PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

Redirected question (Thanks TMK for the help):

Whenever I put in a Blu-Ray movie in my PS3, It will play for a few minutes and then the picture will freeze, but the sound will continue on. When I eject the disk, there is some kind oily subastance that I can wipe off. When I put the disk back in again, same thing happens, just not in the same place. I remove the disk, and again, an oily substance. Did something break? I dont want to keep using it if it's going to dirty the lens.

Does anyone know if the internet stuff (online gaming, web browser, etc.) will work on the PSP if you don't have wifi, but you hook it up to your PS3(w/wifi) that is connected via ethernet cable?

if so how?

Here is what I have

40GB PS3
PSP system
Wired Modem

I am trying to play PSP games online

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You need a wireless router and I don't think the PS3 is one.[/quote]

thats weird, I found a thread on Gamespot.com that you can via a ps3/w wifi connected to the internet via Eternet cord, but they never say how

[quote name='Poor2More']thats weird, I found a thread on Gamespot.com that you can via a ps3/w wifi connected to the internet via Eternet cord, but they never say how[/quote]
Unless the PS3 has native bridging capabilities I don't think it's possible. I'm sure that someone who has done this has also installed Linux and is using a Linux app to provide the bridging.

[quote name='Poor2More']http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=72888&cm_keycode=85

would that wireless router let me do all this...

-able a Wireless connection on my Laptop(has built in WiFi)
-Play Xbox Live Wirelessy? without any extra stuff
-Play PSP Online[/quote]

1) Yes
2) No (You need the wireless adapter from Microsoft - retail $100, ebay prices around $60 - or the original Xbox Wireless Adapter or something...I don't know much about that)
3) Yes

I have that exact router and it works perfectly. You should be able to use your laptop and PSP with it easily, though you'll need a wireless adapter to play on XBL over wifi.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I have that exact router and it works perfectly. You should be able to use your laptop and PSP with it easily, though you'll need a wireless adapter to play on XBL over wifi.[/quote]

One more question before I run to circuit city and grab that router

Can I run a Eternet cord to my 360 and play Xbox Live?

Can I use the wireless router to play PS3 online without anything extra

basically can I use the WIRED and Wireless features at the same time or is their a switch or sumthing

[quote name='yukine']Yes, you can use an ethernet cable with the 360.

Yes, unless you have a 20GB PS3.[/quote]

One last thing I really need to know before I pull the trigger..

Can you use the router WIRELESS & WIRED at the same time? or is their a switch

Yeah. I have my Wii, PS3, PSP, and a laptop using its wifi connection and a 360 and PC using its wired connections. I can use any combination of them at once and only be limited by the amount of displays I have.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah. I have my Wii, PS3, PSP, and a laptop using its wifi connection and a 360 and PC using its wired connections. I can use any combination of them at once and only be limited by the amount of displays I have.[/quote]

Sir you are awesome, you answered my question perfectly thanks

You can connect up to 4 wired devices to that router, and pretty much an unlimited amount of wireless connections.

Like Frisky I have the 360, PC, PS2 connected wired and the PSP, 2 Laptops, 2 DSes, and a Wii connected wirelessly.

Considering how inexpensive routers are these days there really is no excuse for not having one.

[quote name='yukine']You can connect up to 4 wired devices to that router, and pretty much an unlimited amount of wireless connections.

Like Frisky I have the 360, PC, PS2 connected wired and the PSP, 2 Laptops, 2 DSes, and a Wii connected wirelessly.

Considering how inexpensive routers are these days there really is no excuse for not having one.[/quote]

I do already have a wired router, Ethernet cables running to all of them, I just wanted a WIreless router to play PSP Online, DS online, use my laptop WIFI, and PS3 Wifi

Is there a list of PS2/1 games that are compatible with the 80GB PS3? All I can find is Sony's search thing... and it'll be a pain to search game by game.

Has anyone had issues playing back DIVX/Xvid files on the PS3. I have been playing them since the ability first appeared with no problem. Over the last few days, I have had audio sync problems any time I try to play a file. It seems to work fine for the first few minutes then gradually get worse as the show goes on.

I am using a 60gb model with 2.35 firmware. Using an HDI connection for both audio and video to a Sharp Aquos 46" D64 Unit. The lag seems to be about .5 second behind on the audio.

I have tested the files on both a PC and the X360 and the audio is in sync for both of those system. I much prefer using the PS3 and would like to get this issue resolved if possible.

Thanks for any help.

I believe you can use it to ONLY had music/video....not as the OS for the PS3. Just get a 250GB 2.5" Notebook drive for $85 at BUY.com

I just bought a 80gig PS3. My question is, do you guys usually buy warranty on PS3s? Bestbuy is offering it for $80, i think it's a bit overpriced.

Comments?

[quote name='doubledown']I believe you can use it to ONLY had music/video....not as the OS for the PS3. Just get a 250GB 2.5" Notebook drive for $85 at BUY.com[/quote]

thanks for the response. I am leaning towards doing that actually. i just want an external harddrive for my videos and music that i can also use for my ps3 as well. so is that a good deal?

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']thanks for the response. I am leaning towards doing that actually. i just want an external harddrive for my videos and music that i can also use for my ps3 as well. so is that a good deal?[/QUOTE]

You MIGHT have to format the HDD to FAT32 also...not NTFS...although, I could be wrong on that. I was thinking of upgrading my Internal one day, but we'll see. Maybe when Notebook drives get dirt cheap....$50 or less I'm looking for.

[quote name='miroresh']I just bought a 80gig PS3. My question is, do you guys usually buy warranty on PS3s? Bestbuy is offering it for $80, i think it's a bit overpriced.

Comments?[/quote]

Best Buy warranties are fantastic and have saved me over $600 on a couple lemon TVs. The replacement process was incredibly easy, too. Still, I don't know if I'd recommend it for a PS3 since they have a very low failure rate. Plus $80 seems a bit expensive if it's a two year plan. (I got the two year plan for the 360 and it was only $50-60.)

So, my brother just bought a new 40gb PS3 due to the wal-mart deal, and he brings it home, hooks it up to his tv via HDMI and for some reason it won't work. He can't even get the XMB to come up.

However, it's especially confusing because I brought over my 60gb PS3 a long time ago to watch Crank and we watched the entire thing without a problem. So, he thinks his tv is not HDCP, but then how did Crank work on his tv when I brought over my PS3? Was it just a glitch? Has Sony increased HDCP security on the PS3?

Any suggestions would be great.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Try using the composite cables, then change the PS3 settings to use HDMI as the video output.[/quote]

Agreed.. you'll have to hook it up normally and then switch over to HDMI after setting it up.

try holding down the power button when it's turning on, that resets display settings.
HDCP should only really matter when watching blu-rays.
Could also be something wrong with the ps3.

hi i was wondering...
when i watch any movie on my ps3 via dvd/blu-ray, after every 15 or 20 mins the controller choices pop up. ( the play/pause/skip stuff) right in the middle of the movie. the only way i know how to prevent this is to turn off the controller. is there any other options? lol

Is it possible to download in the background while you play a game? I can't figure it for the life in me...

Like, I can have something downloading and browser the PS3 system menus and stuff but as soon as I start a game, the download pauses.

Can I use my pstwo red,white, and yellow connector thingy on my new ps3?
The one that came with my ps3 is deffective.

[quote name='Vinny']Is it possible to download in the background while you play a game? I can't figure it for the life in me...

Like, I can have something downloading and browser the PS3 system menus and stuff but as soon as I start a game, the download pauses.[/quote]

Background downloads continue unless you're playing a game that uses the network. Makes sense for games with online play because you don't want downloads lagging you down. It's sort of spotty, though. For instance, games without online gameplay but with online leaderboards or stat tracking may stop your downloads.

[quote name='HuppSav']Can I use my pstwo red,white, and yellow connector thingy on my new ps3?
The one that came with my ps3 is deffective.[/quote]

Yes, you can. You should consider upgrading to at least an s-video cable if your TV supports it, though.

Thanks, after 7 hours I can finally play my new PS3.:applause:
The cable they gave me was defective but the pstwo one works great.
Just purchased a hdmi cable from monoprice.:drool:

I believe I figured it out that disc-based media (game discs, blu-rays, DVDs) stops background downloading, while downloaded media (videos, audio, PSN games) doesn't.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I believe I figured it out that disc-based media (game discs, blu-rays, DVDs) stops background downloading, while downloaded media (videos, audio, PSN games) doesn't.[/quote]

Not sure about that; I had the MGS4 theatrical trailer downloading while I installed the game and it was done when I went back to the XMB shortly after the install finished.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I believe I figured it out that disc-based media (game discs, blu-rays, DVDs) stops background downloading, while downloaded media (videos, audio, PSN games) doesn't.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='metaly']Not sure about that; I had the MGS4 theatrical trailer downloading while I installed the game and it was done when I went back to the XMB shortly after the install finished.[/QUOTE]

I take it that Frisk meant that when you're playing disc based media maybe? Installations probably don't bother download.

Either way, that really sucks. My PS3 makes my room an oven and my router is bogged down with too many devices and the signal isn't very strong up in my room.

so like many people on here i bought the MGS4 80gb Bundle. And I gotta say that i was a little surprised that there were no HD cables (talking about that HDMI goodness) so i figured i would purchase one online. And now my question...

What type of HDMI cable should i purchase? Does the PS3 support all types of HDMI (1.3,1.2,1.3a....) and what is the difference between the different versions and where is the cheapest place to buy it (im already looking at monoprice but its all just so confusing) so any help that you guys could offer a new PS3 owner would be great

i think the PS3 uses 1.3. here's some info from hdmi.org about 1.2 and 1.3:

HDMI 1.1:
  • Support for DVD Audio.
HDMI 1.2:
  • Adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include: Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital), changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including: availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats, ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space, requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology.
HDMI 1.2a:
  • Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features and command sets and CEC compliance tests are now fully specified.
  • Creation of version 1.2a of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS), which includes a CEC Supplement. HDMI CTS 1.2a has been updated for technical consistency with HDMI Specification 1.2a as well as to the recently released HDMI Specification 1.2.
  • Significantly, CTS 1.2a contains additional cable and connector testing and Authorized Testing Center (ATC) submission requirements. Specifically, under CTS 1.2a, the Adopter shall submit for testing to the ATC any new HDMI cable whose length exceeds previously tested cables.
  • Additionally, HDMI Licensing, LLC will maintain a list of approved connectors. For a device to pass CTS 1.2a testing at an ATC, all connectors on such device must appear on the approved connector list. To add a connector to this list, the vendor must submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing, LLC full and passing testing results.
HDMI 1.3:
  • Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
  • Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
  • Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™” (which is the consumer name describing the IEC 61966-2-4 xvYCC color standard), which removes current color space limitations and enables the display of any color viewable by the human eye.
  • New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
  • Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
  • New HD lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby® Digital and DTS®), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

i think i bought this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

but i don't think it really matters for me. my LCD (Vizio 42", model VU42LF) runs on HDMI 1.2.

an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable. Whether you pay $5 for one or $100, it'll do the same thing. Since it's digital it's on or off, unlike analog cables where there can be signal loss through crappy wires.

bread's done
Back