you. I keep my collection in pristine condition, and seeing that melted plastic sleeve ticked me off pretty bad, but whatever. I'll hopefully stumble upon a clearance vita game down the line at Kmart to fix this. Just bugs me right now.

bread's done
Back