PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

CAGs help.

Last night while watching a movie on my PS3 I was surprised with the Red Light of Death.:cry:

Someone please tell me that unlike the YLOD I can get it repaired without loosing the content in my hard drive.?

Okay so just now I turned it on and it turned on normally.

Do you guys think I have enough time to do a backup?

This is a backwards compatible PS3 with 4-USB ports. It's an 80GB model with a 500GB hard drive update. There is 150 GB of space left out of the 450GB on it. So there there is a lot of backing up to do

I'm scared guys. What if it turns off during the backup?

[quote name='D_Icon']Okay so just now I turned it on and it turned on normally.

Do you guys think I have enough time to do a backup?

This is a backwards compatible PS3 with 4-USB ports. It's an 80GB model with a 500GB hard drive update. There is 150 GB of space left out of the 450GB on it. So there there is a lot of backing up to do

I'm scared guys. What if it turns off during the backup?[/QUOTE]

Go ahead and do the backup, I don't think you have anything to lose. I'd back it up before it's dead permanently. Also you should probably deactivate your PS3 from your PSN accounts (go into account management to do this) since it seems like it's near death.

You never have enough time to do a backup.
I would say nothing bad will happen (outside of whatever bad already happened to make it fail) if it turns off during backup. Mine did a few times when I was trying to back up when my power supply was failing, didn't adversely affect anything though.

If it's operational again, the first thing to do is back up your save files to an external drive. Sony's full backup utility isn't great and the difference is that it includes game data and everything else like profile information and console settings, video, picture and music files -- some of which can be backed up individually if need be. The game data and anything else you've downloaded through your PSN account(s) can be re-downloaded from your account history.

I was unable to do a back up. The PS3 just froze and I turned it off by holding the power button. Then it went back to the red light of death mode. This was around noon.

So is there any chance that I can get it fixed via 3rd party shop and not lose the content on the PS3?

Just now (12am midnight) I turned it on and it loaded normally. I don't think I can restore or back up anything on time. Do you guys think a shop can diagnose the problem as being the fan? And if the problem is the fan, can it be replaced without having to format my hard drive?

So I took the PS3 to a local repair shop. They fixed it for $50, and the hard drive wasn't formatted. Right now I'm backing it up.

Doing the system back up, will all my videos and music back up too?

[quote name='D_Icon']So I took the PS3 to a local repair shop. They fixed it for $50, and the hard drive wasn't formatted. Right now I'm backing it up.

Doing the system back up, will all my videos and music back up too?[/QUOTE]

They should, unless it has DRM, then probably.

I got a question about the good old PS3 myself too. I was playing MAG then a sudden power loss caused by the cord loose, is that going to do much of damage to the hardware and/or the software? I am a little worried.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']They should, unless it has DRM, then probably.

I got a question about the good old PS3 myself too. I was playing MAG then a sudden power loss caused by the cord loose, is that going to do much of damage to the hardware and/or the software? I am a little worried.[/QUOTE]

A power surge would do more damage. If it only lost power it would be like crashing a computer, but I don't think it is as severe on a PS3 as it would be to 'Windows'.

My 60GB phat got a YLOD. I don't care enough to get data off of it, since I got a slim last year figuring the original was on its last legs. Just wondering if there's anything I should do with the hardware?

I'm guessing the hdd could be put in a regular PC, but not sure if the Blu-ray drive is usable in anything other than another PS3.

I need a good recommendation for a good (preferably cheap) bluetooth headset. I have a 2 year old headset that I used with my phone but it went in the washer and now it sounds like shit. I have a Turtle Beach X11 that I use with both my 360 and PS3 since my monitor has 3.5mm out but that won't work too well with any bluetooth headset on my ear already. I was looking at the new PS3 headset but it won't work with my 360 and I would prefer to have only one. I know there are some headsets that will work with both the 360 and PS3 but those are a little pricey for me. Anyone with a 360 and PS3 have a good cheap solution?

I was wondering if there was a way to read the messages I get on my PS3 through my PC and send/respond messages as well. I've been organizing a boosting group through PS3 messages, but lately I've been working late hours and end up leaving them hanging.

I have a question

If you buy a Playstation Plus card from the store, do you still have to put in your credit card?

I have a free trial for Playstation Plus that came with my Infamous 2 Ps3 Bundle, but it says a credit card is required. I find that weird, because I didn't need to put in a credit card when I got the trial from the Welcome Back package.

Got the new PS3 remote on Skyrim night at my local Gamestop. You can tell its the new one if its in the same new blue packaging as the controllers. 1/2 the weight of the original and it's BT and IR without the need of a plug-in adapter. Best remote you can get for the price (I know Harmony's are better but a LOT more expensive and you have to have the $40 adapter for PS3.)

I've gotten a new HD 750 GB to replace my 60 GB from my BC phat system. Looking online at all the how to's they all seem to be from 2009 or earlier. Anything new happened with updates that may have changed the process? Anything to look out for? Also can I transfer data to a 16 GB flash drive or do I have to use an external drive to copy the original's data to and then back onto the new drive?

[quote name='jdawgg76']I've gotten a new HD 750 GB to replace my 60 GB from my BC phat system. Looking online at all the how to's they all seem to be from 2009 or earlier. Anything new happened with updates that may have changed the process? Anything to look out for? Also can I transfer data to a 16 GB flash drive or do I have to use an external drive to copy the original's data to and then back onto the new drive?[/QUOTE]

Try this thread, I used it for info when I upgraded mine and has nice links to items to buy and use during the process, very helpful indeed. ;)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172479&highlight=upgrade

My PS3 froze last night at the start up screen after putting a DVD movie in. Then it stayed froze but the XMB background started moving 1 frame every few seconds (like slow motion) and then completely froze too again. I was able to eject the movie, but the system would not power off when I pressed power, I tried holding power many times and did not work either. Finally after 20 minutes holding power started to power it off, but then when it was powering off the green light flashed and it took 25 minutes to power off.

Does anyone have any clue what happened and what I should do? If it does this again will it be okay to unplug it from the electrical outlet?

Finally upgrade my HD from the 80 to 500GB worst timing ever as 4.00 came out right after i finished backing up and I needed it (on flash drive) before the new HD would format correctly.

Anyway as I'm in the process of (re)downloading nearly everything in my history I've run into a problem regarding PSP games. PSP games used to group like other types of games (PS3, Minis, PS1, etc) in to folders. Which would be as you'd expect unplayable but I liked having them all there so when I do get a PSP I can just copy over every PSP game I have. What's happening now is that all my PSP stuff is stuck in install bubbles. How do I get them back to the way they were? I'd rather now have to download PSP games over again every time I want access to them. That could get very bothersome.

Damn, my fat PS3 just got the RLOD again (2nd time). I'm definitely gonna get a slim PS3 now.

Quick question, on my 80GB backwards compatible PS3 I updated the hard drive to one with 500GB. Will this 500GB hard drive fit a slim PS3? I'm aware that it might have to get formatted but I have a backup ready.

[quote name='D_Icon']Damn, my fat PS3 just got the RLOD again (2nd time). I'm definitely gonna get a slim PS3 now.

Quick question, on my 80GB backwards compatible PS3 I updated the hard drive to one with 500GB. Will this 500GB hard drive fit a slim PS3? I'm aware that it might have to get formatted but I have a backup ready.[/QUOTE]

2.5 SATA is still 2.5 SATA. I would say of course it's going to fit simply on the basis that there's not really any consumer available alternatives. I figure they can't ask you to buy 1.8 inch drives or anything.

has anyone else had this happen? When I DL a game from PSN and install it it from the 'bubble' under the game area, the game installs fine, but said 'bubble' no longer disappears automatically. I have to manually delete it.

This has only started happening after 4.00 update. Its not a major problem, but it just seems messed up to me..

[quote name='token2k6']has anyone else had this happen? When I DL a game from PSN and install it it from the 'bubble' under the game area, the game installs fine, but said 'bubble' no longer disappears automatically. I have to manually delete it.

This has only started happening after 4.00 update. Its not a major problem, but it just seems messed up to me..[/QUOTE]

Happened last night with the Orbit mini. However, it didn't happen with the BF3 DLC, TR:U, or the other crap mini that was free.

After the previous PS3 freeze I had, I restored my PS3 files using Safe Mode and it worked ok for a few days, but it froze again last night (after putting same movie in) and shut off only after holding down power for 25 seconds. I turned it back on and it said it had to restore itself due to corrupted files. Anyone have this happen?

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']Happened last night with the Orbit mini. However, it didn't happen with the BF3 DLC, TR:U, or the other crap mini that was free.[/QUOTE]

That's because it only affects content that can be used on a PSP/Vita (mostly minis/PS1 classics/PSP games). It's strange that some PSP content is still transferable after installed, I don't think Sony has stated anything officially in the changelog about the change. It does NOT affect any content that will only work on a PS3. The change was added in the last firmware update. I'm not sure why they removed the ability to have it installed and transferable.. it's just gonna make people waste bandwidth redownloadling again when they need content on their PSP.

[quote name='J7.']After the previous PS3 freeze I had, I restored my PS3 files using Safe Mode and it worked ok for a few days, but it froze again last night (after putting same movie in) and shut off only after holding down power for 25 seconds. I turned it back on and it said it had to restore itself due to corrupted files. Anyone have this happen?[/QUOTE]

2x, on different occasions. Both after I was playing SKYRIM, the first time I switched to MW3 and I had to pull the power, and then on restart had to rebuild the corrupt files. The second time when I went to DL the BF3 DLC and it froze during the dl portion. Had to rebuild the corrupt files again after restart, and then reinitiated dl of the BF3 DLC... getting kind of worried. PS3 Slim 120GB.

[quote name='nakanenui']2x, on different occasions. Both after I was playing SKYRIM, the first time I switched to MW3 and I had to pull the power, and then on restart had to rebuild the corrupt files. The second time when I went to DL the BF3 DLC and it froze during the dl portion. Had to rebuild the corrupt files again after restart, and then reinitiated dl of the BF3 DLC... getting kind of worried. PS3 Slim 120GB.[/QUOTE]

Has your PS3 been taking a long time to shut off, especially when it had frozen? Has it required you to hold the power button down very long to shut off?

Official Wireless Virtual 7.1 PS3 Headset- yay or nay? Anyone got it and can recommend?

And I know it doesn't work with Blu Ray movies (I think), but does it work with movies watched after buying on PSN, or movies on Netflix?

[quote name='monash65']Official Wireless Virtual 7.1 PS3 Headset- yay or nay? Anyone got it and can recommend?

And I know it doesn't work with Blu Ray movies (I think), but does it work with movies watched after buying on PSN, or movies on Netflix?[/QUOTE]

I love my set, and when playing games, they take precedence over my 7.1 system. They don't provide sound for disc based movies... but I haven't tried PSN purchased movies or Netflix yet. I'll try it out tonight and report back.

Am I just missing it or is there no way to actually see which games your Friends have been playing recently? I know that you can see the image their recent trohpies on their card but why the heck doesn't it say what game it is from?

[quote name='gubmccargen']Am I just missing it or is there no way to actually see which games your Friends have been playing recently? I know that you can see the image their recent trohpies on their card but why the heck doesn't it say what game it is from?[/QUOTE]

Click on the image and it will list the most recent trophy-supported titles they've played, and just above that list, you'll see the five most recent trophies they've acquired

[quote name='Heavyd814life']Click on the image and it will list the most recent trophy-supported titles they've played, and just above that list, you'll see the five most recent trophies they've acquired[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response but I still don't see where I can click on the trophy images? Maybe I wasn't clear enough but I mean actually on the PS3 when I click on a Friend and it shows their level, total trophy number, etc.

OK, I have had my PS3 for 4 years and have never used it online. I have a some questions:

Should I set up a special email for psn only?

If I register on my computer, can I enter DLC codes and wait to download them?

Does DLC have to be downloaded by the expiration date or is it indefinitely if I enter the code before expiration?

Are there any other tips that I should know before I sign up?

[quote name='slowdive21']OK, I have had my PS3 for 4 years and have never used it online. I have a some questions:

Should I set up a special email for psn only?

If I register on my computer, can I enter DLC codes and wait to download them?

Does DLC have to be downloaded by the expiration date or is it indefinitely if I enter the code before expiration?

Are there any other tips that I should know before I sign up?[/QUOTE]

anyone?

yeah you want to have a specific real email for your psn id id also suggest you be sure to make your password for both different and mix in symbols and numbers. some dlc does expire ( like the dlc for the force unleashed ce) but some have expeiration dates but can still be dled.

also if you ever plan on ding gamesharing with anyone make sure to do that n another account s basically create a new account on your ps3 and make sure that one has a real email attached to it with a diff password that way if the person you gameshare with tries to change the password on you you can get a password change sent to your email and change it back.

also if you arent comfortable using your real birthday , especially after the hacking, be sure to write down the fake bday you use i lost an account due to that myself lol.

if you get online messages in your psn message box dont click them especially if you dont know who its from. every so often you do get messages from companies or sony depending on if youre a plus member or if youve dled dems and they offer you games at discount. if youre not sure if its legit just post on cag in the ps3 section.

if youve got any other questions lemme know.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah you want to have a specific real email for your psn id id also suggest you be sure to make your password for both different and mix in symbols and numbers. some dlc does expire ( like the dlc for the force unleashed ce) but some have expeiration dates but can still be dled.

also if you ever plan on ding gamesharing with anyone make sure to do that n another account s basically create a new account on your ps3 and make sure that one has a real email attached to it with a diff password that way if the person you gameshare with tries to change the password on you you can get a password change sent to your email and change it back.

also if you arent comfortable using your real birthday , especially after the hacking, be sure to write down the fake bday you use i lost an account due to that myself lol.

if you get online messages in your psn message box dont click them especially if you dont know who its from. every so often you do get messages from companies or sony depending on if youre a plus member or if youve dled dems and they offer you games at discount. if youre not sure if its legit just post on cag in the ps3 section.

if youve got any other questions lemme know.[/QUOTE]

OK Thank you!

I just got everything set up, I had to restart my router to get it working (It knocked out both of my computers too). Now I have to figure out how to add "friends". It seems a little dumb that I can't add a friend form my computer if I have their psn ID. I haven't popped in a game yet to try to play online yet, but everything seems to be working. My trophies are showing online, so that sync must have worked.

you can do it through you message dealy on psn just pop in their name and send them a message saying you want to add them then you'll have to wait for them to accept the friend request. btw if you ever get into playing u3 online lemme know ill play with you.

Is there no marketplace via the computer like on the xbox? I was hoping I could redeem codes on the PC.

On another note Sony is stingy for not including any charging cords in the mayhem bundle. I have one cord and three items to charge. Hopefully I have spare cords in the house.

[quote name='J7.']Why do you need a separate email for PSN?[/QUOTE]

i do it just for basic safety. its not a necessity but for me i like the extra layer of protection.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']Is there no marketplace via the computer like on the xbox? I was hoping I could redeem codes on the PC.

On another note Sony is stingy for not including any charging cords in the mayhem bundle. I have one cord and three items to charge. Hopefully I have spare cords in the house.[/QUOTE]
You can redeem codes at qriocity.com.

Is there any reason to have two navigation controllers? I am looking into buying a second move controller but I wasn't sure if I needed a navigation controller.

bread's done
Back