Primetime - 1 vs. 100 - US Beta Going On Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='strongpimphand']To me, it's entertaining how the brain typically always gets it wrong somehow.....and costs the "one" their winnings![/QUOTE]

Given the way people play the brain is almost always someone guessing randomly and going for the speed bonus who has just happened to be right thusfar; taking that help is akin to guessing randomly. In the very best case they're actually trying but facing the same (hopefully) difficult question you are.

Frisky, were you playing since the very beginning of the live show tonight? (I'm still headset-less.)

I posted this on xbox.com about what Cashman said in the very, very first round:

"Did I hear correctly when he read the email from the person that said he had been in the mob twice and had beaten the One both times and was wondering about his prizes?

Since they only started giving out prizes last night, I figured I'd point that out. "

[quote name='evilmojo12542']am to the point where I am giving up playing myself. i played again last night and like others i still question how the hell the mob and the one is so damn stupid if is based on speed and accuracy. as someone else stated also only 1 took 3k points everyone else went for it? in the last 4 weeks there have ben loads of people take it for nothing now all the sudden when it counts they don't. i have piled up well over 3 million life time points, 65% correct and most time about a 1 second answer. guess i am not smart enough or should i say dumb enough to get in[/QUOTE]
Your chances of getting in are reset every week, so it doesn't matter what your total score or overall percentage are when it comes to being picked.

[quote name='strongpimphand']that's quite lame then....the game needs to be much more clear to it to be successful to me because there were times when I thought I won when i didn't win....

to be in the 100 when there are like....50k people playing....just seems impossible.[/QUOTE]
That's basically it. Anybody that's posting here has a small chance of getting picked regardless of whatever stats they can quote about how good they are. It's still pretty much random as to who is picked for each game. If they showed everyone what their chances are in the profile, that would probably help out a lot, but otherwise, your chances might as well be zero.

No, Plume. I got on about quarter till 9. I remember Chris talking about a question like that, where a guy asked if prizes were being sent out yet since he hadn't gotten a message yet.

Yeah, there was a similar question later, Frisky - you probably heard that one.

I just blew that fashion question because I was typing this! Heh.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd guess that what really increases your odds of being picked is face paint and ridiculous facial features on your avatar.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Button mashing must be the way to go. "How many legs a spider has" took down that many people...?

I'm glad they finally went for another round with about 15 minutes left to go, but they always end the show in an odd, abrupt way that never really leaves me all that satisfied.

Wow.... "Crowds Revenge!"???!? PM Hammering if chosen to be the one?! WTF!?!? I am hoping MS is starting to see that high rate of PM's towards a chosen One and offer to block PM's during his time as the one. Seems pretty lame to me as the crowd is like "well if I am not the one than NO ONE CAN BE THE ONE!!"...fucktards!

If you switch your status to 'Busy', doesn't it block notifications?

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Well, so far, I was the closest I have ever been to the top ten: 2 points away.[/QUOTE]

I was actually first for a few questions in the video game round on Monday night, but then I had to use a skip to preserve my streak when I hit the wrong button accidentally. :bomb:

Other than that, I've cracked the top ten a few times, but usually can't hold onto it as the questions begin to get harder.

Also, I added you as a friend. I can't believe I forgot to do that. :)

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']I made a post on Xbox.com about a potential tactic I called "leeching" that I hope gets fixed in the final version.

http://forums.xbox.com/28081179/ShowPost.aspx[/QUOTE]

There are a few ways to fix it, like not showing you when the other people in your group lock their answers in, or by adding a delay when they do.

[quote name='Magus8472']Given the way people play the brain is almost always someone guessing randomly and going for the speed bonus who has just happened to be right thusfar; taking that help is akin to guessing randomly. In the very best case they're actually trying but facing the same (hopefully) difficult question you are.[/QUOTE]

The Brain sucks early on, but it's worth a shot later on.

Guessing randomly means you have a 1/3 chance of getting it right, and the odds of getting every question right by guessing decay exponentially - the odds of getting five right by guessing, for example, are (1/3)^5, or 1/243, or about 0.4%.

The Brain is probably more helpful in the later questions, but then you've got to balance that against the increased difficulty of the questions.

[quote name='pacemakerguy']the videogame round was the best thing they had in awhile better do it again or make it a weekly thing now[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I did appreciate that the questions covered Nintendo and Sony titles, too. I remember seeing questions about Jak and Daxter, Pikmin, and Infamous over the course of the night (although I did start playing before that round began), and nothing about Halo, Mass Effect, or anything that was Microsoft exclusive. Hooray for equality! :)

The "In the News" was pretty good, at first I was expecting to see just a bunch of current events, politics, world news, which there was a good portion. But there was some pop culture as well. Of course, no one else in my party knew who Sacha Cohen was -_-

I've managed to get into one game but never finished it because the connection timed out. I've never had problems playing Gears, Burnout, or anything else. Should I do something to increase my odds of finishing at least one round?

I know it's a beta but it seems like everyone else in this thread is getting many games in. Just looking for suggestions so I can join in on the fun, dude. Thanks for the help.

That is a bit odd, I've had occassions where I havent been able to get into the game, but once Im in I'm able to finish the game.

[quote name='Link927']The "In the News" was pretty good, at first I was expecting to see just a bunch of current events, politics, world news, which there was a good portion. But there was some pop culture as well. Of course, no one else in my party knew who Sacha Cohen was -_-[/QUOTE]

That's good.

I tried "In the News" over the weekend, and that time around the questions were mostly pop culture garbage. I don't know who David Arquette is launching a clothing line with
(apparently, Ben Harper)
, and I really don't care.

[quote name='depascal22']I know it's a beta but it seems like everyone else in this thread is getting many games in. Just looking for suggestions so I can join in on the fun, dude. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
There's been many times where I've been kicked out or muted for a period of time....it's just heavily buggy

Best advice - try your hardest...because the shit got so much more work to be done on that it's not funny

They're giving away Braid in tonight's live show, so you might want to check it out if you don't have that yet.

I'm going to change my avatar's look before the show starts to increase my odds of getting in the mob.

I did my best last night - I was #6 in the round where The One lost by not locking in an answer to a question.

No prizes, though. No mob invite, either. :whistle2:(

[quote name='nnthomas']yawn, sports questions. could we go any more irrelvant.[/QUOTE]

Nice job. Don't break the gamer stereotype or anything...

By the way, how's your mom's basement?

:roll:

[quote name='xAMWxLightsOuT']sorry to ask but how many posts dou need to get off cog newbie[/QUOTE]

What the fuck is a cog newbie?

Anyway, good news: you're only a few posts away from getting on my ignore list! :D

[quote name='xAMWxLightsOuT']come on anybody[/QUOTE]
What the fuck is wrong with you?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']What the fuck is a cog newbie?

Anyway, good news: you're only a few posts away from getting on my ignore list! :D[/QUOTE]
Can you put me on your ignore list? Pretty please? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Nice job. Don't break the gamer stereotype or anything...

By the way, how's your mom's basement?

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Just sittin pretty, doin my thing

[quote name='Gamer SDP']haven't played for a few weeks.

I remember some of the worst "The Ones".

One guy used all 3 helps. He got out on the third question.

Another used the "Trust the Brain" help on the first question and got it wrong.

Another guy didn't answer the first question and lost (might have actually been away when picked though).

Same as above but happened when a break was over. The One should have known better.

Several Ones got the first question wrong when they should have at least used a help.[/QUOTE]

Last Saturday The One failed to answer a question, and was eliminated. The gamertag later posted on the xbox forums what had actually happened.

The first three questions, if the game does not register the player ringing in an answer, then it automatically chooses a help at random. After the first three questions, it will just report that the one failed to answer.

The one in this case started getting messages, friends requests and other xbox live email to the point that it slowed the game so much that it would not register his responses in time.

Basically he was spammed by other xbox users into losing. This has also been reported by several other players who were selected as The One.

Sometimes people suck.......:twoguns:

picture.php

:D

This is from Tuesday night, the 10PM session. I didn't hold first for the entire game (how am I supposed to remember the movie "Bugsy" when I was five when it came out?), but finished in the top ten - still not bad, in my eyes.

I also managed to hold first for a little while during the first video game session, but wasn't fast enough to get a picture since I was knocked off my perch before we hit the commercial break.

I decided to join a Live game during the last 30 min or so and got all the questions given to the one correct until he took the money. Next game in, I got in the mob for the first time!

Unfortunately I got the same answer the one got wrong so didn't get any prize :(

[quote name='Jbently']I decided to join a Live game during the last 30 min or so and got all the questions given to the one correct until he took the money. Next game in, I got in the mob for the first time![/QUOTE]

Not fair - I've been playing a few times a week and have done most of the live games for the past month (starting with the week before they began giving away prizes), and haven't made the mob yet. :whistle2:s

At this point, the fun I've been having is less from the game itself and more who I play with. I've been playing with one of my friends from high school and, for the past few sessions, PlumeNoir. Sending messages back and forth and (occasionally) making fun of each other or ourselves for stupid answers makes the game more enjoyable.

I've come close to prizes a few times. I was in the top ten for a while on Friday's session, and on Saturday I was ~29 points out from third place, although not high enough to crack the top ten that round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back