PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

I noticed that EA games require you to register on their site to use the codes. Are there any tips before I do this? Does your username have to match your 'gamertag'? Does it have to be the same email you use for psn?

Thinking of getting a PS3 60gb launch, for $260 is it worth it? Guy is selling it to me with original box, manuals, 2 controllers and 2 games (Uncharted & Resistance..both launch titles).

Unless you really want PS2 compatability - No. It's not.

You can get a newer, more reliable PS3 at the store brand new for $250. Also- now that xmas has passed, you should be able to find some of the DS3/Game bundles on clearance (Costco had them for $40).

The old Phat systems that got used have pretty much all died at this point. So you are buying a machine that is likely to die on you and with a much smaller harddrive than is standard now.

I actually found a PS3 60gb launch for $160 flat with 30 day warranty, think i'll get that instead and save gas+money. I haven't used my psn account since months before the breach that took the psn down so hopefully it'll let me login and reset my password.

OK I have an old 40 gig. Evey time I play online I get lag and it shows the yellow and green lights flashing. Are the slims better with the online connection?

[quote name='slowdive21']OK I have an old 40 gig. Evey time I play online I get lag and it shows the yellow and green lights flashing. Are the slims better with the online connection?[/QUOTE]

anyone? I have a couple of sealed slims, but I don't want to crack one open if it will not help.

You playing over wifi? If you are, and you can, try connecting with a wire instead.
I don't know how the slims are, but I'm convinced the wifi card on the fats are shit.
I used to host warhawk over wifi and didn't have an issue, then all of a sudden it BAM! and everyone had .5 to .75 second ping times.

[quote name='mguiddy']You playing over wifi? If you are, and you can, try connecting with a wire instead.
I don't know how the slims are, but I'm convinced the wifi card on the fats are shit.
I used to host warhawk over wifi and didn't have an issue, then all of a sudden it BAM! and everyone had .5 to .75 second ping times.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am about 20 feet and through a hallway from the router, so plugging in isn't really an option unless I can find a long cable! . I had a feeling the fats didn't have the best wifi. :cry:

I'd like to buy The Simpsons Arcade game so my roommates and I can play it. If I log in under my PSN account (and under the individual PS3 account though I don't think this matters) and download it to his PS3, will I still be able to download it to my PS3 when I get home?

Possible stupid question, but what is the range a PS3 controller will still communicate with the console? I brought my main controller to school 2 weeks ago, I came home yesterday and noticed this afternoon that my PS3 was on.

[quote name='icedrake523']Possible stupid question, but what is the range a PS3 controller will still communicate with the console? I brought my main controller to school 2 weeks ago, I came home yesterday and noticed this afternoon that my PS3 was on.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done any testing, but I think it is 40 feet or so.

Umm.... dumb question, but how do I change the picture on my PSN account? I seriously can't find where you do that, though I did it when I first set it up...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Umm.... dumb question, but how do I change the picture on my PSN account? I seriously can't find where you do that, though I did it when I first set it up...[/QUOTE]
The PSN Avatar?
XMB > PlayStation Network > Account Management > Account Information > Avatar

or did you mean the User icon on the far left of the XMB?
Select the User, Triangle, Information, X, then select from Preset Images or Select from Photos

[quote name='mguiddy']The PSN Avatar?
XMB > PlayStation Network > Account Management > Account Information > Avatar

or did you mean the User icon on the far left of the XMB?
Select the User, Triangle, Information, X, then select from Preset Images or Select from Photos[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm printing that out and giving it a shot tonight. I'll probably kick myself when I see how easy it presumably is :lol:

OK I don't get the DLC stuff. I entered a code for AC Turkish armor, but I can't find it in the store. I redeemed the code online before it expired. The item is listed under "services" in my PSN account. Do I need to have the game installed to download it, or is that where codes go when they are expired?

I am new so I have a couple questions:

Is it better to get the uncharted double pack or should I get uncharted 1 and 2 used? Does the double pack include something that buying uncharted 1 and 2 used would not include?

When a game says playstation move compatible on it, does that mean that it requires the move, as in it won't work without it?

What is the minimum required space for the playstation move? I know the kinect requires 6-8 feet of space which I just don't have so no kinect for me, and the nyko zoom lens does not work. My Wii works in 3-4 feet of space which I do have.

It would say it's required if it required Move, like this. Most Move games don't need any space and use it in a similar manner to the Wii. The only ones I've played that needed some space were Sports Champions and MLB 12/11 and they needed about 6-8 feet.

Ok, the logo looked the same for the Move Required and move compatible games, and I hadn't seen any move required games yet so I guess there aren't too many of those and that move is simply an optional add in on most games. Not that I won't acquire one eventually, but I am waiting till this motion fad dies down so I can get all of this stuff cheaper when it dies down.

so I thought the idea was that if you keep the downloads you can restore your pSN+ account and the files will work again. I'm a bit confused.

My 3 month sub to PSN+ was set to expire in April I think. When that date came it auto renewed from a CC I forgot was on file. No major biggie.. mostly my fault but the point is that it never actually lapsed. I'm still PSN+ right now. But my PSN+ games are expired. I went to play Simpsons yesterday and it was a trial. I'm looking thru my list and my PSN+ games are all expired (April 18 2012). Any clue what's going on or what I should try to get my games back?

The Simpsons Arcade is an unlock code game, so the unlock code expires and turns it into the demo. You could try re-downloading the game from the store for quick access to it since you say you still have PS+. Have you tried starting up a game that didn't use an unlock code? It should ask to check the license with the PS Store and renew it since you're still PS+, which would've then prompted you to buy it if you weren't PS+ anymore.

The games are labeled by the expiration date they had when you first downloaded them, so they should only require a quick check to re-enable them for your account.

thanks Frisky it's possible i hadn't tried any non-unlock key games. Frogger was just showing as expired and opened up fine. I'll have to go thru my list. Most of these games I haven't even booted up yet, but I can't have my games in trial mode next time I take my system somewhere for a party.

Any idea how this would work for key based games that are no longer PSN+ free?
Edit: nevermind Simpsons is no longer free and that worked out.

ugh.. that's going ot be a pain in the neck to redo all these games. Even though I have a new router I tend to spend a lot of time offline for various reasons. Since they're all marked as "bought" in the PSn Store this means i can't go around adding to cart and then load them all at once. It means i have to game by game go in, download, push to background.

Yeah I can download just an unlock key for games that do that but most of my PSN+ stuff isn't. Esp things like my full game downloads.

Next system this will be much easier if they just mark games with a "Needs PSN+ (US)" flag and then my user account has an expiration date.

ugh..I'm a complete idiot. i forgot again.. in the span of 5 minutes that I can just start them.. my greatest apologies I'm working on some scheduling while I'm on the forum my head isn't where it should be.

My annoyance isn't having to go to the store but that I'm going to have to boot up the each game to refresh the exp date. While in the end that's less time it will require my presence more than going thru the store, pushing everything to background download and then turning off my PS3 (with the "After downloads complete" setting)

I'm gonna go get lunch or something before my next post is asking my first question all over again.

Once again thanks a bunch Frisky for your help.

So, uh, I rented a movie through the PSN store last night and promptly my PS3 managed to die on me once I started the movie (great timing!). I don't think that this is possible, but is there any way to watch the movie (since i have 24 hours to do so) without having a PS3? I remember you used to be able to log into PSN online, but I think they killed that a while back and I don't ever remember whether you could stream online anyway.

I tried out the 360's Razer Onza recently and absolutely loved how the face buttons felt, they were kind of like the way a mouse click feels. Is there anything similar for the PS3?

I have another question

Anyone have any opinion on what bundle I should get, I already have the move so that is out but I am torn between:

MW3 Bundle, I won't play the game, but its a good deal as I could flip the game.

Uncharted 3, I can still get this at BB, again if I hate the game I can flip it, but I might actually try this game.

Assassins Creed in October, probably don't want to wait this long, as I have games piling up here and no system. I don't know if I would even like the game since I haven't tried AC yet and there isn't a demo on the xbox marketplace so I can't try it before I buy.

If I can find the harry potter 160GB bundle I would probably get that one, but its not on the BB website and I have no idea if my local store has it so I don't know how to look for it via store locator.

BB is my only option for the PS3, as I am loaded with gift cards and store credit. Lets just say I am basically getting this thing for free because of the iPhone Viggle app...

Ok so my friend just bought a new TV (no problems there), she also bought a cheap blu-ray player but she was underwhelmed by it. I hooked up my PS3 to her TV so she could compare the the 2 players. Everything was going great i pretty much sold her on getting a PS3, then she asked about the games. I put in LBP2 and after the 10 minutes of updating :)roll:) there was no sound on the game, i then tried Portal 2.....again no sound. I ended up going through all my disk and none of them had sound. I tried games that were downloaded off PSN and they worked fine. I tried Blu-Ray movies and again they worked fine.

I then moved my PS3 back to my tv. and the sound/disk worked again!

Can anyone try to help me figure out why game disk wouldn't work on her TV?

[quote name='macontosh2000']Ok so my friend just bought a new TV (no problems there), she also bought a cheap blu-ray player but she was underwhelmed by it. I hooked up my PS3 to her TV so she could compare the the 2 players. Everything was going great i pretty much sold her on getting a PS3, then she asked about the games. I put in LBP2 and after the 10 minutes of updating :)roll:) there was no sound on the game, i then tried Portal 2.....again no sound. I ended up going through all my disk and none of them had sound. I tried games that were downloaded off PSN and they worked fine. I tried Blu-Ray movies and again they worked fine.

I then moved my PS3 back to my tv. and the sound/disk worked again!

Can anyone try to help me figure out why game disk wouldn't work on her TV?[/QUOTE]

What is your audio settings on the PS3? It is most likely something that you set up for your TV is not supported by her TV. Also, you connect the PS3 on both TV through HDMI, right? As much details you can provide for us with settings of your PS3 and both TVs will allow us to further help you.

Welp my PS3 refuses to work with an HDMI cord, I keep getting a mode unsupported error on my 720p insignia TV.
I've tried changing the resolution on a different TV to a lower res, didn't work. Tried holding the power button 'til the two beeps came up, didn't work. The HDMI cable worked perfectly on other TVs, and my cable box that uses an HDMI cable works on my current TV just fine.
Please help me, I don't really have the money to buy component cables.

[quote name='Hente']Welp my PS3 refuses to work with an HDMI cord, I keep getting a mode unsupported error on my 720p insignia TV.
I've tried changing the resolution on a different TV to a lower res, didn't work. Tried holding the power button 'til the two beeps came up, didn't work. The HDMI cable worked perfectly on other TVs, and my cable box that uses an HDMI cable works on my current TV just fine.
Please help me, I don't really have the money to buy component cables.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how much help I will be...

When you connect the PS3 to the TV with the HDMI cord, turn on your PS3 and hold the power button for 5 seconds or so. I think that should reset the video options or something and the PS3 and TV will figure out the correct settings.

[quote name='J7.']Does PS+ require a credit card?[/QUOTE]

You can buy a physical code card at the store, and I don't think those require at credit card to redeem.

[quote name='4thHorseman']I don't know how much help I will be...

When you connect the PS3 to the TV with the HDMI cord, turn on your PS3 and hold the power button for 5 seconds or so. I think that should reset the video options or something and the PS3 and TV will figure out the correct settings.[/QUOTE]

I've already done that and it didn't help. ;_;

[quote name='waldo21212']You can buy a physical code card at the store, and I don't think those require at credit card to redeem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I've avoid PS+ for a long time simply because I thought you needed to register a credit card.

[quote name='Hente']Welp my PS3 refuses to work with an HDMI cord, I keep getting a mode unsupported error on my 720p insignia TV.
Please help me, I don't really have the money to buy component cables.[/QUOTE]

Don't know if this will help but I had a problem with my new Slim PS3 when I first got it. The thing had problems with displaying to my tv screen. After using a different HDMI cable the problem went away completely. See if you can borrow or buy a new HDMI cable for cheap.

It looks like my launch 20GB (upgraded the HDD though) console is finally giving up. Turned it on today, and while my back was turned I found it had turned off and had a blinking red light. Tried turning it back on, same thing. Fan test isn't running, even after using canned air to dust it out.

Am I fucked?

Been thinking about upgrading my PS3's stock 160 GB hard drive again. I've manually backed up a lot of free PSN videos to an external usb hard drive. (Selected "back up" after pressing triangle over a highlighted item.)

When I do upgrade to a larger PS3 hard drive....
Will my external usb hard drive's contents still be recognized and be able to restore to the newer PS3 hard drive like before?

I'm still going to do a full back up to another external hard drive, but I have been deleting these backed up videos to save space on my PS3's current hard drive.

Been thinking about upgrading my PS3's stock 160 GB hard drive again. I've manually backed up a lot of free PSN videos to an external usb hard drive. (Selected "back up" after pressing triangle over a highlighted item.)

Will my external usb hard drive's contents still be recognized and be able to restore to the newer PS3 hard drive like before?

I'm still going to do a full back up to another external hard drive, but I have been deleting these backed up videos to save space on my PS3's current hard drive.

[quote name='J7.']Thanks! I've avoid PS+ for a long time simply because I thought you needed to register a credit card.[/QUOTE]

You can also buy PSN cards to buy PS+ subscriptions off of the PSN. (You'll have to buy a $20 PSN card since 3 months of PS+ costs $17.99 if you don't find an actual 3 months PS+ code card.)

Instead of getting a new HDMI cable I just got a component cable, but now a new problem pops up, its stuck in 480i and I can't seem to find a way to change the resolution, please help. When going in video output settings, it just completely skips over the option to choose a resolution, what the hell man?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Been thinking about upgrading my PS3's stock 160 GB hard drive again. I've manually backed up a lot of free PSN videos to an external usb hard drive. (Selected "back up" after pressing triangle over a highlighted item.)

You can also buy PSN cards to buy PS+ subscriptions off of the PSN. (You'll have to buy a $20 PSN card since 3 months of PS+ costs $17.99 if you don't find an actual 3 months PS+ code card.)[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'm just curious what PSN videos did you get for free?

[quote name='Hente']Instead of getting a new HDMI cable I just got a component cable, but now a new problem pops up, its stuck in 480i and I can't seem to find a way to change the resolution, please help. When going in video output settings, it just completely skips over the option to choose a resolution, what the hell man?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure PS3 can no longer output HD through component due to the AACS Final Adopter Agreement. Basically it's because PS3 can play Bluray movies it is not allowed to transmit HD over analog anymore to comply with copy protection. BUT this may only have to do with HD Video from Blurays meaning either only movies you buy or only the additional video on Bluray game discs. It's confusing. So maybe even if you set it to the lower resolution, it will only be that low when watching Bluray movies.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/13/new-ps3-model-drops-hd-blu-ray-display-over-component/
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/aacs_final_adopter_agreement

[quote name='Hente']^Does this only apply to newer models? I am running an early 40 GB model.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's only new models or also applied to old models via a past firmware update. Sorry, but you might be able to find out somewhere online.

[quote name='J7.']Thanks. I'm just curious what PSN videos did you get for free?

[/QUOTE]

Every Wednesday night, I check the "video" section of PSN. Usually there is a free episode of a television show under "Free TV+" that I download to preview a show I might like.

Most of the time you can find first episodes of new seasons or pilot episodes available of shows.

It is usually hit or miss on full episodes, sometimes they are just clips from shows with commentary.

In the past, I've gotten episode(s) of "Burn Notice," "Covert Affairs," and "Betty White's Off Their Rockers."

There's also sometimes some free anime episodes. I've gotten a bunch of "Dragon Ball Z" epsiodes. The newest anime I've gotten is the first episode of "Fractale."

It is really nice to be able to preview all these shows. I understand that I could easily just look them up, but since it is free, I'm more inclined to watch them.

bread's done
Back