PS3 101: New user's guide to the PS3 (ask questions here -- TMK is on duty)

How hot does the system run? That is, does the fan run constantly while playing a game? I'm a new PS3 owner and I was playing GTA IV last night on my PS3 and I noticed that behind the PS3, the table became very warm and the system was throwing off ALOT of really warm air.

I have it well ventilated(read: not in an entertainment center) and I was wondering if this is normal?

I used to always feel the temp of the air coming out of my PS2 and Xbox too, since I played those for 3-5 hours in one shot sometimes.

I was wondering about that, since I know my one buddies family has something propped under one side of their 40gb PS3 and they have it on the same kind of table as mine.

Thanks for the info, Frisky.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's from the media server feature.[/quote]

Thanks...the fact that it says "Media Server Error" didn't clue me in to that. :roll:

Hey guys! Any word on DVR capability? I've been close to pulling the trigger on tivo but have been holding off because of rumors of a PS3 upgrade. Thanks!

Quick question, what do I change to make the PS3 play PS3 games in 1080i? I just noticed I have been playing GTAIV in 720p. My TV only supports 1080i. At least thats what I think because thats what the BluRays play in, and thats the highest I've seen channels being displayed at.

[quote name='Scobie']Hey guys! Any word on DVR capability? I've been close to pulling the trigger on tivo but have been holding off because of rumors of a PS3 upgrade. Thanks![/quote]

I heard it is coming in July... but only to the EU (and Australia?). Also it's call [G]PlayTV[/G].

How warm does the PS3 actually get? I'm just wondering this, since I'm surprised by how much warm air it vents out of the back while playing a game. I noticed that the bottom half of the PS3 gets a bit warm after an hour or two as well.

Is this normal? Please tell me it is. I'm a new PS3 owner who has had video problems as well as disc scratching problems with some prior consoles(PS2's to be precise)and I just want to make sure my newest system isn't doing something out of the ordinary.

[quote name='D_Icon']Quick question, what do I change to make the PS3 play PS3 games in 1080i? I just noticed I have been playing GTAIV in 720p. My TV only supports 1080i. At least thats what I think because thats what the BluRays play in, and thats the highest I've seen channels being displayed at.[/QUOTE]

uncheck the 720p option in the display settings / video output settings and leave 1080i checked, and that should force the game to display in 1080i. [there was another game that had the same issue, don't remember the name] But anytime you want to force a resolution in a specific game, this is how you do it. 1081i does give a slight improvement over the 720 (or 640p) resolution.

It works I just tried it now to confirm.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']How warm does the PS3 actually get? I'm just wondering this, since I'm surprised by how much warm air it vents out of the back while playing a game. I noticed that the bottom half of the PS3 gets a bit warm after an hour or two as well.

Is this normal? Please tell me it is. I'm a new PS3 owner who has had video problems as well as disc scratching problems with some prior consoles(PS2's to be precise)and I just want to make sure my newest system isn't doing something out of the ordinary.[/quote]
Yes... it is normal.
If it isn't, mine are defective too.
I don't know where the thermal sensor for my multimeter is or I'd test it but I'm guessing the air coming out of mine is about 20 degrees F hotter than ambient.

I'm thinking the PS3 can get a lot hotter too, as the fans can speed up to be just as loud as the 360. (see any of the fan test videos (20/60/80 40)) Supposedly, Sony says that can damage the PS3... You've been warned.

The videos for the fan test are very interesting, very interesting indeed. According to the person who made the 40gb fan test one, if you do that test, it's like the PS3 cleans itself of dust.

That is most intriguing, since I remember having to clean my friends PS2s and their fans would sometimes be gunked up with a ton of dust, which had to be removed manually.

It sure as hell beats blowing compressed air into the PS3, like we used to have to use on the PS2s.

[quote name='dallow']Don't the fan test more than once or twice.
It damages the system according to Sony.[/quote]
Seriously... You have a link to the official word from Sony?

I was wondering about that, since I know I just watched quite a few videos of it on YouTube and most of them came with warnings about not doing it.

I always keep my systems clean and free of dust anyway, so this shouldn't be a problem for me. Although, I will say that this morning I noticed a staticy charge on the top part of the PS3's case. I had only wiped it down with a clean, lint free rag to get any dust particles off, but now I see why many were saying that it's a dust magnet.

[quote name='Thomas96']uncheck the 720p option in the display settings / video output settings and leave 1080i checked, and that should force the game to display in 1080i. [there was another game that had the same issue, don't remember the name] But anytime you want to force a resolution in a specific game, this is how you do it. 1081i does give a slight improvement over the 720 (or 640p) resolution.

It works I just tried it now to confirm.[/quote]
Just be aware that any game that does NOT explicitly support 1080i/p (which would be the majority of them) will display in 480p as long as this setting is enabled.

[quote name='mguiddy']I heard it is coming in July... but only to the EU (and Australia?). Also it's call [G]PlayTV[/G].[/QUOTE]

Intriguing. Thanks for the link. Can't wait till July!!

[quote name='Thomas96']uncheck the 720p option in the display settings / video output settings and leave 1080i checked, and that should force the game to display in 1080i. [there was another game that had the same issue, don't remember the name] But anytime you want to force a resolution in a specific game, this is how you do it. 1081i does give a slight improvement over the 720 (or 640p) resolution.
It works I just tried it now to confirm.[/quote]

That worked, thanks.

I tried logging in online through the PS3, but connection failed. I did a Test Connection, and where it says gettin IP address it Fails. I recently switched from DSL to Comcast.
I have this modem
Any help?

Also, If I can't log in plugging in the modem directly does that mean that if I buy a router I wont be able to log in either?

EDIT:
So there is no PS3 Rock Band thread?

After struggling for hours I finally managed to get online.
Today I headed down to Walgreens and picked up a prepaid VISA card. Little did I know I had to wait an hour before activating it. The time finally came (9:13PM). I then had to bring the PS3 near my PC so I can plug in the cable modem. It took over an hour moving setting around until I finally was able to connect. I then went into the PS3 store and added to my cart a bunch of Rock Band songs (10). I then was asked to enter a credit card number, I entered the prepaid VISA's number. Afterwards I downloaded the songs.

My question is what gonna happen next? Since I paid with a prepaid VISA is the total just gonna subtract from the cards balance. I just hope I don't get some bill sent to my house. This is the first time I do this kind of thing. Any help appreciated.

games like Phantasy Star Universe (Playstation 2)

can you play online with the ps3 ? if so what other ps2 games are online besides this and final fantasy online one.

Anyone know where I can get an extra PS3 HD tray? The last person who owned the PS3 tried changing the HD, but warped the hell out of the screws to the point that a phillips head won't fit anymore.

[quote name='D_Icon']I tried logging in online through the PS3, but connection failed. I did a Test Connection, and where it says gettin IP address it Fails. I recently switched from DSL to Comcast.
I have this modem
Any help?

Also, If I can't log in plugging in the modem directly does that mean that if I buy a router I wont be able to log in either?

EDIT:
So there is no PS3 Rock Band thread?

After struggling for hours I finally managed to get online.
Today I headed down to Walgreens and picked up a prepaid VISA card. Little did I know I had to wait an hour before activating it. The time finally came (9:13PM). I then had to bring the PS3 near my PC so I can plug in the cable modem. It took over an hour moving setting around until I finally was able to connect. I then went into the PS3 store and added to my cart a bunch of Rock Band songs (10). I then was asked to enter a credit card number, I entered the prepaid VISA's number. Afterwards I downloaded the songs.

My question is what gonna happen next? Since I paid with a prepaid VISA is the total just gonna subtract from the cards balance. I just hope I don't get some bill sent to my house. This is the first time I do this kind of thing. Any help appreciated.[/quote]

Typically, those pre-paid cards just have the amounts deducted from the available balance until the balance reaches $0. Although, the card I had for Christmas had a disclaimer on it saying that if you went over the balance and for some reason the charge went through, you would be responsible for any overages.

I don't know how they could try and do that(aside from tracking which address the item that caused the overage is sent to, if it's a physical item), but I'm sure they'd find a way.

Right now, I still have a .05 balance remaining the card I got for Christmas, but the card itself expired last month, so I lost that whole nickel. :lol:

Many of those cards have inactivity or monthly fees taken off of the total after you haven't used them for so many months. There is also typically a charge for checking your balance with some of them. Some of the WORST offenders I've seen were the Visa cards available from Wal*Mart.

I had a Vanilla Visa myself, which had a $5-7 charge over and above the cost of the card itself to activate it. It had no fees associated with it, aside from the inactivity ones after 6 months or so. I used up the balance on it LONG before the expiration date, so I definitely got my moneys worth from it.

Hope this answers your question....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Typically, those pre-paid cards just have the amounts deducted from the available balance until the balance reaches $0. Although, the card I had for Christmas had a disclaimer on it saying that if you went over the balance and for some reason the charge went through, you would be responsible for any overages.

I don't know how they could try and do that(aside from tracking which address the item that caused the overage is sent to, if it's a physical item), but I'm sure they'd find a way.

Right now, I still have a .05 balance remaining the card I got for Christmas, but the card itself expired last month, so I lost that whole nickel. :lol:

Many of those cards have inactivity or monthly fees taken off of the total after you haven't used them for so many months. There is also typically a charge for checking your balance with some of them. Some of the WORST offenders I've seen were the Visa cards available from Wal*Mart.

I had a Vanilla Visa myself, which had a $5-7 charge over and above the cost of the card itself to activate it. It had no fees associated with it, aside from the inactivity ones after 6 months or so. I used up the balance on it LONG before the expiration date, so I definitely got my moneys worth from it.

Hope this answers your question....[/quote]

Thanks for answering. You answered my question

One last thing. I have a $2.93 balance on the card. I want to get one more song, but I have to add funds with a minimum of $5.00. Right now the PS3 shows that I have $0.00 funds. What does it mean to add funds? Should I just click on add funds? Like I said I only have $2.93 on the card but I have to add funds of minimum $5.

If I click on add the $5.00 funds does that mean I am making a $5 purchase with a card that only has a $2.93 balance?

It says add funds to wallet with the minimum being $5.00. Does that mean that I will add funds to the PS3 wallet? Since I am making a purchase of $1.99 and the card has enough to cover that. Only if I spend the remaining funds in the PS3 wallet then I would be spending money that I dont have.

[quote name='D_Icon']Thanks for answering. You answered my question

One last thing. I have a $2.93 balance on the card. I want to get one more song, but I have to add funds with a minimum of $5.00. Right now the PS3 shows that I have $0.00 funds. What does it mean to add funds? Should I just click on add funds? Like I said I only have $2.93 on the card but I have to add funds of minimum $5.

If I click on add the $5.00 funds does that mean I am making a $5 purchase with a card that only has a $2.93 balance?

It says add funds to wallet with the minimum being $5.00. Does that mean that I will add funds to the PS3 wallet? Since I am making a purchase of $1.99 and the card has enough to cover that. Only if I spend the remaining funds in the PS3 wallet then I would be spending money that I dont have.[/quote]
Are you sure you have to add funds first?
When I bought the Warhawk booster packs it let me pay the exact amount.

[quote name='mguiddy']Are you sure you have to add funds first?
When I bought the Warhawk booster packs it let me pay the exact amount.[/quote]

yeah I d/l the CoD4 map pack and just paid for it. Just don't add funds, but rather just add what you want into your cart and basically buy what you put in, rather than having a balance.. not sure if it works for everything like RB but worked like this for me.

Just remember that the minimum charge is still $5 even when you use the exact deduction method. So, if your wallet is empty and you're only buying something cheap like a Rock Band song, you'll end up with a couple bucks left in your wallet for next time. Not a huge deal, but I could see how it could be annoying if you were pennies short for something.

[quote name='metaly']Just remember that the minimum charge is still $5 even when you use the exact deduction method. So, if your wallet is empty and you're only buying something cheap like a Rock Band song, you'll end up with a couple bucks left in your wallet for next time. Not a huge deal, but I could see how it could be annoying if you were pennies short for something.[/quote]
Ahh, I had no clue... that sucks, but it's a lot better than the live/wii points system, in my opinion.

Super NOOB question but I just want to be careful. Anyway, I was reading the manual and it said that I should connect all audio and video cables before connecting the power cables. I was too excited and connected the power first and then the audio and video cables and I'm wondering if there's anything bad about doing that? And did anybody else do the same thing I did (If they can even remember)? Thanks in advance.

It shouldn't do any harm to your system, as I've been switching my HDMI cable from my PS3 to my 360 at least once a day and nothing's come of it for the year, nearly, that I've had my PS3.

I burnt out the AV ports on my tv by plugging and unplugging the composite cables I had my PS2 hooked up to my tv with from them many, many times, Frisky.

So, be careful when doing that with the PS3 and 360, since I'm sure you can also burn out the HDMI ports if you're doing it often enough.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I burnt out the AV ports on my tv by plugging and unplugging the composite cables I had my PS2 hooked up to my tv with from them many, many times, Frisky.

So, be careful when doing that with the PS3 and 360, since I'm sure you can also burn out the HDMI ports if you're doing it often enough.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean they physically wore out? I guess that could happen (too bad though :whistle2:( ) but electrically they shouldn't care.

So it doesn't matter whether the audio and video cables or the power cables are connected first then, right? I'm just wondering why the manual states that with a caution.

[quote name='ns27']So it doesn't matter whether the audio and video cables or the power cables are connected first then, right? I'm just wondering why the manual states that with a caution.[/QUOTE]

It won't do anything to your system, but if you system ever died and you happened to say you did that, it would void your warranty because you didn't follow their operating instructions. Companies always have holes so that they can get out of honoring their warranties.

Might have something to do with static electricity, or who knows what? Anyway it's something I'd try to do if you remember to, but I wouldn't worry if you forget. Probably not something that's going to hurt it 99% of the time.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']How long is Uncharted?[/quote]
I haven't played it myself but I did a quick search and people at the official PS forum said

[quote name='bmachine']I played through the game on the lowest difficulty and got through it in just under 12 hours. I picked up about 80% of the treasure items, too.

It's an exceptional game, but I don't know how anyone could get 40 hours out of it...unless they're playing through the entire game on every difficulty level.[/quote]

Yeah... I thought 40 sounded kind of high, but I was just saying what I read on the PS forums.

[quote name='bmachine']I played through the game on the lowest difficulty and got through it in just under 12 hours. I picked up about 80% of the treasure items, too.

It's an exceptional game, but I don't know how anyone could get 40 hours out of it...unless they're playing through the entire game on every difficulty level.[/quote]

I played through it on the default difficulty and collected about 50% of the treasures and going through using different weapons to get the achievements.. took me about 8.5 hours one playthrough and this is me dying quite a few times and not running through it + watching cut scenes. The game keeps track of your playtime. This game was GREAT, loved (almost) every bit of it, but I was disappointed in the length. I guess it's okay though I enjoyed it enough.

Many thanks fellas. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone offer info on how to customize the icons on a ps3 theme? Specifically, I'd like to replace the icons with a different picture altogether, rather than just editing the original icon. Any help is appreciated and thanks again.

I'm going to be a future ps3 owner and i have a few questions.
I have a 1280x1024 monitor how high is my monitor going to able to display at?
I'm thinking about installing linux, but the last time i checked which was quite a while ago they haven't accessed the gpu to able to use. Have they accessed it yet for use? The reason why I'm asking is It would be nice not have use my softmodded xbox for my multimedia and emulation needs, plus my xbox can't seem to play h.264 and x264 videos even if they are just dvd quality.
I already have unreal tournament 3 on the why is there still quite a few people who play it online? I used to play unreal tournament 2004 even though it was with just bots I still considered it to be better the halo since the player doesn't move like a turtle. Sorry for my complaint with halo I like the game, but master chief just seems a quite a bit slow compared to ut.
Well thats all i have to ask. Thanx

[quote name='D_Icon']I don't mean to jump over you ff7scloud.

When are the Playstation Network cards going to be available?[/quote]
Supposed to be spring 08, though they have been available for a while in select markets (usually around military bases). Maybe before summer.

ff7 I believe you monitor will display 720p, but you can always see if the ps3 will be able to run 1080i on your screen. If not it will just go blank and revert back to the best available resolution..

[quote name='endlessPRO']can you download music onto your ps3?[/QUOTE]

I don't know anything about how you do it, but yes, it can play music, video, etc., from both the hard drive, memory cards, streamed over a network, etc.

[quote name='schuerm26']How do I delete my Playstation network username and password? I sold my PS3 to a friend and I want to get that off of it. Thanks.[/quote]
I'm pretty sure deleting the user profile on the FAR left of the XMB will do it.

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm pretty sure deleting the user profile on the FAR left of the XMB will do it.[/quote]

That's what I figured but it won't let me. I can click on the user name. Hit Triangle for Options. Then the only choice i have is information. From there I can only change the name or the smiling face logo to something else. Is there some sort of delete function on the keyboard when changing the username?

bread's done
Back