PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

I don't know how Rockband DLC works (like would it be available without access to your XBL account?) but couldn't you bundle rockband and the 360 together and advertise all the extra songs? You may get some of your money back that way.

I may just have to keep both. Honestly my want for a PS3 is driven by the format war being over. I would even be willing to pay for an upgraded 360 if they ever added blu-ray but I guess I will just have to wait and see. BTW... thanks for the tip about selling the 360 with advertised songs available. I never have used my credit card on my account so I would imagine it being pretty safe.

Soule

what headset do people use (for those cheapasses amongst us). I've been looking at warhawk prices on ebay and the game only seems to go for significantly less than with the headset. Is that headset worth an extra $20 or is there a decent cheap one somewhere?

I don't mean to threadjack, but I think this is appropriate for the topic considering consensus seems to be COD should have a headset too.

I'm think about picking up the MGS4 bundle but since I'm planing to play a lot of PS2 games on the 80GB PS3, I hope the current 80GB owners could share some experience about the BC. I know I could check which PS2 games are supported by PS3 on sony's website, my question is if sony lists a game as " no major problems", does that mean the game play smoothly on the 80GB PS3? Is the graphics generally better, worse or almost the same on the PS3? Thanks!

I didn't see anything about this in the forums, but has anybody has freezing issues with MGS on their PS3?

I've never played through the game and decided to pick it up. Right after Psycho Mantis, the game freezes. I've tried everything and can't get it to work. Anybody seen any issues with the game or is my disc just messed up?

Thanks!

On an HDTV, playing PS2 games with the upscaling feature from the PS3 will look much better than it would if you tried to play it using your PS2. The PS2 was just not made for HDTVs so even if you use a component video connection, it still looks like crap. I had given up playing all of my PS2 games when I first got my 52" HDTV until Sony finally implemented the upscaling feature.

Also if the PS site lists the game as having no major problems, there should be no major problems. However, if there are some problems listed for the game you are looking up, usually they are worse than they state.

40 gig? You mean 60 gig right? The 40 gig PS3 has no backwards compatibility at all.

I had no problems at all on my launch 60g PS3 if that helps. Played through MGS1 completely without a hitch.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ooo awesome if thats true. I have a 5200rpm 250gb drive I am interested in. Don't want to do it if its gonna slow it down.[/quote]

Installing a 5200rpm HDD definitely won't slow it down since the original HDD was also 5200rpm.

However, people have tested the 7200rpm and noted about a 10% speed increase on installs. On the flip side, the internal temperature increased by a couple of degrees. To me the minimal speed increase isn't worth the danger of the higher temperatures.

[quote name='finsfan0210']40gig models don't have any bc at all.[/quote]
As kingbroly said the 40gb has PS1 bc - I can confirm this personally having just played Street Fighter EX on mine. The problem probably lies in the wacky controller stuff that happens at that moment in the game. Do you have a 2nd controller? Try having it active before you launch the game.

[quote name='peteloaf']As kingbroly said the 40gb has PS1 bc - I can confirm this personally having just played Street Fighter EX on mine. The problem probably lies in the wacky controller stuff that happens at that moment in the game. Do you have a 2nd controller? Try having it active before you launch the game.[/quote]

40 gigs have BC, trust me.

I know what you're talking about, but it's after that part. It's the scene directly after, in fact.

I've actually gotten past the first initial load, but the second cut scene freezes over and over again. I'll probably just go and try to get the disc cleaned and try my luck.

Yeah, 40gb definitely has BC. I purchased a brand new PS3 yesterday, and played Metal Gear Solid just to check it out. PS2, however, doesn't work.

EVERY PS3 unit has full PS1 BC. It's the PS2 that's limited..

20/60 = Full PS2
80= Partial PS2, check the site
60= No PS2

im thinking of buying a HANNS-G 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - HG216D HDMI
it supports 1680x1050, and it has vga and hdmi, i want it to work with my ps3. would it work and would it change the look of the picture?

Whether it changes the look depends on the quality of the screen. Different screens usually have different looks.

However, remember that you don't need to get a monitor that supports HDMI. Instead, just make sure it supports the digital video port, I think it's DVI or something similar for PC monitors. Then there's a converter that you can use to use HDMI with DVI.

Yes, the 40GB has PS1 BC.

Anyway, this is something that has issues regardless of SKU (not really talking about MGS1 here), where Sony will have an update and sometimes causes in issue in one game. There might have been an update within 2.35 that messed this up, but I dunno.

Which MGS1 disc is it? Does it come from the MGS Essentials or is it the traditional PS1 disc? Also, is it the GH or non-GH version? I ask these questions also because for some games (regardless of SKU) performance varies based on what you have.

Well, what is more important about having HDMI/DVI is if it supports HDCP. That monitor does, so it should work. I don't have any experience with the PS3(though that will change today :D). I have a 22" monitor that I am going to try out with today after work today :).

You should buy one of the HP monitors like I did. I picked up the HP w1907 a few months back and love it; Call of Duty 4 looks fantastic on it.

I plan on getting a ps3 with the new 80gb bundle comming out, and had a question about the cables to use. I have a 36 inch Sony wega TV I use for gaming at the moment. It has component video inputs but only supports up to 480i. From what I understand that is the same picture quality I can get with the composite cables that come with the ps3. Is it worth it to spend the extra money and get the component cable if the tv can still only output 480i? I also have an s-video cable from my ps2 (dont even know if that would work with the ps3 yet). To anyone out there with a similar setup, what is my best option for hook up in my current situation?

Thanks

Thanks, yea thats what I figured. I got an HDTV in the living room, just about convinced the wife that its a good idea to keep the ps3 up there for her to watch HD movies. Already got my HDMI cable for that but wanted to see what was up with this other tv.

Thanks for the help

[quote name='Scorch']EVERY PS3 unit has full PS1 BC. It's the PS2 that's limited..

20/60 = Nearly Full PS2
80= Partial PS2, check the site
40= No PS2[/quote]

Fixed. There are a few games that won't run on the 20/60 or that have issues with freezing/loading. For most people, it will still seem like full compatibility (unless you want to play Tomba or Indigo Prophecy - there may be others, but those are what I've found).

That said, my 60gig ran through MGS1 without a hitch.

So I'm playing Army of Two last night in my fuckin oven of a room. It's boiling hot in here, since I haven't put my air conditioner in yet. My game freezes (PS button and all) so I go to shut down manually. I feel my PS3, and it's hot as all hell. Like I cold throw some eggs and steak on it and have me a nice breakfast kind of hot. So I restarted and played the game, and it froze again. Can this kind of stuff damage my PS3?

[quote name='Blackout542']So I'm playing Army of Two last night in my fuckin oven of a room. It's boiling hot in here, since I haven't put my air conditioner in yet. My game freezes (PS button and all) so I go to shut down manually. I feel my PS3, and it's hot as all hell. Like I cold throw some eggs and steak on it and have me a nice breakfast kind of hot. So I restarted and played the game, and it froze again. Can this kind of stuff damage my PS3?[/QUOTE]Sometimes a game has a glitch and you have to do that. In reality, it won't damage your console.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Sometimes a game has a glitch and you have to do that. In reality, it won't damage your console.[/quote]

No, I meant the overheating of the system. I remember I used to play my PS1 for hours on end and that sucker got hot quick, but I never had problems with it. I know for the 360 if it gets to hot or something like that it can lead to RROD (? maybe I'm wrong about that) Is there anything like that for the PS3 where the system gets too hot and it just breaks down?

[quote name='Blackout542']No, I meant the overheating of the system. I remember I used to play my PS1 for hours on end and that sucker got hot quick, but I never had problems with it. I know for the 360 if it gets to hot or something like that it can lead to RROD (? maybe I'm wrong about that) Is there anything like that for the PS3 where the system gets too hot and it just breaks down?[/QUOTE]If the PS3 gets too hot, it just automatically shuts off. But since the PS3 generates a lot of power, it will get hot, but not to worry (PS3 isn't exactly built on cheap components).

PS3 doesn't get the yellow light of death from overheating, only a hardware failure (which rarely happens). A PS3 console dying for overheating has next to never happened (most die from the blu-ray disc laser stopped functioning (mostly in 60GB SKUs)).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If the PS3 gets too hot, it just automatically shuts off. But since the PS3 generates a lot of power, it will get hot, but not to worry (PS3 isn't exactly built on cheap components).

PS3 doesn't get the yellow light of death from overheating, only a hardware failure (which rarely happens). A PS3 console dying for overheating has next to never happened (most die from the blu-ray disc laser stopped functioning (mostly in 60GB SKUs)).[/quote]

Ok cool. That's good to know it shuts down when it gets way to hot. I didn't know that. Thanks. :D

[quote name='Blackout542']Ok cool. That's good to know it shuts down when it gets way to hot. I didn't know that. Thanks. :D[/QUOTE]A friend of mine had it happened when he left his PS3 on for a while. But I cannot say how it functions in all SKUs (it should).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yes, the 40GB has PS1 BC.

Anyway, this is something that has issues regardless of SKU (not really talking about MGS1 here), where Sony will have an update and sometimes causes in issue in one game. There might have been an update within 2.35 that messed this up, but I dunno.

Which MGS1 disc is it? Does it come from the MGS Essentials or is it the traditional PS1 disc? Also, is it the GH or non-GH version? I ask these questions also because for some games (regardless of SKU) performance varies based on what you have.[/quote]

I'm having issues on disc 1 (Greatest Hits). That's what makes it frustrating to determine whether its an SKU problem, since there are so many factors.

Well, don't want to be rude... but due to your current set up you obviously aren't a high definition freak. So you wouldn't see the different between component and composite anyways, so just stick to composite.

[quote name='smiggity']I have left mine on for over 24hrs straight (Downloading and Updating the MGO beta) and nothing bad as of yet.[/quote]
Mine have pretty much been on for months folding and no problem.

i had a 32" wega, it was/is a great set, just not hd.
there was a noticeable improvement going from composite to component with the 360.
im pretty sure you can pick up a pretty darn cheap set of component ps2 cables (same cables)

[quote name='paz9x']i had a 32" wega, it was/is a great set, just not hd.
there was a noticeable improvement going from composite to component with the 360.
im pretty sure you can pick up a pretty darn cheap set of component ps2 cables (same cables)[/quote]

Yeah pretty cheap. I don't know about the exact same tv,but from you what said mine is very similar.

Yeah, at least use s-video over composite. Component and s-video will look pretty much identical on an SD set.

HD is great, but I don't think anything will amaze me more than when I first plugged an s-video cable into my old Wega. :D

If you're going to buy an extra set of cables, you might as well try to get Component. It's much easier than bending behind your TV to line up the damn pins on the S-Video plug. If not, just stick with the composite until you get an HDTV.

[quote name='RudyPants']I'm having issues on disc 1 (Greatest Hits). That's what makes it frustrating to determine whether its an SKU problem, since there are so many factors.[/QUOTE]Too bad I never made it there on my copy (which is GH) because I'd test to see if I have an issue. I'll try searching around the net (at a few PS forums) seeing if anyone else had that issue.

bread's done
Back