Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

I enjoyed Impact last night.  Main event was good with EC3/Hardy - clean match with no run ins.  Also enjoyed the Mike Bennett debut, I think TNA can get him over like EC3.  He cut a really good promo, also looking forward to Beer Money getting back together.  Beer Money vs. Wolves would be money.

No cable, therefore no Pop TV. I thought about going to their show on Friday b/c tickets are hella cheap and Bethlehem is an easy enough drive, however I'm gonna go see Ruby the Hatchet instead.

WWE also retweeted a Finn Balor tweet of a photo of Bullet Club. I love how they're stringing us along, even if this doesn't come to fruition.

Also: Finn Balor's instagram is killing it the last day or so. Last photo is of him at WWE PC, in a Bullet Club shirt, checking his watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
No cable, therefore no Pop TV. I thought about going to their show on Friday b/c tickets are hella cheap and Bethlehem is an easy enough drive, however I'm gonna go see Ruby the Hatchet instead.

WWE also retweeted a Finn Balor tweet of a photo of Bullet Club. I love how they're stringing us along, even if this doesn't come to fruition.

Also: Finn Balor's instagram is killing it the last day or so. Last photo is of him at WWE PC, in a Bullet Club shirt, checking his watch.
I found a pretty decent stream on wreddit to watch Impact. I also have been enjoying the trolling by Finn Balor the last few days, it's great.

Between that story on their website and them tweeting this out, I swear WWE has become their own dirtsheet.
The way they have been hyping up the Bullet Club I wouldn't be shocked if they have come to some agreement regarding the rights to the Bullet Club name with NJPW. Similar to the NWO in the 90's being a part of both WCW and NJPW. I really don't like the idea of a stable called Balor Club, it's cool for a t-shirt and just for Finn himself, but to have a whole stable of guys called the Balor Club sound like they are all card carrying members of Finn's personal fan club and not a bad ass wrestling stable. WWE is definitely well aware of how well Bullet Club merch sells currently too.

I wondered that, but also wonder how much "Bullet Club" is likely to fly as a name in PG WWE.
Eh, I don't think the name would be any issue. Dean Ambrose does that gun finger taunt and the name doesn't strike me a something that isn't PG. When it comes to the PG stuff I feel like WWE is more concerned about what the advertisers would think or if kids will try to replicate (I.E. The Curb Stomp finisher). Definitely exciting start to the year though, can't wait for the Rumble this year.

That's really unfortunate. As much as I was totally one of the dudes who panned him for years, his 2015 impressed me so much. I was excited to see him come back. Hope he comes back as well as he can.

It seems that shoulder surgery usually means 6-9 months minimum. Unless he gets Jesus Christ to come back to heal him, I think there's no way he's making it to Wrestlemania 32. He'd be lucky to make it to SummerSlam. I am also not a huge Cena fan, but he's definitely improved greatly over the years as a wrestler and he had a hell of a year in 2015. I honestly like Cena better when he's not holding the World Championship and not overcoming all the odds when he's always the odds on favorite.

I suspect that 39 year old John Cena will be more part-time than an every show type of guy when he returns. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

...or watch him come back to a huge ovation from everyone including the smarks and then go heel. Just to screw with us all. 

I was thinking yesterday about the last time I was really surprised by who won the Rumble, and it was definitely Cena at MSG in 2008. He was supposedly still out for a few more months at that point, and then his music hit. I was already way sick of him by then, but even I popped when I heard Rapadoo.

Might be for the best. Myke was not alone in being impressed with Cena in 2015. I think he won many fans over by putting over so much young talent this year(and putting on some great matches besides). By the time he comes back form injury he will have been out for almost a year! I think taking that good will and the time off the injury provides and he can come back with fans feeling a lot different about Cenas next run. Its good timing too because he is starting to age and this provides him at least one more run on top and in a way where fans do not feel quite so force fed.

On a personal level it also lets him and Nikki Bella see how they can function with each other off the road.

The Cena theory sounds plausible.  Remember back when HHH was out for a long period when people were sick to death of him going over everybody to the point of making them look unnecessarily weak.  The pop for his return was unbelievable.

I swear no matter how you slice it, this is a very interesting time to be a wrestling fan. WWE can really sink or swim based on the decisions they make in the next 3 months.

The Cena theory sounds plausible. Remember back when HHH was out for a long period when people were sick to death of him going over everybody to the point of making them look unnecessarily weak. The pop for his return was unbelievable.
Wasn't it kind of the other way around? Triple H had just dropped the Intercontinental title to Kane and was injured in losing the tag belts on Raw. When he came back, he was bulky and couldn't work at the same level he did before, and (following a few months as a face) he started beating lots of babyfaces cleanly.

While Triple H did beat just about everybody in his main event singles run from August 1999 up through his May 2001 quad tear, he usually had to cheat a lot to win. He also lost quite a few matches when the title was not on the line.

Oh, I could easily be wrong about it.  The return that (I think) I'm thinking of was at MSG (maybe?) and I thought he had been a heel at the time of that injury (quad tear, I believe).  I'm thinking it was in a tag match against Jericho and Benoit for some reason.  Again, I could be Samsoniting this whole thing, i.e., I could be way off.

Definitely sucks that Cena is joining the stacked injury list, but this will give WWE more reasons to get younger and fresher talent onto the Wrestlemania card. Shinsuke Nakamura also confirmed that he is WWE bound via Tokyo Sports, of course WWE have yet to confirm anything, but it's all but set in stone at this point that these guys are coming over. I'd personally love to see Nakamura and Styles go at it again at Wrestlemania, the match at WK10 was incredible and having the rematch at Wrestlemania would be huge, especially if WWE could secure some footage from NJPW for the build up. It looked like Cena was going to face Taker at Mania this year too, I wonder who will face Taker now?

I swear no matter how you slice it, this is a very interesting time to be a wrestling fan. WWE can really sink or swim based on the decisions they make in the next 3 months.
No offense here, but WWE has a long way to go before they sink. They'll either swim or float along in place until their roster is back to near full strength.

Oh, I could easily be wrong about it. The return that (I think) I'm thinking of was at MSG (maybe?) and I thought he had been a heel at the time of that injury (quad tear, I believe). I'm thinking it was in a tag match against Jericho and Benoit for some reason. Again, I could be Samsoniting this whole thing, i.e., I could be way off.
Nah, you got every bit of that right. I just remember others (and myself, afted being a huge fan of Triple H pre-injury) getting sick of him working shitty matches after his MSG return and later burying all the WCW guys. But it's all subjective.

Quick question: Am I the only one experiencing visual distortions during every episode of Breaking Ground? I dont even know how to explain it, but there are at least a dozen instances per episode where things look funky. Nothing else on the WWE Network displays that way for me.

No offense here, but WWE has a long way to go before they sink. They'll either swim or float along in place until their roster is back to near full strength.
Well I meant more as far as getting ratings and PPV buyrates back to a good place. They've been languishing in the 2.0-3.0 zone for awhile now, so doing something new and fresh could win back some lost viewers and maybe bring in some new ones.

Do people really still pay 50 friggin bucks for a wrestling ppv these days? Who are these idiots and why isn't someone slapping them upside the head with 999 balloons?

PPV is definitely dead. It's all about streaming now and ratings are hard to gauge too since so many people watch things on DVR or on streaming services like Hulu. We will never see WWE hit the ratings they had in the late 90's those days are just long gone now.

"money's worth" sounds like pro wrestling spin to me.

Seeing Rousey get knocked out was likely very very satisfying as short at it was. I can't speak for the Connor McGregor fight.

Volume ≠ quality, though wrestling wants you to think otherwise.

"money's worth" sounds like pro wrestling spin to me.

Seeing Rousey get knocked out was likely very very satisfying as short at it was. I can't speak for the Connor McGregor fight.

Volume ≠ quality, though wrestling wants you to think otherwise.
I don't think wrestling PPVs are worth that price either, but you usually know what you're going to get. With UFC (which I have watched for a decade) you very often see both disappointingly short fights as well as bouts which go to a 3 round decision in incredibly boring fashion. You might get lucky and see a 15-minute classic once in a while. But between those occurences and the fact that there's a massive amount of downtime between fights, I just don't get why people pay for so many UFC events.

I've been to some pretty bro-tesque beer-and-wing places that will charge you $20 at the door to watch UFC.

If nothing else, they have that "worst of mankind concentrated between four walls" sociological quality that you otherwise only find in churches and stripclubs, so the people watching is fuckin' top shelf even if the fights stink.

Awww, goddammit. She was supposed to ride out of WM as the new Divas Champion, and dump that motherfucker in the trash for a Women's Championship!

(I mean, if I were booking...)

Well, here's the question on that (I know my opinion on it, but I also know my own political/social views):

Do you present this transition from a babyface woman or a heel?

Do you try to present women as equal/capable/competent and therefore put a positive spin on it?

Or do you try to use "feminism" as a heel trait to get someone over that way and change the title at the same time?

Well, here's the question on that (I know my opinion on it, but I also know my own political/social views):

Do you present this transition from a babyface woman or a heel?

Do you try to present women as equal/capable/competent and therefore put a positive spin on it?

Or do you try to use "feminism" as a heel trait to get someone over that way and change the title at the same time?
If I had to pick a side I would say feminist babyface. The WWE has such a bad track record on minority/womens issues, they neeed the win.

I do not think though that they need to choose. Sasha is the first person in awhile that strikes me as having enough charisma to pull off something like Rock did. Even when he was a heel he was damn impossible for most people to not like. He balanced being a heel and a babyface and just felt like an entertainer, he felt like ego personified. Sasha again strikes me as having that perfect raw egotistical character that even though she is supposed to be a heel, will still come off with a lot of baby face. I think if they gave her the right storyline and let her character just be about ego for egos sake she could ride that line making the issue moot. Maybe I have too much faith in her though, to be fair I have only seen limited amounts of her in NXT. She just is the first person in awhile that strikes me as being the total package(and thats including the mens division).

Every single person who left Wrestlemania as champion is currently out with an injury. Bonkers.

This is the WWE way, but I feel like it never works, and it just gets the supposed "heel" over.

I haven't seen anything official about Sasha Banks yet... There was a rumor a couple of months ago about her being injured that turned out to be false. Hopefully that's the case here too.

This is the WWE way
I suppose that's why I asked it at all. The idea of using feminism as a tool to get a crowd infuriated is great if you're Rush Limbaugh (side note: I'm pretty convinced that most political talking heads spend more time studying Bobby Heenan than political minds). It's also typical if you're WWE. But it's 2015, the days of stereotypes should be done by now.

I may or may not buy this print... I still need New Day Socks.

W10668.jpg

http://shop.wwe.com/New-Day-11-x-14-Art-Print/W10668,default,pd.html

I've been to some pretty bro-tesque beer-and-wing places that will charge you $20 at the door to watch UFC.

If nothing else, they have that "worst of mankind concentrated between four walls" sociological quality that you otherwise only find in churches and stripclubs, so the people watching is fuckin' top shelf even if the fights stink.
I used to work at a bro-tesque beer and wings place that showed UFC fights. Those would be the worst nights every single time, so many dude-bros that would sit at a table for hours on end and order virtually nothing (they only had to order something to stay for the fight) and the tip that was left after taking up a table for 3-4 hours was usually, if lucky, an average of $1.25 per hour. No longer in the service industry, but I feel for those that still are and have to put up with just the worst people imaginable for little to no money.

Guys, you gotta see the AJ Styles turn/sendoff from NJPW New Year's Dash. First, Kenny Omega is *great* in his role. His "you're fired" promo is so much better delivered than the overdone, over the top McMahon "YOOOOOR FAHHHHHRRRED" bit, and it somehow makes sense from Omega's perspective but is still delivered solidly as a heel. 

People think Gallows/Gun when they think Bullet Club, but they're just hillbillies who say "fuck" a lot (not judging, as I live in that glass house a bit). Omega is so good as a wrestler and stick guy, holy cow. He's been in Japan fulltime for a few years now, so it's easy to forget how good he is.

Second, AJ Styles' depth of bowing at the end after he recovered was definitely a "goodbye" sort.

But a great segment.

Guys, you gotta see the AJ Styles turn/sendoff from NJPW New Year's Dash. First, Kenny Omega is *great* in his role. His "you're fired" promo is so much better delivered than the overdone, over the top McMahon "YOOOOOR FAHHHHHRRRED" bit, and it somehow makes sense from Omega's perspective but is still delivered solidly as a heel.

People think Gallows/Gun when they think Bullet Club, but they're just hillbillies who say "fuck" a lot (not judging, as I live in that glass house a bit). Omega is so good as a wrestler and stick guy, holy cow. He's been in Japan fulltime for a few years now, so it's easy to forget how good he is.

Second, AJ Styles' depth of bowing at the end after he recovered was definitely a "goodbye" sort.

But a great segment.
Just glad to hear he was sent off properly. TNA really pissed me off with the way they treated AJ in his last month or two. It was not as disgusting as the way they treated Christian when he returned to WWE but given AJ built TNA it was really a fucked way to handle his leaving.

bread's done
Back