PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
You also forgot one of the biggest as well with Sega and them doing extremely well with the Sega Genesis. Then they got experimental with the Sega CD, which I don't think did amazing. Companies approached them and wanted to collaborate (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft), and the management keep saying no to them and we got this. Then came the flops of the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast (this was a great system though IMHO....just not good timing) and Sega leaving the console market.

You also forgot one of the biggest as well with Sega and them doing extremely well with the Sega Genesis. Then they got experimental with the Sega CD, which I don't think did amazing. Companies approached them and wanted to collaborate (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft), and the management keep saying no to them and we got this. Then came the flops of the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast (this was a great system though IMHO....just not good timing) and Sega leaving the console market.
Yeah, I personally never include SEGA, because even though the Genesis did rather well, they have never really been a dominant force at any given time, only to make poor choices based on that position & ego(or a big head). While the Genesis was great competition to the SNES, I don't believe they ever had the #1 spot, and if they ever did, it wasn't for very long.

I completely agree they had some serious bone head plays over the years(Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, etc), all those things where ways they tried to compete and get a leg up. None of it came from "we're #1, and we can't lose", more like, we want to be #1, maybe this will get us there.

MS is also kind of unique, as they have unlimited funds, so they can pretty much do anything, anytime, so they could technically be on my list, but not really for the same reasons as the others. They may have BHS, but that comes from other parts of their business, and not really anything they have achieved specifically in gaming. But I'm sure some could argue those facts.

What are the best "Non Limited Run" Vita games that run on PS TV?  I've never owned a Vita but I did play P4G on PS TV and am looking for other recommendations!

What are the best "Non Limited Run" Vita games that run on PS TV? I've never owned a Vita but I did play P4G on PS TV and am looking for other recommendations!
The Muramasa remaster is great, as is the Odin Sphere remaster (though that's also on PS4). Both of those work fine on PSTV.

What are the best "Non Limited Run" Vita games that run on PS TV? I've never owned a Vita but I did play P4G on PS TV and am looking for other recommendations!
I recently found my PSTV again and have been playing the following:
Spelunky (my go-to game on any system)
Neon Chrome (second favorite on PSTV)
Neko-buro Cats (isometric match 3 puzzle game)
Geometry Wars 3 (twin stick shooter)
Sayonara Umihara Kawase (platformer)
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (platformer)
Curses N Chaos (single screen score chaser)
Towerfall Ascension (better with multiplayer)
Borderlands 2 (first person shooter, huge file)
Nidhogg (better with multiplayer)

I also have the following games installed:
Amnesia: Memories (visual novel)
Magical Beat (rhythm game)
Monster Monpiece (card RPG)
Sorcery Saga (RPG)
Criminal Girls 2 (RPG)
La-Mulana Ex (platformer)
Freedom Wars (Monster Hunter clone)
Blanc VS Zombies (RPG)
WRC 5 (racing)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (racing)

All of these are digital games. Each of them is highly rated. And Amnesia: Memories, Criminal Girls 2, Neon Chrome and Nidhogg are still on sale through Tuesday, 8/28 to my knowledge.

Can anyone see why my PS4 collected dust this week? :)

There is a thread on reddit about this, apperently some people where having issues with getting a refund but it looks like they might have fixed the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vita/comments/994p3q/psa_for_backers_of_bloodstained/?st=jl5j57bx&sh=84149fdd

The conspiracy theorist in my wonders if they even ever had the plan to release this on Vita at all. Someone once mentioned that the game was being worked on Unreal Engine 4 which is a problem since Vita is not compatible with it.
There was quite a lot of optimistic talk, bragging even, from Iga himself about their custom modification of the Unreal 4 Engine to run on the Vita in the early days of this games development.

Yes they can, and hashing those opinions out, elaborating and analyzing them, makes for an intriguing conversation. I enjoy reading your opinions, and your reasoning behind them, even if I don't agree with them. I heartily encourage you to continue.

This concerns me as well. I was very pleased with Sony's strategy going into the current console cycle. But that strategy was shaped by the humbling they endured over the mismanagement of the PS3's design. At that point they were in a comparable position to the one Microsoft finds themselves in now. And some of Sony's recent choices have indeed smacked of that old arrogance and complacency, once again rearing its head.

There's no need for Sony to include an UHD drive in any PS4 model. The format is a fringe outlier, and won't ever catch on as much as DVD or regular Blu-Ray have. Every day that on-line streaming becomes more common and accessible, the less significant that a legacy physical format becomes. Microsoft's inclusion of UHD in the Xbox One S was a fine gesture, but it didn't actually help dig themselves out of the hole they had made for themselves.

The recent Fortnite debacle is another matter, and quite indicative of a complacency that Sony should be avoiding. This is part of the reason why I think Sony should push for backwards compatibility on any and all of their hardware platforms. (but certainly most prominently on their current best-selling PS4) That would be a solid make-good for consumers, the historical legacy of video games, and wouldn't be much of a financial risk. It's a relatively easy way for them to improve their image and draw in more fans.
Streaming still isn't a viable option for mass market outside of metropolitan areas. I spent most of last week in southeast Georgia and the best internet available in the area I was in was really overpriced DSL. One of my relatives in the area has the DSL service and the response time of the internet was abysmal. Additionally found out that they can't stream NetFlix in HD because it will lag out, and if they are streaming 480p NetFlix they can't do much of anything else on their computer or (tablets even) or it might disrupt and cause the NetFlix video to start lagging. And cellular service in that area was super spotty at best, as in ranging from non-existent to just one bar of signal strength. I do realize that the majority of the population is fortunate enough to live in urban and developed areas where cable, fiber, and Wi-Max ISPs are offered, but the reality is that at least half of the continental land mass of the U.S.A. is still effectively land without affordable or viable broadband internet options.

Hughes Net (AT&T owned) satellite internet is possible to have just about anywhere, but the cost is quite unreasonable and service drops out on cloudy days. And even when a satellite ISP connection is working, there is quite a lot of latency, to the point you will not be doing any multi-player online-gaming. Can you download games, patches, and participate in the likes of XBL and PSN over such a connection? Certainly one can, but if you can't reap the full benefit of the online gaming services, how likely would you be to buy that service or even those consoles using them to begin with?

Streaming still isn't a viable option for mass market outside of metropolitan areas. I spent most of last week in southeast Georgia and the best internet available in the area I was in was really overpriced DSL. One of my relatives in the area has the DSL service and the response time of the internet was abysmal. Additionally found out that they can't stream NetFlix in HD because it will lag out, and if they are streaming 480p NetFlix they can't do much of anything else on their computer or (tablets even) or it might disrupt and cause the NetFlix video to start lagging. And cellular service in that area was super spotty at best, as in ranging from non-existent to just one bar of signal strength. I do realize that the majority of the population is fortunate enough to live in urban and developed areas where cable, fiber, and Wi-Max ISPs are offered, but the reality is that at least half of the continental land mass of the U.S.A. is still effectively land without affordable or viable broadband internet options.

Hughes Net (AT&T owned) satellite internet is possible to have just about anywhere, but the cost is quite unreasonable and service drops out on cloudy days. And even when a satellite ISP connection is working, there is quite a lot of latency, to the point you will not be doing any multi-player online-gaming. Can you download games, patches, and participate in the likes of XBL and PSN over such a connection? Certainly one can, but if you can't reap the full benefit of the online gaming services, how likely would you be to buy that service or even those consoles using them to begin with?
Not that I think you were considering it a reasonable option, but I wanted to provide some first-hand experience of just how unreasonable HughesNet is. My parents got it a few years ago (they live in rural Missouri), and it was capped at 500 MB a month. That's like one SD move on Netflix. After that, speeds fell to dial-up era, and it was something like $100/month. They didn't read the fine print, so they were stuck with it for the contract period (six months I think?), after that point they told them to shove off. The service is a scam and a half.

Streaming still isn't a viable option for mass market outside of metropolitan areas.
I'm not saying you're wrong. You are, in fact, correct. On-line infrastructure in the U.S. does not have universal coverage.

But let's all step back and take a hard, cynical look at this equation. Will that really stop companies like Sony, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc... from pursuing a streaming gaming solution? Do you honestly think they care about reaching everyone, right now. Sure, they'd like to reach everyone immediately. But if the math works out, they would happily settle for a majority of the population, and just worry about drawing in the rest when the infrastructure improves and expands.

And, of course, that's all just looking at the U.S. Which is NOT the only market these days. Japan is a foregone conclusion. Sony could implement a streaming service there today. Their diminutive landmass works to their advantage in this case. And Europe would also probably be a relatively easy sell. The U.S. would still be the biggest individual market, but the current state of the industry wouldn't prevent Sony from rolling out and testing such a service here, even if they didn't make it their primary initiative.

Early adopters for expensive systems tend to be from urban areas to begin with. Rural support usually comes at the tail end of console cycles, when the prices have come down. Sony already has an answer for that. It's called the PS4. Limited internet coverage will not stop them from pushing a streaming solution.

Not gonna lie, this has been a super disappointing month due to multiple game cancellations. Bloodstained was the absolute worst cancellation I feel by far as many of us truly believed in Iga-san as a game creator and programmer, and thus believed in his ability to deliver a finished game. The rest were all Sekai Project titles that were announced way back in 2016 as coming in 2017 through publishing partnership with LRG, but I think deep down we always knew Sekai Project was full of absolute bullshit and utter incompetence. As disappointing as it was to lose six games from them, it was totally expected. In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb right now and make a prediction that we'll never get Rabi-Ribi, which is presently the only announced Sekai Project Vita game title that LRG claims isn't cancelled. Recall the Euro R2 version was going to be published by PQube last 4th Quarter and that mysteriously fell through, just as the R1 version from LRG has been mysteriously pushed back thrice now without any explanation and now no date being offered at all this time for a expected sale date.

Casualties of September Cancellations:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Fault: Milestone One

Narcissu: 10th Anniversary Anthology

The Emerald Tablet

World End Economica: Episode 1

World End Economica: Episode 2

World End Economica: Episode 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS Vita Region 1 Physical Game Directory and Checklists, and Regions 2, 3, and 4 Checklists:
http://www.tweeg.psoarchive.com/collect

Announced & Upcoming Vita Physical Releases for Region 1:
Listed alphabetically by year and quarter with release date after game title.

- 2018 -
- 3rd Quarter
Salt & Sanctuary (9/7)
Punch Line (9/25)
Iconoclasts (3rd Quarter)
Sharin no Kuni ~The Girl Among the Sunflowers~ (3rd Quarter)
- 4th Quarter
Death Mark (10/31)

Rabi-Ribi (TBA... or maybe never)

Shakedown Hawaii (TBA)

- 2019 -
- 1st Quarter
The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition (TBA)

- Release Dates Not Yet Announced
Code: Realize ~Wintertide Miracles~ (TBA)

Defender's Quest (TBA)
Dragon Fantasy: Book 1: The Volumes of Westeria (TBA)
Forma.8 (TBA)
Mercenary Kings (TBA)
Nuclear Throne (TBA)
Runner 3 (TBA)
Siralim 2 (TBA)
Spelunky (TBA)
YIIK: A Postmodern RPG (TBA)

Yeah, my issues with Bloodstained not making it has more to do with the time it's taken, than anything else. I always knew if a version was going to be cut, it was going to be the Vita. I only ever thought it wouldn't happen for the exact reasons it did(cart production), as the Vita game seem one of the more desired options early on.

I knew 2017 wasn't going to happen, but for a game like this, there is NO REASON why it shouldn't have made it in 2018, and that's where I felt the most burned in this situation. I always planned to switch this over to the NS if the Vita failed, but once the reason was given, and I thought about it more, I said  fuck that, give me my funds back. 

Well, on a side note, my Flinthook(NS) & Siralim from early May finally arrived yesterday. I've never been bothered with the shipping delays, as even though I always have open orders, I was always getting new orders pretty much in the same time frame I was making new ones. So progress could always be seen in regards to old stuff arriving as new orders are being placed. I always knew this order was going to be delayed because of the NS title, so I try my best to separate orders by systems now, but the Vita production seems to be as long as the NS at this point.

I'm not entirely convinced we're going to end up getting Sharin no Kuni either. The updates have been pretty sparse and vague. Their last update mentioned that it definitely wouldn't be before October 2018, but didn't provide a new date.

The Sekai Project stuff is also disappointing, but not really surprising. Just going to avoid the company from here. They've promised a lot of console games, but they haven't put any out in the west. Between their 20+ in-progress games and ports that may or may not ever release, I'll expect the worst and hope for the best.

Yeah, my issues with Bloodstained not making it has more to do with the time it's taken, than anything else. I always knew if a version was going to be cut, it was going to be the Vita. I only ever thought it wouldn't happen for the exact reasons it did(cart production), as the Vita game seem one of the more desired options early on.

I knew 2017 wasn't going to happen, but for a game like this, there is NO REASON why it shouldn't have made it in 2018, and that's where I felt the most burned in this situation. I always planned to switch this over to the NS if the Vita failed, but once the reason was given, and I thought about it more, I said fuck that, give me my funds back.

Well, on a side note, my Flinthook(NS) & Siralim from early May finally arrived yesterday. I've never been bothered with the shipping delays, as even though I always have open orders, I was always getting new orders pretty much in the same time frame I was making new ones. So progress could always be seen in regards to old stuff arriving as new orders are being placed. I always knew this order was going to be delayed because of the NS title, so I try my best to separate orders by systems now, but the Vita production seems to be as long as the NS at this point.
Yep. My understanding is that Sony is the holdup now - they mentioned they won't be able to even submit the orders for one of their Vita games (I think it was VA11-HA11-A?) until September due to restrictions placed by Sony. They didn't elaborate, but it almost seems like Sony is throttling them. I wonder if it's only because of prime manufacturing season or if it's a capacity issue with Vita carts?

For what it's worth, though, I got my first shipping confirmation in about a month late last week for Hue. Good to see that things are still moving, albeit slowly.

For what it's worth, though, I got my first shipping confirmation in about a month late last week for Hue. Good to see that things are still moving, albeit slowly.
Yeah, things got slow like this last year pretty much due to the holiday lead times, so no surprise seeing it again. As for the Vita production in general, Sony for sure seems to have put cart production on a low priority, and no surprise there either. As I can't imagine any of these last Vita runs will be anywhere near the qty's of holiday PS4 titles, so just another day at the Sony offices. LOL

Not gonna lie, this has been a super disappointing month due to multiple game cancellations.
Makes me sad to see the short list of upcoming games. Five or six months (can't remember if it's beginning or end of Feb) and pretty much everything for NA vita will have to be ordered. It wouldn't surprise me if Dragon Fantasy 1 doesn't make it to the finish line, especially with limits for SKU's (it seems) getting applied to LRG and how there's been no update on it since it was announced as a project. I'd imagine the reason Sony had to limit them was simply so other companies could get their vita games as well and Sony didn't want to open up additional manufacturing space for it.

Makes me sad to see the short list of upcoming games. Five or six months (can't remember if it's beginning or end of Feb) and pretty much everything for NA vita will have to be ordered. It wouldn't surprise me if Dragon Fantasy 1 doesn't make it to the finish line, especially with limits for SKU's (it seems) getting applied to LRG and how there's been no update on it since it was announced as a project. I'd imagine the reason Sony had to limit them was simply so other companies could get their vita games as well and Sony didn't want to open up additional manufacturing space for it.
Dragon Fantasy is the one that would hurt the most for me to see cancelled, but at this point it's smarter to prepare for disappointment.

On the other hand, I'm starting to get a little perspective about the situation. The Vita has been essentially dead in NA since about 2015--I think that was the last year Sony itself released any games, though feel free to double check me. Despite that, the community kept buying enough games to keep production going for another four years. That's pretty damn good, especially considering how much more complicated and expensive it is to manufacture custom carts than it is to simply print disks. I don't think any other handhelds have managed to stay active that long without any first party support. It's not super helpful now that all these games are getting cancelled, but I still find it pretty interesting.

Dragon Fantasy is the one that would hurt the most for me to see cancelled, but at this point it's smarter to prepare for disappointment.
That's one of the few I've been wanting. Loved the Book 1 version.

On a positive note, after posting my worries about the game I started to do some research and the dev posted an update back in July that the game was close to being ready for submitting and they expected to submit in August. So, maybe my fears are a bit premature. I just haven't heard anything in so long and it's not like LRG gives us any updates on this stuff.

Here's the update: http://muteki.games/dragon-fantasy-volume-of-westeria-physical-update/

On the other hand, I'm starting to get a little perspective about the situation. The Vita has been essentially dead in NA since about 2015--I think that was the last year Sony itself released any games, though feel free to double check me. Despite that, the community kept buying enough games to keep production going for another four years. That's pretty damn good, especially considering how much more complicated and expensive it is to manufacture custom carts than it is to simply print disks. I don't think any other handhelds have managed to stay active that long without any first party support. It's not super helpful now that all these games are getting cancelled, but I still find it pretty interesting.
Yeah that's about right. All the news stories came out about losing money and being a legacy console during the year. They discontinued PSTV officially and quietly cancelled restocks just before Fiscal Year 2015 ended in March 2016. Since it was so quiet of a discontinuation it looked like it was still going strong and the various fire sales probably got a lot more people in the ecosystem after the fact.

Yeah that's about right. All the news stories came out about losing money and being a legacy console during the year. They discontinued PSTV officially and quietly cancelled restocks just before Fiscal Year 2015 ended in March 2016. Since it was so quiet of a discontinuation it looked like it was still going strong and the various fire sales probably got a lot more people in the ecosystem after the fact.
As long as the digital crossbuy games keep trickling out, I'll be happy. I haven't been able to afford to buy the limited cartridge releases anyway, but I do enjoy playing the Vita and the PSTV and hope to continue to enjoy both for a while longer. Cheap digital games are fine for me...until the day that I won't be able to download them anymore.

whelp... picked up 7'sCarlet, code:realize ~Future Blessings~ , Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk / Black Butterfly, and Muv-luv (why is this 50 ... UGH) new ......

did the other muv-luv get a physical release outside of the kickstarter??

whelp... picked up 7'sCarlet, code:realize ~Future Blessings~ , Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk / Black Butterfly, and Muv-luv (why is this 50 ... UGH) new ......

Yes

On another note, it looks like the Muv Luv is sold out at Best Buy and Amazon. I’m surprised that it is has sold out so quick.

Both Muv Luv titles were given a physical release outside of Kickstarter by PQube, who were given the rights for a retail release due to them shouldering the cost of manufacturing and in order for them to recoup costs

Yes, a small print run is the most likely scenario. It's quite understandable, given the circumstances surrounding the release. Going for a large print run was never going to pay off. They would have just gotten stuck with a mountain of stock, and companies like Best Buy and Amazon would be clearing out the extra copies for $15 or less inside of a few months. In those scenarios, the publisher usually ends up eating the cost, not the store. A smaller print run that sells through at its original price is much more optimal, even if it means bargain-hunters like the average CAG don't get an opportunity for sales.

I already got my copies of each Muv Luv version. Struck while the iron was hot. I kind of saw this one coming.

Yes, a small print run is the most likely scenario. It's quite understandable, given the circumstances surrounding the release. Going for a large print run was never going to pay off. They would have just gotten stuck with a mountain of stock, and companies like Best Buy and Amazon would be clearing out the extra copies for $15 or less inside of a few months. In those scenarios, the publisher usually ends up eating the cost, not the store. A smaller print run that sells through at its original price is much more optimal, even if it means bargain-hunters like the average CAG don't get an opportunity for sales.

I already got my copies of each Muv Luv version. Struck while the iron was hot. I kind of saw this one coming.
I feel better now about the whole situation where copies you got from being a backer are the same as the retail release. At least it is still limited and I have extras of both.

I think honestly if you want something that's on Vita...buy now or just say you wont likely find it cheaper later. I'm not happy purchasing Punch Line, but I may find it hard to get later.

I think honestly if you want something that's on Vita...buy now or just say you wont likely find it cheaper later. I'm not happy purchasing Punch Line, but I may find it hard to get later.
I’ve been waiting it out for GameStop to drop the “new” price to $19.99. Trying to keep up with new releases at $40 ($32) was too much.

Yes.

hmm guess i better start looking for the other muv-luv then. thanks guys
Only place I can still find it available to order online from is directly from Rice Digital (PQube's parent company). $74.99 for the set of both games with a sleeve box and art cards. Keep in mind it is likely to be a extra $15 - $20 for S&H as they ship direct from their HQ in the heart of the The British Empire.

https://www.ricedigital.co.uk/store/muv-luv-trilogy-collectors-edition-ps-vita-us-version

Muv Luv was available at Bull Moose until very recently for $37.97.  I actually posted it in this thread too.  Looks like they sold out too over the last couple of days.

Hmmmmm... it was available for shipping from GameStop this morning when I posted, but is now sold out.

There are a few stores that show they have “new” copies available.

I emailed them multiple times and they never responded. Dunno what the issue is, but I guess I'm SOL.
If you didn't get the Paypal link a month or so ago, you are SOL. Their customer service is absolutely horrible. I can't tell you how many e-mails and Facebook/Twitter posts it took to get a response.

Got my Severed Special Edition from PA today. It's a lot nicer than I expected. Love it. Glad to have ordered.
Yeah, my came as well, I just haven't had the chance to open it yet, but this was for sure one of my favorite Vita game buys across it's whole run. I'm really glad it was offered, and I hope since Asia cart production is supposed to last past the US date, I'm hopeful we see a few gems happen after the US has been stopped(fingers crossed).

Yeah, my came as well, I just haven't had the chance to open it yet, but this was for sure one of my favorite Vita game buys across it's whole run. I'm really glad it was offered, and I hope since Asia cart production is supposed to last past the US date, I'm hopeful we see a few gems happen after the US has been stopped(fingers crossed).
I may have ordered the bundle for PS4 but I'd still pay a whole bunch for an Asia English release of Persona 3 +5 Dancing physical releases. Please please please

bread's done
Back